Cancellation? Postponement?

Login to post comments
11 posts / 0 new
NikkiMouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/19/2015
Posts: 526
Cancellation? Postponement?

I started another thread talking about what is happening with my mom. She is still in the ICU, but she is doing much better and is able to communicate. When I mentioned cancelling our upcoming trip, she got really upset and started violently shaking her head. My mom is stubborn and is highly annoyed that we are even considering it, but with 3 weeks left we have to look at all options. My first and foremost thing is to do what is best for her, but we also need to make sure we get our money back.

So my questions are about options. We do have the trip insurance, and we already have dates in mind to postpone to. Options:

1) Cancel everything and just file a claim through the insurance company. I spoke to them and they said we would just need verification from the doctor and a receipt for the airline fares. Then we would get a check back for the full amount.

2) Reschedule the trip for January/February. I have read that Disney will just transfer the dates. It would be for the same amount of days, but it will cost a bit more. Then we will just file a claim for the flight.

HELP ME, please!

__________________

Mad Hatter's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/28/2013
Posts: 147

Hi NikkiMouse. I've recently gone through something similar and learned a few things. If postponement is an option, that's probably the easiest way to go. Your airline should allow you to pay a cancellation fee and then reschedule your flights. For your travel insurance, did you purchase the Disney insurance with your package or did you go third party? Same question regarding your airline tickets, purchased through Disney or separate from your package?

And thoughts and prayers and pixie dust continues to be sent to you and your family.

__________________

Things get curiouser and curiouser...

NikkiMouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/19/2015
Posts: 526

Mad Hatter wrote:
Hi NikkiMouse. I've recently gone through something similar and learned a few things. If postponement is an option, that's probably the easiest way to go. Your airline should allow you to pay a cancellation fee and then reschedule your flights. For your travel insurance, did you purchase the Disney insurance with your package or did you go third party? Same question regarding your airline tickets, purchased through Disney or separate from your package?

And thoughts and prayers and pixie dust continues to be sent to you and your family.

Everything was purchased through Disney as a package.

__________________

Mad Hatter's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/28/2013
Posts: 147

Either option then I would think would be equally viable. So sorry you have to go through this. If it were me, I'd probably go forward with the postponement. That way you and your family will still get to go, and you'll have something to look forward to after the Holiday season! mickey

__________________

Things get curiouser and curiouser...

Mcheal's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/19/2011
Posts: 280

Depending on your airline, there may not even be a rebooking fee. Southwest will put your airline purchase in a "fund" that you can apply towards new tickets. And they apply the whole amount. Other airlines may charge to change the date. So sorry you have to go through this. I have been in your shoes. If you decide to go you will be worried about your mom the whole time and will greatly effect your trip.

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5477

I think the others before me have given great advice, but I just wanted to say best wishes for you and your mom and I hope everything works out for you guys. muchlove

NikkiMouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/19/2015
Posts: 526

We are still kind of waiting. My mom is making great improvement and will probably be transferred to a rehab in the next few days. She has adamantly expressed that we are to go. At this point, we are kind of just taking it day by day.

__________________

oHIo's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/04/2014
Posts: 831

NikkiMouse wrote:
We are still kind of waiting. My mom is making great improvement and will probably be transferred to a rehab in the next few days. She has adamantly expressed that we are to go. At this point, we are kind of just taking it day by day.

That is great news! Listen to your mother!! Seriously though, unless she will be out of rehab and back home, needing your assistance, by the time your trip arrives, go ahead and enjoy WDW. She will be in good hands while you are gone and you won't have to worry about her care. In fact she will be improving daily while you are gone.

AnnielovesDisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2013
Posts: 887

I might be in the minority here, but I think you should go on your original vacation. Now that your mom has improved enough that she'll be moved to a rehab facility, you know she's on the road to getting better. It sounds like she desperately wants you to keep your plans. If you don't go, she will probably feel very guilty and feel she ruined your trip. That kind of upset can cause major stress which can be devastating on the body, especially an already weak body.

If she's on the road to recovery, and I were in your shoes, I'd go to WDW. Even if I knew my heart would be with my mom and my spirits would be dampened while I was there, if it was the best thing for her recovery process I'd go on my trip.

It's a terrible situation and I wish you and your family the best of luck!

NikkiMouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/19/2015
Posts: 526

Thanks oHIo and Annie! This is pretty much what we are leaning towards barring any unforeseen circumstances. You are definitely not in the minority as all my family and friends who know her well keep telling us the same thing. My best friend has even promised to visit the rehab everyday on her way home from work for a daily check-in.

__________________

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5477

Agree with oHIo and Annie, if she is doing better don't feel the least bit guilty about going and enjoying your trip! Especially if it is what your mom wants.