Disney Pulling All Refrigerators from Resort Hotel Rooms

If you are counting on that in-room fridge on your next stay at a Disney resort, be prepared to be disappointed.

It's being reported by Stitch Kingdom that Disney has announced plans to remove all refrigerators from all resort rooms at The Walt Disney World Resort, Disneyland Resort, and Aulani Resort. The reason for the removals appears to be a possible manufacturer's defect.

The only resort rooms that will not be affected by this are DVC rooms, cabins at Fort Wilderness, and family suites at The Art of Animation and All-Star Music resorts.

If you are in need of a refrigerator due to medical issues, Disney will have a limited number of refrigerators available on a first-come, first-served basis.

The replacement of the in-room refrigerators is expected to take up to four months.

UPDATE 7/13/2013:
Guests currently in Walt Disney World are reporting back to us with more information on this process. WDWFG Forum Member MrHub tells us "They are definitely not pulling all fridges, just one model." Disney was asking to check the fridges in occupied guest rooms to be sure all was good. The Manager MrHub spoke with said that "they are just pulling the one model until they get replacements." Mr Hub is staying at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Story by Traci C., Source

Sarah @ Running at Disney wrote on Thu, 07/11/2013 - 18:21:

As someone who drinks a lot of water and likes to keep bottles in the fridge while at WDW, this is VERY disappointing. I'm just glad I'm a DVC member so I will still at least have one when staying on points.

NSCRGal5 wrote on Thu, 07/11/2013 - 18:26:

NSCRGal5's picture

Whew! I am so happy that we will be staying in our DVC rooms for the very first time! Cold water & breakfast food is a must!

Danika wrote on Thu, 07/11/2013 - 18:30:

ummm, will fridges be removed in the Pop Resort? I'll be in Disney in 2 weeks with my young daughter, and if there's no fridge, we'll both be really upset!! =(

Sofee P Kravitz wrote on Thu, 07/11/2013 - 18:35:

and what about individuals who MUST have a refrigerator for medication? Any word on consideration for this situation....good reason to stay off property

Marion Gagliano wrote on Thu, 07/11/2013 - 18:54:

Will they be replaced?

Lori wrote on Thu, 07/11/2013 - 19:04:

Anyone know when this is going to be the case? We'll be there in a couple of weeks.

Guess I'd better figure out a plan B for the insulin in case we're not one of the 'first come' and can't get a fridge. I was kind of counting on that particular amenity.

Patty B wrote on Thu, 07/11/2013 - 20:31:

This is NOT right!!!!! I booked a Disney resort with the mini-refrigerator for having the convenience of cold drinks, water etc. in my room available to me. I hope my stay next month will not be affected by this awful decision on Disney's part. I hope they will think more about this and have second thoughts! We are paying enough to stay on the property and the expense of the entry to the theme parks etc. to be able to have this small amenity available in the guest rooms!!!

A very concerned Disney guest.

Ashley Martin wrote on Thu, 07/11/2013 - 20:42:

The title of this article is misleading. While they are being pulled, they're being replaced, and the article makes it sound like they're just not going to have fridges in the rooms anymore.

Robin wrote on Thu, 07/11/2013 - 23:46:

The refrigerators do have issues. We stayed at the Polynesian resort June 7 - 14 in Samoa which was recently renovated. I had to call to complain that the fridge was hot and not working. When they came, they said the cabinet that the fridge is in, must leave the doors open or the fridge would stay hot. Totally stupid because those doors had nothing to do with the fridge. Guess what, they were right. I had to leave those doors open and the fridge worked. Hated the room having the doors open.

Ruth wrote on Fri, 07/12/2013 - 00:01:

I will be staying at the Disney All Star movie resort in December. Will they be replaced by that time? I know we always use our refridgerator when we stay.

laurie wrote on Fri, 07/12/2013 - 02:45:

Yikes!!! I have some clients who will be awfully unhappy. Going on a limited budget, and were counting on that fridge to keep kids drinks and breakfast foods in.

Kristen K. wrote on Fri, 07/12/2013 - 13:37:

Danika - As far as we've heard, yes, Pop Century will be affected.

Sofee & Lori - I would call right now and talk to Disney about the storage of insulin/medications. It's much better to be able to get a direct answer from your resort, perhaps have them add a note to your reservation that you have a medical need.

Patty B - The mini-fridges that are being replaced due to a defect, Disney is thinking of guest safety in this decision. Though some people will have an inconvenience the action did need to be taken for the health and safety of all future guests.

Ruth - Replacement is expected to take up to four months, which would take us to November.

Paperless wrote on Sat, 07/13/2013 - 00:04:

While it is an inconvenience, I think it is rather spoiled and entitled of people who just want the fridge for cold drinks to pitch a fit. There are people who actually NEED the fridge for their medication. I certainly hope no one who is not in NEED will not take advantage and lie to reception to gain access for one. Your want for cold drinks does not trump someone's NEED for their medication.

disneyman wrote on Thu, 08/01/2013 - 14:45:

Just completed a stay at Port Orleans Riverside and the refrigerators are still in the rooms.. They just have a sign on them saying not to use them and they are unplugged with the cord wrapped up with an out of service sign on the cord. There are many unhappy guests......some wondering why if it such a safety issue they would leave possible defective equipment in a room. You are not even informed of the issue at check in.When you try and use the refrigerator you discover the problem. Yes,it is an inconvience but when you book a room with a fridge being an amenity and are not informed of a change by Disney at all prior to arrival in your room that is not good customer service.

Kristen K. wrote on Thu, 08/01/2013 - 14:52:

Thank you so much for the update Disneyman! I can imagine that there are many unhappy guests over this. We appreciate you keeping us up to date on the issue.

Holly P. wrote on Sun, 08/25/2013 - 18:17:

We are staying at Art of Animation in September and just received a letter that they will be pulling the refrigerators from those rooms as well. I wonder if we received the letter by mistake or if the refrigerators in Art of Animation were subsequently found to be problematic.

Kristen K. wrote on Mon, 08/26/2013 - 16:05:

It could be either Holly - I haven't heard anything about this. Thanks so much for posting an update!

Scott wrote on Mon, 08/26/2013 - 18:47:

We are staying at The Caribbean Beach resort in September and just received a letter that they will be pulling the refrigerators from those rooms as well. I feel with all the "MAGIC" Disney does behind the scenes - make the "Replacement Magic" happen sooner! They make to much money to not be able to get this done ASAP. The guest service number is (407) 827-7760 -

Debbie wrote on Mon, 08/26/2013 - 21:50:

We had no refrigerator in our room and the ice machine in the toy story building were broken and th e ice was always empty at refill station. It was 8/10/13 week very hot with no cold drinks wasn't a nice experence.

Meghan L wrote on Tue, 08/27/2013 - 02:48:

Staying at AoA in Sept, just got the fridge letter today... bummer. I already placed my order with Garden Grocer. Maybe I'll pack a cooler instead of a suitcase.

Joe M wrote on Mon, 09/02/2013 - 00:49:

We just spent 8 days at the All-Star Sports resort in Disneyland. Yes, there was a letter taped to the fridge advising us that we should not use the fridge and that they are being replaced over a four month period. The hotel desk clerk advised me that every fridge in Disneyworld is affected, about 20,000 units.

We like to keep milk in the room for the kids and cold soda and water too, so we went to Target and bought a styrofoam cooler for about $5. Every floor of the hotel has an ice machine and the rooms include an ice bucket. We just refilled the ice each morning and never had a problem, the inconvenience was slight. When we checked out we abandonned the cooler outside for the next people and noticed other families had done the same.

Tracy wrote on Tue, 09/10/2013 - 19:55:

Awesome, so when we go in 2 weeks we will have no fridge and no restaurant at Sports, classic!

Debra Knox wrote on Mon, 09/16/2013 - 13:58:

It is a small blip. I would rather bring a cooler or purchase one than risk some sort of electric malfunction possibly causing a fire. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches folks. I hope as others have said that people with medical considerations are given first priority. That being said I have never known Disney to be anything less than accommodating. Ask nicely and you might be surprised.