A 2013 vacation dilemma

Login or register to post comments
25 replies [Last post]
J.P.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 12/08/2010
Posts: 439
A 2013 vacation dilemma

So, after returning from my 4th Disney trip in 4 years (just got back Feb 2012 mickey ), my hubby says to me:

DH: Boy, that was fun! But perhaps we can try somewhere else next year.

Me: Oh, you mean like AKL?

DH: I was thinking more like somewhere other than Disney World.

Me: Oh, like Disneyland?

DH: No, I mean somewhere not affiliated with Disney, like Jamaica or another Caribbean island.

Me: ......................

I was hoping some of you may have experience either:
a) Convincing a dear spouse that Disney is INDEED the best place to go back to, or
b) have been somewhere nice in the caribbean you'd like to share with me Smile

Thanks for any and all suggestions! And P.S. neither of us want to do a cruise (although I did suggest a Disney caribbean cruise, just in case he was up for it!)

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4355

I love islands, but I've never done any Caribbean ones. I wouldn't try too hard to convince him to do Disney again if he's not up for it. Mix it up a bit! If you push too hard he might start not liking Disney and then you've got real problems. Much better to take one alternative trip and keep the Disney magic alive in my opinion.

Kris1971's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2011
Posts: 2032

I'm leaving tomorrow for my 4th trip to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Jamaica. Its an adults only resort only 15 minutes from the Montego Bay airport. Its gorgeous, the food is good, the people are super friendly, and my best friend and I have been going back ever since we found it in 2009. Its not Disney, but if you're looking for a great island vacation, I highly recommend it.

__________________

Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 6874

Have fun Kris!

__________________

mickey Markmickey


"To all that come to this happy place, welcome."
"PAGING MR. MORROW,......MR. TOM MORROW"
"WARNING - you may experience sudden hunger from all the picture and talk of FOOD around here!"


PhotobucketWho's going to WDW or DL this year ? / Your most artistic Disney photo's /My Disney Fix /
Tikiman Pages / Mrhubs Disney FaceBook Page / Other Webcams/Forum Rules

Offline
Joined: 11/16/2011
Posts: 416

I wouldn't push him too hard to do Disney again either. I have been wanting to stay at Atlantis resort the commercials on TV make it look really beautiful and I have checked the rates online and its pretty reasonable. Maybe a break from Disney and the awesome Disney service might send him running back to Disney with open arms and then your problem will be solved. Good luck and enjoy you island vacation.

__________________

Offline
Joined: 02/10/2011
Posts: 591

We did a Caribbean cruise the first week of Jan. I know you said you're not interested in the cruise part. The cruise went to Honduras, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel. The islands were great for a day, but I could not imagine spending a whole vacation at any of them. They were poor and very touristy, and honestly not that nice. I've heard great things about Atlantis, and the Sandals resorts are supposed to be very nice. We did the culture thing to expose our kids to how people in third world countries live, and they were shocked. They just wanted to get back to the ship and their comfort zone. Hopefully they learned some kind of lesson, seeing the third world culture first hand. If you want nice resorty places I would not recommend the western Caribbean, unless we missed the "nice" parts.

__________________

Julie

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

Kris1971's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2011
Posts: 2032

mrhub wrote:
Have fun Kris!

Thanks MrHub!

__________________

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5396

Brad wrote:
I love islands, but I've never done any Caribbean ones. I wouldn't try too hard to convince him to do Disney again if he's not up for it. Mix it up a bit! If you push too hard he might start not liking Disney and then you've got real problems. Much better to take one alternative trip and keep the Disney magic alive in my opinion.

Yeah.... cant agree more. Disney is one of those places where you either like or you dont. There really isnt an inbetween on it... and right now it seems like he is crossing to the inbetween a bit... so I would say if ya wanna keep going... take a break from it this time, and it will feel just that more magical the next time.

emmaanne's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/20/2011
Posts: 416

We went to Riviera Maya for our Honeymoon and stayed at the Adventura Spa Palace Resort....it was AMAZING!!! Its about an hour from Cancun...and about half the price of a Sandals resort. Its Aduts only (but they do have a resort next door called Adventura Palace Resort that if family friendly, and the adults can go to the Spa Palace for dining and to enjoy the spa). The service is AMAZING! They definately treat you like royalty.. There are about 9 different resturaunts to choose from (they are all amazing) between the two resorts and you can also visit the other Palace Resorts in the area. There are pools, a swim up bar, and a lagoon where you can snorkle. And the Spa.. well its amazing!! And its all inclusive!! Alcohol and all!

Anywho.. here is the website.. http://www.palaceresorts.com/aventuraspa/

__________________

March 2-10, 2012 | Pop
2012 Trip Pictures!!





crazycatperson's picture
Online
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 1955

I'm in the same boat - I could happily go to Disney World every year, but hubby likes to mix things up. I consider myself fortunate if I can get him to Orlando every other year. I'm not going to push for more than that (unless HE suggests it, of course).

As for the Caribbean, we've never been.

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 11252

I hear that Atlantis is fantastic! However I found the rest of Nassau to be a pit.
Nassau and CastAway Cay are the extent of my Caribbean experience so far, and that's only because of the Disney Cruise.
Seriously... never getting off the boat there again unless I'm headed to Atlantis.

My Best Friend Bekah continues to try to convince me that there are places to vacation other than Disney, but I just don;t believe here. I'm taking a Western Caribbean Cruise on NCL next week to Mexico, Belize and Bay Islands (the inlaws picked it) so I'll let you know if any of those spots are fun.

__________________

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 4361

My parents are going on their second trip to Punta Cana (Dominican Republic). They love the all-inclusive resorts. My friends went to Atlantis in November and loved it.

__________________

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

Ohh maybe to indulge both of you..you could try the Disney Hilton Head, Vero Beach or even Aulaini Resorts??! There is a little Disney magic in those places!

__________________

mickey Bella


J.P.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 12/08/2010
Posts: 439

Wow! Thanks everyone, what great suggestions! I'm going to look into the resorts mentioned. awesome

I think you may be right about skipping a year to keep things magical for the both of us.
Although, kudos to Bella for the Disney Beach suggestion!

I'm looking forward to doing some research!!!!!

Jess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/04/2011
Posts: 3278

I agree with what everyone else said about not risking getting him burned out on disney. But I have no suggestion on the Carribean as I have never been... Me and Mase were just talking about this the other day acutally.... We were talking about how much it is to stay and Aluni and how we would have to save points up for a couple of years to go....then we were both like...Why would we go to aluni? Neither of us like the beach or the outdoorsy things so unless there was a theme park there, there would be no point in going....LOL....Luckily we both have the same taste in vacation destinations so hopefully it will never be a problem....but good luck on your reasearching

__________________

RobynPrincess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2010
Posts: 1811

i think divorce is the only option here laugh

i am in the same boat, hubby has said the same thing to me but i think i might be able to convince him hawaii is an option Wink

__________________

Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Offline
Joined: 02/12/2012
Posts: 237

I know how that feels. My family are always up for a Disney holiday but my BF (I think) is done with Florida for a while, though he could surprise me *fingers crossed* and change his mind, but if not, I might have to see my next trip as the last for a while. sad

As much as I want to venture off to other places, it's always extra nice have some Disney magic on the horizon!

__________________

Saloca in Wonderland <--- blog!

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 11252

Jess wrote:
We were talking about how much it is to stay and Aluni and how we would have to save points up for a couple of years to go....then we were both like...Why would we go to aluni? Neither of us like the beach or the outdoorsy things so unless there was a theme park there, there would be no point in going....LOL....

I would have said the same thing before my in-laws forced me to take a 9 day, non-Disney vacation this month. Funny thing is, I LOVED it! I am not an outdoors girl, and I hate sand, but I had *so* much fun climbing to the top of Mayan ruins and exploring New Orleans. I even spent three whole hours lying next to a resort pool in Honduras having drinks brought to me an dipping my toes in the water. I made sure to take pictures because I didn't think anyone would believe me! I think I would love all the history and cultural activities in Hawaii, I can avoid the beach though. I really do hate sand.

__________________

J.P.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 12/08/2010
Posts: 439

Kristen K. wrote:
Jess wrote:
We were talking about how much it is to stay and Aluni and how we would have to save points up for a couple of years to go....then we were both like...Why would we go to aluni? Neither of us like the beach or the outdoorsy things so unless there was a theme park there, there would be no point in going....LOL....

I would have said the same thing before my in-laws forced me to take a 9 day, non-Disney vacation this month. Funny thing is, I LOVED it! I am not an outdoors girl, and I hate sand, but I had *so* much fun climbing to the top of Mayan ruins and exploring New Orleans. I even spent three whole hours lying next to a resort pool in Honduras having drinks brought to me an dipping my toes in the water. I made sure to take pictures because I didn't think anyone would believe me! I think I would love all the history and cultural activities in Hawaii, I can avoid the beach though. I really do hate sand.

Wow, I am another one of those people who don't like sandy beaches! I'm starting to see a trend develop here. . . . .

I'm glad to hear you had such a great time Kristen! Wandering around ruins sounds like fun, something I'd love to try. And I'm definitely up for lounging by a pool.

RobynPrincess wrote:
i think divorce is the only option here laugh
i am in the same boat, hubby has said the same thing to me but i think i might be able to convince him hawaii is an option Wink

rolling Hilarious! But I don't think I'll try divorce quite.

Recently, hubby informed me that he would like to try Disneyland in Cali. So I think we've narrowed it down to either Disneyland or Jamaica. . . .I think we should do both! Thanks for the resort suggestion Kris1971, it's gorgeous there! We're thinking somewhere like that or Sandals if we go to Jamaica.

senseicj's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2010
Posts: 796

I have sent my mother to aruba twice on our points to two different places because they changed the resorts, but she loved them both, i have not been to aruba myself in about 13 years but i have been about 13 times and love it there.(a little bonus also you can stop in orlando either there or the way back and go to disney for a couple of days it only about a 2 hour flight from there)

__________________

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
--Walt Disney



Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 11252

senseicj wrote:
I have sent my mother to aruba twice on our points to two different places because they changed the resorts, but she loved them both, i have not been to aruba myself in about 13 years but i have been about 13 times and love it there.

Just don't go to Aruba as a single woman or on a date! Isn't that where those two women wear murdered?

__________________

subvetss's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/30/2009
Posts: 535

Made a few Carribean cruises. All underwater. Don't remember much other than the booze and women. They were OK.
Joe

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 11252

banana :::singing::: I join the Navy, to see the world, and what did I seeeeeee, I saw the Sea. I saw the Atlantic and the Pacific but the Pacific wasn't terrific and the Atlantic wasn't what it's cracked up to beeeee!

rolling Sorry... just couldn't help it. At least I amuse myself...

__________________

Vettelover's picture
Online
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 3936

Kristen K. wrote:
banana :::singing::: I join the Navy, to see the world, and what did I seeeeeee, I saw the Sea. I saw the Atlantic and the Pacific but the Pacific wasn't terrific and the Atlantic wasn't what it's cracked up to beeeee!

rolling Sorry... just couldn't help it. At least I amuse myself...

rolling rolling Yeah but in subvet's case I think it's appropriate. Ain't it Joe? Heck he was in the ocean but didn't see any of it cause he was BELOW it. laugh laugh

__________________

Never trust an atom,
They make up everything.

ChipnDaleFan's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/02/2010
Posts: 840

I'm not a beach person and my family vacationed in Disney every year. This summer we went to Hawaii instead and the change of pace wasn't bad! There's plenty to do elsewhere too (not as good as Disney though). I've heard great things about St. Maarten from friends who have been there.

__________________

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 11252

Vettelover wrote:

rolling rolling Yeah but in subvet's case I think it's appropriate. Ain't it Joe? Heck he was in the ocean but didn't see any of it cause he was BELOW it. laugh laugh

At least he went places, the only place I saw when I joined the Navy was California. I actually worked with anti-submarine warfare Smile Though I won't complain one bit because off duty meant I was in Disneyland!

__________________