*BIG* meet up Fall 2016

Login to post comments
254 posts / 0 new
RobynPrincess's picture

Woohoo! Should be any day then Laughing out loud

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Miss Mikki's picture

If I book a Disney cruise, how much deposit will I need and when will the full balance be due?
Do you lose deposit if you can't go and have to change plans?

no ticker Sad

RobynPrincess's picture

Actually I think you get the deposit refunded on a disney cruise up to a certain date. It's not a huge deposit as far as I remember, our cruise was about 900 and I had to pay under 200 when I booked

Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite

Allie's picture

Miss Mikki wrote:
If I book a Disney cruise, how much deposit will I need and when will the full balance be due?
Do you lose deposit if you can't go and have to change plans?

A 20% deposit is required for Disney Cruise Line bookings. Attached below is Disney Cruise Line's current booking and cancellation policy that shows what the loss is for canceling depending on the date, stateroom, etc. There are protection plans you can add on that cover travel insurance benefits AND allow you to cancel for any reason not covered by the insurance portion and receive a future cruise credit of 7% of the cancellation fee amount to apply toward a future Disney Cruise Line sailing, usable within one year from issue date.

DisneyDee27's picture

clapping muchlove yay

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.

Miss Mikki's picture

Thanks Allie and Robyn.

no ticker Sad

RobynPrincess's picture

So I've read online that it may well be the 23rd of March that the cruise dates are released. Once the dates are out what I'll do is start a poll with a few different sail dates so everyone can express interest and we will go with the majority. So keep an eye out over the next 2 weeks so we can get it booked asap!

Once the cruise portion is organised we can get on with sorting out the wdw part of the meet up, we can decide if before or after the cruise works best for everyone (or both, as we will almost definitely be doing both) and go from there!

Who else is excited?!

Watson's go West May 15

alicemouse's picture

I am!! Remember everyone, the pattern on DCL is that bookings are the least expensive when they are first announced. If you are planning to join us on that leg of the trip, be prepared to book within the first few weeks for the best deals.

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

RobynPrincess's picture

alicemouse wrote:
I am!! Remember everyone, the pattern on DCL is that bookings are the least expensive when they are first announced. If you are planning to join us on that leg of the trip, be prepared to book within the first few weeks for the best deals.

I am planning to book early!

Watson's go West May 15

RobynPrincess's picture

alicemouse wrote:

Question for you as a TA, how does it work with the group booking? Do we have to all book at once to get any form of discount?

Watson's go West May 15

alicemouse's picture

We don't get a group "rate", but if we end of booking 8 staterooms, they will seat us together for dinner and we have the ability to be considered for special promotions. We create all of the reservations as individual bookings and then if they offer us a promotion, we can go back and apply it retroactively. So you can book immediately when those dates are released. (It would figure--I'm going to be in California from the day after our anticipated release date until Easter. gaah)

Is everyone who is doing the cruise portion thinking awhile about their cabin choice? If you kind of have your budget in mind and your ideal stateroom category picked out awhile, booking will go more smoothly. Feel free to PM Allie or myself for our phone numbers or click our "find me on Facebook" links if you need to talk about anything ahead of time.

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

RobynPrincess's picture

I know which stateroom I want already!! Hehehe

Thanks for all that info Alicemouse.

To make things just more complicated.... Is there a way we book with both you and Allie? Or do we have to pick our favourite and go with them? Hahaha! in all seriousness though, personally speaking I would love to be able to give you both my business.

Watson's go West May 15

The Colonel's picture

If we are doing the Dream, I know my stateroom too. I just hope you guys pick a date I can do. I'm limited to certain times by my job.

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

Miss Mikki's picture

This is a general question and is not specific to Allie or Alicemouse.

Is there an advantage to booking a cruise through a travel agent rather than directly from the website?

no ticker Sad

Miss Mikki's picture

If enough people want to make the WDW part of the meet-up, maybe we could book our own dessert party (minimum 10 guests). I also discovered on-line a lovely, cosy function room at the boardwalk called the attic, but I am not sure how the cost per person would work out if we arranged a meet up event there or somewhere similar.

Robyn, when you had your vow renewal at TOTWL, what did you have to pay for (eg. Food or venue hire), was there a minimum spend and were non DVC members allowed to attend?

no ticker Sad

Sid Man's picture

Will be interested to know if non-DVC members will be allowed in DVC areas...I don't own on property at Disney - I have access to an apartment at Westgate Lakes and Spa, so lemme know Smile

Yes, that's me in the profile pic...kudos for guessing the movie...

Find me on Facebook

RobynPrincess's picture

Miss Mikki wrote:
If enough people want to make the WDW part of the meet-up, maybe we could book our own dessert party (minimum 10 guests). I also discovered on-line a lovely, cosy function room at the boardwalk called the attic, but I am not sure how the cost per person would work out if we arranged a meet up event there or somewhere similar.

Robyn, when you had your vow renewal at TOTWL, what did you have to pay for (eg. Food or venue hire), was there a minimum spend and were non DVC members allowed to attend?

We just had drinks and desserts up there, there was no problem with us bringing non DVC guests though I had read online this was be a bit of a grey area.

I am totally up for arranging our own dessert party though! Or even a few meals. I know there are a few restaurants with private rooms you can request.

Watson's go West May 15

RobynPrincess's picture

Miss Mikki wrote:

Is there an advantage to booking a cruise through a travel agent rather than directly from the website?

I may be wrong but I think the TA's can offer more onboard credit....

Watson's go West May 15

Karlipants's picture

I just saw this and think it's an awesome idea!! Would love to be added to the definitely maybe list! Mark and I have been dreaming of a DCL lately and of course are always looking for an excuse to go to WDW!

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away"

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]
[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]
http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/karli-and-marks-honeymoon-pre-trip-report

http://www.facebook.com/KarliInWonderland - My Disney Facebook page with live updates while i'm in the parks!

RobynPrincess's picture

Woohoo! Glad to welcome you to the list Smile

Watson's go West May 15

alicemouse's picture

RobynPrincess wrote:
Miss Mikki wrote:

I may be wrong but I think the TA's can offer more onboard credit....

There's really not much difference other than having a little bit of extra complimentary help if you've never cruised before. We may be able to offer some little extras like onboard credits, but unless they are offered to our agency by DCL, we'll have limited availability on that front. As far as booking though both of us, Allie and I chatted the other day about maybe dividing by venue--one of us helping with WDW and one helping with DCL, but that might be more of a pain for the folks who are doing both parts of the trip. If we can help you with your booking, we're more than happy to do so, but if you book on your own, we're still excited to get to meet everyone! On DCL, we should be able to link our reservations together regardless of how they're booked. For WDW, I still haven't received an answer regarding the rules for booking a "group". It's on my followup list for tomorrow.

As far as having to make a choice, I don't want to speak for Allie, but I think we're probably both in agreement that we understand that people will have to make a choice and we would never hold it against anyone or have hard feelings about someone's choice for how they book a trip. If we can help you with your booking, we're delighted to do so, but if you book on your own or with any other TA from any other agency, we're still excited to get to meet everyone!

I would recommend that if you would like for us to help you with your trip, PM one us for a phone number prior to the cruise release date. It's much quicker and easier to coordinate ad make the selections that you'll need to make over the phone than via facebook, email, or private message.

(Admins, I'm trying to tread lightly here with regard to giving out info via message board post while still answering questions that are posed. If you think that the conversation is crossing over the "no-TA speak" rule, please let me know and I'll be happy to make whatever edits you feel are necessary to any of my posts.)

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:

RobynPrincess's picture

Oops sorry I didn't think about the admin side of the advertising! Sorry to put you in that position! The info is very helpful though and I hope you won't be in any trouble as of course you are just answering questions asked, if anything I am to blame!

Watson's go West May 15

oHIo's picture

The Colonel wrote:
If we are doing the Dream, I know my stateroom too. I just hope you guys pick a date I can do. I'm limited to certain times by my job.

The enthusiasm seems to be growing every day! Like the Colonel I think it sounds like great fun but I too am limited to certain times of the month. With close out taking up the first week I would be unable to go until the second or third week. Like Karlipants, you can put me down as a definite maybe! Wink

alicemouse's picture

Do we want to try to pin down a week or two that we will try to target while we are waiting for the official release dates? That way we can bat some ideas around and be ready for the release dates so that people with specific cabin preferences can book with confidence on the release day and don't lose their first choice of cabins.

I assume that we want to go out of Port Canaveral. For a 4-night cruise, we'll likely be limited to a Bahamas itinerary. For Fall 2015, all of the Caribbean itineraries are 5-7 night and the 5-night sailings are out of Miami. The Bahamas sailings are 3-4 nights out of Port Canaveral and the time only varies depending on whether or not your itinerary includes a day at sea. The port stops are all the same--Nassau and Castaway Cay. The time in port is identical. So whether we book a 3-night or 4-night, we'll be stopping at the same places for the same amount of time unless Disney revises their Bahamas sailings. The Dream basically just does one Bahamas sailing after another alternating 3-night and 4-night itineraries. So if we pick a week that works for the most people, we should be able to pin down the corresponding cruise with relative ease.

Who has a conflict that is already booked for September or October 2016? Colonel do you know what times will be busy for you at work this far in advance? If so, we can probably just work around your schedule. Does anyone have preferred dates? Assuming that I continue with the same schedule that I have now, I can tell you for sure that I prefer October due to fall teaching schedule and AP renewal concerns, but it doesn't matter to me at all which week in October.

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:

RobynPrincess's picture

I think that might be a good idea to pin down a week, though last year there was less 4 night cruises in October which is why I hadn't suggested it yet. I'm good for any time. Though I was thinking probably the last 2 weeks of October going by general consensus on here previously... Alicemouse, do you have a feeling when the dates *might* be? I tried working out by the last few years but as I say, last year threw me. (Or it might be this october?)

Watson's go West May 15

RobynPrincess's picture

Ok so I've done a bit more research and it looks like the 4 night cruise departs on a Sunday which would mean the 16th, 23rd or 30th of October. I'm guessing the 30th will be another Halloween special. We could do any of those dates. This is still speculation right now though

Watson's go West May 15

The Colonel's picture

Ideally my vacation would be 10/15-10/25. So 10/16 works for me and Mrs Colonel.

JoAnn C's picture

The Colonel wrote:
Ideally my vacation would be 10/15-10/25. So 10/16 works for me and Mrs Colonel.

Those dates would work for me too.

alicemouse's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
The Colonel wrote:

Those dates would work for me too.

That's a good date for me as well. (I could actually do any of those dates if they end up being the cruise dates.)

Are we thinking WDW before or after cruise? I usually advise people to do WDW first and cruise second because then the more relaxing part of the vacation is at the end and you go home well-rested, but in this case, since people will undoubtedly want to stay at WDW for different lengths of time, maybe the reverse makes more sense as all of the cruisers will start off together and then meet up with our land friends all at the same time.

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:

The Colonel's picture

My preference is cruise first.