Photography For Solos

Login to post comments
22 posts / 0 new
Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357
Photography For Solos

I know a lot of us have traveled solo. Usually when I've wanted a shot of myself i have a photopass guy take it, but I usually don't really want that many pics of myself, maybe 1 just as evidence I went. Do you guys get shots of yourself with Disney icons, or just the icons by themselves?

SoloFriendly's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/18/2008
Posts: 556

I have never asked anyone to take my picture when I'm on vacation, and I'm starting to realize that's been a mistake. I have very few photos of myself, and no travel photos. I don't care for the photos people take of themselves by just holding their camera at arm's length and pointing it at themselves, so I won't do that. They do make something like a monopod that extends out to make it easier to take a photo of yourself. I haven't tried it yet.

I am going to try to work up the motivation to ask a CM to take my picture during my trip to WDW.

__________________

Gray
SoloFriendly.com

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

I'll often have a Photopass photographer take my picture while I'm in front of major icons and such. That can be a really boring job, so I think it's fun for them to have weirdos like me come by and pose for wacky pictures.

I've also been known to use this little guy: Gorillapod. It's a flexible tripod that's about the size of my open hand. It can wrap around balconies and poles, and bends to get the right angle. It's easy to carry around, and makes for great pictures if you don't want to ask someone to take one for you. It also keeps your camera steady for nighttime or fireworks shots.

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

I've never had a photopass guy be anything but nice about me having them take a pic with my camera. They always take another one with theirs to try to get me to buy later, but they're always nice about it. I'm sure they'd be even nicer if you're solo, recognizing that you have limited options.

SoloFriendly's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/18/2008
Posts: 556

How do I find Photopass photographers in the parks? I'm not sure I've ever seen one.

__________________

Gray
SoloFriendly.com

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

SoloFriendly wrote:
How do I find Photopass photographers in the parks? I'm not sure I've ever seen one.


They'll be wearing khaki vests and blue shorts...and they'll have really big cameras. They're usually stationed near and around the major icons of the parks, but they're also with characters on meet and greets.

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

Here's a photopass guy!

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

I was going to describe one, however, it turns out I was going to describe them wrong. I'm glad you had a picture.

MouseTraveler's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2009
Posts: 919

SoloFriendly wrote:
I have never asked anyone to take my picture when I'm on vacation, and I'm starting to realize that's been a mistake. I have very few photos of myself, and no travel photos. I don't care for the photos people take of themselves by just holding their camera at arm's length and pointing it at themselves, so I won't do that. They do make something like a monopod that extends out to make it easier to take a photo of yourself. I haven't tried it yet.

I am going to try to work up the motivation to ask a CM to take my picture during my trip to WDW.

Solo, I feel your pain, and being the outstanding humanitarian that I am, I will take all the photos of you on your next trip that you desire.

All it will require are my expenses for the trip, but hey, I'll pay my own parking! biggrin

__________________

Visit our website (work in progress) http://www.mousetraveler.tv
Visit our blog (will NEVER be finished)
http://www.mousetraveler.tv/blog
On Twitter as 'MouseTraveler' and 'BigBlueMan'

admin's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2010
Posts: 2733

Bali, you took a picture of the photopass CM???

SoloFriendly's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/18/2008
Posts: 556

Thanks for the info, you guys! MouseTraveler, there are things I would pay for if I had the money--a personal (clothes) shopper, a personal chef, a personal trainer--but a personal photographer is not one of them. laugh

__________________

Gray
SoloFriendly.com

MouseTraveler's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2009
Posts: 919

SoloFriendly wrote:
Thanks for the info, you guys! MouseTraveler, there are things I would pay for if I had the money--a personal (clothes) shopper, a personal chef, a personal trainer--but a personal photographer is not one of them. laugh

Can't blame a fella for tryin.....

__________________

Visit our website (work in progress) http://www.mousetraveler.tv
Visit our blog (will NEVER be finished)
http://www.mousetraveler.tv/blog
On Twitter as 'MouseTraveler' and 'BigBlueMan'

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

MouseTraveler wrote:
SoloFriendly wrote:
Thanks for the info, you guys! MouseTraveler, there are things I would pay for if I had the money--a personal (clothes) shopper, a personal chef, a personal trainer--but a personal photographer is not one of them. laugh

Can't blame a fella for tryin.....

Maybe you can perform those other functions as well! awesome

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

MouseTraveler wrote:
SoloFriendly wrote:
Thanks for the info, you guys! MouseTraveler, there are things I would pay for if I had the money--a personal (clothes) shopper, a personal chef, a personal trainer--but a personal photographer is not one of them. laugh

Can't blame a fella for tryin.....



We foster and encourage our entrepreneurial spirits here on WDWFG, MouseTraveler. Maybe next time.

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

dsoup wrote:
MouseTraveler wrote:
SoloFriendly wrote:
Thanks for the info, you guys! MouseTraveler, there are things I would pay for if I had the money--a personal (clothes) shopper, a personal chef, a personal trainer--but a personal photographer is not one of them. laugh

Can't blame a fella for tryin.....

Maybe you can perform those other functions as well! awesome

I think you're going to need to see how MT dresses, cooks and works out before you can hire him for those tasks.

MouseTraveler's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2009
Posts: 919

Brad wrote:

I think you're going to need to see how MT dresses, cooks and works out before you can hire him for those tasks.

Dresses OK
Cooks pretty good, actually
Works out?!? Deals off!

__________________

Visit our website (work in progress) http://www.mousetraveler.tv
Visit our blog (will NEVER be finished)
http://www.mousetraveler.tv/blog
On Twitter as 'MouseTraveler' and 'BigBlueMan'

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

admin wrote:
Bali, you took a picture of the photopass CM???

That is kind of odd now that you mention it. silly

MouseTraveler's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2009
Posts: 919

dsoup wrote:
admin wrote:
Bali, you took a picture of the photopass CM???

That is kind of odd now that you mention it. silly

DSoup.... you've now entered the Twilight Zone..... A place where the photographers are actually the models....

__________________

Visit our website (work in progress) http://www.mousetraveler.tv
Visit our blog (will NEVER be finished)
http://www.mousetraveler.tv/blog
On Twitter as 'MouseTraveler' and 'BigBlueMan'

Annie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 1610

MouseTraveler wrote:

DSoup.... you've now entered the Twilight Zone..... A place where the photographers are actually the models....


Very few people at Disney World look like models of any sort!! eek Myself included! laugh

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

Even when I don't travel alone I'm so bad at getting pictures of myself! I want them, I just never seem to think to hand off my camera and get in the shot. Of course, my family even though they frequently have cameras with them, also never think to take pictures of me. When have many a vacation that you would never know I was on.

Mrs. Minnie's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/13/2013
Posts: 76

Kristen K. wrote:
Even when I don't travel alone I'm so bad at getting pictures of myself! I want them, I just never seem to think to hand off my camera and get in the shot. Of course, my family even though they frequently have cameras with them, also never think to take pictures of me. When have many a vacation that you would never know I was on.

Completely agree, Kristen! You'll always find me behind the lens. But that may be because my hubby is so clumsy that I don't trust him with the expensive camera! wink

__________________

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language" - W.Disney

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6712

I've asked Photopass photographers, waiters, waitresses and other guests to take my picture when I have solo time in the World. Anytime another guest has taken my picture, I always repay them by taking a picture of their entire group.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker