Would you miss IllumiNations?? Epcot lagoon getting electrical upgrades

Login to post comments
19 posts / 0 new
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4703
Would you miss IllumiNations?? Epcot lagoon getting electrical upgrades

There was a story in the Orlando Sentinel yesterday (7/25/18) that the Reedy Creek Improvement District approved extensive electrical upgrades to Epcot's World Showcase Lagoon.

The Sentinel reports that the electrical work will cost over $2 million and will involve drilling a pipe from the South side of the lagoon onto one of the lagoon islands.

Could that signal changes are happening? Speculation has circulated that something might replace IllumiNations. Among the rumors - a new drone show.

Would you miss IllumiNations if it is replaced? I probably wouldn't. We've seen it at least a dozen times and don't stay for it any more. Great show, but I would welcome something new.

JMed's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2014
Posts: 3832

I've seen it twice MAYBE 3 times. Not one of my favorites so I would like to see a change. Can't wait to see what they do with it.

On the other hand, I am still pissed about Wishes...

__________________

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9472

JMed wrote:
I've seen it twice MAYBE 3 times. Not one of my favorites so I would like to see a change. Can't wait to see what they do with it.

On the other hand, I am still pissed about Wishes...

Wishes was one of my favorites, but you have to admit, HEA is rather amazing if you are right in the hub to watch it.

JMed's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2014
Posts: 3832

MrHub wrote:
JMed wrote:
I've seen it twice MAYBE 3 times. Not one of my favorites so I would like to see a change. Can't wait to see what they do with it.

On the other hand, I am still pissed about Wishes...

Wishes was one of my favorites, but you have to admit, HEA is rather amazing if you are right in the hub to watch it.

I still haven't seen it... I will when JoAnn and I go in September. I will give it a chance, Wishes was just so touching and told a story. Seeing HEA online, I don't feel like there is a story there. We shall see...

__________________

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5477

It's time, y'all. Never been one of my favorites. We're doing an Illuminations Cruise in October and it will be a good send off. laugh

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9472

Allie wrote:
It's time, y'all. Never been one of my favorites. We're doing an Illuminations Cruise in October and it will be a good send off. laugh

Have you ever done the illuminations cruise before Allie?

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9472

Honestly, we wouldn't miss this at all. We saw it several times. Not our favorite, oh but I know some people that love it and will be mad as heck if they get rid of it.

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5477

MrHub wrote:
Allie wrote:
It's time, y'all. Never been one of my favorites. We're doing an Illuminations Cruise in October and it will be a good send off. laugh

Have you ever done the illuminations cruise before Allie?

Nope, never have! We're surprising my mother-in-law with it on her birthday and we're excited! The in-laws love Illuminations.

JanJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2013
Posts: 1672

I enjoy it, but I do find it long in the middle. I'm up for a change. awesome

wdwizbest's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/03/2017
Posts: 307

How old is illuminations anyway? It seems like it's been running since the '80's.

__________________

"leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." " Walt Disney "

Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4703

wdwizbest wrote:
How old is illuminations anyway? It seems like it's been running since the '80's.

Good question! That got me curious so I Googled it:

It premiered on October 1, 1999 as IllumiNations 2000: Reflections of Earth as part of the Walt Disney World Millennium Celebration; it was so successful that after the celebration ended the 2000 was dropped from the name and the show was continued.

I had no idea.

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2772

I like Illuminations but I wouldn't mind a new show.

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6712

I like it but don't see it often. I take the opportunity to beat the mad rush out of the park. I wouldn't mind seeing something new.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9472

Allie wrote:
MrHub wrote:
Allie wrote:
It's time, y'all. Never been one of my favorites. We're doing an Illuminations Cruise in October and it will be a good send off. laugh

Have you ever done the illuminations cruise before Allie?

Nope, never have! We're surprising my mother-in-law with it on her birthday and we're excited! The in-laws love Illuminations.

We have done it several times, we liked the Wishes Cruise much better, but you will enjoy it. Take a bag with you ( like a large shopping bag) because they supply sodas, water and snacks and they want you to take as much as you can when you are done. You cannot take your own drinks, at least that is how it was when we went on the firework cruises last. I think we are due for another one!

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5477

MrHub wrote:
Allie wrote:
MrHub wrote:
Allie wrote:
It's time, y'all. Never been one of my favorites. We're doing an Illuminations Cruise in October and it will be a good send off. laugh

Have you ever done the illuminations cruise before Allie?

Nope, never have! We're surprising my mother-in-law with it on her birthday and we're excited! The in-laws love Illuminations.

We have done it several times, we liked the Wishes Cruise much better, but you will enjoy it. Take a bag with you ( like a large shopping bag) because they supply sodas, water and snacks and they want you to take as much as you can when you are done. You cannot take your own drinks, at least that is how it was when we went on the firework cruises last. I think we are due for another one!

Good to know! We considered the Happily Ever After Cruise since we're staying at Contemporary, but they've never seen Happily Ever After before and I thought it was more important for them to have a good view of the projections at least the first time.

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23350

I like Illuminations well enough, but it has never been my favorite. I think that it is more than due for an update and I really hope we get something truly spectacular to replace it.

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9472

This is what your route will be. You will park right at the edge of the Bridge from International Gateway to France.

Word of warning: Do not wear white. Depending on what way the wind is blowing and if the smoke hangs low, you could get covered with fireworks debris and ash! happened to us twice and that was just walking over the bridge once and another was on a cruise.

PreviewAttachmentSize
illumination_cruise_route.jpg
illumination_cruise_route.jpg426.55 KB
fireworks_stop.jpg
fireworks_stop.jpg31.86 KB
wdwizbest's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/03/2017
Posts: 307

I wonder if they will have something new for the 50th anniversary?

__________________

"leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." " Walt Disney "

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5477

MrHub wrote:
This is what your route will be. You will park right at the edge of the Bridge from International Gateway to France.

Word of warning: Do not wear white. Depending on what way the wind is blowing and if the smoke hangs low, you could get covered with fireworks debris and ash! happened to us twice and that was just walking over the bridge once and another was on a cruise.

All great information! Thank you thank you!