Golf Camp 2018 ***TRIP REPORT***

Login to post comments
27 posts / 0 new
JMed's picture
Golf Camp 2018 ***TRIP REPORT***

Pre-trip report, eventually turing live, eventually finishing up a couple months later awesome

So here we go again, a hot humid round of Golf Camp. whoopdedoo

Of course it is Blondie, Joe and I whom you all know so well by now crossfingers mickey

We will be staying at Old Key West again on DVC points. beach

Here is my plan so far

Saturday
Leave EARLY to drive down
Lunch at Giordano's Love
Character Outlet
Check in and rest
H2O Glow Nights 7-11 pm stars
We will eat dinner at Typhoon Lagoon while we are there.

Sunday
Breakfast in room
Disney Springs
10 am The Void
Lunch Wolfgang Puck Express
Pool Time
Dinner Olivia's

Monday
Blondie Golf Camp
Breakfast in room
Lunch Joe and I will be on our own, not sure yet and not sure where we will go
Hollywood Studios
Slinky Dog Coaster 5:20
Dinner Woody's Lunchbox
Star Tours 6:50
Rock N Roller Coaster 7:50

Tuesday
Blondie Golf Camp
Joe Golf 9:30
Me Spa Time Senses at Grand Floridian
Breakfast in room
Epcot/PoolTime
Lunch on my own
Dinner Coral Reef 5:35
Test Track 6:45

Wednesday
Blondie Golf Camp
Joe Golf
Breakfast in room
Lunch
Dinner
I can't believe I have NOTHING planned!!! This was originally going to be our water park day but since I booked H2O Glow nights, now we have one full day that is empty!!! May head to Geyser Point Bar and Grill for lunch

Thursday
Blondie Golf Camp
Joe Golf
Breakfast in room
Lunch on my own
Animal Kingdom
Dinner
FOP 6:45

Friday
Blondie Golf Camp
Breakfast in room
Lunch Skipper Canteen 12:15
Hollywood Studios
Dinner 50's Prime Time 5:10
Slinky Dog 7:20

Saturday
Checkout day
Bon Voyage Breakfast Trattoria Al Forno 7:35
Drive home

That's about it in a nutshell. I have been making my packing list and grocery list of things we are bringing down for the room. I'll keep you updated on any changes or additions!

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Woo! So many fun things planned. I can't wait to hear about the H2Glow and the Void in particular.

Now get planning that Wednesday out!! laugh

Kristen K.'s picture

Looks like you've got a great trip planned.

danijrod's picture

So much amazing things planned! hope you have a lovely time, looking forward to reading how your getting on yay

JMed's picture

JeffC wrote:
Woo! So many fun things planned. I can't wait to hear about the H2Glow and the Void in particular.

Now get planning that Wednesday out!! laugh

Joe and I did the void a while back and LOVED it. It is quite the experience. Even if you aren't a huge fan of SW, I would suggest it. So much fun. Try to get a reservation, even with one it is a bit of a wait but well worth it.

JMed's picture

So I am trying to figure out my spa day, anyone been to the spa at the Swan and Dolphin and what were your thoughts??

Kristen K.'s picture

I've only been to SENSES at the GF. If I remember a while back Robyn did the Mandara Spa. You might want to reach out to her.

JMed's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
I've only been to SENSES at the GF. If I remember a while back Robyn did the Mandara Spa. You might want to reach out to her.

Yeah, she walked out before having any of the treatments. I ended up booking Senses, DVC gets 40% off until August 31! Joe has given me permission to also put us down for a couples massage Friday morning. Don't mind if I do!

JoAnn C's picture

JMed wrote:
Joe has given me permission to also put us down for a couples massage Friday morning. Don't mind if I do!

Nice

I am thinking trying a massage at the spa at Coronado Springs after the cruise. Or maybe one on the cruise.

This has me intrigued - Storybook Style: Classic character-inspired hairstyle

JMed's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
JMed wrote:
Joe has given me permission to also put us down for a couples massage Friday morning. Don't mind if I do!

Nice

I am thinking trying a massage at the spa at Coronado Springs after the cruise. Or maybe one on the cruise.

This has me intrigued - Storybook Style: Classic character-inspired hairstyle

I totally want a grown up princess make over!!!! The prices aren't too bad biggrin

Allie's picture

We're doing the Void of the first time in October...so glad to hear you liked it. Especially that you liked it enough to do it again. I know NOTHING about Star Wars but it sounds too cool to pass up.

Make sure to get the Totchos at Woody's Lunch Box! They are BOMB. And if you haven't done Geyser Point yet I totally recommend it. We just ate there last week and loved it! The bison burger and fries and the portobello salad and the alocholic iced tea were all awesome.

JMed's picture

Allie wrote:
We're doing the Void of the first time in October...so glad to hear you liked it. Especially that you liked it enough to do it again. I know NOTHING about Star Wars but it sounds too cool to pass up.

Make sure to get the Totchos at Woody's Lunch Box! They are BOMB. And if you haven't done Geyser Point yet I totally recommend it. We just ate there last week and loved it! The bison burger and fries and the portobello salad and the alocholic iced tea were all awesome.

I can't say enough about the Void! My friend did it with her kids a couple weeks ago. I got a text from her that said "OMG we just did The Void, it is so amazing!!" You will love it!

JMed's picture

So I guess I will post a trip report! Haven't done this in a while. I did post on a Facebook Group also so just gonna put it here a day at a time along with some pics!

I had the alarm set at the house for 5:05 and we were going to be out the door by 5:30. We pulled out of the driveway at 5:39, already behind schedule in my humble opinion

JMed's picture

Day 2 Already witnessing a breakdown...

So I slept pretty late to my standards 7:15ish. Rest of the fam slept until about 8. I had everyone rounded up and ready to head out about 8:45. We were heading to Disney Springs this morning for our reservations at the Void. We got there about 9 and just walked around in the peace and quiet for a bit looking at new things and wishing Wine Bar George was already open... Abigail stopped at Starbucks for a frap and bagel before we got in line.

If you haven't done the Void, you should check it out. It is a Star Wars based Virtual Reality experience and even if you aren't a huge Star Wars fan, it is pretty cool. Joe and I had done it before but it was Abigail's first time. I would recommend a reservation as the wait can be a bit long even with an assigned time. You check in, get your wrist bands then wait for your team's briefing. Once you have been briefed, you get suited up with a vest and visor. You are lead to the starting point and go from there. It's exciting to say the least! This time was much smoother than the time Joe and I did it together. We went when they first opened so they have worked out most of the kinks now!!

We stopped at The Basket (take away window for Wine Bar George) for Ab to get Mac & Cheese bites. They are so yummy, the breading has crushed Hot and Spicy Cheeseits in it. I got a Corkcicle with Froze and walked inside to look around. Met and spoke to George for a couple minutes and drooled over all the wine options. I can't wait to go here!

Our original plans were to have lunch at Wolfgang Puck but we ended up on the other side of the park upgrading Ab's AP and just went to Deluxe Burger. Me and Ab weren't hungry so we just ate some of Joe's fries with several of the dipping sauces. Then came the breakdown. "I don't feel good" "my tummy hurts" so we headed back to the room. This is pretty typical for her so I wasn't having it today. It is ONLY day 2. Bad mommy I know but I was already over it... So back to the room it was for naps.

Once we got back to Old Key West one of my friends who is also here sent me a message that she was free and wanted to meet up. I told her I was at the resort and the Gurgling Suitcase has a new bar snacks and drink menu and she hopped a bus from Hollywood Studios over to me. We had copious amounts of cocktails Turtle Krawl, Blood Orange Margaritas and Watermelon Margaritas and Fried Pickles. I mean it did start pouring rain so we had to keep drinking. I called Uber (ok, Joe) to come get us and take her back to Art of Animation. Service was great and I didn't have to pay LOL

Back to pick up Abigail for our ADR at Olivia's. Fried Chicken, Shrimp and Grits and Ribeye. Everything was so good and we were so hungry I didn't take a single pic! What, I am the queen of food pics. We decided to skip dessert there and headed out to Animal Kingdom Lodge to get one of our favorites from the gift shop (Johari Treasures) at Kidani. Oreo Cheesecake. We grabbed spoons and watched the animals while eating.

Back to the room by 8pm and I was wiped out. I held on til about 9:30 and was out. Not many pics today sorry

PreviewAttachmentSize
Corkcicle with frozé
Corkcicle with frozé278.62 KB
BBQ Burger at Deluxe Burger
BBQ Burger at Deluxe Burger303.07 KB

JMed's picture

Day 3 Golf Camp starts and it's all about the wine

JMed's picture

What the heck?? I'm gonna start rotating my pics upside down so they post correctly when I upload them!!! And where did my day 3 go????

Lets try again.

This morning I was WIDE awake at 4am, I was watching videos on my phone with the earbuds in wondering how I wasn't waking the family with my laughing and snorting. If you haven't seen this, check it out... For the rest of the trip every time I saw someone with a sandwich I just laughed and laughed! https://

I finally forced myself back to sleep and the alarm went off at 7:15. Ab and Joe had to get ready for golf and I had to just lay in bed. Everyone was out of the door by 8:15 and I still had no plans for the day. Ab was off to camp at the Disney courses and Joe played at Orange Lake. They also have a couple of 9 hole walking courses and kids play for free! I finally got dressed and checked the My Disney Experience App for the next bus to Disney Springs. I love this option and the fact that we are right next to the bus stop. I can just sit in the room enjoying the AC before walking over!!

I arrived at Disney Springs right around 10 when they open and just strolled around. I went back to Disney Style where we were yesterday when Ab had her breakdown and bought a new Alex and Ani bracelet. I Stopped at Bongos for an empanada and Cafe con Leche (wow were they both amazing) I then started strolling towards Wine Bar George. I got there right at opening and was the only one at the bar for a while. Jill, Nate and Nick were all AMAZING. Very knowledgeable about the wines and if one couldn't answer a question another would. We made up my own wine flight and tried a couple other whites. I think I had 6 different kinds in the end plus a glass with lunch! (these were not full glasses wine mind you, just 3 oz pours) Joe made it in from golf and we had the Mac and Cheese bites and the Steak Frites. The steak was phenomenal. At that point I tried a red with the steak. I didn't have a wine I didn't like!

By about this time it was time to pick up Ab. We browsed the Pro Shop at the golf course for a bit then headed to the room for the golfers to change and take a quick nap. We were all ready and out the door a little after 4 to head to Hollywood Studios and Toy Story Land!!! We walked right into the new land which is awash with fun and festive colors, old toys and awesome sound effects! We got in line for Toy Story Mania (Joe won as usual) then came right out to our Slinky Dog Coaster FP. We watched it a few times thinking it looks soooooooo slow. Wow, were we surprised. We really enjoyed it for what it was. For a "Family Coaster" it is great fun!! Finally we hopped in line for Alien Swirling Saucers, fun and had us laughing the entire time!!! We did all of the rides in TSL in a little over an hour! Not bad at all.

We grabbed popcorn after to snack on while making our way towards Star Tours. Unfortunately none of us was the rebel spy... We had one new part and we liked landing in the new Star Wars land! Next up was some food, we each went somewhere different. Joe a burger, Ab Pizza and me the Fairfax salad (which I loved!!)

Rock N Roller Coaster was our last FP and boy was it fast. They skipped the pre-show and just kept us moving thru. Back row for for us. 9:30 we are all back in the room ready for bed. Golf wore out the other two and I'm just ready for more wine!!! Cheers!

Kristen K.'s picture

I'm loving that picture of your steak frites! YUMMY!

JMed's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
I'm loving that picture of your steak frites! YUMMY!

Me too, every time I see it, I want them again. and again. and again......

Kristen K.'s picture

JMed wrote:

We stopped at The Basket (take away window for Wine Bar George) for Ab to get Mac & Cheese bites. They are so yummy, the breading has crushed Hot and Spicy Cheeseits in it. I got a Corkcicle with Froze and walked inside to look around. Met and spoke to George for a couple minutes and drooled over all the wine options. I can't wait to go here!

Explain this "Corkcicle" please!

JMed's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
JMed wrote:

It's up top, the white Wine Bar George Cup, it is an insulated cup (think Yeti) Kept my Froze frozen in the Florida heat... It's just the brand name

JMed's picture

Not sure what is happening to my posts, it must not like my copy and paste... Will return with more later

Kristen K.'s picture

JMed wrote:
Kristen K. wrote:
JMed wrote:

It's up top, the white Wine Bar George Cup, it is an insulated cup (think Yeti) Kept my Froze frozen in the Florida heat... It's just the brand name

Ahhhh OK! They must have branched out into other products then just the actual Corkcicle. Because that is a long frozen cork-like thing that you put in your wine bottle to chill it fast. I was just confused, I didn't know that they made other things too.

Hahaha - that video! "I want to ride a park bench in the shade!" Me wheelchair rolling

JMed's picture

Kristen, yes, the original Corkcicle! I do love my little cup though, perfect size for a glass of wine at night!

Kristen K.'s picture

JMed wrote:
Kristen, yes, the original Corkcicle! I do love my little cup though, perfect size for a glass of wine at night!

My kids have bought me several nice wine glasses, but due to some medical issues I have a tendency to drop them and they break. That one looks like it would be great for me though.

oHIo's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
JMed wrote:

Looking forward to meeting George Milliotes on Friday 10/26. He and Ron Rupert will be hosting a food and wine pairings seminar at the festival center!

JMed's picture

oHIo wrote:
Kristen K. wrote:
JMed wrote:

Looking forward to meeting George Milliotes on Friday 10/26. He and Ron Rupert will be hosting a food and wine pairings seminar at the festival center!

George was bussing tables when we were there for dinner the other night. So impressed with him and his place!