Touching The Slipper: A WDWFG Community Tradition

Here at Walt Disney World for Grownups, we have a thriving member forum of friendly Disney lovers who are always ready to talk about the latest Disney News and Events. With message boards covering a broad range of topics like dining, shopping, hotels, trip planning, cruising, DVC, and you can always find someone willing to share their experiences and answer your travel planning questions. It's a great group of people sharing a passion for all things Disney.

Touch The Slipper With UsHave You Touched the Slipper?

Many of our forum members who have been traveling at the same time have arranged to meet up for cocktails, Dole Whips and even Fireworks Cruises and to enjoy each others company. However, not all of us can travel together and for those who aren't along we pay tribute in another way. Forum member "Mike & Donna" came up with a way (bringing it from another community) to stay connected and bring us together on vacation even though we don't always get to be there at the same time. We call it "Touching The Slipper."

The Slipper Mosaic in Cinderella CastleThe Slipper Mosaic in Cinderella Castle

While strolling through Cinderella's Castle, stop for a moment to admire the beautiful mosaics mural that shares the story of this lovely princess. The fourth mosaic of the mural brings us to that climatic moment when Cinderella eases her foot into the glass slipper. WDWFG Community members like to stop for a moment and touch the mosaic glass slipper to remember the friends and family that can't be with us. Many of them take pictures while touching the slipper and share them on the forums when they get back.

Thanks so much to forum members JoAnn C and MrHub for the use of their slipper pictures in this article. Come on over to the message boards and join the community. Next time you're in that most magical place, have someone take a picture of you touching the slipper and come back to post it in the forum. We'd be honored to share a moment of your trip.

Jan wrote on Fri, 04/12/2013 - 13:24:

My friend and I had some time with these mosaics a couple weeks ago during spring break. During really late Extra Magic Hours, there was no one in the castle breezeway around 1:30-2:00 a.m., so we had the opportunity to really study and appreciate the beauty of those mosaics and take photos without 50 people standing in front of them. It was really magical!

salejune wrote on Fri, 04/12/2013 - 15:19:

salejune's picture

What a great tradition! I'll have to do it next year when we go back. Thank you for sharing.

JoAnn C wrote on Fri, 04/12/2013 - 22:23:

JoAnn C's picture

I will be doing this in November

EFB13 wrote on Fri, 04/12/2013 - 22:52:

Heading to Magic Kingdom tomorrow for my Birthday , so excited! Will be sure to touch the slipper:)

charles77598 wrote on Tue, 04/16/2013 - 21:15:

charles77598's picture

Wow! this is so cool. I will touch the slipper and hopefully photograph it.

Zena wrote on Tue, 04/23/2013 - 05:40:

I lost my mum to cancer in 2005 but 6 months before, we took her to Orlando and she was so happy there. Next time I go, I will be touching the slipper in memory of my wonderful mum. What a lovely idea guys x

PamL wrote on Fri, 06/21/2013 - 13:38:

We are going to WDW in October for the Food and Wine Festival. That in itself is a GOOD thing for grownups. My husband and I were there in 2010. Did not tell the kids we were going. Just took a picture of Cinderella's Castle,sent it to them and asked them to guess where we were. This year we will be taking our children with us to the F&W Festival. It has been 13 years since they were there. All of us went to Disney World for the Millenium. It is our 10th trip to Disney since 1981. Our children are now respectively 39,37 and 27. Our 37 year old son is bringing his wife. And their new 2 month old son. We are so looking forward to this trip of a lifetime.

Tavie wrote on Sat, 06/22/2013 - 03:37:

Hi guys,

So glad this tradition continues. This actually was started by myself and my friends on the GEnie WDW forums way back in 1993, if you can believe it! Here's a post where I talk about the tradition: http://tavie.tumblr.com/post/8130938223/touchtheslipper

There's even an article about Disney "Superfans" in a 1995 issue of the old "Disney" magazine that shows me at age 15 touching the slipper!

Kristen K. wrote on Sat, 06/22/2013 - 13:32:

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment Tavie! It's fun to hear a little more about the history of the tradition. <3

Kristen K. wrote on Sat, 06/22/2013 - 14:45:

Have a great trip PamL! Walt Disney World is a phenomenal place to spend time with families no matter what age the "kids" are!

JMed wrote on Wed, 03/05/2014 - 16:25:

JMed's picture

I have to remember this!!!! Note going in my planning book now!