Food and Wine 2014 - They added a week in Sept.

Login to post comments
26 posts / 0 new
Skunk's picture
Food and Wine 2014 - They added a week in Sept.

Dates are September 19th to November 10th

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/02/18/news-epcot-food-and-wine-festival-adds-an-extra-week-in-2014/

JoAnn C's picture

Can't for the festival

Kristen K.'s picture

So exciting that they've added an extra week - I wish I could go!

The Colonel's picture

September is slow. They want to draw more in mid September. Good move.

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

SpamGoddess's picture

Tempted to move my vacation back a week so I can experience at least a day of F&W but then I looked at Josh's tentative crowd calendar and saw 1's on the majority of the week I'm planning and thought noooooope I'll stick to my initial week as the only day I'd be able to do it was on the first Friday. eek

I'll do F&W eventually, though! Maybe next year!

JMed's picture

yay yay yay yay

This is the main reason we are going a couple weeks before my birthday. FOOD AND WINE! Has anyone heard horror stories or experienced first hand the "drinking around the world" I've seen people post things such as people drunk and puking in EPCOT... Does that REALLY happen???

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

AnnielovesDisney's picture

JMed wrote:
yay yay yay yay

This is the main reason we are going a couple weeks before my birthday. FOOD AND WINE! Has anyone heard horror stories or experienced first hand the "drinking around the world" I've seen people post things such as people drunk and puking in EPCOT... Does that REALLY happen???

My husband and I have never done the "drinking around the world." But we have been to Epcot on 4 different occasions that we have seen very drunk people stumbling around. One time we were sitting in Italy back by the fountain and about 8 very drunk young guys(I'd be shocked if they were older than 22) came through screaming and yelling, like young, drunk people tend to do. Then one of them threw up right beside the fountain!!! It was disgusting and we got out of there ASAP. I don't know if any of these people did "drinking around the world" intentionally, but they obviously had done it unintentionally laugh

We've been to Epcot about 80 times though, so that's not too bad of a percentage, considering how many yummy alcoholic drinks are served there wink

MrHub's picture

JMed wrote:
yay yay yay yay

JMed, yes it does happen, we have also experienced some rather unpleasant sites also at the F & W F. Just stay away from the world show case on the weekend evenings and you should be okay. They seem to be the worst times.

The Colonel's picture

It's like Disney knew I was arriving the 21st and changed the date just for me. It's very magical!

Mandy's picture

JMed wrote:
yay yay yay yay

I've seen an older gentlemen so drunk that he passed out on the bus back to Pop Century and they had gotten the emts on scene to make sure he was okay. But this wasn't during Food and Wine. I think it was just a regular day at Epcot.

Allie's picture

mrhub wrote:
JMed wrote:
yay yay yay yay

JMed, yes it does happen, we have also experienced some rather unpleasant sites also at the F & W F. Just stay away from the world show case on the weekend evenings and you should be okay. They seem to be the worst times.

Agreed. When we were there in October 2012 the only time we experienced this was on a Saturday night. The rest of the trip we never saw a single person over intoxicated.

VelcroPooh

We saw a couple of people, during the smash mouth concert, that definitely had too much to drink. But nothing disgusting, just rowdy dancing that was actually quite entertaining and laughable. Other than that, we didn't see anyone out of line.

JMed's picture

we are going to EPCOT early week so hopefully we will be good!

JoAnn C's picture

There were a couple guys at Epcot tonight that were pretty drunk. We saw them twice. The second time, a woman who was with was in a wheelchair. She wasn't the first time. My cousin heard someone say she was supposed to race this weekend.

JMed's picture

Thanks for the info everyone.... Some sites you read make it sound HORRIBLE (people passed out and puking all over the place) I didn't think it could be that bad. I'm all for having a good time and I'm sure after a couple Gran Ma Slushes I will be ready to pass out... not act a fool! Smile

BoBo713's picture

I really like F&W and I'm so glad it fits in with our vacation dates now. Last year I ate at Hawaii, Canada, New Zealand and a few more. The sausage from was really good, didn't care for its accompaniments though.

BoBo

"Live well, laugh loud & love much"

BarbaraB's picture

Apparently, I've been living under a rock. I just realized yesterday that I would be at WDW for this year's F&WF. We're going from Sept 17th to Sept 22nd. I've never been during this event so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Opening day for F&W, we'll be heading to Universal, but we'll still have 2 days at Disney for F&W.

Is it a "can't miss" event or would my time be better spent at another less crowded park for those 2 days? What are some things that I absolutely have to try and what are some things that I shouldn't even bother with?

Can I use any of my DDP snack credits or CS credits at any of the food kiosks?

~ Barb ~

Skunk's picture

BarbaraB wrote:
Apparently, I've been living under a rock. I just realized yesterday that I would be at WDW for this year's F&WF. We're going from Sept 17th to Sept 22nd. I've never been during this event so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Opening day for F&W, we'll be heading to Universal, but we'll still have 2 days at Disney for F&W.

Is it a "can't miss" event or would my time be better spent at another less crowded park for those 2 days? What are some things that I absolutely have to try and what are some things that I shouldn't even bother with?

I would suggest that you skip Epcot on Sat. the 20th, and go Sunday the 21st. The earlier you visit the food booths, the better. Lines will be shorter for lunch than dinner. Yes, you can use your snack credits at the food booths, and the eligible items are notated on the menus. Sample menu from 2013: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Canada-Booth-Menu.jpg

King Fergus

Ooh. eek ..Well after reading these little stories,maybe after our 7.00pm ADR at VN, we will finish our night off at MK..It's funny but in all my past five Disney vacations, I've yet to get even tipsy..In fact apart from having a bottle of vino with a nice TS meal, I think the only daytime beer I've drank was at Rose & Crown and a Molson beer at Canada..I do enjoy a nightcap back at our resort, hence I'am looking forward to WL this year with our wee balcony.. date

crazycatperson's picture

BarbaraB, for me the Food and Wine Festival is a can't miss. Others don't like it at all.

Would you enjoy grazing little appetizer samples of international food instead of eating a regular meal? Do you have at least a moderately adventurous palate? Would you be okay with standing up trying to eat off a cardboard "plate" with your drink perched on the curb beside you? Good news, you'll enjoy F&W Fest.

Do you want to sit down, relax, and enjoy a full meal for both lunch and dinner, preferably with someone serving you at one or both of those meals? You might still be able to enjoy a sample or two between meals, but in general F&W isn't going to be your thing. Still, I would suggest at least trying it - maybe just Sunday lunch - to figure out for yourself whether it's something you'd enjoy.

As for what's a "must try," that will depend on your personal tastes. And also on what's on the menu this fall, since it hasn't been announced yet. Many people rave about Canada's beer cheese soup, but I won't touch it (ick cheese ewww gross). I loved the Hawaiian tuna poke, but others won't touch that (ick raw fish ewww gross - not my thoughts, I love raw fish, but many people don't).

The Colonel's picture

I've been to F&W every year since 2002. I love Disney, Epcot, eating, drinking and The Beach Club. Its a perfect storm of pleasure for me.

EmFord's picture

I agree with you crazycat, it is a can't miss for me. This will be my 4th in a row and I couldn't imagine not going. Its definitely something you have to adapt to, but we even hit it on the dreaded Friday and Saturday nights (thats how much we love it). I am a total small plates girl so its right up my alley. And yes that Tuna poke is what dreams are made of! Oh how I hope its back this year.

AnnielovesDisney's picture

BarbaraB wrote:

I know I'm in the minority, but we skip F&W as much as possible. DH and I hate any kind of sea food, and I don't eat beef or pork. So that narrows down our food choices quite a bit. I can't even drink any alcohol, so that's out too. We love to go out to eat and enjoy a good meal, but not when we are at WDW. We view our food at Disney as "a means to an end." We have to eat, so we just grab whatever CS meal or snack that we can eat while we walk around. We go every few weeks to WDW, but we only get to go 2-3 days at a time, so we look at eating as a waste of time in WDW.
For us, F&W is a really crowded waste of time. BUT, I think Disney did a great job with F&W for the people that enjoy different foods and drinks, it just doesn't fit us or how we personally visit Disney.

BarbaraB's picture

Thanks for your input, everyone. We're not really adventurous eaters, just meat & potato kind of people. If they give out samples, I can graze as I walk along, but I don't really want to shell out money for something that I'm not sure I'll like. Plus I don't really like crowds. I find that the bigger the crowd, the more rude people can be, and I can't stand rude people. So maybe I'll take Skunk's advice and skip Saturday night.

~ Barb ~

crazycatperson's picture

No samples. They're sample-sized portions, but they ain't free.

oldtink's picture

Skunk wrote:
BarbaraB wrote:

I would suggest that you skip Epcot on Sat. the 20th, and go Sunday the 21st. The earlier you visit the food booths, the better. Lines will be shorter for lunch than dinner. Yes, you can use your snack credits at the food booths, and the eligible items are notated on the menus. Sample menu from 2013: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Canada-Booth-Menu.jpg

There is a "soft opening on Thursday 18th but our park and resort ADRs put us at Epcot for Fri and Sunday, but since we aren't in a rush, we don't have to worry and we know escape places to eat and talk in peace.

"At some point in life you have to decide if you're the Tigger or the Eeyore."...Randy Pausch

"George Banks and all he stands for will be saved. Maybe not in life, but in imagination. Because that's what we storytellers do. We restore order with imagination. We instill hope again and again and again." Walt Disney