Epcot's Le Cellier restaurant debuts new chef, menu

Login to post comments
36 posts / 0 new
Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4703
Epcot's Le Cellier restaurant debuts new chef, menu

As long as they don't lose the pretzel rolls.... eek

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-lecellier-restaurant-20110303,0,5417731.story

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

This is one place I need to go to before I die. I love steak, and I hear this is the place to get it.

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

Mase wrote:
This is one place I need to go to before I die. I love steak, and I hear this is the place to get it.

It's good & all but I think it's overrated. Yachtsman Steakhouse has better steak (in my opinion).

__________________

mickey Bella


Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

Bella wrote:
Mase wrote:
This is one place I need to go to before I die. I love steak, and I hear this is the place to get it.

It's good & all but I think it's overrated. Yachtsman Steakhouse has better steak (in my opinion).

I havent heard of that one. Ill have to look into it.

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

Mase wrote:

I havent heard of that one. Ill have to look into it.

IMO - Yachtsman has a better steak, but if I could only do one, I'd do Le Cellier.

caitiesus's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2009
Posts: 682

The best steak I have ever had at Disney was actually at The Wave.

But I need to go to Le Cellier for the soup!

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Jiko's filet was pretty amazing, too..as was the short rib.

I'm interested to know if Canadian raised beef = grass fed, although I doubt it...but one can hope, since this is now a signature restaurant, and Disney is all about the renewable and sustainable. We've begun limiting our beef consumption only to grass-fed - which means prettymuch no beef in most restaurants.

__________________

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9497

Mase wrote:
Bella wrote:
Mase wrote:
This is one place I need to go to before I die. I love steak, and I hear this is the place to get it.

It's good & all but I think it's overrated. Yachtsman Steakhouse has better steak (in my opinion).

I haven't heard of that one. Ill have to look into it.

I would definitely have to argue that point. We went to the Yachtsman in Sept and I was not impressed at all. I have had much better steaks at Le Cellier, Cali Grill , Brown Derby & the Turf Club. I am comparing steak to steak too, (NY Strip to NY Strip or Filet to Filet). There was definitely not the "Wow" factor at the Yachtsman that I had expected. I would still give it a chance again because we were only there once.

Mase's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2011
Posts: 5438

mrhub wrote:
Mase wrote:
Bella wrote:
Mase wrote:
This is one place I need to go to before I die. I love steak, and I hear this is the place to get it.

It's good & all but I think it's overrated. Yachtsman Steakhouse has better steak (in my opinion).

I haven't heard of that one. Ill have to look into it.

I would definitely have to argue that point. We went to the Yachtsman in Sept and I was not impressed at all. I have had much better steaks at Le Cellier, Cali Grill , Brown Derby & the Turf Club. I am comparing steak to steak too, (NY Strip to NY Strip or Filet to Filet). There was definitely not the "Wow" factor at the Yachtsman that I had expected. I would still give it a chance again because we were only there once.

Ill have to look into all of those. Im a huge fan of Ribeye... and I think the Yachtsman has one. Havent looked at Cellier's menu yet though. Gonna have to look into all of those... lol

__________________

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

I agree that there are lots of good steaks in WDW, but the sides and what not at Le Cellier are awesome. I also agree that it's not always worth the effort to get in there though. I agree heartily on the Jiko filet as well, although I don't think it comes with mac & cheese anymore, but I read you can still request it.

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Brad wrote:
I agree that there are lots of good steaks in WDW, but the sides and what not at Le Cellier are awesome. I also agree that it's not always worth the effort to get in there though. I agree heartily on the Jiko filet as well, although I don't think it comes with mac & cheese anymore, but I read you can still request it.

Yes! That's what my dinner companion had. The server actually offered it without our asking. But you know, I was so focused on everything else, it didn't wow me. The steak, the shortrib, and the flanksteak flatbread were all fantastic. Oh, and the wine - Chocolate Block.

But I still want grass fed beef somewhere on property. It's not a big leap. They're doing sustainable fish.

__________________

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9497

Oh yeah Lizzy, the Chocolate Block is great! Love that! awesome

caitiesus's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2009
Posts: 682

Wait wait wait...wine = CHOCOLATE BLOCK? Why have I not gone there yet?

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

You MUST try it Caitie if you love reds! Big bold red blend...fabulous with the shortrib. (I was a little concerned about a pairing because the shortrib had a tamarind-cab glaze, but the CB was perfect.)

__________________

caitiesus's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2009
Posts: 682

Lizzy_B wrote:
You MUST try it Caitie if you love reds! Big bold red blend...fabulous with the shortrib. (I was a little concerned about a pairing because the shortrib had a tamarind-cab glaze, but the CB was perfect.)

Well i love reds and whites, and just wine in general. Always like to try something new!

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

Wait..I am really confused..is the wine chocolate???

__________________

mickey Bella


Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Caitie - me too! I like the right wine for the food - red, white, rose. Last year, we had fun during the hot, hot summer learning about vinho verde and rose.

Bella wrote:
Wait..I am really confused..is the wine chocolate???

Nope...but it does pair BEE-utifully with chocolate. It's a big, bold red blend. Wait - am I repeating myself? Laughing out loud

__________________

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

Was reading the comparison over at Disney Food Blog. The new prices seem a bit high for what looks like the same food.

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

cdub wrote:
Was reading the comparison over at Disney Food Blog. The new prices seem a bit high for what looks like the same food.

I thought the same - prices seem outrageous. Lovers of Le Cellier - do you think it's justified? Since they're always busy, I'm sure they don't mind that they've turned me off from visiting, but I wonder if they'll lose regulars over the prices?

__________________

caitiesus's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2009
Posts: 682

Lizzy_B wrote:
cdub wrote:
Was reading the comparison over at Disney Food Blog. The new prices seem a bit high for what looks like the same food.

I thought the same - prices seem outrageous. Lovers of Le Cellier - do you think it's justified? Since they're always busy, I'm sure they don't mind that they've turned me off from visiting, but I wonder if they'll lose regulars over the prices?

I doubt we will go for dinner. Maybe a light lunch that consists of the soup

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

I agree..if I go again it would just be for lunch..unless they REALLY step up their game & they don't become even more overrated than they already are.

Fun Fact..I found amazing pretzel bread at Trader Joe's. Yum.

__________________

mickey Bella


Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Bella wrote:
I agree..if I go again it would just be for lunch..unless they REALLY step up their game & they don't become even more overrated than they already are.

Fun Fact..I found amazing pretzel bread at Trader Joe's. Yum.

Um...how do you have a Trader Joe's, and you don't have a SuperTarget?? There are ZERO Trader Joe's in O-Town.

__________________

Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4703

Lizzy_B wrote:
Bella wrote:
Fun Fact..I found amazing pretzel bread at Trader Joe's. Yum.

Um...how do you have a Trader Joe's, and you don't have a SuperTarget?? There are ZERO Trader Joe's in O-Town.

I just spotted that pretzel bread at our Trader Joe's last weekend! Must try! I've had the Harris Teeter version and it's ok. We're lucky, we have a SuperTarget not too far from us in Charlotte. Woo!

Lizzy - No TJs in O-town?!? Ut-oh, I dont' think Joe will move there if no Trader Joe's!! Crapsticks!

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

We can't be far from getting one, can we? It's shocking, I know. We have Whole Foods (2) and Fresh Market (I know of 1 but there might be others) but no TJs. I think companies sometimes forget people, you know, live here.

__________________

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

EAger to hear the reviews from the new Le Cellier. I love both LC and Yachtsman Steakhouse. Now, with LC's new dinner menu, they both have rib eye muchlove The Ribeye at Yachtsman is HUGE! I love it with garlic butter.

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

Breaufam's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/21/2012
Posts: 139

Does anyone have a more recent review of Le Cellier? I am pretty sure I read somewhere on this forum recently that it had been a little "off" so I made an ADR at Yachtsman for steaks. This is our belated honeymoon trip and we have this last full night @ WDW slated for a romantic evening. muchlove
Thanks in advance mickey

__________________

TTFN_71's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2012
Posts: 177

I had lunch there last December as part of the candelight processional package and I wasn't thrilled with finally getting seated two and a half hours after my seating time. Really ticked me off. Leaving tomorrow morning for a flight to the world and didn't even consider making reservations there for this trip. By the way we checked in a half hour before our seating time.

__________________

Life is a journey not a destination.

macdamron's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2011
Posts: 176

We went last May. We got right in with our reservation and the service and food was great! It was my husband's favorite meal! We had a great experience.

****I retract this statement...in a state of exhaustion(I'm doing the Insanity work out program) I thought this was Le Chefs de France...my bad haha***

__________________

LuvAllDisney's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/13/2012
Posts: 115

Maybe it's hit or miss. I used to say this was my absolute favorite restaurant! I loved muchlove the Filet, the sides, the soup, the pretzel bread! Yummy! We went in Aug last year and had no problem what so ever with our dinner. We got right in, we gladly used 2 dining credits because this was our absolute *must do* restaurant each trip. It wasn't jammed packed, but it did take us 2 hours to actually complete dinner, which I thought was kinda odd since it wasn't as busy and we have never had a dinner take that long before in any of the restaurants. That and it was just the 2 of us.

Now in December, that DH is refering to.... I booked us the Candlelight Processional package, which I was told was only a lunch package for 2 credits. Again, we gladly used 2 because we loved to eat there. It took them 3 hrs to seat us, 2 1/2 hrs PAST our reservation time and we checked in a half an hr early and to top it all I made early reservations so we would have plenty of time and not have to *run* to CP. Which is what we ended up having to do anyhow because we didn't get finished with our lunch until 4:50 and our CP package time was for 5:00. Forget about good seats by then. We were lucky to still be in the "reserved" area which by the time we got there we were almost at the very back. As we were leaving Le Cellier, they were already starting to seat for dinner, which I was told started at 4:30 when I made the CP reservation. Even the CM at the hostess area inside couldn't believe we were still waiting for a table. They commented on it several times to one another. Everytime I would ask if they were going to seat us, they would say, sorry we are behind. We watched them seat big group after big group after big group. There were 4 of us. What we figured out they were doing was packing the place full of big parties...6 or more. They didn't have very many 2 and 4 tables. They didn't want to split up the big tables so we had to wait until parties of 4 were finished before we could get seated. It wasn't just us that waited that day. all 2,3, and 4s waited. I even told them we had the package to get to. They didn't seem to care.

So will we return to Le Cellier? Maybe, but not any time soon. Seems like they have a little arrogance going on. Although their food is delicious, unless they have fixed these *major* glitches, we won't be returning. What I think is going to happen is they are going to be *slammed* for lunch because people love it and don't want to use 2 credits or they want to try it for the first time and don't want to use 2 credits. Our friends have already said they won't do dinner there again due to the 2 credits. They will only do lunch. I think they should either pick 2 credits or 1 credit. Not both, they need to make it one or the other

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6755

I ate there for the first time in November and wasn't impressed.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9497

We had dinner there in Oct and were very disappointed in the food. Not planning on going back anytime soon!