"Just Married" buttons discontinued!

Login to post comments
39 posts / 0 new
Offline
Joined: 11/29/2012
Posts: 35
"Just Married" buttons discontinued!

I know this subject has come up before, but I got an answer from the WL IPO today through my TA. I'll be honeymooning at WDW in September.

According to the WL IPO, they no longer carry the "Just Married" buttons. They now carry "Happily Ever After" buttons instead!

Can ANYONE venture a guess as to WHY they would do away with the "Just Married" buttons???? Last time I checked, WDW is one of the Top Ten honeymoon destinations in the country, if not the world! And this certainly doesn't look good from a Customer Service perspective; last I knew, Disney prides itself on its Customer Service! Based on what I've been reading, honeymooning couples would prefer to have the "Just Married" buttons!

I'll be emailing WDW to see what the VALID reason was for doing away with the "Just Married" buttons.

__________________

Paul

Honeymooning 9/22-9/29/2013
Staying at WL

Magic Days's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/02/2012
Posts: 601

Perhaps it has to do with the fairy tale ending so many of us celebrated and dreamed of. It is also a neutral way of allowing a variety of people celebrate their relationshps. Not all people are allowed to marry or want to be married but are living out their personal happy ever after. It also would work for anniversaries

__________________

Offline
Joined: 11/29/2012
Posts: 35

1. They still have the "Happy Anniversary" buttons as far as I know!

2. Why should people who are just married and there on their honeymoon be DENIED their own special button??????

__________________

Paul

Honeymooning 9/22-9/29/2013
Staying at WL

RobynPrincess's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2010
Posts: 2859

They aren't being denied their special button, they have the happily ever after button. If it is a big deal for you, could you get just married buttons made and take them with you? I made us a few cute tops with his and hers on, plus a few just married tops. They got lots of attention Smile

__________________

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Kat's picture
Kat
Offline
Joined: 05/05/2012
Posts: 395

I actually like the Happily Ever After buttons better--and they still have the bride and groom ears so it's easy to tell who are newlyweds Smile I would be sad if they were getting rid of all buttons in general though!

EDT. And we'll also be a honeymooning couple--we plan to wear the HEA buttons and the ears too! Smile

__________________

Fall 2015: Master's Degree Graduation Trip, Details TBD! Can't wait to be back in the World!
Nov. 2014: Baby's First 1/2 Day at the Magic Kingdom; our date day at Hollywood studios
Jan. 2014: Our princess was born!
May 2013: Our POR & DCL honeymoon (& my husband's first Disney trip of hopefully many!)
May 2013: Our Disney-themed wedding

Aliceacc's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2013
Posts: 75

Paul Couturier wrote:
1. They still have the "Happy Anniversary" buttons as far as I know!

2. Why should people who are just married and there on their honeymoon be DENIED their own special button??????

I'm not sure they're being denied anything... they can still have them made up elsewhere.

Disney has chosen to stop giving them away.

__________________

August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club. We're returning to the Beach Club in July/August 2014.

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3709

If it were me, and if everyone (especially cast members) knew that "happily ever after" most likely meant "just married," I would not feel the least bit cheated.

Kat's picture
Kat
Offline
Joined: 05/05/2012
Posts: 395

And as has been said above, I think the reason for the change in button likely has to do with civil unions, people celebrating who cannot legally get married, etc.--in an attempt for the company to be more inclusive, which I applaud! It's still a special button and I'm sure cast members will still congratulate you--and likely ask and or assume you are on your honeymoon.

__________________

Fall 2015: Master's Degree Graduation Trip, Details TBD! Can't wait to be back in the World!
Nov. 2014: Baby's First 1/2 Day at the Magic Kingdom; our date day at Hollywood studios
Jan. 2014: Our princess was born!
May 2013: Our POR & DCL honeymoon (& my husband's first Disney trip of hopefully many!)
May 2013: Our Disney-themed wedding

twilightsparrow's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/16/2012
Posts: 337

Kat wrote:
And as has been said above, I think the reason for the change in button likely has to do with civil unions, people celebrating who cannot legally get married, etc.--in an attempt for the company to be more inclusive, which I applaud! It's still a special button and I'm sure cast members will still congratulate you--and likely ask and or assume you are on your honeymoon.

I agree with Kat, and the others. I think it's a way of Disney including everyone, and make everyone's celebration feel special...as they should since that is true customer service. When I see the Happily Ever After pins I also assume that the couple is on their honeymoon or anniversary. When you wear the bride or groom Mickey ears then CM's and guests definitely make the honeymoon connection.

__________________

AKV-Kidani 8/2013 ~ PORS 11/2012 ~ CBR 11/2010 ~ CBR 5/2010

OUR DVC HOME: SSR

Offline
Joined: 11/29/2012
Posts: 35

Good thing they still have the Bride&Groom ears!

We'll be wearing those....

__________________

Paul

Honeymooning 9/22-9/29/2013
Staying at WL

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2642

We were there in November for our honeymoon and wore the Happily Ever After buttons and the cast members all assumed it was our honeymoon. We got lots of congratulations and even a special dessert at the Garden Grill (this was without the ear hats too). Since they have different buttons for anniversaries, everyone seems to know that happily ever after means you were just married.
Don't worry, with those buttons the cast members still make you feel special biggrin We wore the bride and groom ear hats on our last day and they draw even more attention, especially from other guests in the park. We even had a lady sing to us!

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5227

Happily Ever After buttons = Just Married buttons. They haven't done away with the Just Married buttons, they just changed what it says. We wore Happily Ever After buttons on our last trip (never once wore the ears) and we never had a single cast member not realize it was our honeymoon. The anniversary buttons are completely different and seperate then the Happily Ever After buttons.

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2917

I'm sure the decision was based on a recommendation from their legal department

__________________

Coming Up:
PoP! 12/15-12/18/17 Merry Christmas!
BCV 12/28/17-1/4/18 Happy New Year!
DCL Fantasy May 2018
DCL Dream Sept 2018

Recent: POP! BLT BCV 5/21-5/31/2015
BLT Poly BCV 9/26-10/6/2015
DL 9/10-9/15/2015
BCV NYE! 12/29/2015-1/4/2016
Spring Surprise BWV AKL 5/27-6/5/2016
Universal Hard Rock 9/30-10/4/2016 Halloween Horror Nights
Poly - DCL Dream - BCV 10/14-10/25/16 The Big Meet Up
4/7-4/12/17 Back in the SSR
BLT-BWV 5/27-6/4/17 A Tale of Two Views
DL-Vegas VGC-Bellagio 9/16-9/23 Slip Me a Mickey
BCV 10/4-10/7/17 Beer & Wine Festival
Pop! 10/11-10/15/17 Because We Are Crazy

DVC owner since 2002

Kristen K.'s picture
Online
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 19782

No one is being denied anything, because no one is entitled to a button.

The buttons are lovely gifts from Disney to people who are celebrating something, and as such should be accepted as a gift. They are not a right, nor should they be viewed as such for any reason. Disney has not always given buttons, it's only been a few years now that they've had them. It doesn't matter what guests prefer, the buttons are a "favor" and should only be viewed as such. As the recipient of a gift, anyone who is lucky enough to receive a button should just say thank you.

There is no reason to be offended at the thought of being wished a Happily Ever After...

__________________

Offline
Joined: 11/29/2012
Posts: 35

The Colonel wrote:
I'm sure the decision was based on a recommendation from their legal department

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lawyers wonder WHY they're hated so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

__________________

Paul

Honeymooning 9/22-9/29/2013
Staying at WL

Offline
Joined: 11/29/2012
Posts: 35

Allie wrote:
Happily Ever After buttons = Just Married buttons. They haven't done away with the Just Married buttons, they just changed what it says. We wore Happily Ever After buttons on our last trip (never once wore the ears) and we never had a single cast member not realize it was our honeymoon. The anniversary buttons are completely different and seperate then the Happily Ever After buttons.

Just Married buttons = Just Married buttons.

__________________

Paul

Honeymooning 9/22-9/29/2013
Staying at WL

JeffC's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4438

This is not the type of forum that promotes hate or disdain for any group or occupation.

coreyp's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/06/2012
Posts: 189

I completely understand your frustration because I have met many married people, even those just married, who are far from Happy and won't be "happy for ever after" for sure. When my DW and I got Happily Ever After buttons when we were on our honeymoon, I suppose that better described us than Just Married though, so I'm glad we had a chance to let the (Disney) World know that we will live happily ever after.

__________________

Follow along on our adventure as we make the move for a great life, and move to Orlando!

https://adventuresinears.wordpress.com/

1987(sort of)-Fariway Villas (I was not born yet, but could hear all the sounds of WDW)
1991-Fairway Villas (My first official trip to WDW)
2000-Fort Wilderness Campsites (last family trip before siblings got married and had kids)
2004-Caribbean Beach
2008-Pop Century
2012-Contemporary Resort (Honeymoon)
2015- Caribbean Beach (daughter's first trip)
2017- Cabins at Fort Wilderness

twilightsparrow's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/16/2012
Posts: 337

Kristen K. wrote:
No one is being denied anything, because no one is entitled to a button.

The buttons are lovely gifts from Disney to people who are celebrating something, and as such should be accepted as a gift. They are not a right, nor should they be viewed as such for any reason. Disney has not always given buttons, it's only been a few years now that they've had them. It doesn't matter what guests prefer, the buttons are a "favor" and should only be viewed as such. As the recipient of a gift, anyone who is lucky enough to receive a button should just say thank you.

There is no reason to be offended at the thought of being wished a Happily Ever After...

Well said Kristen...Disney does alot to make sure their guests are happy and that they are enjoying the magic.

__________________

AKV-Kidani 8/2013 ~ PORS 11/2012 ~ CBR 11/2010 ~ CBR 5/2010

OUR DVC HOME: SSR

Kristen K.'s picture
Online
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 19782

Paul Couturier wrote:
Just Married buttons = Just Married buttons.

These buttons are obviously very important to you.

Are you interested in purchasing them? Have you tired to find a pair on EBay? I know when they started becoming more rare last year there were some sellers. Some of the people on the boards have contacts in different collectible markets.

__________________

Miss Mikki's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/20/2012
Posts: 766

We got married and honeymooned in Disney in 2011. We got "happily ever after" badges which I thought was a lovely gift from Disney as Kristen said. "Happily ever after" sounds much more magical than "just married". Also some people have to save up for their Disney honeymoon and go months or even years after their actual wedding day so "happily ever after" makes more sense. I personally prefer "happily ever after". It is more inclusive, more Disney in style and more magical.

__________________

no ticker Sad

crazycatperson's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
Posts: 3709

JeffC wrote:
This is not the type of forum that promotes hate or disdain for any group or occupation.

clapping awesome clapping awesome clapping

mimi's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/27/2012
Posts: 234

JeffC wrote:
This is not the type of forum that promotes hate or disdain for any group or occupation.

I agree. 100++%

Being one of the less fortunate that had to save years for our honeymoon, I'm just grateful that we finally can afford a honeymoon!

My only expectations are those outlined in the Magic My Way package - which does NOT include celebration buttons, free desserts, special attention from CMs, etc.

To echo a previous comment, anything extra is a gift and I'd be appreciative of ANY kind of recoginition of the happiest day of my life. I don't need to wear a button to show off to anyone or to get something for nothing.

My advice to Paul C - if you really need to have "just married" buttons - bring your own!

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4635

JeffC wrote:
This is not the type of forum that promotes hate or disdain for any group or occupation.

You know, I was trying to come up with a post that would reflect not only my view of this website, and my personal view of this thread and the way it was heading BUT I no longer have too because Jeff just said what I was trying to say and said it very well. Thank You Jeff!!

__________________

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5227

You really seem to be worked up about this. I hope that you are able to enjoy your honeymoon to the fullest and are able to let the minor complaints and slip ups that are bound to happen roll off your shoulders.

Offline
Joined: 11/29/2012
Posts: 35

Kristen K. wrote:
Paul Couturier wrote:
Just Married buttons = Just Married buttons.

These buttons are obviously very important to you.

Are you interested in purchasing them? Have you tired to find a pair on EBay? I know when they started becoming more rare last year there were some sellers. Some of the people on the boards have contacts in different collectible markets.

Yes, they ARE very important to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, I HAVE been looking on ebay! Haven't seen any WDW Just Married buttons yet.

I also have a cousin who's a CM at MK on the lookout for any that might still be floating around in someone's desk draw at WDW!

__________________

Paul

Honeymooning 9/22-9/29/2013
Staying at WL

Offline
Joined: 11/29/2012
Posts: 35

Allie wrote:
You really seem to be worked up about this. I hope that you are able to enjoy your honeymoon to the fullest and are able to let the minor complaints and slip ups that are bound to happen roll off your shoulders.

Oh, trust me, we WILL enjoy ourselves on our honeymoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

__________________

Paul

Honeymooning 9/22-9/29/2013
Staying at WL

Kat's picture
Kat
Offline
Joined: 05/05/2012
Posts: 395

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Souvenir-Button-Just-Married-Where-Dreams-Come-True-Brand-New-/251218188320?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7dc55820

You can buy these now for $3.95. They have 4 available and free shipping when I looked. They're Disneyland not Disney World but they would still work!

__________________

Fall 2015: Master's Degree Graduation Trip, Details TBD! Can't wait to be back in the World!
Nov. 2014: Baby's First 1/2 Day at the Magic Kingdom; our date day at Hollywood studios
Jan. 2014: Our princess was born!
May 2013: Our POR & DCL honeymoon (& my husband's first Disney trip of hopefully many!)
May 2013: Our Disney-themed wedding

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9277

Also as an idea, I know from experience that the CM's at the Christmas shops that do the customized ornaments are known to customize the buttons for people. That's even more of a personal touch. You never know when the magic will happen!

Miss Mikki's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/20/2012
Posts: 766

I also had a look on eBay and other forums to see if I could find out more information about this for you. I don't know if this is true or not but one of the posts on another forum said that because the "Just Married" buttons are not current, CM assume you are wearing an old button from a previous trip, even if you could get hold of them now. Is there any particular reason that this badge wording and design are so important to you? Why does "Happily ever after" fall short of your expectations? Does your wife-to-be feel the same or will the badges be a surprise for her? I am sorry for all the questions, but as someone who was happy with their "happily ever after" button, I would like to be able to understand your point of view.

__________________

no ticker Sad

Kris1971's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/10/2011
Posts: 2350

Truthfully guys/gals, I'm finding this entire thread to be a bit much. Its a button for crying out loud. Its not an entitlement. I have to agree with Jeff...."this is not the type of forum that promotes hate or disdain for any group or occupation", and quite frankly, I'd like to see the entire thread removed by an administrator because I'm starting to find it a bit offensive, and that's not something I'd expect from this forum!

__________________