Epcot's Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corps

UPDATE 8/29/2014: As of September 27th, 2014 the Fife & Drum Corp will no longer be performing at Epcot. You can find more information HERE.

The revolutionary spirit of is alive and well in Epcot's American Adventure Pavilion. Throughout the day, the Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corps puts on a patriotic display that celebrates the military men of the colonial-era and evokes America's fight for freedom with it's marching music and military formations.

Spirit of America Fife & Drum CorpsSpirit of America Fife & Drum Corps
Their distinctive drumming has been putting on a rousingly patriotic performance that salutes America's musical heritage since the opening of Epcot. The Corps entertains passers by with their stirring renditions of "Grand Old Flag", "God Bless America", and many other military classics that are accompanied by poses to stir the memories of classic American works of art as well as entertain.

Detail of Spirit of America Rope Tension DrumDetail of Spirit of America Rope Tension Drum
In the 18th century, fifers and drummers tended to be boys ages 10 to 18, however those in Epcot's Corp seem to be considerably more experienced. The unit has two drummers playing rope-tension drums with stylized art of the period adorning the sides, two fifers and a drum major that bears the American flag as well as sings. The Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corps brings to life the exciting sounds of the continental army. Watch this fantastic video by Dave (aka skirack9).

"Actually, if you could see close in my eyes, the American flag is waving in both of them and up my spine is growing this red, white, and blue stripe,"
~ Walt Disney

If you want to catch the Fife & Drum Corps performance on your next visit to Epcot be sure to check the Times Guide. It's a short show but worth the effort to make it to the pavilion during the performance.

Do you stop and listen to the Spirit of America when you're in Epcot? Leave me a comment below and tell me what your favorite patriotic tune is!

Brandmaster wrote on Thu, 11/03/2011 - 21:50:

Brandmaster's picture

I love these guys!

Kristen K. wrote on Mon, 11/07/2011 - 14:12:

I do too! I wish that they had something like this in Liberty Square at the MK too. It seems to me that when I was younger Liberty Square seemed to focus more on the colonial than it does now.

JoAnn C wrote on Mon, 11/07/2011 - 23:43:

JoAnn C's picture

I enjoyed watching them last year. I hope to see them again this year.

michael rivero wrote on Wed, 04/25/2012 - 03:40:

michael rivero's picture

there was a fife and drum corp at Liberty Square in Magic Kingdom (The Sons of Liberty), prior to the arrival of Epcot.

Beverly wrote on Tue, 05/27/2014 - 15:50:

Beverly's picture

On our very first trip to the Magic Kingdom in 1972, my brother and I (then 8 and 10) were invited to "lead" the parade. I wore a mob cap and my brother got to wear the tricorn. At the end of the parade, we were each given a replica of the Declaration of Independence. I hadn't thought of that day for a long time until 2012 when I saw the Fife and Drum Corp at EPCOT. That's one of the things I love about Disney--keeping memories alive!

Kerry wrote on Sun, 08/31/2014 - 16:56:

Kerry's picture

Patriotism is dying slowly in this country.....keep it alive with the Fife and Drum Corp!!! Keeping the heartbeat alive, memories of what this country fought for!! Each time I have been there, people stop to pay respect. The final song of God Bless America, catches in ones throat but singers or not, people take a good shot at it. I will hate to see it go :(

Eric T. wrote on Tue, 09/16/2014 - 16:04:

Eric T.'s picture

This is a very short-sighted decision on Disney's part. I personally make it a point to catch the Fife and Drum Corps. when I take the family to Disney and we actually have, (had), plans to take family members visiting from the Philippines to Disney this fall and we were looking forward to our nieces and nephews experiencing the Corps and the wonder of true Americana. In light of this terrible news, we are now making plans to go somewhere else instead. We're thinking Williamsburg, Va. There's a Busch Gardens nearby that has a great tradition of respecting America. Goodbye, Disney. We get the message. We know when we're not included.

Dan & Diane wrote on Sun, 09/28/2014 - 23:13:

Dan & Diane's picture

My wife and myself, have been annual pass holders for over 19 years.. We make it a point to come to Epcot at least 20-30 days throughout the year.. One of our great pleasures is to visit the "Fife and Drum" at the American Adventure.. Much to our disappointment were told the "Fife and Drum" is scheduled to be discontinued..
The Fife has been always been and always will be an important part of our American History and Walt Disney being an example of the American experience should not discontinue continue a wonderful example of what it means to be an American