Is the Great Movie Ride in Hollywood Studios closing?

Login or register to post comments
22 replies [Last post]
wdwizbest's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/03/2017
Posts: 53
Is the Great Movie Ride in Hollywood Studios closing?

I know this rumor has been around for awhile, however some are suggesting it may close in August. What's your opinion on it? Would you rather see an update/renovation or something completely different? This is one of the few original rides from when the park opened, I would like to see an update rather than a complete replacement. Even if it is showing some age, it still has some really good moments.

__________________

"leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." " Walt Disney "

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1512

I guess movies like Casablanca, The Pulic Enemy, Alien and Wizard of Oz are no longer considered classics by the younger generation. Probably should have updated them with modern classics such as The Hangover, Dude Where's My Car and Sausage Party. sarcastic

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 4846

KenJ wrote:
I guess movies like Casablanca, The Pulic Enemy, Alien and Wizard of Oz are no longer considered classics by the younger generation. Probably should have updated them with modern classics such as The Hangover, Dude Where's My Car and Sausage Party. sarcastic

laugh

I'm all for an update on this ride, but I would love if they postponed it to more like December. We're taking my family down in November and my parents haven't been in close to 10 years and I know they'd like to ride it one last time.

wdwizbest's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/03/2017
Posts: 53

I can't see them closing GMR until SW & TS expansions are complete. There just isn't enough attractions in HS right now IMO. However, once the new construction is finished my gut feeling is they will do "something" with the GMR. I just hope it isn't gutted & replaced with a GOTG ride.

__________________

"leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." " Walt Disney "

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1512

Well, the rumours I read were stating that Turner Movie Classics was letting a contract expire in 2018, hence the closure sometime before then. I have no idea if it's true though.

amy1989's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/30/2013
Posts: 1350

I would like to see the ride updated not even with the movies updated to more recent ones because I am a younger generation but those movies whether I like them or not are still classics in my eyes, I'd like to see it go back to the tour guide doing more talking and maybe update the animatronics but I don't want to see it changed into something totally different because movies and hollywood just go with the whole park..... and if they are going to close it I hope they wait til the end of the year so people can get one last ride on it!

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 17397

I would love to see an update to this ride that is more of a Disneyfication of it. There are so many great Disney movies that could replace what is in there now both animated and not. I think that it would be easy to create a new script and change some of the scenes. It made sense to have all movies when MGM was there, but now that its just Disney - keep it Disney.

__________________

Figments Girl's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/22/2014
Posts: 62

That's a great idea. Disney does like promoting their movies.

__________________

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 5867

I love the Great Movie Ride.

If they made it into a Disney movie ride. What movies could they use in the existing rooms?

Tarzan - George of the Jungle

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

JMed's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2014
Posts: 2927

Maybe it's because I've just started visiting Disney more in the last few years but this is a ride I can do without. Yeah, I love the classics, but it does nothing for me. I agree it would be great if it became Disney movies

__________________

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3691

I like the Great Movie Ride, I ride it every visit, so if they keep it exactly as is I'm good with it. If they change it into a Disney movie themed ride, I'm good with it. If they update it to SOME more recent movies, but keep a bit of the old classics, I'm good with it. Get rid of all the golden age of Hollywood stuff, not so good with it. Get rid of it altogether, not good with that either, especially if the replacement is some stupid thrill ride that I can't even do.

oldtink's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2014
Posts: 866

I also like the "Disney Movie" idea. Heard that it might be a "Mickey Review" type ride as well. I love the movies, but the animatronics are getting pretty tired and worn.

__________________

"At some point in life you have to decide if you're the Tigger or the Eeyore."...Randy Pausch

"George Banks and all he stands for will be saved. Maybe not in life, but in imagination. Because that's what we storytellers do. We restore order with imagination. We instill hope again and again and again." Walt Disney

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 4846

Just don't get rid of the Wizard of Oz room! That witch animatronic is still one of the best, IMO.

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1512

And don't get rid of that Alien set! One of my favourite movies of all time and going through there is the closest thing to being in the movie. I love that part of the ride. If they do get rid of it, I will happily take it off their hands and set it up in my garage! biggrin

wdwizbest's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/03/2017
Posts: 53

Honestly I don't imagine anyone under 40 (maybe older) relating to Busby Berkeley, Tarzan (I met Johnny Weissmuller when I was 4) or even Singing in the Rain so I can see those being replaced. I'm not saying I would like it, but I could see it happening. I imagine that concepts & designs for the GMR were developed in '87 or '88 since it debuted in '89, that's 30 yrs ago. There have been a lot of movies that have been made since then, some movies that weren't considered classics in '89 are today. I like the basic idea of the GMR, I hope they don't update it to feature what's popular now the "flavor of the day".

__________________

"leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." " Walt Disney "

Magic Mirror's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/18/2012
Posts: 2971

Just hoping it last thru the end of the year. We are taking friends in December and I know they will love it!

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 4846

wdwizbest wrote:
Honestly I don't imagine anyone under 40 (maybe older) relating to Busby Berkeley, Tarzan (I met Johnny Weissmuller when I was 4) or even Singing in the Rain so I can see those being replaced. I'm not saying I would like it, but I could see it happening. I imagine that concepts & designs for the GMR were developed in '87 or '88 since it debuted in '89, that's 30 yrs ago. There have been a lot of movies that have been made since then, some movies that weren't considered classics in '89 are today. I like the basic idea of the GMR, I hope they don't update it to feature what's popular now the "flavor of the day".

I'm 29 and LOVE Singing in the Rain!

FutureMrsHurst's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/02/2015
Posts: 435

I love this ride its a must every time we go.
But... I loved it when the CM used to narrate it. The new way with the guy doing it is very hard to hear and takes away from the fun. I hope it stays open especially with so many other closures at HS right now. I am trying to talk my mom out of even going to that park on our trip because it seems a waste to me.

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1512

FutureMrsHurst wrote:
I loved it when the CM used to narrate it. The new way with the guy doing it...

Can you clarify? I've only ever been on it where there is a CM pretending to drive it and narrates throughout and then jumps out and another jumps in etc. What other way did/do they do it?

wdwizbest's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/03/2017
Posts: 53

KenJ wrote:
FutureMrsHurst wrote:
I loved it when the CM used to narrate it. The new way with the guy doing it...

Can you clarify? I've only ever been on it where there is a CM pretending to drive it and narrates throughout and then jumps out and another jumps in etc. What other way did/do they do it?

I think she's referring to Tom Osborne (RIP) from TCM narrating the GMR now, in the old version the CM narrated the ride.

__________________

"leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." " Walt Disney "

FutureMrsHurst's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/02/2015
Posts: 435

wdwizbest wrote:
KenJ wrote:
FutureMrsHurst wrote:
I loved it when the CM used to narrate it. The new way with the guy doing it...

Can you clarify? I've only ever been on it where there is a CM pretending to drive it and narrates throughout and then jumps out and another jumps in etc. What other way did/do they do it?

I think she's referring to Tom Osborne (RIP) from TCM narrating the GMR now, in the old version the CM narrated the ride.

Yeah exactly.
I feel like when the CM's narrated it they really got into it and made it more exciting.

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1512

FutureMrsHurst wrote:
wdwizbest wrote:
KenJ wrote:
FutureMrsHurst wrote:
I loved it when the CM used to narrate it. The new way with the guy doing it...

Can you clarify? I've only ever been on it where there is a CM pretending to drive it and narrates throughout and then jumps out and another jumps in etc. What other way did/do they do it?

I think she's referring to Tom Osborne (RIP) from TCM narrating the GMR now, in the old version the CM narrated the ride.

Yeah exactly.
I feel like when the CM's narrated it they really got into it and made it more exciting.

I don't recall any narration other than the cast member with a headset microphone. When did it change to a recording?

wdwizbest's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/03/2017
Posts: 53

It was Robert Osborne not Tom (Nebraska head football coach). Duh, you can tell where my heads at. I believe they made the change a couple of years ago summer of 2015, after TCM sponsored the ride.

__________________

"leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." " Walt Disney "