Cost of Buffet's Rising in October 2016 ?

Login to post comments
23 posts / 0 new
Magic Mirror's picture
Cost of Buffet's Rising in October 2016 ?

There seems to be some whispers that Disney World will be bumping the cost of buffet's up to $60 for an adult. It's main target perhaps being the buffets which cater to character greets. Along with this would be the assumption that all character meals will be two credits on the Disney Dining Plan. The rise is rumored to be coming in October of this year.

I really enjoyed Boma for dinner last year but I'm not sure I want to drop $120 plus a tip for it, especially considering Amy will mostly only eat the "american food" on the buffet. I haven't done any character meals so I am unable to comment on their dining credit use other than I have seen various comments that the food quality in general is lacking at character buffets.

Would you pay $60 for a buffet? What if it was a character buffet? Is this worth 2 Disney Dining Credits?

Emilio's picture

At $60 per guest plus tip, no thank you Puzzled . We looked forward to having dinner at Boma and a couple of other buffet restaurants, but at that price, we wouldn't even come close to getting our money's worth.

Guess we'll have to find more reasonable eating places at or around WDW Sad

Magic Mirror's picture

I just went and pulled up the Buffet prices on the Disney website.
Last July I believe the top out price listed was $39.99.
(Which is what I paid)

Today's current rate shows Boma is listed $39.99-59.99.

The following are the current price ranges for Buffet/Family Style Restaurants:

$15-$34.99

Captain's Grille
Fresh Mediterranean
Liberty Tree
Ravello
Trail's End
The Wave
Whispering Canyon

$34.99-$59.99

1900 Park Fare
Akershus
Biergarten
Boma
Cape May
Chef Mickey
Crystal Palace
Fort Wilderness
Garden Grill
Garden Grove
Hollywood & Vine
'Ohana
Tusker House

$60+

Luau Cove *Dinner Show*
Pioneer Hall *Dinner Show*

MrHub's picture

Spirit of Aloha & Hoop De Doo are both dinner shows so I wouldn't include them in this listing even if they are "family Style". Either that or list them as a dinner show which both are well worth the price in our opinion.

Kristen K.'s picture

I also wouldn't include Hoop-dee-doo or Spirit of Aloha, that's not your average buffet. Also they have had seasonal pricing on them for a long time.

Wow - right now I'm feeling really glad that I don't do dinner buffets. I can no imagine me paying that for a buffet. If I'm going to be paying $60 a person at, I'm eating at a signature restaurant.

JMed's picture

Yeah, I heard this too... We've never done a buffet but there are a couple I've wanted to try. We have done Boma for breakfast (LOVED IT) and we have Tusker House for lunch in October with my parents....

Times and prices, they are a changing.....

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

MrHub's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
I also wouldn't include Hoop-dee-doo or Spirit of Aloha, that's not your average buffet. Also they have had seasonal pricing on them for a long time.

Wow - right now I'm feeling really glad that I don't do dinner buffets. I can no imagine me paying that for a buffet. If I'm going to be paying $60 a person at, I'm eating at a signature restaurant.

awesome

Allie's picture

The only three I've heard associated with this rumor is Akershus, Tusker House, and Chef Mickey's. I've been there, done that with Akershus and Chef Mickey's but still had Tusker House on my list to try. If they increase it to $60/two dining credits that's a big "No thank you" from me. I could get a great meal at Boathouse for that kind of money.

Magic Mirror's picture

MrHub wrote:
Spirit of Aloha & Hoop De Doo are both dinner shows so I wouldn't include them in this listing even if they are "family Style". Either that or list them as a dinner show which both are well worth the price in our opinion.

I just took the entire list off from Disney's page-it was Disney who grouped/classified them as buffet/family dining.
I did go back and edit the list to reflect the dinner shows to reflect the cost difference. awesome

alicemouse's picture

Nope I wouldn't pay that for buffet. I don't even like buffets. The only reason that we do them occasionally is because of the variety--for example, Boma. But the quality is usually crappy and I don't like to feel obligated to eat more to get my money's worth. It would make DDP a more attractive option though--until the price of that rises as well. Prices are going to increase and we should expect that, but large percentage increases on accommodations, tickets, special events, AND food plus rumored resort fees and parking fees are going to price so many people out of the market. Because of DVC and AP, we still find it reasonable to go to WDW compared to other vacation destinations, but I do feel bad for the average family who is being squeezed for another nickel every time they turn around.

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

I am not a big buffet fan for dinner. We have only tried two for dinner, Crystal Place and Boma. I did not care for either one of them. I do not feel either of them would be worth $60 nor do I feel either would be worth 2 credits on the dining plan. We do usually do a breakfast buffet or two each trip. And although I do enjoy them I do not think I would be willing to pay $60 per person for breakfast. And again, I would not use 2 credits on the dining plan for breakfast. I do really enjoy the dinner shows and do not mind paying the $60.

Allie's picture

Tusker House, Chef Mickey's, and Akershus are all listed as one credit meals on the 2017 plan info that was recently released.

Magic Mirror's picture

awesome awesome awesome awesome

NikkiMouse's picture

I have never eaten at any of the buffets, and with if that price turns out to be true, I never would. There is so much more I can with $180 plus tip.

crazycatperson's picture

I love Biergarten, Boma, and 'Ohana. Also Akershus, although once was enough due to the high price of character meals - same with Tusker House. But if the price of all buffets were raised to $60 I'd skip buffets. There are so many other excellent restaurants that I wouldn't feel as if I were missing anything.

Spook's picture

I will never give up Garden Grill or Trails End laugh

subvetss's picture

They need a 'Golden Corral' in Disney Springs.
Joe

Spook's picture

subvetss wrote:
Joe

Yes! awesome

Vettelover's picture

subvetss wrote:
Joe

Yes! awesome Yes! awesome

I am not a buffet person because there is too much food which I cannot eat due to health issues. I will stick to restaurants that I can talk to the chef for the best options for me.

Kristen K.'s picture

Magic Mirror wrote:
There seems to be some whispers that Disney World will be bumping the cost of buffet's up to $60 for an adult.

I was doing some price checking for DFB last week and this has indeed happened. On some of the buffets dinners the price went up as much as $19 a person. They have lost their bloody minds. I'm not sure I ever get $60 worth of food out of a buffet, I think I would rather go eat modestly at California Grill than shell out $60 a person for Chef Mickey's.

Allie's picture

It starts justifying the cost of the dining plan though I guess, if you're wanting to do any of those character meal buffets.

Kristen K.'s picture

Allie wrote:
It starts justifying the cost of the dining plan though I guess, if you're wanting to do any of those character meal buffets.

Well, that is true. They may even be doing it to drive more people to the DDP