Good Beds / Bad Beds

Login to post comments
41 posts / 0 new
Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 22298
Good Beds / Bad Beds

I've slept on some pretty hard beds at Disney (AKL DVC Jambo House) and on some pretty super comfy great beds (Grand Floridian).

What have been your experiences with the beds at Disney? Does the comfort of the bed make a difference when you chose a hotel?

Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 1884

To me most of the beds are comfy and I can not say I really notice much difference in them. The only two that have stuck out in all our visits are... one in Animal Kingdom Jambo House (DVC one bedroom) that squeeked every time one of us moved, and the beds in the Contemporary would get my vote for the best for comfort.

Jess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/04/2011
Posts: 3280

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the beds at Jambo House are hard

__________________

beckyboo013's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/25/2013
Posts: 61

This past trip we stayed at AllStar Music and I remember reading someone saying the AllStar resort beds are harder and not as comfty, so I was a little worried about sleeping comfortable. However, I have to say, I did not have any problems! I slept comfortably and really well every single night. Maybe it was because I was extremely exhausted by the time my head hit the pillow, but I have no complaints about those beds! Smile

__________________

WDWfanatic's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2013
Posts: 356

The beds in Alligator Bayou at POR are super noisy. I had some insomnia and I was really uncomfortable one night and was tossing and turning just trying to get comfortable, wondering what my parents in the adjoining room were thinking. Thankfully, DH can sleep through ANYTHING, so it was not a bother to him.

As far as comfort, I can't say that I have ever thought about it one way or another.

I have been wondering if all the pull out beds are the same. We have only used one at SSR, and it was not your standard flimsy mattress. You couldn't feel the bars in the bed at all. I am hoping that the same thing is true at BWV.

__________________

Tammi

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 22298

Jess wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the beds at Jambo House are hard

Twice I've actually slept on the couch twice rather than in those beds. I just could not get comfortable, it felt like I was laying on the floor only higher.

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3709

I like a fairly firm mattress and a pillow that's flat as a pancake. It's been years, but I think the mattress covers at the Dolphin were too cushy for my tastes. Old Key West was better, but still a little too cushy. Maybe I would like those hard beds at Jambo House.

My biggest complaint at most hotels/resorts, including those at WDW, is the pillows. So big and fluffy. I hate that. I usually sleep face down with my forehead barely on the pillow, just enough so my nose is slightly elevated off the mattress and I can breathe properly. Can't do that with a big old fluffy pillow.

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 22298

crazycatperson wrote:
I like a fairly firm mattress and a pillow that's flat as a pancake. ...Maybe I would like those hard beds at Jambo House.

You might! However you would still have the big fluffy pillow. Now, I like a big fluffy pillow, but these are sort of firm and fluffy so your head doesn't really sink into them much. It's just kinda weird. Bring your own.

finngirl's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/11/2012
Posts: 1072

Kristen K. wrote:
crazycatperson wrote:
I like a fairly firm mattress and a pillow that's flat as a pancake. ...Maybe I would like those hard beds at Jambo House.

You might! However you would still have the big fluffy pillow. Now, I like a big fluffy pillow, but these are sort of firm and fluffy so your head doesn't really sink into them much. It's just kinda weird. Bring your own.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates these pillows. I like to "mash" my pillows around and get them into just the right shape - that's not happening with Disney pillows. We fly, so I can't bring my own. sad

I've heard that the mattresses at Pop are hard - can anyone confirm that? DH will be thrilled if they are, me, not so much. This will be our first time at POP in May - I can't wait. Oh - and we got Mickey Mail yesterday!! yay

__________________

Diana

Time marches on. Eventually you realize it's doing it across your face.

Offline
Joined: 08/20/2011
Posts: 397

I would have to say the worst beds were the pirate themed room ones at carribean beach. They are not meant for adults. The matresses are thin with no box spring. We barely slept at all. We also had a bit of a problem with the cabins at Fort wilderness. The double bed in the bedroom was horrible BUT believe it or not the murphy bed in the living room was wonderful. I think it had a memory foam mattress. We found the beds at all star music to be quite comfortable. Both of us had a great nights sleep there. I also like the beds at Port Orleans french quarter. We had a king size bed at Coronado and found it not so great.

Emilio's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/23/2013
Posts: 333

When we stay at any Disney resort, if the bed is too firm, we request these egg-crates sponge type padding's & extra pillows, it really makes a difference!

Becks534's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/17/2011
Posts: 273

finngirl wrote:

I've heard that the mattresses at Pop are hard - can anyone confirm that? DH will be thrilled if they are, me, not so much. This will be our first time at POP in May - I can't wait. Oh - and we got Mickey Mail yesterday!! yay

Not true! I love a cushy plush mattress and I slept great at Pop. Nothing to worry about.

Offline
Joined: 08/01/2012
Posts: 2037

Diana yay clapping Mickey Mail yay clapping

Kat's picture
Kat
Offline
Joined: 05/05/2012
Posts: 395

crazycatperson wrote:
I like a fairly firm mattress and a pillow that's flat as a pancake.

I feel the exact same way! Everyone thinks I'm crazy with the pillow thing; at home I sleep on these old pillows I've had for years and my fiance keeps trying to get me to throw them out Tongue But I really don't like fluffy hotel pillows (or really new pillows at all): so hard for me to sleep on!

__________________

Fall 2015: Master's Degree Graduation Trip, Details TBD! Can't wait to be back in the World!
Nov. 2014: Baby's First 1/2 Day at the Magic Kingdom; our date day at Hollywood studios
Jan. 2014: Our princess was born!
May 2013: Our POR & DCL honeymoon (& my husband's first Disney trip of hopefully many!)
May 2013: Our Disney-themed wedding

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2936

Usually I'm so exhausted I could sleep standing up, so I never really notice the beds. My wife checks em for cleanliness and critters and that's all she wrote. 20 seconds of Must-Do Disney and I'm asleep.

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5438

WDWfanatic wrote:
The beds in Alligator Bayou at POR are super noisy. I had some insomnia and I was really uncomfortable one night and was tossing and turning just trying to get comfortable, wondering what my parents in the adjoining room were thinking. Thankfully, DH can sleep through ANYTHING, so it was not a bother to him.

As far as comfort, I can't say that I have ever thought about it one way or another.

I have been wondering if all the pull out beds are the same. We have only used one at SSR, and it was not your standard flimsy mattress. You couldn't feel the bars in the bed at all. I am hoping that the same thing is true at BWV.

You'll have to let me know! We're planning on staying there on our next trip and my sisters will be using the pull out bed.

Offline
Joined: 07/02/2011
Posts: 988

Our beds at the Beach Club were very hard but the pillows were nice and mushy. I think the beds at Port Orleans French Quarter were much more comfortable than the Beach Club (which is way more expensive)........go figure! Still wonderful resort but bed was rock hard........ugh!

WDWfanatic's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2013
Posts: 356

Allie wrote:
WDWfanatic wrote:

I have been wondering if all the pull out beds are the same. We have only used one at SSR, and it was not your standard flimsy mattress. You couldn't feel the bars in the bed at all. I am hoping that the same thing is true at BWV.

You'll have to let me know! We're planning on staying there on our next trip and my sisters will be using the pull out bed.

I certainly will! We aren't going until Sep/Oct, so you may have to remind me. I am old and my memory is not my friend. wink

__________________

Tammi

disneydoc's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/27/2012
Posts: 2415

Just got home from Jambo, and the bed was OK, but not as good as the ones I have experienced in Marriott hotels. However, I am with you guys...I am so beat at night that it does not matter for very long. And the awesome Jambo room made up for it. mickey

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

Kris1971's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2011
Posts: 2350

I think the beds at POFQ are super comfy and I love that they are queen size now!

__________________

Offline
Joined: 08/01/2012
Posts: 2037

I am glad you made it safely to your GA home. Just think in no time you will be back at your Disney home. mickey

Hardy0109's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/19/2012
Posts: 688

Kris1971 wrote:
I think the beds at POFQ are super comfy and I love that they are queen size now!

This is good news, as I'm staying there next February. I've only stayed at Pop and we've never had a problem. Just sort of average. Beds have always been somewhat creaky though.

__________________

omnia mea mecum porto.

@byhardy on twitter.

disneydoc's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/27/2012
Posts: 2415

thank you Pirategirl! It was an incredible trip, and I will get a trip report of some kind out soon. It took a LONGGG time to get home yesterday with all the spring break traffic. A trip that I can usually do comfortably in 8 hours, counting stops, took over 10. But worth it! mickey

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

Offline
Joined: 05/20/2013
Posts: 3

The best bed I have slept on is the one in our RV while parked at Fort Wilderness!!

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9413

The Contemporary beds are like sleeping on a cloud! I do think they are the most comfortable we ever slept on at WDW.

Eeyore's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/22/2012
Posts: 1120

Boardwalk Villa beds are awesome. Just back from our trip and hubby said it's the best hotel mattress he's ever slept on...anywhere. I agree. There is a major difference in the All Star Resorts beds vs. BWV. All Star bed was small (double), hard, and the sheets were so stiff they must've sprayed them with a bottle of starch!!! Sheets at BWV were fluffy and soft...

I vaguely remember beds at POFQ and Caribbean Beach....

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 22298

The Wilderness Lodge Villa beds were ok, a little firmer than I like but not bad. I think I've decided that the more exhausted I feel, the more comfortable ANY bed is. LOL!

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

WDWfanatic wrote:
Allie wrote:
WDWfanatic wrote:

I have been wondering if all the pull out beds are the same. We have only used one at SSR, and it was not your standard flimsy mattress. You couldn't feel the bars in the bed at all. I am hoping that the same thing is true at BWV.

You'll have to let me know! We're planning on staying there on our next trip and my sisters will be using the pull out bed.

I certainly will! We aren't going until Sep/Oct, so you may have to remind me. I am old and my memory is not my friend. wink

Do we have any additional WDWFG intelligence on the quality of the BWV pull out beds? We got a one bedroom for April when we take my parents and we're certainly not going to make them sleep on the pullout, so we'll be enjoying those accommodations. laugh I was going to book a 2BR, but it's a lot of points to go in April, so I figured we can slum it on and pullout for four nights. I can sleep anywhere and I've never met a hotel bed I didn't sleep like a rock on, but DH is a very fussy sleeper, so I'm a little nervous about this situation! LOL.

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Offline
Joined: 07/02/2011
Posts: 988

We just got back from staying at the Wilderness Lodge. Lovely resort but the beds are hard as rocks. So far, their beds and the Beach Club's have been very uncomfortable. Why would a deluxe resort have such awful beds?

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 22298

alicemouse wrote:

Do we have any additional WDWFG intelligence on the quality of the BWV pull out beds? We got a one bedroom for April when we take my parents and we're certainly not going to make them sleep on the pullout, so we'll be enjoying those accommodations. laugh I was going to book a 2BR, but it's a lot of points to go in April, so I figured we can slum it on and pullout for four nights. I can sleep anywhere and I've never met a hotel bed I didn't sleep like a rock on, but DH is a very fussy sleeper, so I'm a little nervous about this situation! LOL.

I don't have any first hand experience with the BWV pull out. However if you have trouble, you can always give the front desk a call and see if there is anything they can do. Maybe some extra blankets to cushion it, or a couple more pillows.

MandaLynn's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/22/2013
Posts: 213

Emilio wrote:
When we stay at any Disney resort, if the bed is too firm, we request these egg-crates sponge type padding's & extra pillows, it really makes a difference!

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents into this discussion! I am not an expert on Disney resort beds (having never stayed on property...until later this year!!), but I am slightly picky about mattresses in general. Because we are staying in the Ft Wilderness Cabins, I read some reviews on their sleeping arrangements and found that a few people thought some of these beds were not the comfiest. However, after reading through this thread, I called housekeeping (mousekeeping?) and asked if eggcrate foam pads were available for all beds on property and was told that they were...you just have to request them mickey Not that this will make a rock-hard bed into a heavenly cloud, but it made me feel much better!

So keep this in mind, and when in doubt, just call housekeeping!

And thanks Emilio for the tip!