August 2010 Trip!

Login to post comments
56 posts / 0 new
milliehubbard's picture

We do the trip in reverse every year at Christmas, NC to Long Island. We've tried a variety of different routes and none are good. We've done 95 all the way, 95 to US 17 to the PA Turnpike, 15 to 81 to the PA Turnpike...doesn't matter - it's all BAD! We've just given up and figure that what should be a 9 hr drive will always take 14-15 hrs!

Two years ago we made good time until we got to the George Washington Bridge from NJ into NYC...a truck was stuck under an overpass on the Cross Bronx Xway and we spent over 2 hours ON THE BRIDGE!! The worst part was that the west bound lanes were free and clear and the trucks were flying which meant that the bridge was shaking like crazy...very unnerving! Not to mention that by this time our two furbabies had reached their limit in their doggie carseats! Add barking dogs to the mix...along with two very cranky adults...fun times!

The theme for that holiday became "Christmas in the Carolinas". We decided that we should get "promotional pencils" made and hand them out at Christmas dinner!!!

Resorts

2017 AKL-Jambo House (May)
2017 Old Key West (Apr)
2016 Port Orleans Riverside (Oct)-Hurricane Matthew!!
2016 Old Key West (Aug)
2016 CBR (Jul)
2016 Art of Animation (May)
2015 Ft. Wilderness Campground (Oct)
2014 Sherwood Forest RV Park (Nov)
2013 Pop Century (Jul)
2012 Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress (Jul)
2011 Radisson Lake Buena Vista (Aug)
2010 Pop Century (Nov)
2009 PO Riverside (Jul)
2008 Pop Century (Apr)
2006-2007 FL residents: Hunters Creek 8 miles from the parks!!
2005 All Star Sports (Jul)
2005 PO Riverside/CBR/CSR (Apr)
mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

Brad's picture

Millie:

Do you have any tips on traveling with pets? It sounds like you do it a lot.

ChipnDaleFan's picture

I just typed up a huge post, stupid me, not on word, and for some reason it didn't take. Ugh! I'll have to start again later. I'm sorry for the fragmented posts but we are visiting halls, family, and the church trying to organize everythign before school goes back in NJ for us, before my grad classes start up again, and before Lou's busy season with the Key Club he runs at his school begins! I'll retype the post and try again later!

Millie- That sounds AWFUL! We avoid that bridge at all costs around here!

LifeIsForLiving- Evil Time Vortex! I love it! I'm going to use that. It gets the point across but sound smuch nicer than the words we used!

On the way home I also re-named South Carolina. By then I was done with the car and getting into a new state is exciting because it feels like progress! However, SC into NC.....long, look the same, practically the same name. I got antsty, and grouchy and we now refer to SC as Palmetto because it makes me feel better and I felt like more progress was made when it had a different name. lol

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

Brad's picture

ChipnDaleFan wrote:
I just typed up a huge post, stupid me, not on word, and for some reason it didn't take. Ugh! I'll have to start again later. I'm sorry for the fragmented posts but we are visiting halls, family, and the church trying to organize everythign before school goes back in NJ for us, before my grad classes start up again, and before Lou's busy season with the Key Club he runs at his school begins! I'll retype the post and try again later!

LifeIsForLiving- Evil Time Vortex! I love it! I'm going to use that. It gets the point across but sound smuch nicer than the words we used!

On the way home I also re-named South Carolina. By then I was done with the car and getting into a new state is exciting because it feels like progress! However, SC into NC.....long, look the same, practically the same name. I got antsty, and grouchy and we now refer to SC as Palmetto because it makes me feel better and I felt like more progress was made when it had a different name. lol

Ack! Hope it wasn't the forum's fault! Look forward to hearing your report.

milliehubbard's picture

Brad wrote:
Millie:

Do you have any tips on traveling with pets? It sounds like you do it a lot.

Not really, other than to try and stop every couple of hours so they can take care of "business" and stretch their little legs laugh

We have two small dogs, a chihuahua and a mini doxie and they both have car seats in the backseat that they get harnessed into. If the airbags ever went off with them in our laps it would probably kill them...hence the car seats.

They really have gotten to like their carseats, they are raised up so they can see out the windows, the seats are cushy, with sheepskin liners and they each have their own "blankie". Come to think of it I wouldn't mind curling up in there myself!!

We also pack water and treats and try to feed them at their normal time...really it seems a lot like traveling with young children. Try and maintain their schedule as much as possible and keep them entertained laugh

I think the more you expose them to riding in the car locally, the less stressful the longer trips become.

Resorts

2017 AKL-Jambo House (May)
2017 Old Key West (Apr)
2016 Port Orleans Riverside (Oct)-Hurricane Matthew!!
2016 Old Key West (Aug)
2016 CBR (Jul)
2016 Art of Animation (May)
2015 Ft. Wilderness Campground (Oct)
2014 Sherwood Forest RV Park (Nov)
2013 Pop Century (Jul)
2012 Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress (Jul)
2011 Radisson Lake Buena Vista (Aug)
2010 Pop Century (Nov)
2009 PO Riverside (Jul)
2008 Pop Century (Apr)
2006-2007 FL residents: Hunters Creek 8 miles from the parks!!
2005 All Star Sports (Jul)
2005 PO Riverside/CBR/CSR (Apr)
mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

admin's picture

milliehubbard wrote:

Two years ago we made good time until we got to the George Washington Bridge from NJ into NYC...a truck was stuck under an overpass on the Cross Bronx Xway and we spent over 2 hours ON THE BRIDGE!! The worst part was that the west bound lanes were free and clear and the trucks were flying which meant that the bridge was shaking like crazy...very unnerving!

I hate getting stuck on the bridges around the greater NYC area. No matter where you're going, there are bridges involved and there is ALWAYS traffic on them. waiting

ChipnDaleFan's picture

With school getting ready to start and wedding plans getting a bit hectic to try and accomplish lots before school, I've opted not to re-type up my deleted post. It was just my short, nostalgic stop at South of the Border.

Charleston!
I had never done much in the south before besides drive through it. Lou went to college at NC state and developed a love for its charm, architecture, and of courseâ¦..food. He wanted me to see Charleston very badly. He said it was beautiful, magical, and he knew I would love it. I replied, fine, weâll go. But itâs not as magical as Disney World.
We left Raleigh fairly early to get to Charleston early enough to have the whole day ahead of us. A light rain had come through before we arrived leaving the air sweet smelling and slightly stuffy. The temperature was not as bad as I expected at this point.
We checked into the French Quarter Inn. It was GORGEOUS! I had never stayed somewhere so elegant in my life! The people at the desk were so kind and helpful. They explained that they had continental breakfast in the morning, served wine and cheese in the lobby at 5, and served cookies and milk around 8-10 before bed. Well, hello Charleston- I love you already.

After checking into the room, which was very nice, we went out and hit the street exploring. Our first stop was the street market which was full of neat vendors showcases their handmade pieces. I purchased some colored pencils carved by hand and looking like twigs for my classroom. We walked through looking at hand woven baskets, colorful tapestries and painting, hand carved wooden boxes, and all sort of assortments of thing.
After about an hour or so Lou began to get hungryâ¦.and hungry is usually followed by unhappy. We put shopping in hold and went over to A.W. Shucks to get some eats. We were seated outside which was not prime. It was sooo hot and humid by this point. Iâm from NJâ¦this summer was hot here and unbearable but our weather is nothing like this. Even in Disney the humidity cannot compare to Charleston. I was soo sticky. Thank goodness we had a fan over our table! Lou ordered a shrimp sandwich and I had a good old turkey wrap with cucumber dressing. Mine was so fantastic (I thinkâ¦or maybe I was just starving) and Lou liked his sandwich, too.

Full and content, we decided to walk over and see if we could take a carriage ride which details the history of Charleston for you and lets you see the beautiful sites without having to walk too much. We figured we would be doing plenty of that in Disney.

Our carriage ride was very fun! As you ride you hear history, take pictures, and our driver, Jackson, was quite the comedian as well. He told us how JFK worked and lived there, the prices and architecture styles of homes, about battles, cannon fire, and churches. He noted that the shutters on building with hearts on them signified that men could go there for a good time with women and shutters with moons signified a place women and men could go. The ride was about an hour and very fun.
After the carriage ride, Louâs cold was bothering him we walked blocks and blocks to a CVS to find some medicine. We then opted to go back to the room and shower before dinner. We showered and made it in time to have some yummy wine and cheese at the hotel. We then walked around and explored a bit before dinner.

Dinner was at a place called Blossom. We had looked at the menu online before going because Iâm very picky. I donât eat anything from the sea, not much into beef, and eat almost all chickens. When we are seated and handed menus, Iâm shocked. Itâs all seafood and one steak. We asked the waiter about the online menu and he said they just changed a week ago. Boo. Lou had been so excited about the seafood here. He wanted to leave and go somewhere else but how could I deny him his seafood fix. I said not to worry Iâd eat the steak. After hearing this the waiter feels bad and brings us a complimentary appetizerâ¦..scallops. Apparently, he was only half paying attention to us.
Lou loved the scallops. I dipped bread in the sauce which was a lemony garlic mix. Very tasty. For dinner I had a steak with some creamy mashed potatoes. I was a steak â¦but still very good. Lou had grilled mahi mahi and absolutely loved it. He cleared his plate! We had a nice wine to go with dinner and it was the first truly relaxing part of our trip.

After dinner he brought out the dessert menu. I had been waiting months for their gingerbread cheesecake. Oh well, they changed the dessert menu, too. There was nothing on the menu I was really into for dessert and Lou was full anyway. We decided to head back to the hotel for cookies and milk instead. The cookiesâ¦..were amazing.

If you are heading to Charleston, definitely stay at the French Quarter Inn!
*We were going to do a ghost tour that night but with a 5 am wake-up call we opted out. Itâ something to look forward to next time.

I'll post some pics I took on the carriage ride, also.

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

ChipnDaleFan's picture

I just posted a bunch of webshots on here. They either come out tiny or not at all. So....if you would like to see any of my photos of the French Quarer Inn, Charleston, or food here is a link to my webshots page.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/578397044ofQaBd

admin's picture

Awesome report on Charleston! So, do you think Charleston is as magical as Disney? You didn't tell us how you felt about it in the end!

The restaurants look amazing! Thank you so much for sharing the food pics -- I love them!

And the hotel seems absolutely gorgeous. Looks like a prime spot as far as walking distance to everything, too!

Can't wait to read more! Thanks for posting!

ChipnDaleFan's picture

admin wrote:
Awesome report on Charleston! So, do you think Charleston is as magical as Disney? You didn't tell us how you felt about it in the end!

The restaurants look amazing! Thank you so much for sharing the food pics -- I love them!

And the hotel seems absolutely gorgeous. Looks like a prime spot as far as walking distance to everything, too!

Can't wait to read more! Thanks for posting!

Definitely not as magical but definitely somewhere I plan on going back. The hotel was magical! Cookies and milk?! Wine and Cheese?! And wait until I show you the breakfast spread. A+ for the French Quarter Inn. Charleston is truly a beautiful place and we met such kind people while there. I can't wait to go back...on my way to Disney. hehe

dsoup's picture

That shrimp sandwich looks awesome! Can I have a bite?

Great pictures!

Brad's picture

The Inn looks fantastic. Did you take a lot of pictures?

ChipnDaleFan's picture

Brad wrote:
The Inn looks fantastic. Did you take a lot of pictures?

I did! There are some outside photos and room photos on that webshots link.

bali's picture

Cookies and milk sold me! That looks like a great spread, too -- not just your standard store-bought cookies or "just one per guest." What the heck is that about when hotels do that??

Love the report so far! Nice of you to let the BF get seafood Smile The hotel looks gorgeous, too; I've never really stayed in Charleston, but I'll be looking for that if I do. Is everything within walking distance or did you have to use the car?

May 2008 CSR mickey

ChipnDaleFan's picture

bali wrote:
Cookies and milk sold me! That looks like a great spread, too -- not just your standard store-bought cookies or "just one per guest." What the heck is that about when hotels do that??

Love the report so far! Nice of you to let the BF get seafood Smile The hotel looks gorgeous, too; I've never really stayed in Charleston, but I'll be looking for that if I do. Is everything within walking distance or did you have to use the car?

Everything- the market, carriage rides, food, colorfu historic streets were wlaking distance. We didn;t use the car at all. It was a great plaace to stay.

Bella's picture

Ohh Virginia..blah. My BFF lives in Virginia..she lives about 4 hours fro me but it always seem to take 6 hours no matter what.

mickey Bella

Bella's picture

ChipnDaleFan wrote:

Well it is the Palmetto State laugh
I am glad you loved Charleston..it is SUCH a beautiful town!!
Did you make it to Hilton Head?? That's my hometown..and I love it there & I love to see what other people make of it!

mickey Bella

ChipnDaleFan's picture

Bella wrote:
ChipnDaleFan wrote:

Did you make it to Hilton Head?? That's my hometown..and I love it there & I love to see what other people make of it!

We did get to Hilton Head after Universal and Disney. We were there for two days getting some relaxation in.

SpaceAce's picture

Great report so far! Really fun to look at the pics. Looking forward to more.

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

LifeIsForLiving's picture

Bella wrote:
ChipnDaleFan wrote:

I often remark on how much South Carolinians (?) seem to love it there. Anyone notice how often you see their state symbol (palmetto and crescent) stickers on cars ALL OVER THE PLACE? I seem them all the time here, I saw them all the time in TN, and I frequently see them while on vacation elsewhere. If you haven't noticed, now that I mentioned it I bet you will biggrin

Annie's picture

Haven't ever seen that, LIFL -- at least haven't NOTICED it Smile

LifeIsForLiving's picture

I don't remember ever seeing it before I knew what the heck it was. I do regularly now. The stickers are most often white and in the back window of the vehicle. Now and then I see the decorative front license plates too.

edit: Sorry for the diversion. Looking forward to more of the TR from Jess.

ChipnDaleFan's picture

LifeIsForLiving wrote:
I don't remember ever seeing it before I knew what the heck it was. I do regularly now. The stickers are most often white and in the back window of the vehicle. Now and then I see the decorative front license plates too.

[/quote

Diversions are fun. Anyway, I haven't been having much TR luck.....I typed up my whole WWoHP report, photos, and review, hit submit and was taken back to a black box to type in again. This happened twice now. I'll probably link some HP pictures soon and a brief review. Setting up the classroom has been taking up my whole week.

admin's picture

ChipnDaleFan wrote:
LifeIsForLiving wrote:

[/quote

Diversions are fun. Anyway, I haven't been having much TR luck.....I typed up my whole WWoHP report, photos, and review, hit submit and was taken back to a black box to type in again. This happened twice now. I'll probably link some HP pictures soon and a brief review. Setting up the classroom has been taking up my whole week.

Sorry about the issues, Jess! Our server was inexplicably down yesterday for a bit sad We're moving the site to a new platform, which I'm sure will help cut down on the finicky forum problems, but that's still a few weeks out. For now, maybe cutting and pasting from Word is the way to go.

Bella's picture

LifeIsForLiving wrote:

Ahem..I have one on my license plate AND my rear window thankyouverymuch. laugh

You are right though..South Carolinians fiercely love South Carolina. Perhaps it's because usually when you hear about South Carolina you hear about stupid things that our (ahem..) elected officials are saying. laugh laugh We have a gorgeous state! To me there is no where else I'd rather be!

mickey Bella