Facts About Your Favourite Resort..

Login to post comments
22 posts / 0 new
The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802
Facts About Your Favourite Resort..

One thing I love is finding out stories of our resorts we stay at on vacation ...Loved the story about the magic bridge at PORS..But last year I discovered that Wilderness Lodge is the only resort that has a mascot..Humphrey the bear...But the fireplace in the lobby caught my attention with its layers of coloured rock..I found out that this represents the actual coloured layers that form the Grand Canyon..I've added two photos..One of the fireplace and one of my wife and son sitting in front of it.Have any of you found out interesting facts or stories about your resorts.?

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg251.33 KB
image.jpg
image.jpg735.31 KB
alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

Oh neat! I didn't realize that about the fireplace. I can't think of any particular things off the top of my head about the other resorts. I'll have to give it some thought.

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

JMed's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2014
Posts: 3765

The fireplace is beautiful! I can't wait to visit that resort in November!

This may count... The Art of Animation has some amazing drawings from the movies represented there. It took me a while to figure one of them out. Ot was a super skinny Ursula. It's worth a stop at the resort just to see the lobby there.

__________________

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

JMed wrote:
The fireplace is beautiful! I can't wait to visit that resort in November!

This may count... The Art of Animation has some amazing drawings from the movies represented there. It took me a while to figure one of them out. Ot was a super skinny Ursula. It's worth a stop at the resort just to see the lobby there.

Awesome..Love the details in resorts that guests sometimes just walk past...

Emilio's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/23/2013
Posts: 334

WL is a beautiful resort, stayed there a few times and the lobby area always takes my breath away!

When it comes to my favorite resort but not necessarily the most spectacular one, for me it's OKW resort. That was my first DVC resort, back when it was known as the "DVC Resort" (the first, el numero uno). Then (early 1993) many of its buildings were still under construction, the plants were young, small, & it was truly "Disney's Best Kept Secret" Oups .

Today that resort and all its plants seem as if they were there back in the days of the Spanish Conquistadores, searching for the fountain of youth. No, they never found it wheelchair .

mickey

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3709

I honestly can't say that I have a favorite resort. I've enjoyed each one we've visited; each one has things that make it special. Even the values.

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

crazycatperson wrote:
I honestly can't say that I have a favorite resort. I've enjoyed each one we've visited; each one has things that make it special. Even the values.

Totally agree..After our CBR vacation which was our first resort, we loved POFQ on our second trip, then fell in love with PORS which we spent the following three vacations at...However WL has captured our hearts..Photo is the magic bridge at PORS..

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg166.35 KB
BarbaraB's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/13/2014
Posts: 402

Two trips ago I stayed a AKL. I absolutely loved it (especially the Savannah View room). I thought the lobby was amazing. During that trip, we went to WL to eat at Artist Point. I though that lobby was amazing, also. I mentioned to my husband during dinner that the 2 lobbies looked very similar. Our server informed me that the same architect designed both resorts. Unfortunately, my brain is like Swiss cheese, and I don't remember the name of said architect. This last trip I stayed at WL simply because I loved the lobby from the previous trip.

I did not know that tidbit about the fireplace at WL and the Grand Canyon. Thanks for sharing that, Mr. The Watchmaker!

__________________

~ Barb ~

Ms.Mouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2013
Posts: 358

The Watchmaker wrote:
crazycatperson wrote:
I honestly can't say that I have a favorite resort. I've enjoyed each one we've visited; each one has things that make it special. Even the values.

Totally agree..After our CBR vacation which was our first resort, we loved POFQ on our second trip, then fell in love with PORS which we spent the following three vacations at...However WL has captured our hearts..Photo is the magic bridge at PORS..

Please tell me why it is called the magic bridge. I have not heard the story. We will be there in a couple of weeks.

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

BarbaraB wrote:
Two trips ago I stayed a AKL. I absolutely loved it (especially the Savannah View room). I thought the lobby was amazing. During that trip, we went to WL to eat at Artist Point. I though that lobby was amazing, also. I mentioned to my husband during dinner that the 2 lobbies looked very similar. Our server informed me that the same architect designed both resorts. Unfortunately, my brain is like Swiss cheese, and I don't remember the name of said architect. This last trip I stayed at WL simply because I loved the lobby from the previous trip.

I did not know that tidbit about the fireplace at WL and the Grand Canyon. Thanks for sharing that, Mr. The Watchmaker!

Your welcome.. awesome

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

Ms.Mouse wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
crazycatperson wrote:
I honestly can't say that I have a favorite resort. I've enjoyed each one we've visited; each one has things that make it special. Even the values.

Totally agree..After our CBR vacation which was our first resort, we loved POFQ on our second trip, then fell in love with PORS which we spent the following three vacations at...However WL has captured our hearts..Photo is the magic bridge at PORS..

Please tell me why it is called the magic bridge. I have not heard the story. We will be there in a couple of weeks.

Ok...Are you ready for this...On our second visit we were standing on the bridge early in the morning when a CM saw us looking down the river and told us of a story where a couple were trying for a family and they tossed a dime into the river..Two years later they came back with their little daughter ....So when I told the story on a old site ( we don't talk about ) A certain woman had been trying for several years to conceive, she tossed a dime into the river and made a wish..When she came back from her vacation she found out she was pregnant ...I couldn't believe it....She was thanking me so much..They had tried everything...I actually cried when I read the story...

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2405

Art of Animation was supposed to be an extension of Pop Century. Original theming was going to be 1900-1940 until they stopped construction because of 9/11. When they stopped construction, the lobby and the Little Mermaid buildings were already built. Which is why the two resorts are so close together and why the buildings in the Little Mermaid section resemble Pop Century unlike the rest of the resort. When they finally restarted construction, they decided against the original theming because the folks who would appreciate it, most likely wouldn't be able to for many different reasons. So they decided to go a different direction.

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2936

Many people think that The Beach Club represents a New England seaside resort, but it was actually modeled after architecture in Cape May, New Jersey.

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3709

Mandy wrote:
Art of Animation was supposed to be an extension of Pop Century. Original theming was going to be 1900-1940 until they stopped construction because of 9/11. When they stopped construction, the lobby and the Little Mermaid buildings were already built. Which is why the two resorts are so close together and why the buildings in the Little Mermaid section resemble Pop Century unlike the rest of the resort. When they finally restarted construction, they decided against the original theming because the folks who would appreciate it, most likely wouldn't be able to for many different reasons. So they decided to go a different direction.

I can understand why they changed the plans - I'm an old fart and I barely remember the 1950s. But I think a 1900-1950 section would've been cool. Especially the Roaring 20s buildings. Never mind the fact that we'll be in a whole different 20s in less than five years.

Ms.Mouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2013
Posts: 358

The Watchmaker wrote:
Ms.Mouse wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
crazycatperson wrote:
I honestly can't say that I have a favorite resort. I've enjoyed each one we've visited; each one has things that make it special. Even the values.

Totally agree..After our CBR vacation which was our first resort, we loved POFQ on our second trip, then fell in love with PORS which we spent the following three vacations at...However WL has captured our hearts..Photo is the magic bridge at PORS..

Please tell me why it is called the magic bridge. I have not heard the story. We will be there in a couple of weeks.

Ok...Are you ready for this...On our second visit we were standing on the bridge early in the morning when a CM saw us looking down the river and told us of a story where a couple were trying for a family and they tossed a dime into the river..Two years later they came back with their little daughter ....So when I told the story on a old site ( we don't talk about ) A certain woman had been trying for several years to conceive, she tossed a dime into the river and made a wish..When she came back from her vacation she found out she was pregnant ...I couldn't believe it....She was thanking me so much..They had tried everything...I actually cried when I read the story...

That is a beautiful story! A magical miracle! Thank you for sharing. muchlove

JMed's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2014
Posts: 3765

Ms.Mouse wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
Ms.Mouse wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
crazycatperson wrote:
I honestly can't say that I have a favorite resort. I've enjoyed each one we've visited; each one has things that make it special. Even the values.

Totally agree..After our CBR vacation which was our first resort, we loved POFQ on our second trip, then fell in love with PORS which we spent the following three vacations at...However WL has captured our hearts..Photo is the magic bridge at PORS..

Please tell me why it is called the magic bridge. I have not heard the story. We will be there in a couple of weeks.

Ok...Are you ready for this...On our second visit we were standing on the bridge early in the morning when a CM saw us looking down the river and told us of a story where a couple were trying for a family and they tossed a dime into the river..Two years later they came back with their little daughter ....So when I told the story on a old site ( we don't talk about ) A certain woman had been trying for several years to conceive, she tossed a dime into the river and made a wish..When she came back from her vacation she found out she was pregnant ...I couldn't believe it....She was thanking me so much..They had tried everything...I actually cried when I read the story...

That is a beautiful story! A magical miracle! Thank you for sharing. muchlove

Note to self... do not throw coins into water at Disney...

__________________

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2936

The Boardwalk resort on the other hand, was inspired by the MTV series, The Jersey Shore. The original name for the resort was GLT, (gym, laundry, tan), but was changed at the last minute as Michael Eisner did not want to attract the Spring Break crowds.

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

The Watchmaker's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2014
Posts: 1802

JMed wrote:
Ms.Mouse wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
Ms.Mouse wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
crazycatperson wrote:
I honestly can't say that I have a favorite resort. I've enjoyed each one we've visited; each one has things that make it special. Even the values.

Totally agree..After our CBR vacation which was our first resort, we loved POFQ on our second trip, then fell in love with PORS which we spent the following three vacations at...However WL has captured our hearts..Photo is the magic bridge at PORS..

Please tell me why it is called the magic bridge. I have not heard the story. We will be there in a couple of weeks.

Ok...Are you ready for this...On our second visit we were standing on the bridge early in the morning when a CM saw us looking down the river and told us of a story where a couple were trying for a family and they tossed a dime into the river..Two years later they came back with their little daughter ....So when I told the story on a old site ( we don't talk about ) A certain woman had been trying for several years to conceive, she tossed a dime into the river and made a wish..When she came back from her vacation she found out she was pregnant ...I couldn't believe it....She was thanking me so much..They had tried everything...I actually cried when I read the story...

That is a beautiful story! A magical miracle! Thank you for sharing. muchlove

Note to self... do not throw coins into water at Disney...

Well while waiting at the dock at PORS I looked into the old Sassagoula river and it was full of money..Enough to buy me a years supply of magic cookie bars.. laugh

Tiggerbelle's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/27/2014
Posts: 89

All of the Magic Kingdom resort themes correspond with the Lands in the MK.
Contemporary = Tomorrowland
Polynesian = Adventureland
Grand Floridian = Main St
Wilderness Lodge (and Fort Wilderness, originally) = Frontierland
And when the current Shades of Green was the Disney Inn it had a Snow White theme to correspond with Fantasyland.

DH and I have only stayed at WL, and our favorite facts have already been listed. Since we're staying at the Yacht Club this time, I'll have to find a fun fact and report back after our trip. awesome

JoAnn C's picture
Online
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6603

The Colonel wrote:
The Boardwalk resort on the other hand, was inspired by the MTV series, The Jersey Shore. The original name for the resort was GLT, (gym, laundry, tan), but was changed at the last minute as Michael Eisner did not want to attract the Spring Break crowds.

rolling rolling rolling rolling rolling

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

Offline
Joined: 03/22/2014
Posts: 552

The Colonel wrote:
The Boardwalk resort on the other hand, was inspired by the MTV series, The Jersey Shore. The original name for the resort was GLT, (gym, laundry, tan), but was changed at the last minute as Michael Eisner did not want to attract the Spring Break crowds.

And were they going to serve Magic "Snookie" bars? silly

__________________

danijrod's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/23/2014
Posts: 414

The Watchmaker wrote:
Ms.Mouse wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
crazycatperson wrote:
I honestly can't say that I have a favorite resort. I've enjoyed each one we've visited; each one has things that make it special. Even the values.

Totally agree..After our CBR vacation which was our first resort, we loved POFQ on our second trip, then fell in love with PORS which we spent the following three vacations at...However WL has captured our hearts..Photo is the magic bridge at PORS..

Please tell me why it is called the magic bridge. I have not heard the story. We will be there in a couple of weeks.

Ok...Are you ready for this...On our second visit we were standing on the bridge early in the morning when a CM saw us looking down the river and told us of a story where a couple were trying for a family and they tossed a dime into the river..Two years later they came back with their little daughter ....So when I told the story on a old site ( we don't talk about ) A certain woman had been trying for several years to conceive, she tossed a dime into the river and made a wish..When she came back from her vacation she found out she was pregnant ...I couldn't believe it....She was thanking me so much..They had tried everything...I actually cried when I read the story...

We are staying in PORS next September and I am definitely going to throw a coin in and see. *fingers crossed*