Mele Kalikimaka WDW Adventure 2015 - COMPLETED

Login to post comments
257 posts / 0 new
juneau biscuits's picture

After finishing up photographing the grounds, we heading to the Contemporary for our dinner reservations at the California Grill. We went a bit earlier so we could check out the hotel and shops. I had to get a close up look at the Mary Blair mural since she is one of my all time favorite Disney artists. Her mastery of colors and stylized approach always amazes me. I never realized for the longest time what an impact her art had on the Disney animated classics as well as the theme parks. There were some bakers/chefs working some tables around that area with various goodies for sale. I was tempted, but wanted to save my appetite for our meal. At the designated time, we headed to the restaurant for check-in at the reservation counter.

Netti @ Disney's Contemporary Resort 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's California Grill 00 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Upon entering, I was blown away by the design and look of the restaurant. I had seen photos on the internet prior to our arrival, but experiencing it in person was even better. We were quickly seated and handed menus. Earlier at lunch, Sue and I split the meal of burger, fries, and shake, partly because we didn't want to feel stuffed prior to dinner. It's a practice we ended up sticking to for our entire stay at WDW! I normally prefer ordering my own dish (and not having to share), but it really worked out well for us. Besides saving on money, it left us leaving the restaurant feeling satisfied with maybe wanting just a little more (which is a good thing). By not stuffing myself to the hilt, I was able to indulge in the occasional snack or treat.

Disney's California Grill 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's California Grill 0000 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Our friends Kelly & Colleen, along with their daughter Erin and her newlywed husband Jesse, joined us for dinner. Although we planned the trip together, we found out fairly early that it was nearly impossible for all six of us to stay together. Our philosophy was get together when possible, but be flexible so folks can do what they want without worrying about the others in the group. Meals and reserved shows were two of the times where we all were together, so it made these get moments even more special. Sue and I decided to split a Dragon Roll, a Caesar salad, and the Oak-fired Filet of Beef. The waiter was kind enough to split up our food on separate plates, so we didn't have to portion it out ourselves. Besides making it less messy, this kept the presentation classy and appealing! I had to laugh when our steak entree arrived. The portion was small to begin with, so cutting in half...well....I remember Kelly looking at it and saying "Is that all you're eating?". I took my first bite and could not believe how tender and moist the beef was...it literally melted in my mouth. This was the one time I wish we had not split our meals...LOL!

Kelly & Colleen @ Disney's California Grill by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Jesse & Erin @ Disney's California Grill by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue & Len @ Disney's California Grill by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's California Grill 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's California Grill 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Kristen K.'s picture

juneau biscuits wrote:
Although we planned the trip together, we found out fairly early that it was nearly impossible for all six of us to stay together. Our philosophy was get together when possible, but be flexible so folks can do what they want without worrying about the others in the group. Meals and reserved shows were two of the times where we all were together, so it made these get moments even more special.

Yes, this! I have a family of 6, plus we sometimes travel with my best and her family and doing things this way is the best. Everyone gets to do what they want to most, and then we have shared experiences on top of it, and the conversation is always great at dinner together when you get to hear what everyone else was doing. I love this!

Kristen K. wrote:
juneau biscuits wrote:
Although we planned the trip together, we found out fairly early that it was nearly impossible for all six of us to stay together. Our philosophy was get together when possible, but be flexible so folks can do what they want without worrying about the others in the group. Meals and reserved shows were two of the times where we all were together, so it made these get moments even more special.

Yes, this! I have a family of 6, plus we sometimes travel with my best and her family and doing things this way is the best. Everyone gets to do what they want to most, and then we have shared experiences on top of it, and the conversation is always great at dinner together when you get to hear what everyone else was doing. I love this!

Our groups could definitely vacation together Kristen! awesome

I'm not a big dessert guy, but I was so impressed with the food that I had to give their sweets a try! Sue ordered the Sundae Sampler, while I took a swing at the Chocolate Pudding Cake. We were 1 for 2 as the sampler was incredible, both in presentation and taste! All three items were great...not too sweet and very unique. My cake wasn't bad, but as a chocolate lover, it didn't do much for me. The meal ended with some coffee and small talk. I took this time to shoot a few photos of the restaurant before heading out to the balcony for the fireworks show.

Disney's California Grill 11 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's California Grill 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's California Grill 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's California Grill 08 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Fireworks from the Terrace @ Disney's California Grill by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's California Grill 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After leaving the Contemporary, we all headed back to our respective hotels to get ready for our 1st full day at a Disney park. Magic Kingdom ended up being our destination, mainly because that was the day we were able to secure reservations for lunch at Be Our Guest. Fast passes were the order of the day as we got into the park, with the 1st two at Pirates and Splash Mountain. Our 3rd was for Seven Dwarves Mine Train, but that wasn't until 8:00 in the evening (the earliest would score online).

Walking though the turnstiles for the first day at a Disney park always strikes me as a bit surreal. It seems like you plan and wait for eons (in our case it was almost 16 months), and suddenly the moment comes when you're actually standing in theme park nirvana. This feeling is probably lost on annual pass holders and locals, but for a guy from Hawaii, it ranks right up there with buying your first car, turning 21, and sitting in a dark theater waiting for "The Avengers" to start...LOL! Sue had decided to sleep in a little late, so I entered into MK by myself, planning to meet her later in the morning.

While a lot of folks are scurrying to rides and attractions, I like to stroll through Main Street and peruse the shops. Along the way I'll grab a hot cup of coffee with a pastry and fine some out of the way area to sit down and soak in Disney. From there I'll head to Cinderella's castle and let fate (actually more like my fast passes) decide which land I'll journey to...

Cinderella's Castle-An Afternoon Peek 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Main Street Confectionary @ Disney's Magic Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Candy Treats Detail on Main Street USA by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Freshly Baked Goods on Main Street by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Horse & Trolley on Main Street USA by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Horse & Trolley on Main Street USA 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Wreath on Main Street USA by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Because we were in the Magic Kingdom, this meant trying one of those cinnamon waffles from Sleepy Hollow restaurant. So neither fate nor fast pass could override my stomach's directive to head to Liberty Square! The dessert was hot and crispy and dusted with a generous sprinkling of sugar cinnamon powder...maybe too generous! I was cleaning that stuff out of every crevice known to man.

Liberty Square-Frontierland Sign @ Disney's Magic Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Liberty Square Entrance @ Disney's Magic Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sleepy HollowFunnel Cake with Cinnamon by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Taking advantage of Liberty Square, I headed to a showing of The Hall of Presidents. The Lincoln show at Disneyland is one of my favorites (and no, I don't mean as a snooze break), so having all the head chiefs on one stage was nirvana. In the past, I had always wished I could snap a photo of this attraction, but when cast members would say "No flash photography", I had assumed it meant no photography period. This is because I didn't think it possible to take this picture without using a flash! After learning it was possible using "fast" glass and manual settings, I was like a hungry bear ready to attack a thick juicy steak!

The Hall of Presidents @ Liberty Square 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Hall of Presidents @ Liberty Square 07 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Hall of Presidents @ Liberty Square 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Hall of Presidents @ Liberty Square 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

I wonder how long it will take to put the new president in?

I am loving your photos, they are just so good. The one of the fireworks from the top of the Contemporary is so clear. Literally the first thing I do when I wake up is to look for another post from you!

Sally-Ann wrote:

I am loving your photos, they are just so good. The one of the fireworks from the top of the Contemporary is so clear. Literally the first thing I do when I wake up is to look for another post from you!

Thanks Sally-Ann, I appreciate the generous comments! I'm glad you're enjoying it as there is a ton more of stuff left to post... waiting

I was curious about how long it takes the Imagineers to put in a new figure...the new president would have to record his dialogue too.

After the show, I moseyed on back to Main Street to meet Sue. I ran into the Main Street Trolley singers performing Christmas songs decked out in their holiday outfits. It's this attention to detail that makes Disney the undisputed king of theme parks.

Holiday Performers @ Magic Kingdom 2015 10 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Holiday Performers @ Magic Kingdom 2015 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Holiday Performers @ Magic Kingdom 2015 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Holiday Performers @ Magic Kingdom 2015 12 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Holiday Performers @ Magic Kingdom 2015 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Holiday Performers @ Magic Kingdom 2015 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue snuck up me during the musical numbers. Wives are like ninja warriors sometimes, silent, swift, and sweet. After my heart attack had subsided, we went to redeem our fast pass for Pirates of the Caribbean. I always feel short changed on the WDW version. It's missing the whole Louisiana bayou queue which is a key element at the Disneyland attraction. The jump from present time to a past filled with pirates is very jarring and abrupt. Those early missing scenes are not there for window dressing. Everything Disney does has a specific purpose that contributes to a total immersive experience. This helps the audience except the transitioning in a smooth and natural manner. POC is such a key E-ticket ride that I cannot understand why it wasn't given the full blown treatment (space could not have been an issue). I feel the same when I ride Tower of Terror at DCA.

Pirates of the Caribbean @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 07 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 09 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

juneau biscuits wrote:
Sally-Ann wrote:

Thanks Sally-Ann, I appreciate the generous comments! I'm glad you're enjoying it as there is a ton more of stuff left to post... waiting

I was curious about how long it takes the Imagineers to put in a new figure...the new president would have to record his dialogue too.

Interesting you said he, could be she Wink

Sally-Ann wrote:
juneau biscuits wrote:
Sally-Ann wrote:

Interesting you said he, could be she Wink

Poor oversight on my part... laugh

Allie's picture

juneau biscuits wrote:
Walking though the turnstiles for the first day at a Disney park always strikes me as a bit surreal. It seems like you plan and wait for eons (in our case it was almost 16 months), and suddenly the moment comes when you're actually standing in theme park nirvana. This feeling is probably lost on annual pass holders and locals, but for a guy from Hawaii, it ranks right up there with buying your first car, turning 21, and sitting in a dark theater waiting for "The Avengers" to start...LOL!

I know exactly what you mean. We get to go every one to two years (this year we are sneaking in a second trip but it will be another two years before we get to go again) and I get this same exact feeling every time we go.

When we're not on the dining plan we use the same strategy that you do in splitting meals. The portions are so generous and then we can also get an appetizer or a snack later to share without feeling like a stuffed turkey. Sorry your Beaches and Cream meal was a bummer!

Allie wrote:
juneau biscuits wrote:
Walking though the turnstiles for the first day at a Disney park always strikes me as a bit surreal. It seems like you plan and wait for eons (in our case it was almost 16 months), and suddenly the moment comes when you're actually standing in theme park nirvana. This feeling is probably lost on annual pass holders and locals, but for a guy from Hawaii, it ranks right up there with buying your first car, turning 21, and sitting in a dark theater waiting for "The Avengers" to start...LOL!

I know exactly what you mean. We get to go every one to two years (this year we are sneaking in a second trip but it will be another two years before we get to go again) and I get this same exact feeling every time we go.

When we're not on the dining plan we use the same strategy that you do in splitting meals. The portions are so generous and then we can also get an appetizer or a snack later to share without feeling like a stuffed turkey. Sorry your Beaches and Cream meal was a bummer!

This was the first time we split everything and it turned out to be an eye opener. I guess I can't pack away those calories like I use to....LOL!

A little after noon, we made our way to Fantasyland and the Be Our Guest restaurant. The place was packed with people waiting for their names to be called. We had about a 15 minute wait which gave me the chance to check out the details at the entrance, as well as (of course) snap a few photos. After our number was up, we went inside to the self ordering podiums loaded with the menu. I ordered the carved roast beef sandwich and Sue went with the Braised Pork. Not sure what the others ordered but I know one of them had the turkey sandwich. Inside was even more amazing with the ballroom and its artistic ceilings the highlight of the restaurant. We were assigned a table in one of the side locations...the one with Beauty and the Beast figures dancing in the middle of the room. Much to my dismay, I had the wrong settings on my camera so failed to get any decent shots, other then a few grainy photos. Both my wife and my meals were surprisingly bland and mediocre. Not sure what it is that failed to hit the mark (maybe we were both still remembering last night's dinner at California Grill), but we were a surprising 1 of 3 in terms of a great meal (Beaches & Cream being the other disappointment). Not to worry, as this was the last time a Disney meal would leave us less than satisfied. Nonetheless, I still had a great time and I would go back again with no questions asked. The Imagineers really outdid themselves putting this restaurant together. The lighting, the design, the scope, the colors....no stone was left untouched.

Be Our Guest Restaurant Entrance Sign by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Entrance @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue & the Lion @ Be Our Guest Restaurant 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Detail 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Detail 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Megan @ Be Our Guest Restaurant 2 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Order Station @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Order Station @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Detail 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Detail 08 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Detail 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Detail 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After lunch, we wanted pictures in front of the Christmas tree. This one is of Jesse, Erin, Colleen, and Kelly. Unfortunately the one of Sue and I came out blurry (the focus was behind us). That's a common occurrence when handing off cameras sometimes...

The Shishido Clan @ Be Our Guest Restaurant Ballroom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

From there, we headed to Gaston's Tavern for some LeFou's brew (our dessert for lunch, so to speak)! On the way we passed Maurice's Popcorn cart which I dug because it reinforces that you're in Belle's world. Nobody does immersive theming like Disney (although Universal is giving them a run for their money with the Harry Potter areas). Gaston's turns out to be another winner. I love this little place almost as much as Be Our Guest. The fountain of LeFou and Gaston is to this eatery, like Cinderella castle is to Fantasyland, or the Tree of Life to Animal Kingdom. So iconic and eye catching...you are automatically drawn to this fountain. The line to meet Gaston was so long that we sadly passed. Looking back, I really regret that decision (so no pics of Gaston in person). Once we had LeFou's brews in hand, we found a table inside to sit down, relax, and enjoy the A/C. I like both this drink and the frosty Butter Beer at Hogsmeade, but I give the edge to LeFou's because it's slightly less sweet (mileage may vary). I took a few shots, but the dining area was very crowded. I did go back later that night to photograph the fountain at night. When I peeked into the tavern, it was totally empty except for a few workers cleaning up. I asked if it would be okay to set up my tripod and take some pics. The staff was totally cool with that and told me to have at it!

Maurice's Amazing Popping Machine by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gaston's Tavern Statue Detail 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gaston's Tavern Statue Detail 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gaston's Tavern Fountain by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gaston's Tavern Fisheye View by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gaston's Tavern Service Counter by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gaston's Tavern Cast Member Ready to Serve by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gaston's Tavern Dinning Area by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gaston's Tavern Dinning Area 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After we had finished up at Gaston's, we made our way to Splash Mountain for our fast pass ride. For the first two days at Orlando, we were blessed to have beautiful weather. Sunny but breezy during the day and pleasantly cool in the evenings. I had packed a couple of jeans and long sleeved wear, but cargo shorts and t-shirts were my choice of dress for the majority of the trip. After stopping to take a photo of the exterior, we headed inside for one of my favorite rides.

Splash Mountain Exterior 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Splash Mountain Ride Interiors 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Splash Mountain Ride Interiors 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Splash Mountain Ride Interiors 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Our last fast pass was the much anticipated Seven Dwarves Mine Train. It's a fun ride, not on the level of Big Thunder Mountain, but enjoyable enough. The scenes of the dwarves are well done, although very short. I actually like the ending the best with a peek into Snow White's cottage. I was lucky enough to be in the front cart for two of the four times, so I had a chance to take some decent shots of the Old Hag.

Seven Dwarves Mine Train Ride Outside View by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Seven Dwarves Mine Train Mine Scene 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Seven Dwarves Mine Train Mine Scene 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Seven Dwarves Mine Train White Old Hag (Daytime) by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Seven Dwarves Mine Train White Old Hag (Nighttime) by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

amy1989's picture

beautiful pictures! keep them coming!

megan1632's picture

Your pictures are breathtaking. I'm really enjoying reading your trip report

Belinda's picture

Fun report and great pics! I also passed on meeting Gaston because of the LONG line. My one regret! Guess it is a good "reason" to go back!

** BeLiNdA **

amy1989 wrote:
beautiful pictures! keep them coming!

Thank you amy1989! I've been jumping back and forth between processing photos and updating the report...hopefully I can post a few more in the next couple of days!

megan1632 wrote:
Your pictures are breathtaking. I'm really enjoying reading your trip report

Thank you so much megan1632 (although you are being too kind)!

Belinda wrote:
Fun report and great pics! I also passed on meeting Gaston because of the LONG line. My one regret! Guess it is a good "reason" to go back!

I know, right Belinda? I was watching YouTube videos of the meet and greet with Gaston prior to our trip. I said I need to take pics of this character in person, and...well....failure!

Tuesday morning was earmarked for Animal Kingdom. Our last visit there was in 2004 when Expedition Everest was just a metal frame skeleton. Sue and I had done the park in about a half day and didn't go back for the rest of our WDW stay. While I enjoyed the live animal exhibits, I really do prefer seeing Imagineer ingenuity in action, so the animals, while nice, didn't really hold my attention. I figured a 1/2 day today and another park split later in the week would be more than sufficient. Boy, was I wrong! For some reason, my wife and I fell in love with AK and ended up rerouting our plans to spend more time in this beautiful park. And it wasn't just the addition of Everest that made the park so fun, it was Harambe Market, DiVine, the food, and just the overall feel of the park. My biggest disappointment was not being able to photograph this park at night. We just could not fit it into our plans. I'm hoping to get back once Avatarland opens and AK runs well into dark.

The Christmas tree at the entrance is my favorite in all of WDW. The tree in the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge is more of a jaw dropping variety that is hard to beat spectacle wise. But there's something about the African inspired ornaments of the AK tree that is so beautiful. The mesh of colors and design come together perfectly for me.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Christmas Tree Detail 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Animal Kingdom Entrance Sign by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Animal Kingdom Box Office by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Tree of Life may also be my favorite park icon in WDW! I haven't been able to photograph it yet at night, but I'm sure that would be a game clincher. As of right now, Sleeping Beauty castle and it are too close to call. We didn't do "A Bug's Life" since we saw it back in 2004. Again, another regret, as I remember the corridor to the show had some beautifully carved animals in the walls. I'm also sure I would have gotten some closer angles and views of the tree. Nonetheless, the park icon is super photogenic and its hard to get a bad shot...

Tree of Life @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Tree of Life @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Tree of Life @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue & Len @ Tree of Life In Disney's Animal Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Tree of Life @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After entering the park, the first thing I did was look for DiVine. I had seen photos of her in some of the Disney photography forums prior to our trip. I don't recall her appearing back in 2004, so this was all new to me. From what I learned, DiVine seems to appear 45 minutes to an hour after the park opens and she is usually near the beginning of the walkway to Africa. I encountered her on two separate occasions, so the photos are of 2 different actresses portraying this whimsical muse (whimsical muse...LOL..I could only write that on a Disney blog). It's almost as fun to watch others get startled when DiVine begins to move among the plants as she blends so well into the background. Her motions are almost hypnotic as she moves with the grace of a dancer, but is walking on stilts. This juxtaposition of opposing actions makes it hard to turn away from her until she leaves at the end of a performance. I can hear Biff saying "Why don't you make like a tree and get outta here!"...hah!

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot Two 11 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot Two 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot Two 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot Two 10 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot One 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot One 07 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot One 14 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot One 10 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot One 16 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

NikkiMouse's picture

Loving all the pictures!!!

Allie's picture

I appreciate Animal Kingdom more and more every time we go. On our upcoming April trip we're going to have a couple of hours to kill while my DD is napping in the stroller so I'm really looking forward to taking the time to really explore the park. Can I ask what time you saw DiVine the second time? My husband is dying to see this and we haven't found her a single time in the park. We're planning on sleeping in a bit on our Animal Kingdom morning though so we probably will not be there in time to catch her at the hour after park opening mark.

Allie wrote:
I appreciate Animal Kingdom more and more every time we go. On our upcoming April trip we're going to have a couple of hours to kill while my DD is napping in the stroller so I'm really looking forward to taking the time to really explore the park. Can I ask what time you saw DiVine the second time? My husband is dying to see this and we haven't found her a single time in the park. We're planning on sleeping in a bit on our Animal Kingdom morning though so we probably will not be there in time to catch her at the hour after park opening mark.

Hey Allie, I saw both DiVines at roughly the same time...about an hour after park opening! I asked one of the cast members when is she scheduled to appear, and they told me whenever DiVine is in the mood... laugh!

I read on some of the forums that she usually shows in the morning and is finished by 2:00 pm or so...

NikkiMouse wrote:
Loving all the pictures!!!

Thanks NikkiMouse!

I spent a good 10-15 minutes taking photos of DiVine, so we had to make our way quickly to Expedition Everest for our fast pass. While I love the little to no wait in line for rides, not being able to enjoy and study the queue details put in by the Imagineers is a bummer! I would almost prefer to wait in line (as long as it's not overly long) so I can take a few photos and soak in the immersive atmosphere. It always helps to build up the anticipation and mood of the actual ride. I did still snap a few pics, but it was hilarious trying to focus and keep up with my wife at the same time. I really am the poster child for the clueless tourist with a camera in tow.

Expedition Everest Landscape @ DIsney's Animal Kingdom 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Animal Kingdom 10 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Animal Kingdom 12 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Respect the Power of the Yeti @ Expedition Everest in Disney's Animal Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Expedition Everest Queue Details @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 012 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Loading Dock @ Expedition Everest in Disney's Animal Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Expedition Everest did not disappoint from a thrill ride stand point, but the fact that Disney is unable to get the Yeti working full-time was big let down. The silhouetted shadow reminds me of Ursula's appearance in The Little Mermaid dark ride. Underwhelming finale for a massive build up. With all the hikes in park passes/tickets, there's no reason this should be happening. The end result is a picture of a Yeti shadow puppet... laugh ...don't be too scared and in awe now!

The Road to Expedition Everest @ Disney's Animal Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Expedition Everest Cave Art by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Shadow of the Yeti @ Expedition Everest in Disney's Animal Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Expedition Everest @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

jtownpluto's picture

These photos are so wonderful. And I've never seen DiVine before, so thanks for sharing. She looks so cool. Does she walk around or stay in one spot?

jtownpluto wrote:
These photos are so wonderful. And I've never seen DiVine before, so thanks for sharing. She looks so cool. Does she walk around or stay in one spot?

Thank you for the kind words jtownpluto! I believe DiVine stays pretty close to the pathway (to Africa) near the park entrance. Since she's on stilts, I can't imagine her walking around a lot.