Kristen K’s Whirlwind Adventure May 2016 – Postponed Due To Injury :-( #NeverSayCancel

Login to post comments
52 posts / 0 new
Kristen K.'s picture
Kristen K’s Whirlwind Adventure May 2016 – Postponed Due To Injury :-( #NeverSayCancel

There have been lots of changes to this since I first found out I would get to go!

This trip materialized by the good graces of friends and my husband who all know how important it is for me to be able to get down to Disney in order to stay fresh and current with the latest information. My BFF bought my airline tickets, and then graciously gave up some DVC points that I had given to her so I could stay an extra night. My husband gave me a huge chunk of money he had been saving, as well as telling me to use some Hyatt reward points so I can stay near the airport the night before my very early flight. I've got other friends pitching in at my house while I'm away so that the girls are sure to get to and from work without any issues. And - the kids are giving me an experience while I'm there as my Mother's Day gift. It's been a real group effort to make this trip happen and I feel so very blessed so many people have come together to make this trip happen for me.

A small note. If you look back at many of my trip reports, I have a habit of never finishing them. laugh I will do my very best to make sure I complete this one. On with the pre-trip!

TRAVELERS: Just me, Kristen K - Intrepid reporter of all things Disney

RESORTS: Polynesian Village Resort Deluxe Studio Villa with a split stay to Saratoga Springs Resort Deluxe Studio Villa

I'm staying at the Poly!!!! I cannot properly express how excited about this - I just can't - it is not humanly possible. Adding on a night here is going to allow me to go experience a few things that were on my list, but I thought I might have to cancel for lack of time & energy.

I've never done a split stay before, so that will be interesting. I think I plan on taking an Uber from one hotel to the other. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to move my baggage or let the bell staff handle it. Based on Allie's recent trip report I'm leaning towards taking it with me in the Uber and just storing it at SSR.

RESTAURANTS: I've made reservations at, or have plans to eat at the following restaurants & lounges. And yes - technically I'm only there 4 days. And yes - they're going to have to roll me home. I'm on the Deluxe Dining Plan.

Day 1: Captain Cooks (L), Quiet Pool Bar& Grill at the Poly, Poly Feature Pool Bar, California Grill (D), Trader Sam's, Tambu Lounge'

Day 2: Kona Cafe (B), Moromoto Asia Forbidden Lounge (L), Vivoli Gelattoria, Harambe Market , Mr. Kamals, Zuri's Sweets, Andapur Royal Tea Company, Thirsty River Bar & Snacks , Yak & Yeti (D)

Day 3: Trolley Car Cafe (B), Spice Road Table (L), The Smokehouse, Le Halles, Japan Outdoor Kitchen, Taste Track Grilled Cheese, Adventureland Eggroll Cart, Skippers Canteen (D), Sunshine Seasons

Day 4: Artists Palate (B), Dockside Margaritas, Jock Lindsay's, The Boathouse The Ganachery, Downtown Snow Company

PARK DAYS: I have a two day parkhopper and hope to hit all Four Parks. I'll also be doing a Monorail Crawl and Disney Springs.

FASTPASS+: I have some FastPass+ selections made at both MK and DAK. They are really just place holders for now. I am stalking the Disney's Animal Kingdom park hours and FastPass+ selections for Rivers of Light and the Nighttime Safari. These are really the only two rides that I have my heart set upon.

SPECIAL ACTIVITIES: I plan on taking an Italian Water Taxi Tour, and getting a SENSES Spa Treatment (those aren't quite funded yet, so fingers still crossed). Plus - I've got a meet-up with Robyn and Sy planned for dinner. Yay!

PACKING: Clothes Bag, Electronics Bag, Camera Bag " I've sure got a lot of luggage for one person.

WARDROBE: Ugh! I haven't even begin to think about this yet.

----------------

I'm under 60 says and I am now all checked in! My Magic Bands are selected (one purple, one blue) and my ECV is ordered for the days that I'm at SSR. Not having an ECV for my Poly day will force me to take it a little easier and not rush to much.

I'll need to call and change my Magical Express today.

JoAnn C's picture

sounds great, Kristen. I did a split stay in 2014 and didn't have any issues with Disney moving my luggage from All Star Spots to Port Orleans Riverside. Keep the option open.

Kristen K.'s picture

JoAnn C wrote:
sounds great, Kristen. I did a split stay in 2014 and didn't have any issues with Disney moving my luggage from All Star Spots to Port Orleans Riverside. Keep the option open.

I have to take a Taxi or Uber from the Poly to SSR at after breakfast either way, because my ECV will be waiting for me at SSR. If I was switching hotels on the bus, I would give it a try, but since I have to physically go on my own I thought it might be just as easy to take my bags with.

RobynPrincess's picture

Oooh you are packing in a lot of food aren't you hehehe when will you have time to get on any rides?? laugh I can't wait to meet up with you for dinner, I'm working on a Star Wars outfit for that day seeing as its may the fourth Wink

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Kristen K.'s picture

RobynPrincess wrote:
Oooh you are packing in a lot of food aren't you hehehe when will you have time to get on any rides?? laugh I can't wait to meet up with you for dinner, I'm working on a Star Wars outfit for that day seeing as its may the fourth Wink

It is indeed! I plan on starting out that day at DHS to try and quickly do the new Star Wars stuff. I need to hit the Launch Bay, there will be a new show, and the Storm Troppers marching through. Then I'll headed over to Epcot for lunch, I need to hit the gallery in Japan, hopefully the DVC Member Lounge. Finally I'll head over to the MK and get some pictures of the new hub before meeting you guys for dinner in the MK. LOL! It's going to be quite a day.

I don't think I'll actually get to ride many rides. I'll do Pirates & the Tiki Room in the MK because its tradition, I need to see the new Star Wars stuff at DHS, and I've got my fingers crossed for a Nighttime Safari on the 3rd. Other than that though it's going to be a lot of shows and food. Adding the extra night gives me some more time to relax at the MK after dinner, so I'm happy about that. I won't have to rush on to the next place!

danijrod's picture

Sounds like a fun food packed trip! Can't wait to read your report Smile

Kris1971's picture

Looking forward to reading your trip report. Sounds like quite the 4 days!

Allie's picture

So so so excited for you, especially with the addition of a night at the Poly! yay And holy crap that is a lot of food! I'm beyond jealous!

Kristen K. wrote:

I've never done a split stay before, so that will be interesting. I think I plan on taking an Uber from one hotel to the other. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to move my baggage or let the bell staff handle it. Based on Allie's recent trip report I'm leaning towards taking it with me in the Uber and just storing it at SSR.

Hahaha! I would like to think that this was just an isolated incident and especially if you are moving from the Poly to Saratoga (vs. All Star Sports) that they would handle your luggage with more care. That being said, if you are taking an Uber and will have a small amount of luggage I would probably just take it if I were me so I wouldn't have to stress about it.

Kristen K.'s picture

Kristen K. wrote:

Hahaha! I would like to think that this was just an isolated incident and especially if you are moving from the Poly to Saratoga (vs. All Star Sports) that they would handle your luggage with more care. That being said, if you are taking an Uber and will have a small amount of luggage I would probably just take it if I were me so I wouldn't have to stress about it.

I *think* that I'm going to have a half empty suitcase, my electronics bag, and my camera bag. I can't decided if I want to bring my computer or not. The only thing I'll probably use it for is to upload my pictures and clear off my SD card at the end of the day. My gut is that I don't really need to take it, but it has been so many years since I haven't traveled with it the thought gives me a bit of anxiety. laugh

Kristen K.'s picture

OK - *Squee*

Disney just updated this page https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/animal-kingdom/nomad-lounge/

To say that Tiffin's and the Nomad Lounge will be opening for April 22nd!!!! I need to start living on the reservations website.

JoAnn C's picture

clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping

Kristen K.'s picture

OK - So I started experimenting with my camera taking video today. I'm going to do a couple of these pre-trip reports, and then hopefully capture enough video on site to make this worth while. So, hopefully I'm not too dorky for you all to stand watching. laugh Let me know what you think about how this quick introduction went. crossfingers

https://.be

MrHub's picture

Great start!

RobynPrincess's picture

Omg that's awesome! Love it.

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Vettelover's picture

You're off to a wonderful start, looking forward to seeing it all. awesome

Kristen K.'s picture

Thank you! Katie said that I'm not polished enough, stuttered, and said "uhhh." They joys of living with a 16 year old film critic. laugh

JMed's picture

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to SEE more!!!! awesome biggrin

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Belinda's picture

That was great!!

** BeLiNdA **

BarbaraB's picture

Wow! What a jam-packed trip you have planned there! You're going to need a vacation after it's over. biggrin Can't wait to hear (and see) all about it! Love the video pre-trip report!

~ Barb ~

Kristen your video was super and it sure is whole lot better than what I could do. Looking forward to your video trip report!

Allie's picture

Too cute! Love it! awesome

JanJ's picture

Great job Kristen! I look forward to seeing the videos of your upcoming trip.

Spook's picture

It was hard for me to focus on what you were saying as I was too busy being jealous of your Orange Bird Ears laugh

I'm kidding! (well, not about being jealous wink ). I LOVE your video! I'm really looking forward to more awesome

JoAnn C's picture

great job

Kristen K.'s picture

Spook wrote:
It was hard for me to focus on what you were saying as I was too busy being jealous of your Orange Bird Ears laugh

I'm kidding! (well, not about being jealous wink ). I LOVE your video! I'm really looking forward to more awesome

rolling

kathys's picture

Love the idea can't wait to see your video after your trip

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

SO Great!!! I love it!

jtownpluto's picture

Love the video, can't wait for more!

amy1989's picture

sounds like a great trip planned!!! I might see you rushing round the parks somewhere to say hi!

love the video idea its great!!!!

Magic Mirror's picture

Please, Please, PLEASE take pictures of all the food and drink you will get to try!!

and Loving your Video!

Kristen K.'s picture

So - okay then. As some of you have read on Facebook, yesterday I was walking out of the grocery store and fell off the curb. Despite what my daughter said was a graceful fall, I wound up with a broken ankle. Specifically, a closed, displaced distal tibia fracture, and two related fractures to that. That earned me a trip to the ER, where they realigned the bones, and put me into a hard splint. I am completely immobile and will be going in for surgery next week (an open reduction) for them to pin and set it.

As soon as the Orthopedic surgeon started talking surgery I began to freak out. I cried "but I'm leaving for Disney in 28 days." He said that will put me two weeks after surgery, so he doesn't see any reason that I can't go. However I need to have an ECV, keep my ankle elevated as much as possible, and try to take it easy. LOL - this trip was not supposed to be about taking it easy. Now it is going to be whether I like it or not.

Back to the drawing board for planning!

PreviewAttachmentSize
broken-3-places.jpg
broken-3-places.jpg85.53 KB