Treasured Souvenirs: Pick-A-Pearl at Walt Disney World

There are many creative and off the beaten path experiences that you partake in at the Walt Disney World Resort. One of my favorites is the "Pick-A-Pearl" spots that can be found in a variety of locations around the property. For princesses both young and old Pick-A-Pearl can be an exciting and memorable souvenirs that will last through the ages.

If you're looking for an elegant yet affordable keepsake at Walt Disney World, why not give Pick-A-Pearl a try. Pick-A-Pearl spots can be found at Epcot's Japan Pavilion, Downtown Disney and at the Beach Club Resort; with the Japan Pavilion being the favorite amongst many guests. No matter which location you chose, you can be sure that it's a suspenseful choice for shopping fun.

Cast Member Opening the OysterCast Member Opening the Oyster
Pick-A-Pearl costs start at about $17 for the opportunity to choose an oyster and find what treasure lies inside. From a tank of oysters you can pick you're favorite one, they all look similar in the tank but depending on the depth that they were grown at in nature and length of time they spent there you can discover a rainbow of pearly surprises. Sizes generally range from 6 to 6.5 mm and up, the colors could be white, cream, pink, gray, or blue. I usually get white or creamy pearls, but only chance knows what awaits you inside!

Treasure!!Treasure!!
Once you have your beautiful pearl, these locations offer a wide variety of settings options (at an additional cost) for all price ranges to have your treasure placed into a jewelry piece that it can be worn for years in the future. You may also simply take your new pearl home in a silk bag and save it until you have enough matching pearls to create a more magnificent jewel, earrings or necklace.

A Happy Princess and Her PearlA Happy Princess and Her Pearl
I've had a fondness for pearls since I was a small girl, and any chance I have to add to my collection is fantastic in my book! My husband took me to the Beach Club location to help celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. Do you have a collection of pearl trinkets? Have you taken a chance and picked your own pearl? Leave me a message below telling me what your treasure hunting has brought!

Regina wrote on Thu, 01/19/2012 - 23:43:

I don't know if they do it at all locations, but the show they put on at the Japan pavilion is really good. They do a whole dramatic ceremony! The woman I watched harvest the pearl was soooo enthusiastic and fun. I would recommend going there for pearls.

Freya wrote on Fri, 01/20/2012 - 06:49:

Freya's picture

I've done that twice in Epcot. Both my pearls are slightly pink and I have one set on a butterfly pendant and one on a dolphin pendant. I got both of the pendants at the pick-a-pearl shop. I think I'm going to have to go take pictures now,

JoAnn C wrote on Sat, 01/21/2012 - 15:33:

JoAnn C's picture

I haven't seen this at Disney but have seen similar experiences while in Hawaii three years ago. Do they guarantee you get a pearl? With my luck, I would pick one without a pearl.

Cortney wrote on Thu, 01/26/2012 - 18:31:

I've done the pick a pearl in Japan a few times and got some amazing pearls. I have gotten many colors including blue, gray, pink, and even got twins!

Kristen K. wrote on Sat, 01/28/2012 - 17:30:

Cortney that's fantastic! What lucky picks you've made!

Disneyforlife212 wrote on Mon, 04/23/2012 - 13:41:

I just did this for the first time last week while we were there for our 2 yr. anniversary! We went to the one in Japan Epcot as it was highly recommended from a friend and through research I did before the trip:) it was such a fun expeirience and the cast members that do it for you are so enthusiastic and sweet. I got a 7 mm goldish colored pearl that was set into a ring as my anniversary present. It's so beautiful! I think pick a pearl will be one of our new Disney trip traditions! So fun!:)

Alice wrote on Fri, 08/10/2012 - 03:37:

My boyfriend and I just went to Disney World this summer (both our first time, at the age of 25 and 24 respectively!) I was so excited to try this, as I am a huge jewelry and pearl lover.

We bought four oysters at Pick A Pearl in Epcot Japan. I picked three of them and my boyfriend picked one. The first one I picked had two twin 7.5mm white pearls, what luck! The second and third oyster I picked each had a 7mm white pearl in it.

My boyfriend's oyster was opened last, and now I understand what they mean by the expression "Save the best for last!" His oyster contained a 7.5mm SILVER PEARL! I couldn't believe it! It was literally a SILVER/GREY pearl with a purple lustre! It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life. I wish I could upload a picture here to show!

Anyway, I had five pearls total, so of course I had them all set in different sterling silver settings. The twin 7.5mm white pearls I made into stud earrings that had petals around the pearls. I made two pendants out of the two 7mm white pearls, one heart cage pendant where the pearl floats freely, and one Japanese symbol pendant that means "Eternal Happiness and Long Life" with the pearl embedded in it. As for the silver pearl, my boyfriend picked a sterling silver ring setting that had three white Swarovski crystals on either side of the pearl to really show off the silver in the pearl. I'm wearing it on my ring finger. All my pearls are beautiful! :)

aosdesign wrote on Sun, 12/16/2012 - 02:20:

aosdesign's picture

You can find a beautiful pearl cage to match with your pearl for a fraction of the cost at Epcot if you buy before you go. Check out our etsy store at :

nikamel wrote on Thu, 02/21/2013 - 11:41:

Last trip in October I finally picked a pearl at Japan. It was beautiful. I had it put in a charm setting for a necklace and everytime I put it on I think of being at Disney!!!

Taralyn wrote on Thu, 05/30/2013 - 16:45:

We are going to Disney in a few months, and I had heard about this but was not sure where in the park to go to! So, the "japan" area is Epcot is the best? Thanks so much for all the info! :0) I'm SO excited! I'm just confused about one thing. So, I can buy the pearl for around $17? Then what do I do? Is there a "jewelry" area where I can then ask for it to be put into a necklace? Or if I get two, earings? Is it all done right there? And how much does the jewelry cost? I would most likely get a necklace. THANKS!!

Kristen K. wrote on Fri, 05/31/2013 - 13:20:

Hi Taralyn!

The Japan Pavilion is the most popular place to get this done. They will have an array of settings that you can chose from right there, prices vary depending on the setting but the most simple start around $25 and go up depending on the type of metal and if there are any accent stones.

Have fun!

Emily wrote on Mon, 07/15/2013 - 19:16:

I went to Disney last month with my husband and our family. I noticed that most pearls in Japan in Epcot usually range from 6mm to a 7mm. We also went to Blizzard Beach located at Disney and their pearls ranged from 8mm to 9mm I got two pearls at BB and one was 8.5mm and the other was 9.3mm! They were beautiful. Two of my nieces also got pearls there and their pearls were both 8mm. I got another pearl at Epcot Japan for my mother and it was a 7mm. Just a little piece of advice if you want big pearls!

Kristen K. wrote on Tue, 07/16/2013 - 12:11:

Great tip Emily - thanks so much!

Stephanie lucas wrote on Thu, 10/31/2013 - 14:55:

I went to this shop in the summer of 1999, I am excited to see it is still around. I still have my pendant that I got, my necklace broke not long after. We went to the beach resort location, and I picked out my shell which contained a beautiful off white pearl. I placed it in a pendant I named happy summer, a 14k yellow gold dolphin that sits on top of the pearl. It is so beautiful still to this day!

oldtink wrote on Tue, 03/11/2014 - 20:32:

oldtink's picture

Hi
I have done this a number of time. I have a pink, grey, white, and have given a blue and cream one away. I love the process, and yes, I think the hairy ones have the bigger pearls, although I can't promise the color. I do have mine set there in pendants so far. I always bring a chain with me so I can wear it. I even had my husband select one on his last choir trip and had it set for me.
I REALLY want a ring this time, but all I know at this point is that my friend and I plan to get the pearl, If I luck in and get a pair of them, I will make earrings as a gift. I allow myself two picks to decide what to do. Its a treat and one of the posts above is correct that the pavilion does a cool show.
It's adult fun without the guilt.

listink wrote on Sat, 05/03/2014 - 16:22:

I love pick pearl, it like a sickness too ,just like my case of micketitoesus I have. if there a pick a pearl place with I a ml of me I can find if, and I have to pick. I always go for the ugliest looking one and get the most beautiful pearls that way. sometimes the bumpy big ones have two in them. one year I gave them as Christmas gifts.