Nikki's November 2012 Trip Report --- w/ pictures --- I'm home! :(

Login to post comments
93 posts / 0 new
nikkirugby13's picture

The Cookie Crumbler wrote:
I keep looking at your itinerary and my eyes get wide when I see the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. awesome yay

I too am super excited about this. I love the whole concept of Disney World and I'm really interested Walt's life and what his dreams were for Disneyland and Disney World... (geeky, yes , I know sarcastic )

I can't wait to take the tour, I will absolutly let you know all about it when we get back!

nikkirugby13's picture

Ok, so I am starting to get a little nervous/anxious about this Sandy business. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Long Island doesn't get hit as bad as they are saying....and if we do, that at the very least, flights are running on time out of Islip by Thursday evening.... crossfingers crossfingers

finngirl's picture

I think by then the worst will be over. The forecasts we've seen say the worst will be tomorrow into Tuesday. crossfingers

Diana

Time marches on. Eventually you realize it's doing it across your face.

You are gonna have a great time, Nikki! Be sure to leave a little magic for those of us coming in December. . . yay

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
J. R. R. Tolkien

Magic Mirror's picture

Yes ...i think the worse will over! crossfingers

JoAnn C's picture

HI Nikki. I hope you are able to get on and let us know how you are doing.

Kristen K.'s picture

crossfingers Fingers crossed for you Nikki! Hopefully your flights will be running, give yourself lots of extra time to get there.

Nikki I hope you weathered the storm. Here in Pgh, PA the rain has slowed to a drizzle. I hope you will be able to get to the airport to get out. Which airport will you be flying out of?

nikkirugby13's picture

I am flying out on Islip MacArthur Airport...flights are scheduled to begin today at 10am. So it is looking good for me tomorrow evening. My family & friends and I are all safe. The devastation here is overwhelming. The South Shore is awful, parts of it are just completely gone. Breezy Point, a popular vacation destination on the south shore was devastated with flooding and fires, losing at least 100 homes... Fire Island and Long Beach, both South Shore communities are flooded and unlivable, no water, no sewage treatment, it is unbelievable...thankfully the # of fatalities are few, if any, here due to the storm....a piece of traffic safety I would like to share as it was news to me....when you come across a traffic light that is not functioning, it should be treated as a four-way stop sign.. this is a NY law but I feel like it should be used as common sense.... It's really overwhelming to drive around and see the mess Sandy has left us with but I force myself to remember that we are safe and the loss is material...I am extremely thankful and in awe of the emergency response workers that have put their lives on the line to protect and help those is need....

I'm looking forward to the magic of Disney tomorrow night.... mickey

Allie's picture

nikkirugby13 wrote:
I am flying out on Islip MacArthur Airport...flights are scheduled to begin today at 10am. So it is looking good for me tomorrow evening. My family & friends and I are all safe. The devastation here is overwhelming. The South Shore is awful, parts of it are just completely gone. Breezy Point, a popular vacation destination on the south shore was devastated with flooding and fires, losing at least 100 homes... Fire Island and Long Beach, both South Shore communities are flooded and unlivable, no water, no sewage treatment, it is unbelievable...thankfully the # of fatalities are few, if any, here due to the storm....a piece of traffic safety I would like to share as it was news to me....when you come across a traffic light that is not functioning, it should be treated as a four-way stop sign.. this is a NY law but I feel like it should be used as common sense.... It's really overwhelming to drive around and see the mess Sandy has left us with but I force myself to remember that we are safe and the loss is material...I am extremely thankful and in awe of the emergency response workers that have put their lives on the line to protect and help those is need....

I'm looking forward to the magic of Disney tomorrow night.... mickey

What a perfect time to get away and escape into the magic of Disney! I hope you have a great trip!

Allie's picture

Oh geez...sorry for the triple post!

crazycatperson's picture

Nikki, have a magical trip. So glad you and yours are safe. And thanks for reminding us all about treating malfunctioning traffic signals as four-way stops. That's the law here and in a lot of other states, but it's easy to forget.

Vettelover's picture

Allie wrote:
Oh geez...sorry for the triple post!

What triple post?? Wink

JoAnn C's picture

Nikki, I'm so glad it looks good for your flight tomorrow. clapping

finngirl's picture

I hope you get out safely Nikki. Have a great trip.

Diana

Time marches on. Eventually you realize it's doing it across your face.

nikkirugby13's picture

Thanks ya' all! muchlove
I checked in for our flight tomorrow and it is scheduled to leave on time! Wohoo!! I'm ready for Disney magic! clapping yay

So glad to hear you will be able to fly out of NY. Have a magical time and can't wait to read all about your trip.

stars

JoAnn C's picture

clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping

call or email me when you know about next Thursday.

DisneyDee27's picture

Ollie wrote:
You are gonna have a great time, Nikki! Be sure to leave a little magic for those of us coming in December. . . yay

I second what Ollie said!
Have a wonderful trip awesome biggrin mickey

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.

Mase's picture

DisneyDee27 wrote:
Ollie wrote:

I second what Ollie said!
Have a wonderful trip awesome biggrin mickey

Or those heading out around the 25th of November!!!!

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Jess's picture

yay yay yay yay
So excited for you....Can't wait to hear all about it Smile

nikkirugby13's picture

I promise to leave plenty of Disney magic for all of you!! muchlove

Thanks for all good wishes! I know we're going to have a blast!
My office has been closed going on 4 days due to Hurricane Sandy and I feel so out of sorts.
I can't wait to board the plane tonight! clapping

Allie's picture

Yay it's Disney Day! mickey Have a great trip!

MrHub's picture

Have a fun & safe trip Nikki! yay

crazycatperson's picture

Go Nikki! clapping

Seriously, it's great knowing there's almost always someone from this forum enjoying WDW (or DL). We can all enjoy vicariously through others and keep our Disney spirits alive knowing we'll be back there again someday.

Mase's picture

I would say have fun... but thats a given. So safe travels!

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Magic Mirror's picture

Hoping you've made it to Disney and vacation has started mickey

nikkirugby13's picture

We are HERE! We made it....
And I'm happy to say that the almost 12 hour ordeal is almost funny to me now... I think some of you might appreciate this so as I'm waiting to get in the shower here you go....
Please keep me mind that Long Island is in shambles -- Gas is hard to find, my business has been closed all week with no power, may family members have no power and therefore no heat and it's chilly up North about this time.....so this vacation is at the perfect time...

We left out house at 3:30 in the afternoon to get to the airport, our flight was scheduled to depart at 5:45, I checked before we left, we were good to go...
We arrive at the airport, head through security, stop and buy a book and the headphones I forgot....
We meander over to our gate and I check our flight status on my phone -- LATE -- Actual departure 9:00PM!!!!!!!
Needless to say, I was one unhappy camper at that moment ....
At 10 minutes to 5 (55 minutes BEFORE our flight is scheduled to depart) Southwest text messages alerting me of the delay....
Well, after various time changes we departed around 9:10pm.... with an arrival of approx. 11 pm we were disappointed in the lack of Disney Magic for your bags but we were on our way and thrilled....

While in the air we start to descend, looking at our watches we can't believe the time we are making...
It is then announced that we are making an emergency landing in Raleigh, NC because of a medical emergency on the plan....
I am still speechless about this...poor woman who had to be carried off the plane and loaded into an ambulance.....
After about 40 minutes on the ground we were in route again..

Arrived in Orlando around midnight...

We did not get into bed in our room until about 3:15am...

Magical Express was not magical and check-in was not cheery -- I needed some cheer at 3am.....

So today is a different day (sort of sarcastic)...We are off to check out the resort AOA and Landscape of Flavors...Then Hollywood Studios w/ lunch at Mama Melroses and Fantasmic.

I'll try and check in again tomorrow. mickey

MrHub's picture

Sorry about your delay, "BUT YOUR THERE NOW!" Enjoy the Magic!

Kris1971's picture

Wow what a tough trip down, but like MrHub said...You're There Now!!! Enjoy!!!!