Princess Half Marathon Weekend Support Group - 2018

Login to post comments
188 posts / 0 new
JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6712

Spook wrote:
Looks like I won't have to hang out by myself pre race this year yay Well, assuming you ladies want to meet up with me Wink

absolutey!

I have been walking more. I have the Dark side 5K coming up. I want to improve my time.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

I crushed it at the Y today! yay

I'm really excited, I had a great walk. Since I had been reading about the Galloway method for runners, I decided to add "run breaks" to my walk. Same concept as run-walk-run, just coming at it from a different direction walk-run-walk. It worked beautifully! I went farther (1.88 miles) in less time (41 minutes) felt better and recovered faster than any of my previous work outs. I'm really pleased and see a lot more of these "run breaks" in my future.

I've been in training for 3 weeks now, and I think my husband's attention span with talking to me about it is wearing thin. I'm really excited though, it's rough when I see his eyes glaze over.

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2772

Way to go Kristen
banana banana banana

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

Kristen K. wrote:
I've been in training for 3 weeks now, and I think my husband's attention span with talking to me about it is wearing thin. I'm really excited though, it's rough when I see his eyes glaze over.

Congrats on the killer workout--I'm proud of you!!

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

JMed's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2014
Posts: 3832

I have fallen off the wagon so to speak. I have been so tired the last couple weeks I can't seem to make myself get going. I need a cattle prod!

Great job all of you working hard at this, I have to get motivated soon! Castaway 5k really had me excited then boom, over.

__________________

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

It's OK to have trouble getting going, it's hard to restart a habit when you've let it slip. Take a step back and look at what you're starting with, cut it in half, and give that a try until you find a little more motivation. I started with 15 minute workouts, something really easy to fit into my day and quick to get over with. It helped start the habit of getting back to the gym without the stress off fitting a longer workout into my day.

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6712

I haven't gotten out this week. The weahter has been crappy. Hoping the rain ends soon.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

JoAnn C wrote:
I haven't gotten out this week. The weahter has been crappy. Hoping the rain ends soon.

I hear that. I've been wanted to give walking outside another try and I just haven't been able to because of constant wind and rain. I'm just not that hard core.

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2772

I'm part of the 2018 Disney Princess group on Facebook. Yesterday a new member posted wondering if anyone was going to Princess from Ontario, Canada because she is from here and was hoping to make friends before the race. I replied and was shocked to find out she lives in my small city!
As Disney says, It's a small world afterall laugh

JanJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2013
Posts: 1672

Spook wrote:
I'm part of the 2018 Disney Princess group on Facebook. Yesterday a new member posted wondering if anyone was going to Princess from Ontario, Canada because she is from here and was hoping to make friends before the race. I replied and was shocked to find out she lives in my small city!
As Disney says, It's a small world afterall laugh

That's awesome! awesome

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2772

JanJ wrote:
Spook wrote:
I'm part of the 2018 Disney Princess group on Facebook. Yesterday a new member posted wondering if anyone was going to Princess from Ontario, Canada because she is from here and was hoping to make friends before the race. I replied and was shocked to find out she lives in my small city!
As Disney says, It's a small world afterall laugh

That's awesome! awesome

Yeah! I assumed she would live down your way laugh

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

Spook wrote:
I'm part of the 2018 Disney Princess group on Facebook. Yesterday a new member posted wondering if anyone was going to Princess from Ontario, Canada because she is from here and was hoping to make friends before the race. I replied and was shocked to find out she lives in my small city!
As Disney says, It's a small world afterall laugh

Well that's way cool! yay

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

I took the weekend off, I'll get back into it tomorrow I swear.

I'm struggling though. Registration date is fast approaching and I'm doing 23 minute miles. I know that I won't have a problem going to distance after a year of training, but I am so worried about my pace. I don't want to register just to get swept. But there's still so much time to go I might be okay. I just don't know.

How do you guys deal with your doubts?

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2772

Kristen K. wrote:
I took the weekend off, I'll get back into it tomorrow I swear.

I'm struggling though. Registration date is fast approaching and I'm doing 23 minute miles. I know that I won't have a problem going to distance after a year of training, but I am so worried about my pace. I don't want to register just to get swept. But there's still so much time to go I might be okay. I just don't know.

How do you guys deal with your doubts?

We'll cut you some slack, it is Easter weekend laugh Registration is quickly approaching but you still have almost 10 months to train after that. I believe I read you dropped 3 minutes per mile from when you first started. That was what, maybe two months ago? You only need to drop another 7-8 minutes, which I know sounds like a lot but I believe you can get there. You won't know until you try! These races are just as much mental as they are physical. You have to keep the negative thoughts at bay ( easier said than done I know lol). I break down my runs into smaller segments. For example, at mile 4 of a 10 mile run, I'll tell myself " only 1 more mile until the turnaround point".

JMed's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2014
Posts: 3832

Just got the ok to take off work. Now I have to register and start training!!!

__________________

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2772

JMed wrote:
Just got the ok to take off work. Now I have to register and start training!!!

yay yay yay yay

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

JMed wrote:
Just got the ok to take off work. Now I have to register and start training!!!

Whoo hooo!! I'm so excited to get to meet everyone.

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

Spook wrote:
I believe I read you dropped 3 minutes per mile from when you first started. That was what, maybe two months ago? You only need to drop another 7-8 minutes, which I know sounds like a lot but I believe you can get there.

I did! Training week 1 I was at a 26 minute pace. I'm currently in my week 6 of training, and yesterday I walked 1.5 miles and averaged a 21:48. That made me really really happy, especially because it was an outdoor session Tomorrow I have a 3.5 mile distance on my schedule. This will be my first training day over a 5K, and I'm a bit nervous but feel like I can do it. If the weather is nice I may even try and do it outside. I'm just dying to break that 20 minute mile though. I will feel so much better when I get there.

Today I'm going to see a physical therapist to get some advice on things I can do to cut down on the pain I'm having. I get 3 visits and plan to use them to my best. I love my physical therapist and hope that she'll have some good advice for me.

Becks and I are going to do the Color Run 5K in Chicago June 4th, that will be a lot of fun and help me get my head more into things. My long days have become more than a 5K every week, so I know that I'll do fine with it. There isn't a time restraint on it, but I will absolutely give it my best.

I'm still half convinced that I am going to end up getting swept. Part of me thinks that it would be so much smarter for me to register for the 5K and the 10K because I'm sure that I can finish those, they are the safe races. However the 13.1 has always been my dream, and I feel like if I don't push myself for it now I never will. I'm certainly not getting any younger.

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2772

Kristen K. wrote:
Spook wrote:
I believe I read you dropped 3 minutes per mile from when you first started. That was what, maybe two months ago? You only need to drop another 7-8 minutes, which I know sounds like a lot but I believe you can get there.

I did! Training week 1 I was at a 26 minute pace. I'm currently in my week 6 of training, and yesterday I walked 1.5 miles and averaged a 21:48. That made me really really happy, especially because it was an outdoor session Tomorrow I have a 3.5 mile distance on my schedule. This will be my first training day over a 5K, and I'm a bit nervous but feel like I can do it. If the weather is nice I may even try and do it outside. I'm just dying to break that 20 minute mile though. I will feel so much better when I get there.

Today I'm going to see a physical therapist to get some advice on things I can do to cut down on the pain I'm having. I get 3 visits and plan to use them to my best. I love my physical therapist and hope that she'll have some good advice for me.

Becks and I are going to do the Color Run 5K in Chicago June 4th, that will be a lot of fun and help me get my head more into things. My long days have become more than a 5K every week, so I know that I'll do fine with it. There isn't a time restraint on it, but I will absolutely give it my best.

I'm still half convinced that I am going to end up getting swept. Part of me thinks that it would be so much smarter for me to register for the 5K and the 10K because I'm sure that I can finish those, they are the safe races. However the 13.1 has always been my dream, and I feel like if I don't push myself for it now I never will. I'm certainly not getting any younger.

I think the main question for you is, what would bother you more? Being (possibly) swept in the half or not knowing how far you could make it?

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6712

I signed up for the virtual shorts the other day to keep me motivated.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

Spook wrote:
I think the main question for you is, what would bother you more? Being (possibly) swept in the half or not knowing how far you could make it?

I think that if I "play it safe" and just do the 5K and 10K I would have fun, but ultimately, be pretty disappointed in myself for not trying to do the race that I really want to. I feel like it's now or never, so I might as well go for the whole deal.

I had a good visit with the physical therapist and we addressed the crazy tightness that I'm feeling in my calves and shins. Essentially there is no stretch in my calf muscle on the left side (the leg I broke) and I need to work on lengthening that. She gave me a couple of new exercises to put into my routine, told me that I need to work on this every day, and I'm going to go check in again in May. The PT thinks that I can absolutely do the 13.1, that there is plenty of time, and she was really impressed with how far I have already come. She also told me that no more than a mile and a half outside until we get my lower legs loosened up a bit. I need that cushioning from the treadmill to help me not injure anything.

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

JoAnn C wrote:
I signed up for the virtual shorts the other day to keep me motivated.

Awesome!! I've been thinking about signing up for one, but I don't think I'm want to pay for the trio. LoL - I'm just not that into the Pluto theme this year. If it had been Minnie Mouse I would be all in.

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6712

I am in the coral for the dark side 5k

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

JoAnn C wrote:
I am in the coral for the dark side 5k

Whoo hooo!! Go JoAnn!!
How did it go?

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2772

Get ready Princesses! DVC and annual pass early registration is THIS Thursday! yay

JMed's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2014
Posts: 3832

Spook wrote:
Get ready Princesses! DVC and annual pass early registration is THIS Thursday! yay

I was just coming here to post about that!!

I don't have an Apple product yuck and I am pretty sure that is the only place you can get Jeff Galloway's app... I hear it is the best. Anything else you can recommend that works really good.

I am almost scared to start training now and burn myself out. Does that seem silly. I love to run but it's been so long... Hopefully with a goal I can do it!

__________________

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

JMed wrote:

I don't have an Apple product yuck and I am pretty sure that is the only place you can get Jeff Galloway's app... I hear it is the best. Anything else you can recommend that works really good.

You can do it! If I can get out there and train, so can you. muchlove

Check out http://www.halhigdon.com/

Hal's plans are what I have been using. I finished the 5K already and I'm on the 10K for walkers right now. He has you training more days a week than Jeff does, but I feel like I need that. 3 days a week will not get me to the finish line. Also, Hal's apps come in android.

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

Spook wrote:
Get ready Princesses! DVC and annual pass early registration is THIS Thursday! yay

I've got it on my calendar! I am *so* nervous and excited. I'm still fighting the "can I do it?" in my head, I had a really rough mental day yesterday. But maybe registering will give me a boost because once I register it's REAL and SO ON!

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

JoAnn C wrote:
I am in the coral for the dark side 5k

Pics of your bling!! I want to see pics of your bling!

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2772

JMed wrote:
Spook wrote:
Get ready Princesses! DVC and annual pass early registration is THIS Thursday! yay

I was just coming here to post about that!!

I don't have an Apple product yuck and I am pretty sure that is the only place you can get Jeff Galloway's app... I hear it is the best. Anything else you can recommend that works really good.

I am almost scared to start training now and burn myself out. Does that seem silly. I love to run but it's been so long... Hopefully with a goal I can do it!

I just print out Jeffs training plans from the RunDisney site and follow them. I have a Garmin watch for my intervals. I tried the app but found it hard to hear him lol