10 Tips For Going Solo at Walt Disney World

Today, nearly half of the United States Population is single, and that means that the solo traveler has become just as important to the hospitality industry as families. People are out traveling on their own more than ever, and the Walt Disney World Resort is a fantastic place to get away for some serious "me time." Solo travelers enjoy the luxury of following their own schedule and vacations designed entirely around their own interests. If you've been considering a solo trip, but just aren't sure you'd enjoy it, consider these 10 tips for making the most of a solo vacation to Walt Disney World.

10 Tips for Solo Travel10 Tips for Solo Travel

1) Stay at a Walt Disney World Resort Property - Book your room right in the middle of the action to completely immerse yourself in Disney. Make use of the Disney Transportation system including Disney's Magical Express to save money and stay safe getting from point A to point B.

2) Eat at the counter, bar, or pick restaurants with group dining - Disney restaurants with bars or counter seating is a great option for solo travelers. They offer a chance to meet other people, interact more with the cast members, or just simply get a great view of what's happening in the kitchen. The Tune-In Lounge, California Grill, Jiko, Teppan Edo, and Germany's Biergarten are some of our favorite choices.

3) Chat up the Cast Members - The people that work at Walt Disney World have some of the most interesting stories. Take a few minutes to stop and talk to the cast members who come from all over the world to work at the vacation kingdom. You might even find someone from your home town.

Engage Cast Members In ConversationEngage Cast Members In Conversation

4) Take a Guided Tour or two - Walt Disney World offers a great selection of specialty behind the scenes tours and themed adventures. Enjoy a few hours of group discovery on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour, or maybe even the Wild Africa Trek. Since you'll be on your own you can always return to those spots you saw later on for deeper Discover.

5) Indulge in some of your favorite things - enjoy some pampering one of the Senses spas, or your favorite sporting activities like golf, fishing, bicycling, parasailing, or horseback riding. It's your trip, so you can do what you want.

6) Linger longer to take great photos - Disney Parks and Resorts offer some truly intriguing photo opportunities, but great pictures take time to set up. When traveling solo you'll be able to create beautiful photo stories without holding the rest of your group back.

Take Time To Set Up The Perfect ShotTake Time To Set Up The Perfect Shot

7) Bring a book or journal - When you sit down and take a break in the midday heat, pull out a book to journal your trip. There's no better time to record your thoughts about your travels then when you're first having them. With a small travel journal to jot down your thoughts, you can create a keepsake that you will enjoy for years to come.

8) Revel in your selfishness - Sleep in if you want, or get up with the sun, any way you want to spend the day is ideal when traveling solo. Enjoy spoiling yourself a little, order up some sinful desserts or splurge on a fabulous souvenir. You deserve it!

9) Embrace Technology - If you know that your home is secure, share your travels online with friends and family via social media. While it's not a good idea to broadcast that you're gone if your home sits empty, travelers who have made housesitting arrangements should take advantage of sharing the fun.

Work On A Creative Travel JournalWork On A Creative Travel Journal

10) Don't be afraid to meet up with other travelers - Many online groups and message boards in the Disney community arrange meet-ups for their members. It gives folks who are traveling at the same time a chance to meet the real people behind familiar screen names. Check out the WDWFG Member Forums to see what part of our crew will be in town at the same time as you are.

* Bonus Tip - If you prefer staying in at night, think about booking a room with a theme park view. Deluxe resorts such as Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Polynesian Resort, and Disney's Grand Floridian Resort offer rooms with Magic Kingdom views. Guests can turn on the TV to pipe in the soundtrack for the show and watch Wishes from the hotel balcony.

Have you done Disney solo? Share your story in the comments and encourage you're fellow Disney fans to get traveling!

oHIo wrote on Wed, 06/29/2016 - 14:09:

oHIo's picture

Number three - Chat up Cast Members is a great idea whether you are going solo or with family and friends. On my last trip the hair stylist at Grand Flordian who created a beautiful wrap around braid for my granddaughter grew up in the same SE Michigan town where I grew up. We attended the same junior high school (many years apart) and she was even familiar with the vending company that my father owned.

Another time at the California Grill when my DH and I did not have an ADR we sat at the counter and started chatting with the bartender, only to discover that he had visited his uncle who lived in Findlay and was very familiar with the local ice cream and home made candy shop!

Melanie wrote on Wed, 06/29/2016 - 18:14:

Melanie 's picture

I love going solo at times! This way I can race around on my scooter to go from point A to point B without having to slow down for my family to get to my rides. (Of course not running anyone over on my way)

Steven wrote on Thu, 06/30/2016 - 01:00:

Steven's picture

I arrived at WDW a couple of days before my wife this year because I was in town for a convention. It was the best time I think I have ever had! Don't get me wrong, I love my wife, but it was so nice not having to discuss - - or argue about - - what to do next, where to eat, how to get to Kilimanjaro Safari, etc. I happily stood in line to get character pics. I ate terribly and loved every minute of doing so. I could stop, enjoy a beer and people watch. It was magical! Even if you love your family, you will not belive how much you will enjoy some solo time!

Earl wrote on Thu, 06/30/2016 - 11:46:

Earl's picture

Did they get rid of "single rider lines" for the hottest attractions? That should be the #1 tip for solo travelers!

Blair wrote on Thu, 06/30/2016 - 15:00:

Blair's picture

Take the time to explore all the nooks and crannies on Main Street in Magic Kingdom and World Showcase in Epcot. Lots of details that you would miss when traveling with others.

Kristen K. wrote on Thu, 06/30/2016 - 15:50:

Great advice everyone! Thanks so much for sharing.

joanne torchia wrote on Thu, 06/30/2016 - 18:30:

joanne torchia's picture

I have been going solo at Disney for over3 years, close to 4 time per year. Since I don't have my grown nephew with me anymore, I find that staying OFF site at a Disney Springs hotel suits me just fine. It has practically all the same amenities as an on site hotel and there are not so many screaming kiddies. I do not get any dining plans because of my food allergy and the frequency in which I have to eat. Although I love the Pop Century Resort, I now prefer Disney Springs Hotels. I do the parks by day and DS by night. The best of both worlds. Solo is the best way to do Disney!

C Pearce wrote on Thu, 06/30/2016 - 22:48:

C Pearce's picture

I go solo all the time and love it. I can come and go as I like. Have met great people and love the tours.

MrHub wrote on Fri, 07/01/2016 - 12:56:

MrHub's picture

Dorothy is wonderful! The best at Cap May Cafe.

Lisa wrote on Sun, 07/03/2016 - 02:42:

Lisa's picture

Just returned from a business trip where I built in a full solo day. It was so fun. Started with epcot then did boardwalk, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios to catch things I missed on my family trips over the years. Spent 12 hours exploring and didn't even get to everything I wanted. Next time!

Georgette wrote on Fri, 06/11/2021 - 08:08: