Walt Disney World Strives to Maintain Walt's Tradition of Environmental Stweardship

Walt Disney believed in careful stewardship of the land so that it would be a source of beauty and wonder for generations to come. A mere six weeks before his death, Walt Disney received an award from the American Forestry Association "for outstanding service in conservation of American resources". His tireless efforts on behalf of the natural world are honored today by the company that he founded by making ground breaking strides in caring for and protecting our natural resources while sustaining the ability to share them with the nation.

Walt Disney Was The Company's First ConservationistWalt Disney Was The Company's First Conservationist

You've probably heard people talk about conservation. Well, conservation isn't just the business of a few people. It's a matter that concerns all of us. It's a science whose principles are written in the oldest code in the world, the laws of nature. The natural resources of our vast continent are not inexhaustible. But if we will use our riches wisely, if we will protect our wildlife and preserve our lakes and streams, these things will last us for generations to come. ~Walt Disney

Below are just a few of the efforts made by the Walt Disney Company that help to reduce the impact that this major, modern tourist destination has on the planet.

  • One third of Walt Disney World's 40 square miles, has been set aside as a dedicated wildlife conservation area.
  • Walt Disney World Resort maintains the state's Green Lodging designation for all 24 resort hotels " that represents the largest number of Green Lodging-certified hotels in the state.
  • Recycling is a big part of waste management at Walt Disney World Resort with more than 92,000 tons of materials were recycled yearly.
  • In 2010 Disney Parks and Resorts began using merchandise bags containing 100% post-consumer materials.
  • Disney Harvest reduces food waste by gathering excess prepared food from Walt Disney World Resort kitchens and distributing it through the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida.
  • The Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund (DWCF) supports scientific research and habitat protection through annual awards for the study and protection of the world's wildlife and ecosystems.
  • Disney's Animal Kingdom is involved in many AZA "Species Survival Plans" " cooperative breeding and management groups for critical species " and has successfully reproduced many endangered animals, including African elephants, black rhinos, okapi, gorillas and many rare birds.
  • LED fixtures are used in 98 percent of the signs, decorations and Christmas trees at Walt Disney World Resort. The other 2 percent is in the process of being converted.
  • An EPA "Energy Star Partner," Walt Disney World Resort installed energy-saving fixtures and other changes throughout the property. During an update at The Hall of Presidents, Cast Members replaced theatrical lighting with more efficient and longer-lasting LED fixtures.
  • Even Cinderella Castle glows "green" during the holidays with more than 170,000 LED white lights to glisten the Castle, using the equivalent energy of only 12 microwave ovens.

Jiminy Cricket Celebrates EnvironmentalityJiminy Cricket Celebrates Environmentality
Do you take Disney's Environmentality into consideration when you travel? Is it important to you that a Company you support gives back in these ways? Does it make a difference when you chose where to stay? Leave me a comment below and let me know which steps Disney takes to do it's part that means the most to you?


Lori wrote on Sun, 03/25/2012 - 12:48:

Lori's picture

Reading things like this makes me feel good and even better about my favorite place in the world to be!

Kristen K. wrote on Mon, 03/26/2012 - 12:26:

Kristen K.'s picture

I couldn't agree more Lori, and that list is only the tip of the iceburg when it comes to environmental responsible programs. The Walt Disney Company goes to GREAT lengths in all divisions of the company to make changes and improve environmenntality! One of my favorite things is that the trains at Disneyland actually run on biodiesel! If I remember correctly (though I could be wrong) the deisel is made from used oil from Disneyland's food services!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly. If you have a Gravatar account associated with the e-mail address you provide, it will be used to display your avatar.

More information about formatting options