2012 Resort Refillable Mugs

Login to post comments
32 posts / 0 new
ANParker's picture
2012 Resort Refillable Mugs

Does anyone have a picture of the newest refillable mugs? DH and I were just talking about them tonight and I wondered what they looked like. Smile

J.P.'s picture

When I went in Feb 2012 the mugs were the same as in Sept 2011. I don't have a pic but it's the fab 5 playing in and around a pool.

JoAnn C's picture

I haven't seen any posts on new designs for this year. I'm not sure if there is a new design for this year. There's been a few people on the site who have been to WDW this year, so I'm sure they'll let us know if they have a new design.

The mug I got in November 2011 is work. There's a picture of the mugs in this article from the Disney Food Blog.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/06/13/2012-disney-dining-plan-changes/

ANParker's picture

Thanks guys! I'm kinda bummed there hasn't been a design change since we already own the current version. Ah well. Nothing to fret about anyway.

Brad's picture

I would like to make a donation to the fund to pay for them to go back to having different art at each resort.

subvetss's picture

I go along with that Brad since I have at least 2 mugs from each resort except Saratoga Springs Resort and all the generic ones
Joe

ANParker's picture

I definitely think Disney going back to specific resort mugs is a great idea! Not only will you be getting a souvenir from where you choose to stay while on vacation, but it would help to regulate people who abuse the privilege.

Mase's picture

Count me in as well. Has AKL EVER had a themed one? In the past 3 trips, all 3 have been the same...... waiting

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

AJW's picture
AJW

Mase wrote:
Count me in as well. Has AKL EVER had a themed one? In the past 3 trips, all 3 have been the same...... waiting

Good question. I stayed at AKL waaaaay back in 2003 (I think), and I would guess they had a themed mug then... (lot of help, I know...)

Mase's picture

AJW wrote:
Mase wrote:

Good question. I stayed at AKL waaaaay back in 2003 (I think), and I would guess they had a themed mug then... (lot of help, I know...)

lol

Its all good... 2003 is a ways back. That was my trip from hell to Disney in 2003... lol

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Jess's picture

Mase wrote:

They had different one's last year we just didn't get mugs

Mase wrote:

Yeah I'm pretty sure they have, I think we might have them in a suitcase somewhere - I shall attempt to investigate!

I really liked the individual resort art mugs but unfortunatly I can't see Disney bringing this back, especially with all this RFID tech being installed, that'll do the job in stopping the resort hoppers (which I'm a little bummed about as we'll have friends staying at a different resort and like going to visit each others resorts!)

[url='http://salocainwonderland.blogspot.com']Saloca in Wonderland[/url] <--- blog!

Miss Mikki's picture

Reviving this thread from last year - I heard that there were new refillable mug designs every two years. Does anyone know if new designs are imminent? I would love a new design next time we visit (hopefully this year), as I have a few of the 2011/12 design. I am kicking myself as we moved house and I got rid of some of my old resort specific mugs, I hadn't realised that they don't make them anymore - probably collectors items now!

no ticker Sad

Kristen K.'s picture

I would LOVE Resort specific mugs to come back. I'd even pay a little more for them, AND it would help with the problem of people taking the mugs all over the place and reusing them.

finngirl's picture

I pitched a couple of Dixie Landings mugs 2 years ago. Dumb, dumb, dumb! eek

I would love to have the resort specific mugs back too.

Diana

Time marches on. Eventually you realize it's doing it across your face.

Miss Mikki's picture

Miss Mikki wrote:
Reviving this thread from last year - I heard that there were new refillable mug designs every two years. Does anyone know if new designs are imminent? I would love a new design next time we visit (hopefully this year), as I have a few of the 2011/12 design. I am kicking myself as we moved house and I got rid of some of my old resort specific mugs, I hadn't realised that they don't make them anymore - probably collectors items now!

It is a lovely day here, so I thought I would clear out the garage. There were a couple of boxes that we hadn't unpacked when we moved house. So I delved in and look what I found!

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg162.92 KB

no ticker Sad

finngirl's picture

Miss Mikki wrote:
Miss Mikki wrote:

It is a lovely day here, so I thought I would clear out the garage. There were a couple of boxes that we hadn't unpacked when we moved house. So I delved in and look what I found!

OK - now I feel even dumber! Why, oh why did I throw those out? Lucky you to find them!

Diana

finngirl's picture

OMG! My son asked me to check a couple of his boxes in the basement - does this mean he's finally going to start taking his stuff out of our place? eek

Anyway, buried at the bottom of one of the boxes was this beauty. I thought they had all been pitched during the last move. Now I just have to find the lid. I'm suffering withdrawal from Disney symptoms today, and this just totally cheered me up!

PreviewAttachmentSize
old_dixie_landings_mug_small.jpg
old_dixie_landings_mug_small.jpg34.42 KB

Diana

disneydoc's picture

those are awesome, finngirl! I tossed all our AllStar Music ones. I think need a new one from AK or BWV. Smile

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

Miss Mikki's picture

Hi Diana, it is great that you found one of those original mugs! I used to have that design too, but I really think that is long since gone, but I was still pleased to find my Brer Rabbit design mug!

Any news on new designs for 2013 yet?

no ticker Sad

finngirl's picture

They were still the mugs from last year for our trip last week. I wish there were new ones - I thought these ones were boring. I really wish they would go back to resort-specific ones.

Diana

Kristen K.'s picture

I really miss the resort specific mugs.

JMUDukz's picture

You'd think they would want to do resort specific so they could tell who was filling up outside of their home resort.... laugh

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Kristen K.'s picture

JMUDukz wrote:
You'd think they would want to do resort specific so they could tell who was filling up outside of their home resort.... laugh

Sadly I think that change was entirely to do with price. The more they order, the cheaper they but them at, the higher their overall profit margin on the refillable mugs. Then if guests want something with the hotel name on it they have to go to the gift shop and pick something else out. From a business standpoint it makes complete sense, lower overhead and drives further sales. From a guest POV, I hate it.

JMUDukz's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
JMUDukz wrote:

Sadly I think that change was entirely to do with price. The more they order, the cheaper they but them at, the higher their overall profit margin on the refillable mugs. Then if guests want something with the hotel name on it they have to go to the gift shop and pick something else out. From a business standpoint it makes complete sense, lower overhead and drives further sales. From a guest POV, I hate it.

This is a good point. The money they lose from a little bit of soda is probably nothing to what they're making from people buying more souvenirs....

subvetss's picture

You would have to drink about 500 free sodas to reach the ' break even' point with Disney. Disney cast members will NEVER say a word to anyone filling a mug from any resort any where at any time. ( This info from a retired manager of a Disney resort and old shipmate of mine). Back in the 90's, when we bought most of our mugs they were good to be used for a life time any time you visited a resort.
Joe

6sixgees's picture

I visited in April of this year and it is still the Fab 5 playing around a pool. I did a split stay from ASM to CBR and the mugs traveled with us. I plan on having them travel with us again this summer to AKL.

WDWfanatic's picture

I would not use my previous trip mugs on a future trip. They are sold to us with one intention, and to do otherwise feels like stealing to me. I'll buy new ones. I'm on vacation, drinks are one of the necessary items on my budget.

There are local charities who would be happy to receive our old mugs. After I am done saving 1 of each design for each daughter first, of course.

Tammi

Eeyore's picture

Mugs were the same a few weeks ago as 5 years ago...I think it's time for a change!

JMUDukz's picture

How much are resort mugs these days?? I know they're included with the dining plan, and I'm crunching numbers to see if it's worth buying the plan or just paying out of pocket.

The refillable mugs are $15.49+tax.