Buses or rental car

Login to post comments
23 posts / 0 new
Offline
Joined: 07/07/2011
Posts: 7
Buses or rental car

I noticed one of the tips on this site says to rent a car instead of using the buses.

Is Disney transportation really that bad?

JustCar's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/24/2010
Posts: 1042

I use the buses Smile

__________________

Oct 2009 POP
Sept 2011 POP
Oct 2013 Coronado
May 2014 AKL , Magic, AoA Girlie Trip
Oct 2014 CBR Pirate Room Girlie Trip
Nov 2014 DCL Fantasy 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, Girlie Trip, POR Royal Guest Suite, GF Concierge
August 2015 DCL Magic 7 Night Mediterranean
October 2015 DL Grand Californian, DCL Wonder Panama Canal

https://www.facebook.com/MsBubbles
https://www.facebook.com/MVTRavel

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4657

Even though I sometimes get a rental car I still use the busses exclusively and have never had a problem with WDW transportation. The rental car stays parked except to go off property.

__________________

roundbo's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/31/2011
Posts: 26

These buses run continuously and yes you may have to wait a bit and yes they can be crowded but not having to think about parking and finding your way around makes using the bus system the best way to go.

arbolita's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2011
Posts: 149

We've never rented a car at WDW and always use the buses, but I can see the appeal to renting a car, especially for days you intend to go off property (to Universal, for example) or if you have many meal reservations at different Disney resorts. Sometimes it can be a hassle to have to go from your resort to a park/downtown disney, just to get to the other resort for your meal (and then travel back the same way).

Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 1905

I would have to go with rent a car. We are probably not the ones to really answer this question though as we have never been on a Disney bus.

katrina1122's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/08/2010
Posts: 427

We always use disney transportation and almost always stay at bus exclusive resorts.

__________________

Wishin' I was at WDW!

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

We are rental people, but we also move around a lot. We just feel like the trip is so expensive we want to reduce the amount of time we spend in transit.

That being said, I would definitely not describe the Disney transport as "bad." It's done pretty well, you just have to plan ahead.

Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4703

Brad wrote:
We are rental people, but we also move around a lot. We just feel like the trip is so expensive we want to reduce the amount of time we spend in transit.

That being said, I would definitely not describe the Disney transport as "bad." It's done pretty well, you just have to plan ahead.

I agree completely. I don't think it's bad, and comparatively, I think it's pretty amazing. But I have the patience of a tired, sleepy, cranky 2-year-old on a good day, and have to be the master of my destiny! And we park hop and move around alot throughout the day.

I think if we just went to a park and stayed all day it is the perfect solution, but since we don't we love having our car.

Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 1905

We move around a lot too. That is why we have never tried the bus services.

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

roundbo wrote:
These buses run continuously and yes you may have to wait a bit and yes they can be crowded but not having to think about parking and finding your way around makes using the bus system the best way to go.

Couldnt had said it any better. I will always do buses by far. Just makes things so much easier.

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

J.P.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 12/08/2010
Posts: 438

Mase wrote:
roundbo wrote:
These buses run continuously and yes you may have to wait a bit and yes they can be crowded but not having to think about parking and finding your way around makes using the bus system the best way to go.

Couldnt had said it any better. I will always do buses by far. Just makes things so much easier.

I also love Disney's bus system! I'll always use it. It's also nice to take the time on (and waiting for) the bus to hold hands with the hubby and talk about all the exciting Disney things happening to us yay

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6732

I like the bus system. If I can avoid the expense of a rental car while on vacation and let someone else do the driving, I'm ok with that.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

ChipnDaleFan's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/02/2010
Posts: 882

I've had a car there when we drove down and still used the disney busing. It can be slow at times but it's so convenient. It's usually not bad though.

__________________

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

kayb's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/26/2011
Posts: 174

We've never been without a car at Disney but we don't normally take it to the parks. It is nice to have to get to dinner reservations at other places, and if you want to go off-property! mickey

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

We take the hybrid approach too - buses when possible, car when we're in a hurry. And if you don't mind waiting, the buses are a good option. Easier with direct routes, though. Once you start trying to do crazy stuff - like going from resort to resort Smile - it can get a little confusing imo.

__________________

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

It's up to you really...we love the buses. We usually park our car in the lot and leave it until we check out. We found if you plan that the buses are really easy to use. I think it's more of a pain having to drive, find the parking lot, park, get on the tram and then get to the parks.

__________________

mickey Bella


Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Bella wrote:
It's up to you really...we love the buses. We usually park our car in the lot and leave it until we check out. We found if you plan that the buses are really easy to use. I think it's more of a pain having to drive, find the parking lot, park, get on the tram and then get to the parks.

Yes...and not to mention if you're going to MK, you have to tack extra time on to crossing on the monorail/ferry. In that instance, it's bus all the way.

__________________

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

Lizzy_B wrote:
Bella wrote:
It's up to you really...we love the buses. We usually park our car in the lot and leave it until we check out. We found if you plan that the buses are really easy to use. I think it's more of a pain having to drive, find the parking lot, park, get on the tram and then get to the parks.

Yes...and not to mention if you're going to MK, you have to tack extra time on to crossing on the monorail/ferry. In that instance, it's bus all the way.

True..forgot about that one! Because I don't think I've ever done it.

__________________

mickey Bella


J.P.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 12/08/2010
Posts: 438

Bella wrote:
Lizzy_B wrote:
Bella wrote:
It's up to you really...we love the buses. We usually park our car in the lot and leave it until we check out. We found if you plan that the buses are really easy to use. I think it's more of a pain having to drive, find the parking lot, park, get on the tram and then get to the parks.

Yes...and not to mention if you're going to MK, you have to tack extra time on to crossing on the monorail/ferry. In that instance, it's bus all the way.

True..forgot about that one! Because I don't think I've ever done it.

Lol, I took a cab ONCE to MK to get to a dinner reservation and it let me off at the Ticket Centre. I was like, "What's this? Where's the park??" I ended up taking the monorail over. I was so confused! laugh

I would definitely bus to MK whenever possible.

kormelmer's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/01/2011
Posts: 107

kayb wrote:
We've never been without a car at Disney but we don't normally take it to the parks. It is nice to have to get to dinner reservations at other places, and if you want to go off-property! mickey

I agree 100%. We use Disney transportation as much as possible.

__________________

We've stayed at:
Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Beach/Yacht Club, Old Key West Resort, Port Orleans (Riverside & French Quarter), Coronado Springs, Boardwalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Pop Century, All Star (Music & Sports).

Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 1905

I see we are the odd balls on this subject. Really the only way we do not drive our car is when we stay at the Poly and are going to the Magic Kingdom. Then we take the little resort boat over. We even drive to EPCOT from the Poly.

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9475

I think its much easier with a car. We've never really had to wait much longer then 5 minutes for a tram in the parking lot to get to a park or from a park to the parking lot. I'll just say I'm happier driving! biggrin