2011 Resolutions - Getting Crafty

Login to post comments
13 posts / 0 new
2011 Resolutions - Getting Crafty

Lizzy started a threat a little bit back on 2011 resolutions, and one of mine was to do some crafty kinda things. Since I've been laid up for 6 weeks and not really able to do much, I decided to make good on that. Aside from setting up the spare bedroom in all-Mickey/Disney stuff, I completed the following crafts:

Disney-themed faceplate covers:

I just covered the boring ones with left-over scrapbook paper. Adds a fun touch to the room.

And I made a pillow:

Note that I have never hand-sewn anything in my life, and this is probably the last one I'll do. It was not easy. To anyone who does this regularly, I applaud you and have a whole new respect.

I also managed to finally frame the 2 1,000-piece Mickey puzzles Joe put together 5 years ago.

So I am considering this resolution accomplished! mickey

Vettelover's picture

I have just taken ALL the faceplate covers off in my home and I am mailing them out to you this afternoon. Just ship them back when they are finished. awesome Great job.

Lizzy_B's picture

These are fantastic! Wow - thank you so much for sharing. I'm really impressed - and challenged to get some crafty things done myself. I still haven't actually formulated my resolutions. At the time when most people have given them up, I'm just starting. Feb 1 is my start date, so this weekend is goal-setting time. I have vague notions of health-centered ones, but these crafts also inspire me to start working on handmade gifts for next Christmas. Thanks! clapping

bali's picture

Vettelover wrote:
I have just taken ALL the faceplate covers off in my home and I am mailing them out to you this afternoon. Just ship them back when they are finished. awesome Great job.

Wow, Vettelover -- you're FAST!

Great job, JeffC! I can't wait to see what's next!

May 2008 CSR mickey

caitiesus's picture

Those are AWESOME! I need to get crafty like that!

MrHub's picture

Vettelover wrote:

Ours will be in the mail on Monday. Great job Jeff!

dsoup's picture

Is there a kit for the faceplate covers or what? How'd you do that? Great job!

Annie's picture

These are so adorable. I can't decide which one I like best! Also, great job on the pillow. What's next? Should I be expecting a quilt next Christmas? awesome

Vettelover wrote:

If I didn't have to go back to work next week, I would do everyone's faceplates! silly Work stinks....

dsoup wrote:
Is there a kit for the faceplate covers or what? How'd you do that? Great job!

No kit, I just took a piece of scrapbook paper, cut it about an inch or so wider than the faceplate, and then taped it in place int he back. For one, I tried adhesive spray, which works ok but is still kinda tacky on the back. Then I sliced "X"s in the paper where the outlet and switch holes are, and taped them in as well.

Annie wrote:
These are so adorable. I can't decide which one I like best! Also, great job on the pillow. What's next? Should I be expecting a quilt next Christmas? awesome

Thanks Annie! Next? Well, I got a 3 yard piece of Mickey-ears cloth ribbon at Walmart for $2.00 and am going to make my own lanyard - it's the exact same width as the regular park lanyards, but the different pattern makes it unique. And cheaper than the usual $7 - $9 you have to pay. As for the quilt....um...well, let me get back to you on that eek

Bella's picture

Cute! I love those lightswitch covers..I am not sure if you did this or not but if you put a light layer of this stuff called ModPodge over the scrapbook paper it will keep it from wearing. I made some art for Holden's room using scrapbook paper and that stuff was my best friend!

mickey Bella

KristiA's picture

Bella - Modgepodge is the best!

Great idea with the plate covers, I may have to steal that.

WyckedPhoenix's picture

Awesome! The plate covers is such a creative idea.

*Jennifer Lynn* NDW #38

Check out my blog at Jennifer's Disney Adventures

Bella's picture

KristiA wrote:
Bella - Modgepodge is the best!

I love that stuff..I'd die without it.

mickey Bella