Happy New Year! What New Thing Will You Try in 2011?

Login to post comments
35 posts / 0 new
Lizzy_B's picture
Happy New Year! What New Thing Will You Try in 2011?

My post is inspired by Bali's post from last year!

http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/happy-new-year-whats-one-new-thing-youre-trying-2010

Those of you who responded - did you do the thing you planned to do? What new things do you have planned for this year - resolution or otherwise? Do any of your goals involve a Disney trip or experience?

Mine is to see Illuminations and Fantasmic before my annual pass expires (not sure if we'll be able to renew sad )

Bella's picture

Happy New Year WDWforgrownfolks!

I want to be more diligent about saving money..I am SO bad about that. Qdoba always seems better than putting twenty bucks in the savings account..also..I am pretty crafty person..I just want to actually be crafty. I have tons of ideas but I never do them Sad

This is fun!

mickey Bella

Happy New Year! On our list for 2011:

Figure out a business Joe and I can do together and start planning for it - I would love to take up a new career by the time I hit 50 and reach my 25th year in the corporate world. And that ain't that far away - both in 3 years!

And I think I want to try and bake something. That we can eat. I can never be like Joe, but I should at least be able to make an omelet or something, in case he gets sick or something so we don't both starve. I have no kitchen skillz.

And if all that fails, I have about 6 craft-type projects that have been sitting in the closet for years that need attention.

dsoup's picture

Jeff, are you tired of your current career? (I've forgotten what you do)

I think I'm going to try weighing LESS at the end of 2011 than I do at the beginning. That would be a new thing to try.

SpaceAce's picture

Great question! Let's see... I'd like to try to run a half-marathon this year. Not sure it's possible, but it's a good goal awesome

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

caitiesus's picture

I am going to try to eat healthier and cook more. I am also going to try to be more crafty. I got a couple sewing books and my sewing machine has been collecting dust for a year. Since money is tight, it is a great thing to do for gifts. Budgeting better should be on this list too!

And I still want to run a 5K sometime this year. And get a job in my field.

That is a lot of things...wow

teacherdrama's picture

Get myself an agent and a book deal! I've been trying for two years - this is the year it's going to happen (I hope!).

I agree with the weigh less thing (why does food have to be so good!?)

I also agree with the spend less money/pay down debt/save to be able to go on vacation since we haven't gone since our honeymoon!

Zipadeedoodah -- yeah, man

Bella's picture

JeffC wrote:
!

And I think I want to try and bake something. That we can eat. I can never be like Joe, but I should at least be able to make an omelet or something, in case he gets sick or something so we don't both starve. I have no kitchen skillz.

the fact that you just called it kitchen skillz rocks my world.

mickey Bella

Pegosaurus's picture

More exercise, less beer.

I will definitely get bored of this plan within about 2 weeks.

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

subvetss's picture

Solo trip to Disney World.
Joe

Tony's picture

I wondered if you'd go to WDW solo Joe. I hope there are lots of happy memories there for you.

As with others I think I need to try eating less and exercising more. How far I get with that plan is very debateable though.

I can only please one person per day. Today isn't your day... tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Lizzy_B's picture

SpaceAce wrote:
Great question! Let's see... I'd like to try to run a half-marathon this year. Not sure it's possible, but it's a good goal awesome

Me too! This was actually a goal I had last year...it is so darn tough to accomplish with, you know, life though! So, we'll give it another go.

These are great! You've all inspired me. I haven't made my goals yet, but they're starting to take shape, though.

subvetss wrote:

Joe

Joe - this is so touching. I hope you don't mind sharing with us when you do, and know that we're all with you in spirit.

dsoup's picture

subvetss wrote:
Joe

Glad to hear you're thinking about this, Joe.

dsoup wrote:

I am, yes. 23 years at the Bank. It's all been good and the company has been fantastic, but I am just at a point where I'd like to turn to something a little more self-gratifying and more meaningful. But it's hard to think about giving up the perks that come with that length of service.

Of course, a stronger economy would be of great help before we consider anything....

Lizzy_B's picture

JeffC wrote:
dsoup wrote:

I am, yes. 23 years at the Bank. It's all been good and the company has been fantastic, but I am just at a point where I'd like to turn to something a little more self-gratifying and more meaningful. But it's hard to think about giving up the perks that come with that length of service.

Of course, a stronger economy would be of great help before we consider anything....

Gosh, Jeff, I meant to comment on your goals, too. How about a move to Ashville, and y'all can open some hip, funky little...something? Smile A bike shop? Oh! I know! A pet hotel to service the folks who stay at the Biltmore and Grove Park Inn! What do you think? (I think I have Ashville on the brain. Just read a great profile in Southern Living.)

admin's picture

Tony wrote:
I wondered if you'd go to WDW solo Joe. I hope there are lots of happy memories there for you.

As with others I think I need to try eating less and exercising more. How far I get with that plan is very debateable though.

Joe -- let us know when you decide to go to WDW next. Maybe we can get down there and meet up with you!

Tony -- We're all behind you!! (Especially me -- huffing and puffing!)

MrHub's picture

Happy New year all! Better late then never yay .

Yeah Joe keep us informed, a meet up would be nice.

Annie's picture

I think I'm gonna try Zumba!

caitiesus's picture

Annie wrote:

i love Zumba! As long as I am not thinking about how ridiculous i must look! But it is so much fun

cdub's picture

Annie wrote:

Hrm...I'd never heard of that. Looks interesting. Is this big right now?

Brad's picture

dsoup wrote:

I think I'm going to try weighing LESS at the end of 2011 than I do at the beginning. That would be a new thing to try.

I've spent 2010 making this a doable proposition. I think if I weigh any MORE I'll just explode.

Bella's picture

Lizzy_B wrote:
JeffC wrote:
dsoup wrote:

Gosh, Jeff, I meant to comment on your goals, too. How about a move to Ashville, and y'all can open some hip, funky little...something? Smile A bike shop? Oh! I know! A pet hotel to service the folks who stay at the Biltmore and Grove Park Inn! What do you think? (I think I have Ashville on the brain. Just read a great profile in Southern Living.)

I looooooove Asheville..that place is just the coolest city in the south..true story!

But Charlotte has South Park Mall and Ikea..so..that's a toughy.

mickey Bella

Lizzy_B's picture

I think I'll stick with the boring weight loss as well. I'm finished having babies. I have all the weight off from the 2nd, but not the first. Time to kick it to the curb!

Lizzy_B's picture

Lizzy_B wrote:
I think I'll stick with the boring weight loss as well. I'm finished having babies. I have all the weight off from the 2nd, but not the first. Time to kick it to the curb!

Says she with the cupcake avatar. Hmmm...where's that Marathon Minnie Picture? mickey

Bella's picture

Lizzy_B wrote:
Lizzy_B wrote:

Says she with the cupcake avatar. Hmmm...where's that Marathon Minnie Picture? mickey

Haha..I usually find I talk about loosing the baby weight the most when I am shoving down cookies!

mickey Bella

cdub's picture

I'm going to resolve to gain weight. The past few years resolving to lose it has had the opposite effect, so...

Lizzy_B's picture

cdub wrote:
I'm going to resolve to gain weight. The past few years resolving to lose it has had the opposite effect, so...

Haha! Excellent! You may have something there, Cdub. I was banging my head against the wall (or what have you) trying to lose weight back in October. Then work and kid illness and cold and finally holidays+kid illness kept knocking me off track. And you know what? I actually LOST during Christmas. Go figure.

Pegosaurus's picture

Haha, that's a good plan cdub!!

The amount of people resolving to lose weight, we should have some sort of...team weight loss thread...to motivate us! I'm only aiming to lose about 10 pounds, but it seems to be incredibly difficult to shift! I need some motivation to get back to the days of a flat tummy!

Hm...should I start a thread like that? Where maybe you post your weight loss or whatever each week? I dunno, would people hate something like that? I know that having to tell people how my weight was doing each week would be an excellent deterrent for me when I'm considering the extra chocolate/glass of wine/whatever, but different things work for different people.

[/url]

caitiesus's picture

Pegosaurus wrote:
Haha, that's a good plan cdub!!

The amount of people resolving to lose weight, we should have some sort of...team weight loss thread...to motivate us! I'm only aiming to lose about 10 pounds, but it seems to be incredibly difficult to shift! I need some motivation to get back to the days of a flat tummy!

Hm...should I start a thread like that? Where maybe you post your weight loss or whatever each week? I dunno, would people hate something like that? I know that having to tell people how my weight was doing each week would be an excellent deterrent for me when I'm considering the extra chocolate/glass of wine/whatever, but different things work for different people.

Another suggestion would to be to start a group for the board on sparkpeople.com. That way we can share somewhere else (since I don't really want people who aren't trying to eat better/lose weight seeing how badly I am doing!

Maybe add a recipes thread on this board though - ot could be healthy or unhealthy, but we all love food and that would be cool...

Pegosaurus's picture

A recipe thread is a good idea! I'll have a look at this spark people thing...

[/url]

Bella's picture

I belonged to a forum once and we started group..but then I got pregnant so dieting flew the freakin coup

mickey Bella