Brad's March 2012 Disney World Trip

Login to post comments
41 posts / 0 new
Brad's picture
Brad's March 2012 Disney World Trip

Well my trip has once again sneaked up on me again. In 12 hours I will be on a plane en-route to Disney World. Hopefully I can keep up with my trip report this time! Given that it's Spring Break time I will probably spend a lot of time in the room and may have more time than usual for reporting (but less to report).

Mase's picture

Wow... this is un-expected. Didnt realize you were heading! lol

Cant wait to hear everything! Take out some spring breakers!

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Well have fun! I hope you enjoy a wonderful trip.

yay clapping yeah yeah clapping yay

Have a fun trip!

JoAnn C's picture

Have a great trip

yay yay
Have fun, can not wait to see what you two think of the Poly.

Brad's picture

Thanks everyone!

scrappy wrote:
yay yay
Have fun, can not wait to see what you two think of the Poly.

I'm a little bummed that I hear the Monorail isn't working. First time at the Poly and no Monorail?!?!

Kris1971's picture

Have fun and be safe! yay yay yay

Melissa W's picture

12 hours! Wahoo! Can't wait to hear about it!

MrHub's picture

Have Fun Brad! Will be waiting to hear how you like it.

evilduckqueen's picture

Woohoo!

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Vettelover's picture

Have a great time Brad and try to report back often. By the way have fun at the exotic car experience, and have you decided what car you are going to use?

emmaanne's picture

Hope you have a great trip!!!

November 14-18, 2019 | All Star Movies

March 2-10, 2012 | Pop | Trip Report - http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/ems-long-awaited-trip-report

Bella's picture

Have an awesome time!

What's up with the monorail?? If the monorail is in refurb for a time that you are there I wonder--do they offer room discounts??

mickey Bella

Jess's picture

Hope you have a great time and can't wait to hear all about it Smile

Brad's picture

clapping clapping We're Here! clapping clapping

Well actually we've been here for quite a while, but I'm finally getting time to post. Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Day 1
Trip was pretty uneventful. Slept like a log the whole fight here. Once we got here my work had gone nuts and there was all kinds of problems, but they were resolved before we got to Port Orleans. Once we got here our room was ready immediately, which I wasn't expecting since it's spring break. Check out this thread for pictures of the rooms:

http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/port-orleans-french-quarter-refurbed-room-pictures

Here's some discussion of our "Garden View:"

http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/port-orleans-french-quarter-garden-view

Quick note on the weather: It's great!
Crowds: Less than great, although not as bad as I expected given the spring break situation.

I have to say I really like French Quarter. I think the style fits very well with a moderate Disney resort. I think this might be my new recommendation for this price range, although we'll probably still stay in Coronado Springs most of the time, because of the fitness center.

We didn't have long after we got settled before we went to lunch at Portobello. We took the boat down the "river" to Downtown Disney and saw the Treehouses along the way, which I'd love to stay at:

I'm going to do a review of that so I'll save my pictures, but it was delicious but it took forever. I will also say that I think my "organic beer" was from a strong batch, because I was a little tipsy by the time we were done.

On the way back I snapped some pictures of the Lego Store. They have redone this since the last time I paid attention and I have to say the new statues are awesome:

In case you can't tell from the pictures, those are made of LEGO!

DW wanted something to drink and the line she was in turned out to be the longest in history. Fortunately while I was waiting this guy was doing an awesome rendition of "Sailing" by Christopher Cross. It was so good I actually thought it was a recording until I realized it was him singing:

Anyone ever seen this guy before?

After we got back to the room, the short sleep and travel hit us and we took an epic nap. We barely had time to get to our reservation at Boatwrights, which I detail here:

http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/review-boatwrights-port-orleans-riverside

After we were done there we walked back down the river, and if the weather was nice during the day it was perfect during the evening. After I stroll back I started working on our posts, which you are reading now! So I'll hopefully pick this back up tomorrow.

Enjoying your trip report but....WHAT HAPPENED TO THE POLY?

Brad's picture

scrappy wrote:
Enjoying your trip report but....WHAT HAPPENED TO THE POLY?

We needed to come 2 days early, so we're staying at POFQ for the first two days. Move to the Poly tomorrow. I should have mentioned that!

Brad's picture

Day 2

So day 2 is likely going to be a bit boring. DW has meetings all day, so I'm pretty much left on my own, which is good because I have a bunch of work I need to get done. In that spirit I somehow managed to sleep until nearly 11am! When I finally got moving I got some work in and then I headed over to the food court, here's the link to my impressions:

http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/lunch-port-orleans-french-quarter-food-court

Since I probably won't have too much more that's interesting to say for the day, I took a few more pictures of the exterior here at POFQ:

I'll probably eat at the food court again for dinner and add some pictures from there. I'll let you know if anything interesting develops!

Brad's picture

Whoops! Got too busy with work and forgot to go back to the food court. sad

I had two protein bars for dinner and it was neither filling nor magical. At least I'll be nice and hungry for whatever we're eating tomorrow.

Brad's picture

Day 3 - The Move to the Poly

We got up a little later than expected and didn't manage to get breakfast before we moved hotels. We were happy to learn that our room was already prepared when we got here. We got settled and then took the boat over to the Magic Kingdom. Here's a few pics from the boat ride:

We had lunch at Tony's which I'll post later. I thought it was really good, much better than previous trips. DW thought it was better, but wasn't nearly as enthusiastic as I was. After that we went over to the Fantasyland expansion to see how things are progressing. Check out this link for some of the posters they have over there:

http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/storybook-land-posters

Here's a picture of the new Dumbo:

And the new railroad station:

After that I got cranky because it was kind of hot. Not really hot like it usually is, but the crowds and the heat got to me so we headed back to the room. One of the many nice things about staying here at the Poly is that I get to explore it in ways that I haven't before. There's a beach over by the section of rooms that we're in and I took a few shots from there as the sun was going down:

So now I'm just getting a little posting in before dinner at 'Ohana! yay yay

MrHub's picture

Yeah! What building are you in.

Brad's picture

We're in Aotearoa, right over by the Luau.

Jess's picture

Love the new dumbo....Do they have both of them open now? And the best part about the new dumbo is all that shade...That was the worst part about that ride...it was always so hot waiting in line.

MrHub's picture

Thats the really quite beach. Hardly anyone goes there.
Have you found all your hidden Mickey's in your room yet?

Brad's picture

Mr Hub. We loved that beach so much we went back there after dinner. We ate at 'Ohana and I wrote about the beers there in my beer thread here:

http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/beers-disney-world

Afterwards we went back to the quiet beach and sat on the swing and enjoyed the peace and quiet. It was great!

Haven't done a hidden Mickey hunt yet!

J.P.'s picture

Brad wrote:
Haven't done a hidden Mickey hunt yet!

Poly is a great place for a hidden Mickey hunt! Once I found my first one they were popping out all over the place. Looks like you're having an amazing trip so far, hope the rest goes just as well!

MrHub's picture

Nice Brad, glad to hear your enjoying the Poly!

Bella's picture

Brad wrote:

Quiet possibly the most random thing I have ever said on this board...but isn't Dumbo going the wrong way??? Did they switch his direction when they made the new ride?

Great TR so far! I need go read all your food reviews now..yum, yum. What has been your favorite meal so far??

mickey Bella

Kris1971's picture

Bella wrote:
Brad wrote:

Quiet possibly the most random thing I have ever said on this board...but isn't Dumbo going the wrong way??? Did they switch his direction when they made the new ride?

Great TR so far! I need go read all your food reviews now..yum, yum. What has been your favorite meal so far??

Bella, I think you're right. I thought something looked odd.

Jess's picture

Bella wrote:
Brad wrote:

You are right Bella... They said its the first time dumbo has ever went that way... I made a comment in another thread saying I wonder if it feels different when riding it