Do You Ever Feel Like You Should Try Someplace New?

Login to post comments
27 posts / 0 new
Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357
Do You Ever Feel Like You Should Try Someplace New?

I know it sounds like a terrible idea. Still every once in a while I think about the limited number of vacations I'm going to get in my life and wonder if I should be doing something more adventurous or educational, or at least something I haven't done a bunch of times before. Do you ever feel this way?

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

Forsooth!

We just try to take extra vacations to compensate.

ChipnDaleFan's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/02/2010
Posts: 882

Why not try one of the Adventures by Disney! It's still the comfort of getting a magical experience but trying some new things in new places. I'm looking into the Costa Rica one!

__________________

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

ChipnDaleFan wrote:
Why not try one of the Adventures by Disney! It's still the comfort of getting a magical experience but trying some new things in new places. I'm looking into the Costa Rica one!

But when do I get to ride Splash Mountain? laugh

How seriously are you looking at the trip? I'd be really interested in both Costa Rica and Adventures by Disney.

ChipnDaleFan's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/02/2010
Posts: 882

cdub wrote:
ChipnDaleFan wrote:
Why not try one of the Adventures by Disney! It's still the comfort of getting a magical experience but trying some new things in new places. I'm looking into the Costa Rica one!

But when do I get to ride Splash Mountain? laugh

How seriously are you looking at the trip? I'd be really interested in both Costa Rica and Adventures by Disney.



I've looked at the intineraries, prices, and watched their DVD. It's a matter of when I can go and if I can save enough since I'm paying for grad school OOP as I go. Loans are evil.

__________________

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

milliehubbard's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/25/2009
Posts: 489

We struggle with deciding whether to go somewhere else. There are so many places Iwant to see and so little vacation time!! Our 25th anniversary is in 3 years and we're hoping to take a really special vacation. I always thought I wanted to go to France but with the ecomonic and political climate these days...I'm leaning toward Hawaii...it also helps that Disney is building a DVC in Hawaii!!

__________________

Resorts

2017 AKL-Jambo House (May)
2017 Old Key West (Apr)
2016 Port Orleans Riverside (Oct)-Hurricane Matthew!!
2016 Old Key West (Aug)
2016 CBR (Jul)
2016 Art of Animation (May)
2015 Ft. Wilderness Campground (Oct)
2014 Sherwood Forest RV Park (Nov)
2013 Pop Century (Jul)
2012 Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress (Jul)
2011 Radisson Lake Buena Vista (Aug)
2010 Pop Century (Nov)
2009 PO Riverside (Jul)
2008 Pop Century (Apr)
2006-2007 FL residents: Hunters Creek 8 miles from the parks!!
2005 All Star Sports (Jul)
2005 PO Riverside/CBR/CSR (Apr)
mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

milliehubbard wrote:
We struggle with deciding whether to go somewhere else. There are so many places Iwant to see and so little vacation time!! Our 25th anniversary is in 3 years and we're hoping to take a really special vacation. I always thought I wanted to go to France but with the ecomonic and political climate these days...I'm leaning toward Hawaii...it also helps that Disney is building a DVC in Hawaii!!

Very excited to watch your planning for that one, Millie!

We do travel to Disney World every year, but plan a big expedition every few years as well. Right now, we're also considering one of those Adults-only adventures by Disney vacations!

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

ChipnDaleFan wrote:

I've looked at the intineraries, prices, and watched their DVD. It's a matter of when I can go and if I can save enough since I'm paying for grad school OOP as I go. Loans are evil.

Have you looked at how it would compare to just a regular Costa Rican vacation? If the cost difference isn't tremendous it seems like a no brainer to go with Disney.

ChipnDaleFan's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/02/2010
Posts: 882

cdub wrote:
ChipnDaleFan wrote:

I've looked at the intineraries, prices, and watched their DVD. It's a matter of when I can go and if I can save enough since I'm paying for grad school OOP as I go. Loans are evil.

Have you looked at how it would compare to just a regular Costa Rican vacation? If the cost difference isn't tremendous it seems like a no brainer to go with Disney.



I haven't looked into anything else because 1. I feel safe with Disney so I feel better leaving the country with them and 2. I like that it is all done for me and I don't need to worry about separate bookings or travel agent costs or planning excursions. It's a bit easier.

__________________

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

ChipnDaleFan wrote:
cdub wrote:
ChipnDaleFan wrote:

I've looked at the intineraries, prices, and watched their DVD. It's a matter of when I can go and if I can save enough since I'm paying for grad school OOP as I go. Loans are evil.

Have you looked at how it would compare to just a regular Costa Rican vacation? If the cost difference isn't tremendous it seems like a no brainer to go with Disney.



I haven't looked into anything else because 1. I feel safe with Disney so I feel better leaving the country with them and 2. I like that it is all done for me and I don't need to worry about separate bookings or travel agent costs or planning excursions. It's a bit easier.

Good points. Would you do the adults-only one, Jess?

Also, does anyone know how safe Costa Rica is these days? I know there's a lot of unrest in that area, but I haven't heard anything bad about costa Rica. Even so, going with Disney and knowing you'd have the best, safest accommodations possible would be great.

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

I think it's very important to experience some new things and places. As much as we love Disney, we make it a point to take other vacations as well.

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

LifeIsForLiving wrote:
I think it's very important to experience some new things and places. As much as we love Disney, we make it a point to take other vacations as well.

The secret is to take between 8-10 vacations every year. 26 two week vacations would be ideal.

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

dsoup wrote:
LifeIsForLiving wrote:
I think it's very important to experience some new things and places. As much as we love Disney, we make it a point to take other vacations as well.

The secret is to take between 8-10 vacations every year. 26 two week vacations would be ideal.

LOL, there you go. Something to aspire to.

Annie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 1610

dsoup wrote:
LifeIsForLiving wrote:
I think it's very important to experience some new things and places. As much as we love Disney, we make it a point to take other vacations as well.

The secret is to take between 8-10 vacations every year. 26 two week vacations would be ideal.

I think that's a great idea, dsoup! Why didn't I think of that???

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

I took six months or so off one year (last year with the PD, had a lot of vacation to use and other paid leave). Before that I took several six week vacations. Don't get nearly as much vacation time now as I did then.

To be clear, mine was one of the most stressful jobs in the world. We got all that vacation for a reason and the work still seemed to suck the life right out of people.

---So...back to Disney magic and smiles---

biggrin stars biggrin

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

LifeIsForLiving wrote:
I took six months or so off one year (last year with the PD, had a lot of vacation to use and other paid leave). Before that I took several six week vacations. Don't get nearly as much vacation time now as I did then.

To be clear, mine was one of the most stressful jobs in the world. We got all that vacation for a reason and the work still seemed to suck the life right out of people.

---So...back to Disney magic and smiles---

biggrin stars biggrin

Do what you love and every day's a vacation. Or at least that's what I'm told, I wouldn't know from personal experience. laugh

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

That's the goal. I do love my job now, but it's a means to an end presently.

Offline
Joined: 01/30/2010
Posts: 260

I Definetely do lots of other vacations.

I guess I'm lucky enough to live so close to WDW that I almost don't even view my trips as "vacation". It's more like just an extension of a long weekend trip.

I am kind of a timeshare nut so own a few weeks and points resorts so I'm always looking towards the next vacation.

Also living in a cruise port city means lots of cruising opportunities come my way.

__________________

Living Close to the Mouses house. mickey
My second home is SSR.

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

ehh..kind of.
We went a lot in the early years of our relationship. We were just out of college had no house, no bills, our first real salaries so we had lots of opportunities to go. We always talked about going to California..or Hawaii..but we just never did. When I look back on it sometimes I wish we did. On the other hand..those were great trips and we'll have such memories for a really long time.

__________________

mickey Bella


Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

chriskre wrote:
I Definetely do lots of other vacations.

I guess I'm lucky enough to live so close to WDW that I almost don't even view my trips as "vacation". It's more like just an extension of a long weekend trip.

I am kind of a timeshare nut so own a few weeks and points resorts so I'm always looking towards the next vacation.

Also living in a cruise port city means lots of cruising opportunities come my way.

I always worry that if I had too easy of access to WDW it would sort of spoil the magic. Do you think it makes it less magical for you?

PsychoAlice's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/19/2010
Posts: 271

I have actually done a different vacation other than WDW or DL..I went to Cancun for a week and sat on a beach...all the while thinking...I could be riding Space Mountain!

__________________

Offline
Joined: 01/30/2010
Posts: 260

Brad wrote:
chriskre wrote:
I Definetely do lots of other vacations.

I guess I'm lucky enough to live so close to WDW that I almost don't even view my trips as "vacation". It's more like just an extension of a long weekend trip.

I am kind of a timeshare nut so own a few weeks and points resorts so I'm always looking towards the next vacation.

Also living in a cruise port city means lots of cruising opportunities come my way.

I always worry that if I had too easy of access to WDW it would sort of spoil the magic. Do you think it makes it less magical for you?



Not for me but I know alot of Floridians who think Disney is a waste of time and too expensive despite us having all the discounts available to us as residents.

I think it would be easy to take Disney for granted but I guess I have always been one who "gets it" when it comes to Disney so I still enjoy it but now I enjoy it in a very different way then when I was younger.

__________________

Living Close to the Mouses house. mickey
My second home is SSR.

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

PsychoAlice wrote:
I have actually done a different vacation other than WDW or DL..I went to Cancun for a week and sat on a beach...all the while thinking...I could be riding Space Mountain!

Best quote ever! laugh

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

milliehubbard's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/25/2009
Posts: 489

We've been on a few other vacations...twice to Ireland and once to Nova Scotia. Thinking of Hawaii for our 25th in a couple of years...I'm thinking though of staying at the Disney property in Hawaii and tagging on Disneyland on the way there does that still count as "different"?? Wink)

__________________

Resorts

2017 AKL-Jambo House (May)
2017 Old Key West (Apr)
2016 Port Orleans Riverside (Oct)-Hurricane Matthew!!
2016 Old Key West (Aug)
2016 CBR (Jul)
2016 Art of Animation (May)
2015 Ft. Wilderness Campground (Oct)
2014 Sherwood Forest RV Park (Nov)
2013 Pop Century (Jul)
2012 Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress (Jul)
2011 Radisson Lake Buena Vista (Aug)
2010 Pop Century (Nov)
2009 PO Riverside (Jul)
2008 Pop Century (Apr)
2006-2007 FL residents: Hunters Creek 8 miles from the parks!!
2005 All Star Sports (Jul)
2005 PO Riverside/CBR/CSR (Apr)
mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

admin's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2010
Posts: 2733

milliehubbard wrote:
We've been on a few other vacations...twice to Ireland and once to Nova Scotia. Thinking of Hawaii for our 25th in a couple of years...I'm thinking though of staying at the Disney property in Hawaii and tagging on Disneyland on the way there does that still count as "different"?? Wink)

laugh Sure...that's "different!" wink No matter what, it sounds wonderful!

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9502

Nope! , never even think about it. Disney does it for me!

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

mrhub wrote:
Nope! , never even think about it. Disney does it for me!

I think it would definitely have to be additional, rather than in place of.