Casual first day lunch/Dinner

Login to post comments
14 posts / 0 new
Offline
Joined: 06/19/2012
Posts: 15
Casual first day lunch/Dinner

I am still fairly new to this forum but have loved the support and feedback so far! I booked a romantic 7 night trip for me and my girlfriend at the end of September. We are staying at CR with club level MK view, very excited we will be so close to the action! We decided to book a flight out of Boston early on our first day to get a maximum experience and will be arriving at MCO around 9:30 (figuring get to the resort by 11 at the latest). We are planning on the room not being ready yet since we are arriving around checkout time so we will more than likely venture into the park to wander around and get a casual lunch. My two original thoughts are Tony's Town Square Restaurant or The Plaza Restaurant both on Main Street and seem to be casual and easy. Has anyone tried either of these places? Any other thoughts for an easy relaxing lunch after we arrive? I don't really want to go with CS the first day. My main goal with this trip is to not plan much and go with the flow, but I think we need to have a destination on the first day to get ourselves into the action. I am also looking for suggestions for a first night dinner, (DHS has extra magic hours that night so perhaps there). We don't want to do the fantasmic package but will probably see the show that night. Any other good restaurants in DHS that aren't part of the package that people have enjoyed? Any feedback I would love!

mteam94's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/17/2012
Posts: 58

If you are looking for something casual but with good food at DHS, Mama Melrose's is a great choice. We have been there twice and the atmosphere is great and the food wonderful.( My profile pic is actually of my kids at Mama's for my son's 11th Birthday Smile) It is part of the package for fantasmic but you can certainly book it without.
We also like this restaraunt because it is tucked back away from the main hub of things.

Another great place is 50's prime time, that is not as laid back but is really fun and the food is awesome too!

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23167

I know that some people on the board will tell you Tony's is a good choice. I'm not one of them, I love rich, flavorful Italian food and Tony's did not give me that experience. Even my kids have no desire to go back to Tony's.

I would actually suggest Grand Floridian Cafe. It's on your way to MK if you're taking the monorail. I've always had good food and service there. It's beautiful and relaxing, plus there's some unique shopping at the resort. It's easy to stop there for lunch before heading to MK.

Kris1971's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2011
Posts: 2350

I vote for the Kona Cafe at the Polynesian. You can hop the monorail at the CR and be there in only a few minutes. It will give you a chance to explore the Poly, have a nice lunch, and then hop back on the monorail to the MK.

__________________

senseicj's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2010
Posts: 807

Kris1971 wrote:
I vote for the Kona Cafe at the Polynesian. You can hop the monorail at the CR and be there in only a few minutes. It will give you a chance to explore the Poly, have a nice lunch, and then hop back on the monorail to the MK.

i agree with Kris1971 kona cafe all the way

__________________

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
--Walt Disney--

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9465

I would recommend Kona also, they have some great food. We have never been to Grand Floridian Cafe, so I can not comment on that. I hear the Wave is pretty good too!

finngirl's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/11/2012
Posts: 1072

mrhub wrote:
I would recommend Kona also, they have some great food. We have never been to Grand Floridian Cafe, so I can not comment on that. I hear the Wave is pretty good too!

Don't tell my husband, but I've actually made an ADR for the Wave for our first night in October. DH does not like ADR's, because he likes to be totally spontaneous. I'm just going to "spontaneously" suggest the Wave, and be surprised we have no problem getting in. laugh

__________________

Diana

Time marches on. Eventually you realize it's doing it across your face.

mteam94's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/17/2012
Posts: 58

finngirl wrote:
mrhub wrote:
I would recommend Kona also, they have some great food. We have never been to Grand Floridian Cafe, so I can not comment on that. I hear the Wave is pretty good too!

Don't tell my husband, but I've actually made an ADR for the Wave for our first night in October. DH does not like ADR's, because he likes to be totally spontaneous. I'm just going to "spontaneously" suggest the Wave, and be surprised we have no problem getting in. laugh

LOL, I have to pull teeth to get my hubby to make ADR's. He loves to fly by the seat of his pants. I had him convinced for about 5 years that it was in our best interest until he somehow managed to walk up to CRT one morning and got a table! I was totally shocked! So now he is harder to convince again. LOL

Ollie's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/28/2011
Posts: 1039

Kristen K. wrote:
I know that some people on the board will tell you Tony's is a good choice. I'm not one of them, I love rich, flavorful Italian food and Tony's did not give me that experience. Even my kids have no desire to go back to Tony's.

I would actually suggest Grand Floridian Cafe. It's on your way to MK if you're taking the monorail. I've always had good food and service there. It's beautiful and relaxing, plus there's some unique shopping at the resort. It's easy to stop there for lunch before heading to MK.

I agree. This is a great place. We've used this cafe as a "park break" many times!

Kris1971 wrote:
I vote for the Kona Cafe at the Polynesian. You can hop the monorail at the CR and be there in only a few minutes. It will give you a chance to explore the Poly, have a nice lunch, and then hop back on the monorail to the MK.

Ooh, and this one, too!

AND maybe check out Liberty Tree Tavern. Good food!

__________________

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
J. R. R. Tolkien

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6708

Liberty Tree Tavern is one of my favorites.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9465

Well sometimes you get lucky with not making ADR's, but at some point it can also come back and bite you. We pretty much always make all our ADR's, but at times we cancel if we decide to go somewhere else and can get in, but we do call and cancel. At also depends on what time of the year you go too. But I alway see someone every trip complaining because they can't get in to someplace becuase they did make a reservation and with all the money they are spending on vacation they deserve to be able to get in.

natazu's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/12/2012
Posts: 83

The Grand Floridian Cafe is my favorite lunch spot at WDW. It's bright, vibrant atmosphere helps you feel like you're in the magic without having to traipse into a park. The food is excellent, fresh, and fast. They have a top shelf burger "Oscar" and, fanfare please, The Grand Sandwich. Worth a trip to Florida on its own, The Grand Sandwich is fresh deli turkey and ham, crisp Nueske bacon, heirloom tomatoes and house-fried onion straws all lain upon foccacia bread and topped with a rich, to die for boursin sauce.

Tony's Town Square is pretty good for chicken parm or shrimp. The portion size is scary and the price point is fair but it's basically "canned" Italian. It's worth a go if you want table service at Magic Kingdom.

The Plaza is just not worth bothering with. It's counter service on steroids.

__________________

Share the Magic,

Jym
________________________________________________
Staceyism #3 "And it's a lot like going to the real Africa... but without all the malaria shots and stuff."

macdamron's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2011
Posts: 176

We ate at The Plaza Restaurant and enjoyed it!

__________________

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9465

Always had good meals at The Plaza Restaurant, guess the Steroids are working! No burger from there ever looked or tasted like a counter service burger.