Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Ride Soft Opening - 23 May 2014

Login to post comments
17 posts / 0 new
LouisianaMike's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/22/2014
Posts: 460
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Ride Soft Opening - 23 May 2014

When we arrived at the Magic Kingdom around 4PM yesterday, we noticed people gathering around the entrance to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Cart Ride.. Sure enough, they were letting people on the ride. I talked with a CM and they said that they would be soft opening the ride all day barring any problems with the ride. The line seemed to move quickly while I was standing there chatting. Looking back, I wish I would have jumped on the ride, but had FP for BTM.. The line grew from that point on, to the point where the line was wrapped around the east side of the ride nearest the Dumbo ride. It was 75 minutes wait time at this point and it didn't slow the entire night, or atleast around 1100PM, when we departed. We have FP's for 28& 29 May, so we're weren't too worried about not getting on last night..

Here's a few pictures I took of the ride and my kids in front of the ride... LouisianaMike

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4657

Nice to hear it's really open to those who are lucky enough to be there at this time. I really kind of thought that they would be doing soft openings around now.

__________________

Offline
Joined: 02/10/2011
Posts: 597

My 20 yr old son and 14 yr old daughter went last night for the all night. Logan texted me at 3:44am that they were in line for the Mine Ride. I was concerned when I got up at 7 and they weren't home, really didn't think the little one would make it all night but she did - apparently they had Monster Energy drinks for sale. They got home shortly after 7pm and said it was awesome. When they got there around 7 it was packed and was crowded until around 2, then the crowds thinned out and they had the park to themselves from 3 on. They waited less than an hour for the Mine Ride although the sign said 80 min. They "closed the park down" at 6am!
Unfortunately they were both very disappointed with the Mine Ride. They said it doesn't match the hype and is similar to the old Barnstormer - Goofy's something now-in the Circus area. I guess they were expecting more of a thrill roller coaster, but they said there's no drops and it's slow.

__________________

Julie

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

So glad that you got to ride! We missed soft opening by 4 days. Given that this is our third trip since the first extended date of "late 2013", I was pretty bummed about missing it, but at least it's all but guaranteed to be open when we go in September!!

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2478

Julie wrote:
My 20 yr old son and 14 yr old daughter went last night for the all night. Logan texted me at 3:44am that they were in line for the Mine Ride. I was concerned when I got up at 7 and they weren't home, really didn't think the little one would make it all night but she did - apparently they had Monster Energy drinks for sale. They got home shortly after 7pm and said it was awesome. When they got there around 7 it was packed and was crowded until around 2, then the crowds thinned out and they had the park to themselves from 3 on. They waited less than an hour for the Mine Ride although the sign said 80 min. They "closed the park down" at 6am!
Unfortunately they were both very disappointed with the Mine Ride. They said it doesn't match the hype and is similar to the old Barnstormer - Goofy's something now-in the Circus area. I guess they were expecting more of a thrill roller coaster, but they said there's no drops and it's slow.

There are drops in the Mine Train unless they meant "big" drops. I love the Mine Train and think it's a great addition to the park.

Eeyore's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/22/2012
Posts: 1120

Julie wrote:
My 20 yr old son and 14 yr old daughter went last night for the all night. Logan texted me at 3:44am that they were in line for the Mine Ride. I was concerned when I got up at 7 and they weren't home, really didn't think the little one would make it all night but she did - apparently they had Monster Energy drinks for sale. They got home shortly after 7pm and said it was awesome. When they got there around 7 it was packed and was crowded until around 2, then the crowds thinned out and they had the park to themselves from 3 on. They waited less than an hour for the Mine Ride although the sign said 80 min. They "closed the park down" at 6am!
Unfortunately they were both very disappointed with the Mine Ride. They said it doesn't match the hype and is similar to the old Barnstormer - Goofy's something now-in the Circus area. I guess they were expecting more of a thrill roller coaster, but they said there's no drops and it's slow.

I was thinking it would be like this. But, it is in Fantasyland which caters to small children. Can't wait to be back to ride it!

Offline
Joined: 03/22/2014
Posts: 552

I was able to ride yesterday! yay We didn't realize it was open for a soft opening, and as soon as I saw it running we went to get in line. It was listed as a 55 minutes wait for stand-by but the line went very smoothly, some fun interactive activities (though I mostly thought they just held up the line) and overall it felt quick. It ended up being about 40-45 minutes. We thought the ride was fun. It's been advertised as a family-friendly roller coaster so I wasn't expecting any big drops or super speed. It was actually faster than I expected.

I have one big complaint that would potentially keep me from riding again or at the very least fails to put it on my "must ride" rides. The seats are VERY VERY small. The cupping of the seat hits in a very bad spot and my legs just fit between the pull down lap bar sides. I'm also only about 5'7 and my knees were very close to touching the front. I would think that a good portion of men would find this ride uncomfortable, my husband for sure, and most women who have some hips and behind.

__________________

AnnielovesDisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2013
Posts: 887

TinkASL wrote:
I have one big complaint that would potentially keep me from riding again or at the very least fails to put it on my "must ride" rides. The seats are VERY VERY small. The cupping of the seat hits in a very bad spot and my legs just fit between the pull down lap bar sides. I'm also only about 5'7 and my knees were very close to touching the front. I would think that a good portion of men would find this ride uncomfortable, my husband for sure, and most women who have some hips and behind.

OH NO eek My husband is almost 6'5 and I'm not exactly "dainty" We can't ride Space Mountain because his legs are too long. I didn't think we'd have to worry about that with this ride sad

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23740

TinkASL wrote:

I have one big complaint that would potentially keep me from riding again or at the very least fails to put it on my "must ride" rides. The seats are VERY VERY small. The cupping of the seat hits in a very bad spot and my legs just fit between the pull down lap bar sides. I'm also only about 5'7 and my knees were very close to touching the front. I would think that a good portion of men would find this ride uncomfortable, my husband for sure, and most women who have some hips and behind.

Oh no! That's very disappointing to hear. sad

AnnielovesDisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2013
Posts: 887

After TinkASL mentioned the seats being quite small, I watched a few ride through videos and read a few reviews from the press tour of the Mine train. Almost every review mentioned how small the seats are. One said that you have more room on Space Mountain than on the 7DMT. My husband can't ride SM because he's too tall and broad shouldered. One ride through showed a medium built man, small shouldered, not even slightly overweight, riding in one of the cars by himself. He took up almost the entire seat himself. There was NO room beside him for another adult. Only a child could sit beside him.

Now I know that my DH and I will never be able to sit in the seat together, or for that matter, with anyone else beside us. After watching the videos, I'm not sure we'll be able to go on it at all, even as single riders! sad I'm very disappointed. We'll have FP+ for this weekend, so we'll see if we can ride it or not crossfingers

jrice4760's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2014
Posts: 120

We got back Saturday from a week's vacation at WDW. Late into the "All-Nighter" event on 23-24 May, a member of our group found out that the Mine Train was open for business. The sign said it was a 90 minute wait, and we waited every bit of 90 minutes.

But it was worth it.

Smooth ride, quick turns, and exceptional effects. I just wish it had been during the day, so we could have seen more of the detail that went into the decorating.

Concerning the tight seats: yes they were! My knees were together under the lap bar, but I did fit. My son-in-law fit, and he is much larger than me (I'm 6', 245 lbs, he's at least as tall as me and is well over 300 lbs). Luckily, the ride is not long, and does not bang you around much.

AnnielovesDisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2013
Posts: 887

jrice4760 wrote:
Concerning the tight seats: yes they were! My knees were together under the lap bar, but I did fit. My son-in-law fit, and he is much larger than me (I'm 6', 245 lbs, he's at least as tall as me and is well over 300 lbs). Luckily, the ride is not long, and does not bang you around much.

Did you and your SIL ride together in the same car or did you ride separately? If you rode separately, did you each get to ride in the car alone? If the two of you could ride together in one car, my DH and I would be able to. He is 6'4, 280, with very broad chest and shoulders.

If you rode alone, did you have to ask the CM to ride alone, or did the CM decide that you should ride alone?
Thanks for your input, my biggest fear is getting to the front of the line and they say we're "too big to ride" laugh

jrice4760's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2014
Posts: 120

AnnielovesDisney wrote:
jrice4760 wrote:
Concerning the tight seats: yes they were! My knees were together under the lap bar, but I did fit. My son-in-law fit, and he is much larger than me (I'm 6', 245 lbs, he's at least as tall as me and is well over 300 lbs). Luckily, the ride is not long, and does not bang you around much.

Did you and your SIL ride together in the same car or did you ride separately? If you rode separately, did you each get to ride in the car alone? If the two of you could ride together in one car, my DH and I would be able to. He is 6'4, 280, with very broad chest and shoulders.

If you rode alone, did you have to ask the CM to ride alone, or did the CM decide that you should ride alone?
Thanks for your input, my biggest fear is getting to the front of the line and they say we're "too big to ride" laugh

There were seven of us riding (my wife can't do roller coasters well anymore). DD#2 and SIL #2 rode together, DD#3 and I rode together, the other two young ladies in our party rode together, and DivorcedBuddy, a frequent companion on our WDW trips, rode alone (I think). We were all on the same train, toward the front.

It's probably like any other ride, if you tell them a party of one, then you may ride by yourself (not sure, though). If you ask me, I think the biggest concern would be the leg room, rather than fitting your behind into a seat. That being said, I can't imagine Disney designing a major attraction and not considering a wide range of sizes and weights .

Offline
Joined: 03/22/2014
Posts: 552

The leg room is TIGHT for sure and as for the seat room, part of the issue is comfort. The lip on the seats hit my behind in an incredibly uncomfortable/painful spot. As jrice mentioned the ride being short was helpful because I couldn't have sat in that seat for too long. I'm sorry but if you're over a size women's 12 pants the seats will probably be uncomfortable. My husband is also a larger, broader man who is big in the chest and shoulders and while I think we would be fit, it would be tight and the edges of those seats would not be hitting where they should be.

Please know the ride is fun! It is very smooth and a great time!

__________________

Eeyore's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/22/2012
Posts: 1120

AnnielovesDisney wrote:
TinkASL wrote:
I have one big complaint that would potentially keep me from riding again or at the very least fails to put it on my "must ride" rides. The seats are VERY VERY small. The cupping of the seat hits in a very bad spot and my legs just fit between the pull down lap bar sides. I'm also only about 5'7 and my knees were very close to touching the front. I would think that a good portion of men would find this ride uncomfortable, my husband for sure, and most women who have some hips and behind.

OH NO eek My husband is almost 6'5 and I'm not exactly "dainty" We can't ride Space Mountain because his legs are too long. I didn't think we'd have to worry about that with this ride sad

My dad is 6'6 and rides Space Mountain. He can just about lick his knee cap, but by God, he rides it! laugh

Sounds like he may have some issues with the mine train though....Good to know!

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

Eeyore wrote:
My dad is 6'6 and rides Space Mountain. He can just about lick his knee cap, but by God, he rides it!

Eeyore, this description literally made me laugh out loud!

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2478

I'm over a size 12 pants size and I was comfortable on the ride seat wise. Leg room is a bit tight and you should avoid bringing any kind of bags with you on it. They do provide little bags to put your stuff in.