A Controversial Discovery!

Login to post comments
19 posts / 0 new
Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357
A Controversial Discovery!

We recently moved to the suburbs and my wife has made the contention that the water here in Frisco is actually worse than the water in Disney World. I'm hoping that we'll get accustomed to it, but man it's bad. Am I the only one with awful tap water?

emmaanne's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/20/2011
Posts: 430

My parents have AWFUL tap water in Michigan as well as any of my family members that live in Florida... Florida water is THE WORST! You may want to look at getting a water dispenser. They aren't bad and you can refill the huge containers of water at the grocery store for like $5.

__________________

November 14-18, 2019 | All Star Movies

March 2-10, 2012 | Pop | Trip Report - http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/ems-long-awaited-trip-report

Kristen K.'s picture
Online
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 22173

Rockford water is horrible, I even hate to shower in it! I'll cook and wash with our water, but for drinking we go through cases and cases of Dasani.

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

Ours isnt bad... but I use a water filter for our fridge for drinking and cooking.

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4694

I grew up with well water - i never realized how horrible it was until I moved away, and then went back home Tongue Nothing I've ever had after that was as bad, not even WDW water!

Like Mase, we use the water filter on the fridge vs. the tap for all drinking water. Even for the dogs biggrin

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

JeffC wrote:
I grew up with well water - i never realized how horrible it was until I moved away, and then went back home Tongue Nothing I've ever had after that was as bad, not even WDW water!

Like Mase, we use the water filter on the fridge vs. the tap for all drinking water. Even for the dogs biggrin

I keep meaning to put a filter on our sink for our animals... heh

biggrin

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

I think you get used to it..unfortunately.

Three words..Brita. Water. Filter.

__________________

mickey Bella


Jessi5989's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2011
Posts: 580

I agree, Brita filter is the way to go! When I was working/living at Disney, the first thing they told us in a big meeting our first night was "DON'T DRINK THE WATER!" they urged us to get water filters or bottled water because they told us that if we weren't used to the water in FL, it could make us really sick. I never took my chances. laugh

Offline
Joined: 08/20/2011
Posts: 397

Here in south western ontario the water isn't bad however if we have a really hot summer we notice a musty odour and it appears to be a yellow colour and then you notice a bleachy smell and it tastes terrible (probably to counteract the alge they up the chlorine). We have a water dispenser and buy those big bottles to sit on top of it. I know our water is suppose to be safe BUT would rather take precaution then to get sick.

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

nikamel wrote:
Here in south western ontario the water isn't bad however if we have a really hot summer we notice a musty odour and it appears to be a yellow colour and then you notice a bleachy smell and it tastes terrible (probably to counteract the alge they up the chlorine). We have a water dispenser and buy those big bottles to sit on top of it. I know our water is suppose to be safe BUT would rather take precaution then to get sick.

DW thought we had a mold problem at first when I was running the water in the bathroom. It smells bad in addition to tasting bad!

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4651

Where I live, we have notoriously hard water and the taste wasn't great either yuck , so we had a whole house water softener, conditioner and filter installed, and it really took care of the problem.

__________________

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

Vettelover wrote:
Where I live, we have notoriously hard water and the taste wasn't great either yuck , so we had a whole house water softener, conditioner and filter installed, and it really took care of the problem.

I'm not sure if our water is hard...or just evil...

Offline
Joined: 08/20/2011
Posts: 397

Brad wrote:
nikamel wrote:
Here in south western ontario the water isn't bad however if we have a really hot summer we notice a musty odour and it appears to be a yellow colour and then you notice a bleachy smell and it tastes terrible (probably to counteract the alge they up the chlorine). We have a water dispenser and buy those big bottles to sit on top of it. I know our water is suppose to be safe BUT would rather take precaution then to get sick.

DW thought we had a mold problem at first when I was running the water in the bathroom. It smells bad in addition to tasting bad!

Brad wrote:
nikamel wrote:
Here in south western ontario the water isn't bad however if we have a really hot summer we notice a musty odour and it appears to be a yellow colour and then you notice a bleachy smell and it tastes terrible (probably to counteract the alge they up the chlorine). We have a water dispenser and buy those big bottles to sit on top of it. I know our water is suppose to be safe BUT would rather take precaution then to get sick.

DW thought we had a mold problem at first when I was running the water in the bathroom. It smells bad in addition to tasting bad!

Yep that is what it smells like "moldy and musty" Who wants to drink that yuck!!!

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9407

We used to live on a farm and had a well. The water was hard , but tasted great. I could never drink "City " water. But over the years, with developments being put in and all the changes, the water table was disturbed and the water started getting a sulfur smell and and orange color to it. Just think "rotten eggs" coming out of your faucet. Got to the point they were testing it every week and said we couldn't drink it anymore, just wash with it, and that was not an enjoyable thing. We now have "City" water and its rather good. We have the filter on the fridge too like others, but still drink bottled water alot. I drink the water right from the tap alot and don't really notice a difference.

SquareAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/21/2011
Posts: 56

The small rural town we live in has it's own water system. I tested our water for chlorine residual in the lab and it was 1.8%. That's pretty high. It only has to be at 0.2% at the last customer on the line. I believe chlorine is only toxic if you inhale it. So is dihydrogen monoxide (water), LOL.

As for the taste you don't really notice it unless you let it sit in a bottle for a while. We noticed the same thing with the Disney World water fountains. If you could find one that produced cold water, it was not that bad when first dispensed, but when we filled our water bottle, the taste was a lot worse later on.

__________________

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Jessi5989 wrote:
I agree, Brita filter is the way to go! When I was working/living at Disney, the first thing they told us in a big meeting our first night was "DON'T DRINK THE WATER!" they urged us to get water filters or bottled water because they told us that if we weren't used to the water in FL, it could make us really sick. I never took my chances. laugh

Ha, I think the FL folks were overreacting just a wee bit. The water in Florida is not universally bad, or bad for you. While I do use a Brita filter for drinking water for taste, we use tap water for concentrated juices and in cooking. I promise, it won't kill you any faster than water in other places Smile

Good luck, Brad. It may just be a matter of getting used to the difference to some extent. What about a fridge with a water filter? Or water delivery? My mom just ended her water delivery and got a Brita filter to save $$ though, and she's very happy with it.

__________________

Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 1884

Okay, I just had to add my thoughts on this.
I am not usually that picky about water. We do have a filter on our fridge and we do sometimes buy bottled water but I will drink it right out of the tap. However....I can not do that in Disney. I can taste it even in iced tea and even in soda if it has ice cubes in it. I am getting use to it to some degree though. When we first started going I would not even use it to brush my teeth. I also bring my own soaps and shampoos that I know have enough fragrance to cover up the smell. I do drink coffee while we are there. Sometimes I can taste it in it and sometimes I can not. Other than that I mostly drink bottled water or adult type drinks. I am not afraid of it making me sick, I just do not like it.

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Scrappy, I wrote about this recently in a couple of other threads, but I am loving my little Brita personal water bottle with filter. I think it's the perfect solution for a trip to FL, or anywhere that you'd find the water unsavory. At least, for drinking, or brushing teeth, etc.

It's funny, but when I was growing up, and we'd make our way to FL every summer for vacay, you could track the trip by the taste of the water, long before you get to FL. It usually changed the closer we got to the coast, so somewhere in SC. Even though it tasted kinda bad, it was like, "Woot! We're on vacation! Vacation water!" Smile

__________________

Jess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/04/2011
Posts: 3280

JeffC wrote:
I grew up with well water - i never realized how horrible it was until I moved away, and then went back home Tongue Nothing I've ever had after that was as bad, not even WDW water!

Like Mase, we use the water filter on the fridge vs. the tap for all drinking water. Even for the dogs biggrin

Same here with the well water

__________________