JanJ and KenJ's January 2014 Trip Report

Login to post comments
192 posts / 0 new

After DHS, we headed over to Downtown Disney via PORS. I wanted to get a good view of the construction going on so we went up in the balloon. No problem seeing everything from 400 feet up!

JoAnn C's picture

great pictures from the balloon.

alicemouse's picture

Loving your trip so far!! The balloon shadow in the water is super cool! Looks like a lot of progress on Disney Springs in the past month and a half.

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

JanJ's picture

We had lunch at Raglan Road and we had the Bread and Butter Pudding for dessert. I have been thinking about this dessert since we had it for the first time 2 years ago - IMO, it's the best dessert I've had on site at WDW. Highly recommend it and it's big enough to share!

And thanks JoAnn and alicemouse!

Here's a pic of the Bread and Butter Pudding...

Here's a shot that shows the amazing view we have from our room!

We're off to the Keys To The Kingdom tour now.

Kris1971's picture

mrhub wrote:
Kris1971 wrote:
Yay Disney day!!!! Have a blast.

MrHub & Scrappy...take me with you!!!! I've had enough of this weather!

Kris, the bus leaves Friday morning at 7am, don't be late and there is a seat for you! The room, well that's on you. I couldn't get the King Kamehameha Suite, it was booked!

I so wish I could have taken that seat, but sadly I have to be in Las Vegas for work next week. Grr! Have a great trip!

Kris1971's picture

Ken & Jan, I am loving your trip report. Keep those fantastic pictures and stories coming!

Vettelover's picture

Hey!!! maybe the lighthouse is on a timer and the timer settings are fouled up. Maybe just maybe all they have to do is re-adjust the setting... waiting laugh

Vettelover wrote:
Hey!!! maybe the lighthouse is on a timer and the timer settings are fouled up. Maybe just maybe all they have to do is re-adjust the setting... waiting laugh

Maybe they should get the guys that do the Osborne lights on it. I'm sure they could figure it out! biggrin

The Colonel's picture

KenJ wrote:
Vettelover wrote:

Maybe they should get the guys that do the Osborne lights on it. I'm sure they could figure it out! biggrin

Probably the same problem with the Yeti. It's not plugged in or something. Anyway, good to see the light on!

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

MAMouse's picture

Hey guys! Ken, I was just walking down the Boardwalk when a seagull almost stole my ice cream! Had to fend him off, which resulted in the majority of the ice cream ending on the ground. Anyway, hope you guys are enjoying the 55 degree weather today.

Old Key West 2016
Beach Club 2015
Boardwalk Villas 2014
Saratoga 2013

Third Week in February for Life

Some pics taken during Keys to the Kingdom tour before the park opened for the day.

Then we heard the opening ceremony conclude at the front and people began to flood into the park.

After the tour, we wandered around MK for a bit.

VelcroPooh

Yay! Loving all the pics!

Eeyore's picture

Love the report! Weather looks nice!

JanJ's picture

Thanks everyone. It was a sunny day, but still cool, 14C (57F). It was really windy today.

Just having dinner at the Yachtsman steakhouse!!

The Colonel's picture

That damn crane!

The Colonel wrote:
That damn crane!

Yep. Its back! But I was glad to see that they did fold it up around noon so you couldn't see it anymore except for the one spot where I took the photo.

The Colonel wrote:
KenJ wrote:
Vettelover wrote:

Probably the same problem with the Yeti. It's not plugged in or something. Anyway, good to see the light on!

Colonel, I'm happy to report that the lighthouse is working tonight. I seriously believe Disney responded to your latest email because it hasn't been on the last 2 nights. Only this morning did we see it working and now tonight. It looks great!

I also had a close up look at it as we had dinner at the Yacht Club tonight. It is indeed a rotating beacon. I could see it lighting up the interior of the light room as it rotated.

Vettelover's picture

KenJ wrote:
The Colonel wrote:
KenJ wrote:
Vettelover wrote:

Colonel, I'm happy to report that the lighthouse is working tonight. I seriously believe Disney responded to your latest email because it hasn't been on the last 2 nights. Only this morning did we see it working and now tonight. It looks great!

I also had a close up look at it as we had dinner at the Yacht Club tonight. It is indeed a rotating beacon. I could see it lighting up the interior of the light room as it rotated.

congrats Colonel YOU quite possibly made it happen. Just don't let it go to your head. laugh laugh

Okay, so after being somewhat disappointed with my steak at The Flying Fish the other night, we decided to try The Yachtsman Steakhouse. This was our first time there ever.

Let me just say that I had, hands down, the best prime rib not only at Disney World, but in general! Absolutely delicious. I think we'll be dining there again before our trip is over. That restaurant has jumped to the top of my list of favourites! awesome

JanJ's picture

Love the Yachtsman steakhouse - easily the best steak we have had on property ever and the best meal so far this trip. I had the filet and Ken had the prime rib. A couple of pics below - excuse the resolution as I used my iPhone. The first is my dinner and the second pic is of Ken's sorbet trio for dessert. Yummy! awesome

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg654.17 KB
image.jpg
image.jpg616.55 KB

MAMouse wrote:
Hey guys! Ken, I was just walking down the Boardwalk when a seagull almost stole my ice cream! Had to fend him off, which resulted in the majority of the ice cream ending on the ground. Anyway, hope you guys are enjoying the 55 degree weather today.

Haha! Yes, I now know exactly what that's like. Those seagulls are really aggressive. I don't recall seeing any seagulls when we were here in September. I guess they fly south to Florida for the winter!

Regarding the weather, we admittedly came unprepared for these cold temps. Yes, it's much better than at home, but it's still quite cold. I'm actually colder here because I'm outside all day whereas at home, I'd be inside in warmth or in front of my fireplace.

Anyway, we broke down and bought new Helly Hansen jackets tonight because I think we're gonna need them. It's supposed to warm up marginally in the next few days.

The Colonel's picture

Disney found out, as my wife and kids learned years ago, sometimes it's easier to give me what I want then to listen to me.

MrHub's picture

Might be our first ever cold week in Disney, oh well, we'll be warm in spirit! Great pics.

disneydoc's picture

mrhub wrote:
Might be our first ever cold week in Disney, oh well, we'll be warm in spirit! Great pics.

Hope you packed some warm clothes! Or darn it, you will be forced to go shopping. I "had" to buy a windbreaker in November. mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

MrHub's picture

disneydoc wrote:
mrhub wrote:

Hope you packed some warm clothes! Or darn it, you will be forced to go shopping. I "had" to buy a windbreaker in November. mickey

Oh well, new Disney wardrobe!

disneydoc's picture

mrhub wrote:
disneydoc wrote:
mrhub wrote:

Oh well, new Disney wardrobe!

Yes - how bad can that be? Thinking of you guys as you travel. Be safe. mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker