New Security Checkpoints For Magic Kingdom

Login or register to post comments
10 replies [Last post]
Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 18052
New Security Checkpoints For Magic Kingdom

The new security checkpoints are up and working at the Magic Kingdom. These new points come with a variety of benefits including widening the security area, and spreading out the checkpoints for guests coming from different locations which means any one checkpoint has less fewer people going through it, it also lightens the burden for the security guards at any one checkpoint.

Metal detectors for the Magic Kingdom have been relocated to the Transportation and Ticket Center. Guests who drive to the Magic Kingdom will go through security at the TTC, while guests at the Contemporary, Grand Floridian, and Disney's Polynesian Village will be screened at the resorts' Monorail stations. Guests who arrive via boat or bus will still be screened at the park's entrance.

What are your thoughts about these changes?

__________________

oHIo's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/04/2014
Posts: 690

What about guests who walk from BLT/Contemporary?! We will be staying there in seven weeks! yay yay yay

Where will security be located for those people switching monorails to go to EPCOT? Will we have to go through security twice, once at Contemporary and again at EPCOT? eek

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2812

oHIo wrote:

Where will security be located for those people switching monorails to go to EPCOT? Will we have to go through security twice, once at Contemporary and again at EPCOT? eek

I sincerely hope they've addressed this issue in the new plan and that the monorail exit into Epcot will now be inside of the "secure perimeter". Anything else would be ludicrous.

For those who haven't been following along, I'm not a security fan in general. I am in the minority who does not subscribe to the "anything that keeps us "safe" will be tolerated" mantra because there is no way to ever be truly safe. It's bad intentions that cause one human to injure another and there's no way to screen for bad intentions. That being said, I do support expanding the secure perimeter. One of my major beefs with security has been that Disney has attempted to secure such a small fraction of their property that they might as well not even bother. Another is that the immense crowding that the procedures create is infuriatingly unmagical. This enhancement to the system does address both of those issues, so I expect to prefer it over the old method.

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 18052

oHIo wrote:
What about guests who walk from BLT/Contemporary?! We will be staying there in seven weeks! yay yay yay

Where will security be located for those people switching monorails to go to EPCOT? Will we have to go through security twice, once at Contemporary and again at EPCOT? eek

I haven't seen it myself but I seem to remember another blog saying that when switching monorails you stay within the security ring so you will only go through at the Contemporary.

As far as walking to the MK goes, I believe you will go through the bus rider security checkpoint.

__________________

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 18052

alicemouse wrote:
oHIo wrote:

Where will security be located for those people switching monorails to go to EPCOT? Will we have to go through security twice, once at Contemporary and again at EPCOT? eek

One of my major beefs with security has been that Disney has attempted to secure such a small fraction of their property that they might as well not even bother.

I've always though that the crowd that ends up in front of the MK at the old security point made a great target in itself.

__________________

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 5957

Kristen K. wrote:
oHIo wrote:
What about guests who walk from BLT/Contemporary?! We will be staying there in seven weeks! yay yay yay

Where will security be located for those people switching monorails to go to EPCOT? Will we have to go through security twice, once at Contemporary and again at EPCOT? eek

I haven't seen it myself but I seem to remember another blog saying that when switching monorails you stay within the security ring so you will only go through at the Contemporary.

As far as walking to the MK goes, I believe you will go through the bus rider security checkpoint.

My friends who I went with in February stayed at BLT. There was a security checkpoint set up on the walkway.

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 5957

Kristen K. wrote:
oHIo wrote:
What about guests who walk from BLT/Contemporary?! We will be staying there in seven weeks! yay yay yay

Where will security be located for those people switching monorails to go to EPCOT? Will we have to go through security twice, once at Contemporary and again at EPCOT? eek

I haven't seen it myself but I seem to remember another blog saying that when switching monorails you stay within the security ring so you will only go through at the Contemporary.

As far as walking to the MK goes, I believe you will go through the bus rider security checkpoint.

I stopped at the Poly the other day before going to MK. I went throug security there. I then left and took the monorail to Epcot. I had to go through security again at Epcot. You get off the monorail at Epcot before the security area.

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 18052

JoAnn C wrote:
I stopped at the Poly the other day before going to MK. I went through security there. I then left and took the monorail to Epcot. I had to go through security again at Epcot. You get off the monorail at Epcot before the security area.

Well that's annoying. How was the speed of the lines? Do they seem to be moving faster?

__________________

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1555

Epcot has a security flaw IMO. The monorail platform is where secured area (loading side) meets unsecured area (exit side). Theoretically, someone could pass something to someone on the loading side and that person goes back down the ramp still inside the secure area. This has always made me wonder. To fix this, you should have to leave the secure side before entering the monorail platform at Epcot OR have security check before boarding the monorail at the TTC.

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 5957

Kristen K. wrote:
JoAnn C wrote:
I stopped at the Poly the other day before going to MK. I went through security there. I then left and took the monorail to Epcot. I had to go through security again at Epcot. You get off the monorail at Epcot before the security area.

Well that's annoying. How was the speed of the lines? Do they seem to be moving faster?

It wasn't too bad at any of the parks. I looked for the table with the shortest lines.

I wasn't planning on going to MK today. For research purposes I decided to hop on the monorail at Epcot and go to MK. I did not have to go through security again. I wasn't sure where the security points were at the TTC and was curious if I would need to go through when changing monorails.

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 5957

Kristen K. wrote:
Guests who arrive via boat or bus will still be screened at the park's entrance.

I can't speak to those traveling by boat from the TTC. I can report that those guests traveling by boat from Poly / Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge / Ft Wilderness go through security on the boat dock at MK.

__________________

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker