Disneyland in 1955

Login to post comments
12 posts / 0 new
crazycatperson's picture
Disneyland in 1955

A friend who knows my obsession sent me this link. Apologies if it's already been posted.

http://now.msn.com/disneyland-footage-from-1955-shows-brand-new-park-in-vintage-state

Never would've guessed Disneyland ever closed on Mondays.

fmknightuk's picture

Thanks for posting that link. I loved seeing DL from nearly 60 years ago. LOL at the 'closed Mondays'. Can you imagine WDW closing once a week?

Fiona

finngirl's picture

Oh wow, that just put a smile on my face! My first visit was in 1960, and our home movies look just like this, except everyone is walking very fast! biggrin I love how everyone dressed up by today's standards - dresses, nice pants and shirts, etc. Our movies show my Mom in dresses every day, and us kids in dresses at least half the time. Of course I also had my cowboy hat on. laugh My dad is rarely in the shots, since he was the one filming.

The first time my son saw the burro footage, he couldn't believe that was an actual ride! We were very easily amused then I guess. I remember loving doing that.

Diana

Time marches on. Eventually you realize it's doing it across your face.

crazycatperson's picture

My family never went to Disneyland when I was a kid (wrong coast), but we went to the 1964/65 New York World's Fair twice, and all my dad's photos are the same as your movies, finngirl - most of the women and girls in dresses, most of the men in sports jackets and ties or at least nice slacks and shirts. One year we wore our fancy party dresses, the other it was school dresses (because we always wore dresses to school back then). That was just how people dressed back then. Even though I remember it, it still looks weird to me now.

Hardy0109's picture

This is classic. I haven't been to DL in so long and brought back some memories form when I was just a little boy. Closed Monday signs, the way they dressed, the vivid colors on main street, the monkey. Everything was so spectacular. Thanks for sharing!

omnia mea mecum porto.

@byhardy on twitter.

disneydoc's picture

yes, those ladies in their June Cleaver dresses with the pocketbooks over their arms...a flashback to my childhood.

I remember when I was first allowed to wear "pants" (NOT jeans, mind you) to church, on Sunday night only. Oh my, the scandal when we finally begin to get wild and wear them to the AM services.

Thank you so much for this post, ccp! mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

taratru's picture

That is SO cool to watch!

JoAnn C's picture

loved the video

Jess's picture

That was so cool....I actually had something to post about Disneyland opening day that I heard on one of the podcasts I listen to and it was cool seeing the images of the things that I was going to post about

Kristen K.'s picture

Hardy0109 wrote:
This is classic. I haven't been to DL in so long and brought back some memories form when I was just a little boy. Closed Monday signs, the way they dressed, the vivid colors on main street, the monkey. Everything was so spectacular. Thanks for sharing!

Hardy! Are you remembering a past life?
rolling rolling rolling

Kristen K.'s picture

Loved this video -- I do wish more people would dress nicer these days. mickey

Hardy0109's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Hardy0109 wrote:

Hardy! Are you remembering a past life?
rolling rolling rolling

LOL! No! It just looked awesome and so different! Better than what I have imagined when it first would have opened! There was just some of main street that had me remembering DL.

omnia mea mecum porto.

@byhardy on twitter.