2017 Disney Dining Plan Changes

Login to post comments
13 posts / 0 new
Magic Mirror's picture
2017 Disney Dining Plan Changes

Kenny the Pirate is posting the 2017 Disney Dining Plan.

The biggest change seems to be in the Quick Service Plan.
QS will no longer feature a dessert. One extra snack credit will be added instead.

Before, you would be potentially be able to have Lunch & Dinner on the QS plan-
with both featuring a dessert at the restaurant you were dining at, plus you had one
snack credit for use wherever you chose.

Now, you will have no dessert but two snack credits wherever you chose to use them.
Essentially, losing 1 dessert for the convenience of picking your dessert snack credit location.

How do you feel about this change in the QS plan?
Will you miss having dessert with your meals or are you excited to have the flexibility of an extra snack credit?

Miss Mikki's picture

I think this is much better. Neither my husband or I like desserts, so we wasted 60 desserts between us over 15 days (by refusing them, giving them away or choosing fruit to take back to the room with the intention of eating it, but some got thrown away) We used all of our snack credits at the F&W festival and easily could have used more. Even for dessert lovers, it gives them the option to have dessert with their QS meal or later in the day at another place. However, Disney are offering less so I hope they don't increase the prices too much.

no ticker Sad

Spook's picture

I like this better ( not that we get the dining plan anyway). But the couple times we did have the quick service plan, we didn't care for or need the desserts. Most seemed to be the same options everywhere ( chocolate or carrot cake, mousse).

Magic Days's picture

It's better for the regular dining plan where you gain the snack credit instead of the QS desert. We struggle to get through all of our snack credits now but maybe thinking of it as our desert might help.

CdnSquirrel's picture

more snacks! I usually would only eat one dessert a day; during our first trip we ended up with a fridge full of tie dye cheesecakes from the resort food court. Having an extra snack available for when we're at the parks will be a real bonus.

Brinbunny's picture

I think this is a good move as when I was there the carrot cake got a little..... Dull (I am not a chocolate cake fan - I like mine in bar form or hot wink )

Also I felt the need to eat my dessert rather than cart it around, by having it as a separate snack credit I can see me using it later in the day after walking off the entree.

Another benefit is the selection a snack credit offers vs the limited choice of desserts on the QS menu.

Good call Disney mickey

Allie's picture

I personally love this change. If you want to keep your dessert then you can use the extra snack credit they are giving you to get the dessert. But for the rest of us that feel like we waste those desserts it gives a lot more freedom. awesome

alicemouse's picture

I'm all for anything that adds flexibility to DDP. I would have never purchased it in its current incarnation--much too rigid. I'm still unlikely to pay cash for DDP because we share a lot of meals and DDP still doesn't make a lot of sense of you choose to do that, but it does at least look like a semi-attractive option now. That is, assuming that the price doesn't go up 20% to compensate for this added benefit.

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

amy1989's picture

at first I didn't like this idea because I "loved" all of the desserts however thinking about it there is only a select few where I really enjoy the dessert so I've since came round to the idea much more and I'm super excited to try this out next April!

Allie's picture

amy1989 wrote:
at first I didn't like this idea because I "loved" all of the desserts however thinking about it there is only a select few where I really enjoy the dessert so I've since came round to the idea much more and I'm super excited to try this out next April!

Plus if you still want the dessert, just use one of your extra snack credits. This really doesn't take away any benefit, just adds more flexibility. awesome

amy1989's picture

Allie wrote:
amy1989 wrote:

Plus if you still want the dessert, just use one of your extra snack credits. This really doesn't take away any benefit, just adds more flexibility. awesome

I know that exactly what i thought and I'm now super excited to try it!!!

ChipnDaleFan's picture

We always do the dining plan and I think the extra snack is much better than dessert! We like to use a snack for breakfast and then it would be nice to have one for later. The lunchtime dessert choices are not always very good and we usually don't even want one with lunch.

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

I'm really excited about this change since I usually use my QS for lunch and I hate having to carry around a dessert I didn't finish - I don't like wasting sweets eek .

This additional snack will come in handy during my "Drinking Around the World" day so I can "Snack Around the World" too. clapping