Avatar Sequel May Not Make Its 2015 Release Date. Will This Mess With Avatar Land?

Login to post comments
5 posts / 0 new
Mase's picture
Avatar Sequel May Not Make Its 2015 Release Date. Will This Mess With Avatar Land?

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/4/4/avatar-2-production-update-2014-release-date-is-not-likely.html

Quote:
20th Century Fox was hoping to get James Cameron's Avatar sequel released in theaters in December of 2014. According to the films producer Jon Landau that might not happen. He recently did an interview with Empire in which he said,

Quote:
We're not naming dates, but I think 2014 will be a tough date for us to make. It's about getting it right. Movies make release dates; release dates don't make movies.

It doesn't sound like we'll get to travel back to the world of Pandora until 2015 at the earliest, maybe even 2016. He goes on to reveal that the movie is currently in development, and reveals what their team is working on,

Quote:
We've started already. WETA are already working and we have our core team, (animation supervisor) Richie Baneham and (digital effects supervisor) Nolan Murtha, working with us. And we're working on underwater performance-capture.

Underwater performance capture!? We'll that sounds like something new, and should be an interesting part of the production to develop.

Quote:
It's going to be like the Floating Mountains in the first movie. It's not going to be all underwater; it's going to be a place we go to, leave and come back to.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of designs we'll end up seeing for this underwater environment. Will we see an kind of underwater military vessels or mech suits? I'm looking forward to seeing what Cameron has planned for this sequel even though we've got a hell of a long time to wait before anything is released.

Read this from a couple of sites today, and with the semi-knowledge we have on Avatar Land (Or whatever it may be called and the knowledge we have isnt much...) I figured this is worth posting. One thing I know for a fact is they are filming both the second and third sequels back to back ala-Lord of the Rings style. So if the first of the sequels isnt ready in 2014, which means probably 2015... 2015 is the year we have been discussing that the Land will come out. So rather than it debuting for the last movie... looks like it could be debuting for the first sequel? Thoughts?

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Brad's picture

It's interesting because a bunch of the WDW stuff makes use of the relevant characters (like updating PotC when new movies come out). That being said I bet they know which characters and stuff they want to use, so they'll probably include them even if the movies aren't quite ready. Although that could be a bit of a spoiler.

Mase's picture

Brad wrote:
It's interesting because a bunch of the WDW stuff makes use of the relevant characters (like updating PotC when new movies come out). That being said I bet they know which characters and stuff they want to use, so they'll probably include them even if the movies aren't quite ready. Although that could be a bit of a spoiler.

Exactly... its interesting to note how much this COULD effect Avatar Land. With a date not "officially" announced for the Land though... it could EASILY be pushed back.

The other thing that this can be compared to is the Harry Potter park. That came out before all were done. So maybe they will be going on a theme like that?

- 2013 Trip Report!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Kristen K.'s picture

I had heard the other day that the next Avatar movie is going to be largely water based. Now, I'm not sure how true that is, but I found it interesting. Will Avatarland end up bringing us more water rides? An aquarium like area similar to Epcot? If a movie is largely based under water, how does that play into a land based park?

Mase's picture

Good question? Maybe it wont? Or Disney has something in mind for something like it... dont know. But I am now finding all of this interesting. I may have to watch Avatar again just to think on the ideas of what they may have for rides and such. I already think a roller coaster of riding one of those winged things is in the works... if not... then they are missing out.

- 2013 Trip Report!