August 2010 Trip!

Login to post comments
56 posts / 0 new
ChipnDaleFan's picture
August 2010 Trip!

I'm leaving in 8 days, 12 hours, 12 minutes for my long awaited road trip! I figured I would give some pre-trip info and then post some pictures, park info, and of course FOOD updates here when I get back! I'm driving from NJ to Orlando with my boyfriend and we have many other side trips planned! Since this board seems to love, photos, vacations, and food, I figured I will not only review Disney but give you the full 411! Here's the itinerary:

July 31st- Driving from NJ to Raleigh, NC. Just spending the night here.

August 1st- Driving to Charleston and spending the day here with trolley and carriage tours and maybe a ghost tour at night! We will be grabbing some yummy food at Blossoms that night http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/ and are staying at the French Quarter Inn http://www.fqicharleston.com/

August 2nd & 3rd- We are making the trek from Charleston to Orlando but not into Disney sad Our first stop is Universal to experience TWWOHP!

August 4th- Disney! We check in at the POFQ and are headed to the MK. Dinner at DTD at Wolfgang Puck Cafe.

August 5th- Hitting up DHS with dinner at the Sci Fi and catching Fantasmic!

August 6th- AK, Spirit of Aloha Dinner Luau, Heading to Jelly Rolls afterwards hopefully!

August 7th- Epcot, Dinner at San Angel Inn, Illuminations, dessert in France (yummy crepes) since I don't like the San Angel desserts!

August 8th- Typhoon Lagoon in AM then back to MK. Dinner at Tony's and later Wishes Dessert Party.

August 9th- Last day in Disney sad Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare- Epcot with dinner at Le Cellier, back to DTD for some shopping and maybe drinks before we go.

August 10th & 11th- we leave Orlando and drive to Hilton Head! We'll be there two days to relax from all of our Disney walking. We are staying at the Westin Hilton Head. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1050

August 12th & 13th- Back to Raleigh for two days to spend time with friends there.

August 14th- Drive back to NJ with a lunch stopover in D.C. to see a friend.

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

dsoup's picture

This will be our first Wizarding World report, you must give us scoop!

I'm so jealous you're leaving so soon. Have a great time!

Annie's picture

I am SO EXCITED to hear all about your trip and follow you through it! clapping

Your plans sound fantastic. I can't wait for the updates and pics. You guys are going to have a great time. Thank you for letting us be in on the planning.

I'm hoping for NO RAIN! laugh

milliehubbard's picture

OK...I'm in Raleigh, I might just have to stow away Smile)

Resorts

2017 AKL-Jambo House (May)
2017 Old Key West (Apr)
2016 Port Orleans Riverside (Oct)-Hurricane Matthew!!
2016 Old Key West (Aug)
2016 CBR (Jul)
2016 Art of Animation (May)
2015 Ft. Wilderness Campground (Oct)
2014 Sherwood Forest RV Park (Nov)
2013 Pop Century (Jul)
2012 Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress (Jul)
2011 Radisson Lake Buena Vista (Aug)
2010 Pop Century (Nov)
2009 PO Riverside (Jul)
2008 Pop Century (Apr)
2006-2007 FL residents: Hunters Creek 8 miles from the parks!!
2005 All Star Sports (Jul)
2005 PO Riverside/CBR/CSR (Apr)
mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

ChipnDaleFan's picture

milliehubbard wrote:
OK...I'm in Raleigh, I might just have to stow away Smile)

Plenty of room in the back!

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

SpaceAce's picture

Looks great, CNDF. DW and I are eager to see your updates and adventures when you're in the World. I really would love to hear about the wizarding world to see if we should move some days around on our October vacation to make it over there.

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

caitiesus's picture

Looks like a great trip- You will LOVE WWoHP. I have some friends who just got back and they gushed. Enjoy a Butterbeer for me!

dsoup's picture

The cool places you hit on the way there make driving seem more appealing.

You've been to Hilton Head before I assume?

ChipnDaleFan's picture

dsoup wrote:
The cool places you hit on the way there make driving seem more appealing.

You've been to Hilton Head before I assume?

I've actually never been there but my boyfriend has. My skin tone is equivilent to casper the ghost so I tend to avoid beaches, Also, I won't go in the ocean so this is a first beach trip for me! I usually daytrip to the boardwalk for food and games.

dsoup & spaceace- I'll make sure I take lots of HP pictures and let you know about crowds and lines. I'm sure Ill have plenty of time to jot notes down while I'm standing in lines.

Tony's picture

The press are reporting that WizWoHaPo is still pretty manic. Forbidden Journey had it's first major E-Stop yesterday and was down for a couple of hours while they cleared the ride (which was completely full) and reset the system. Good luck with the queues and I look forward to the report.

I can only please one person per day. Today isn't your day... tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Bella's picture

I grew up on Hilton Head! I love it there..whatever you do please please please eat at Giuseppi's Pizza and Pasta in Shelter Cove and order a weggie. Yum, yum, yum!!!!

I can't wait to hear about the Wizarding World of HP. I am dying to go but waiting until it dies down a little bit!

mickey Bella

Brad's picture

Very excited to see a report from HP! Also Hilton Head! awesome

ChipnDaleFan's picture

Trip just got better! Now we can participate in, "What are you celebrating?" We got engaged tonight! He was going to do it in Disney but the anxiety and waiting was killing him so he did it Disney style instead!

I got to his place and we love alice in wonderland and he had the coffee table all set up. He said it was a surprise since he had been away for work so much all summer and wanted me to be all excited for our two week roadtrip together. I loooooove cupackes. So he had one box that said, "eat me" like in the film and it had a red velvet cupcake, my fave, inside. The next was a glass of milk that of course like the film said, "drink me". So, I did! Last was a box that said, "open me". So I did and inside was...................Stitch! lol Yes, a Stitch doll since I love stitch and made him wear a stitch hat around for me before he even knew who stitch was. And while I marveled at stitch and pulled him out of the box, he was pulling out another box of his own! Of course, I said yes!

At first I really wanted it to be in Disney but retrospect, this was better. Now he won't be anxious on our trip, it won't be in front of thousands of strangers, and it was still disney themed so I can still Disney theme my wedding! lol. So very happy!

muchlove
Wow, what a great way to start your trip. Congratulations!!!

Vettelover's picture

congrats to the both of you, and wishing you two a great long life together and here's to lots of Pixie Dust to you.

LifeIsForLiving's picture

Outstanding! Very excited for you Jess. It's going to be a fun ride.

Annie's picture

Oh! Congratulations! How romantic! And now he can really enjoy the trip without stressing out the whole time! laugh

bighug

caitiesus's picture

How sweet!!! Congrats!!!!

Bella's picture

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!! What an excellent way to start a trip!

mickey Bella

ChipnDaleFan's picture

I leave in a few short hours! I may not be on and posting until I get back on the 15th but maybe I can score some internet access at some point. Who knows! I'll do my best to fill you in on wwohp, via napoli, and anything else I come across!

dsoup's picture

ChipnDaleFan wrote:
I leave in a few short hours! I may not be on and posting until I get back on the 15th but maybe I can score some internet access at some point. Who knows! I'll do my best to fill you in on wwohp, via napoli, and anything else I come across!

Take some good pictures and have a Mickey Premium bar for me!

bali's picture

ChipnDaleFan wrote:

Oh, have a wonderful time, Jess!!! It's been so much fun watching you plan for this! I'll pray for NO RAIN, no food poisoning, and NO roof falling in!!! eek laugh

May 2008 CSR mickey

Bella's picture

I will be here on the 15th anxiously awaiting the pictures from Harry Potter laugh I won't leave here until you come and post them..but please don't make me wait long because school starts the next day and my boss might get mad if I'm not there!

mickey Bella

Brad's picture

Have a blast Jess! I'm sure you will.

ChipnDaleFan's picture

I'm back! I got back on Saturday from our two week extravaganza, had my great unlces 95th bday yesterday and spent all day today checking out wedding venues and will do the same tomorrow. I still haven't slept and I'm exhausted! I will hoever find time to start up my trip report this week- I know we are all awaiting HP pictures mostly and I'll fill you in on the ups and downs of wwohp!

Brad's picture

ChipnDaleFan wrote:
I'm back! I got back on Saturday from our two week extravaganza, had my great unlces 95th bday yesterday and spent all day today checking out wedding venues and will do the same tomorrow. I still haven't slept and I'm exhausted! I will hoever find time to start up my trip report this week- I know we are all awaiting HP pictures mostly and I'll fill you in on the ups and downs of wwohp!

Welcome back! Can't wait to hear details!

ChipnDaleFan's picture

Day 1

We left NJ at about 6 AM the first morning. I started the car ride with my vacation ritual that I have had since I was a little kid road tripping to Disney. I would always play Steady As the Beating Drum from Pochahontas out loud in the car before anything else to get the roadtrip started. When I was a kid I thought the chanting was cool and that I was somehow paying homage to the highway gods for safe passage. lol. Now, it's just a tradition!

I was driving the first leg of the trip from NJ to DC. It's about a four hour drive without traffic. But, seriously, who gets through NJ without traffic?! I live ten mins. from NYC and it takes me 45 to an hour to get there. I anticipated the traffic when I started driving and then...it didn't come! The ride from NJ to DC took a swift 3.5 hours. I think the highway gods appreciated my tribute!

At this point we had about 4 hours left to our journey. Lou took over in DC and continued the smooth sailing. And then.....VIRGINIA. Before I begin here you should know that we both have a mutual hatred for this state (sorry!) because no matter what anyone says about NJ traffic, Virginia is the worst. We pretty much parked the car on 95 at this point and sat....and sat.....and rolled a little bit. VIRGINIA! We kept yelling this the whole trip. Luckily we had taken Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows out on book on tape from the Library and it was keeping us calm and focused.

While rolling by at the rapid speed of 2mph Lou found a Panera sign and we decided to exit. We hadn't planned on stopping to eat since our mothers had loaded the car with food in fear that we'd starve but we might as well sit in Panera instead of traffic. We loaded up on some yummy goodness before hopping back on 95. Still a dead stop. We used my GPS to re-route us but in true VIRGINIA fashion, the back roads had traffic as well.

All total it took us about 11 hours to reach Raleigh when it should have been 8. Thanks VIRGINIA.

Tomorrowâ¦.our stay in Charleston!

Annie's picture

Ha ha! So far, so funny! I'm so excited to start on the journey with you. Sorry about Virginia! Wink

LifeIsForLiving's picture

LOL, apparently we're not the only ones who love driving through Virginia. We lovingly refer to it as the State that Never Ends. Seems like driving through it always takes WAY longer than it should, even without traffic. It's like some sort of evil time vortex.

admin's picture

Great report so far! I can just see you guys jamming to Pocahontas. Laughing out loud

Looking forward to seeing what happens when you get out of Virginia!

PsychoAlice's picture

LifeIsForLiving wrote:
LOL, apparently we're not the only ones who love driving through Virginia. We lovingly refer to it as the State that Never Ends. Seems like driving through it always takes WAY longer than it should, even without traffic. It's like some sort of evil time vortex.

Try driving thru Utah...LOL no traffic but man I swear that state is 47 million miles across...