Jess's trip report 11/13/11- 11/19/11

Login to post comments
45 posts / 0 new
Jess's picture
Jess's trip report 11/13/11- 11/19/11

Well this Disney trip has definately been different from others that we have taken in the past mainly because we had several snags happen today that we have never had happen before. The first was when we got to the airport this morning they informed us that Brooklin needed a ticket...We didn't buy her one because we were under the impression that children 2 and under were free...Well I guess it's actually children under 2 who are free. So we had to get her a ticket...at first they were wanting us to pay close to 700 dollars for just her which is more then we payed for all our other tickets combined. I was also worried that we wouldn't all be able to get on the same flight but we were able to and Brooklin did great. She loved riding on the plane although she kept asking where Mickey was. Our flight actually got in about 15 mins ahead of schedule. When we got to the resort our room wasn't ready yet. By that time it was about 3:30 and we had a 6:30 dinner reservation at Whispering Canyon so we hopped on the bus and went to DTD for a little while first because we didnt' have park passes for today.

DTD was absolutely packed...I'm assuming due to the Festival of the Masters and the fact that it was a weekend. We did some shopping, bought some pins, and I tried to get the pics that you guys requested. Then we headed to Wilderness Lodge for our ADR.

We had never been to Wilderness Lodge before and it was absolutely beautiful. It was designed by the same person who did Animal Kingdom Lodge so they looked very similar. I could definately see myself staying there in the future. They also had a lot of really good pins in their pin book to trade and on the cast members who work there. We got their about 5:30 in hopes that they might seat us early for our ADR. No such luck...and it was actually after 6:45 when they finally sat us and our ADR was for 6:30.

Now on to the goods that I know everyone wants to know about...Whispering Canyon Cafe....it was an amazing experience and one of our families new favorite restaurants here. Everything was superb from the atmosphere, to the food, and the waitstaff. Our waiters name was Gepetto...Well because he looked like Gepetto from Pinocho. He had this very dry sense of humor and it was part of the gig to be over the top and act out there. Well he sure did play the part well. We told him when we come back that we want him to be our waiter again and he said you can actually request certain waitstaff when you put in your ADR for those who didn't know.

Food wise I decided to go with the all you can eat skillet.
Mase and my mother in law decided on this one was well, while my father in law went with the New York Strip. The skillet came with cornbread, salad, chicken, ribs, brisket, mashed potatoes, and baked beans and was beyond good. And this is coming from the girl who is not a big meat or BBQ fan. My father in law who had the New York Strip said it was the best steak he had ever gotten at Disney before. For dessert I had the apple pie. It was good but I didn't love it. The crust didn't taste like cookie like I expected it to and the apples weren't done enough to my liking. My mother in law had the bread pudding and Mase got the chocolate cake and both were good. Whispering Canyon definately got my families seal of approval

Evan asked for a refill on water and they made him go back to the kitchen and carry out this big mason jar to drink out of

And here is our waiter singing evan happy birthday

After supper we came back AKL...to find out that one of our suitcases was missing...Luckily they were able to find it and it will be delievered tomorrow

Here's a link to all the photos we took on my facebook if you want to see them

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2401224083042.2125039.1624270717&type=1&l=327d535712

Kris1971's picture

Great Day 1 report, Jess. It makes me want to be there again. It was only last month that we were there, and it already seems too long ago! Have fun!

Kristen K.'s picture

How delicious! That skillet looks *SO* good! I made reservations for breakfast there in February and I can't wait! I think it's been about 10 years since I've been over to WL to eat. Oh my gosh, I'm so hungry after reading this post! laugh

Vettelover's picture

By coincidence Gepetto was our waiter when we visited WCC with Subvet during our visit last week. Very good waiter and quite a character.

Great report! Whispering Canyon is awesome for kids and the food is really delicious! Wonderful pictures too! We LOVE WL. We stayed there 2 yrs ago. When you first drive up and see the lodge come into view, it takes your breath away. The music when you walk just engulfs you in that whole "Wild West" feel. The lobby is beyond goregous and so many interesting things to see. So glad you went there! Now you'll definately have to stay one time.

We've never been to Wilderness Lodge, so now I am adding it to my plans for our April visit! It looks awesome!

I have to say that skillet does look really good!! Dang!

Mase's picture

JeffC wrote:
We've never been to Wilderness Lodge, so now I am adding it to my plans for our April visit! It looks awesome!

I have to say that skillet does look really good!! Dang!

Get it and conquer it man. That thing was soooooooooooooooooo flipping good! I almost want to cancel one of our ADR's this week just so we can go there again. It was that good! Im not big on the crazy environment. I think its false advertising when the place is called Whispering Canyon. It was far from a whisper there.... lol biggrin

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Jess's picture

Day 2- Monday 11/14

Today we got up and went to Hollywood Studios to start out the day. We got there at about 10:30-11:00 and the overall crowd wasn't to bad. The first thing we did was do a meet and greet with several of the characters around the area of the sorcerers hat. Last year Brooklin liked seeing the characters but wanted me to stay right there with her so I was interested to see how she would do this year. Oh my gosh she loved every minute of it. She wasn't shy at all about running right up to them and giving them hugs and talking to them. I think it helped that this year she actually knew who the characters were. I think her biggest hang up with the whole thing was she couldn't understand why they wouldn't talk to her...when in the shows and movies they can talk.

After that we headed and rode the great movie ride. After that we decided it was about lunch time so we headed back to the same place we always eat a counter service lunch at when we are at Hollywood Studios....Pizza Planet. The pizza was the same old same old but I got the cappucino cupcake...which was a first for me...and you all know I am on a cupcake mission this trip.....it was to die for...Jeff if you haven't had one yet it is a must try.

After lunch we headed over to watch Muppet Vision 3D which Brooklin loved. She just kept screaming awesome...awesome through the whole thing. We also got to do alot of pin trading today which of course is always a blast.

After Muppet Vision 3D it was on to Star Tours. The one thing I can't figure out about that ride is that even after the redo there was still no line. And let me tell you...for those people who haven't ridden it since it has been changed...the new version is awesome. The 3D was good in it, although not overly used, and the fact that you can go through several different scenarios makes it awesome as well. We did it two times in a row back to back and got a different scene both times. It is definately much better now that they re made it.

After Star Tours my father in law and Evan decided to come back to the hotel to go swimming and we decided to stay at Hollywood Studios so Brooklin could see the Pixar parade. Brooklin is a Pixar fanatic and all her favorite characters were in the parade so she loved it. After the parade we did some more meet and greets with monsters inc and buzz and woody. It was such a great feeling as a parent to see brooklin get so excited for everything. Then the awesome thing happened. We had stopped a cast member to look at her pins....well after we were all done trading she asked us if we had ridden toy story mania yet. We said no...cause of how insanely long the line is and the fact that you have to get there right away at the beginning of the day to get a fast pass before they sell out. Well she gave us a fast pass that was good for any ride in the park at any time so we went ahead and used it for toy story mania. Got to love disney Smile

After that we hopped the boat and headed over to Epcot cause we had a dinner reservation for Teppan Edo. We ate their last year so we knew what to expect...and knew it was going to be awesome. I got the Tori, which is chicken and the chocolate ginger cake for dessert. The cook was awesome as usual and the food was good. Love the white sauce they give you to use for anyone who hasn't ate there before, it's kind of like a mayonaise...and it's good.

Well seeing as how it's 2 am and i have to be up at 7 am I am going to go for now and will post the link to the photo album with the rest of the pics tomorrow once I get them all uploaded

Love your day to day report. Makes us feel like we're there with you. Awesome pictures! Keep em' coming! Look forward to this each morning now.

emmaanne's picture

first, that cupcake looks AMAZING!!! I MUST try one!! And also I showed the DH your skillet at Whispering Canyon, he made me change one of our ADRs to there! lol.

I am loving your trip report and all the photos!!! So exciting! I know you guys are having an amazing time!! =)

November 14-18, 2019 | All Star Movies

March 2-10, 2012 | Pop | Trip Report - http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/ems-long-awaited-trip-report

CUPCAKE!!!!

muchlove muchlove muchlove muchlove muchlove muchlove

Jess's picture

I finally got the rest of Day 2's pictures uploaded to facebook so here's the link to the album...and you don't have to have facebook to be able to see them

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2406461093964.2125114.1624270717&type=1&l=74c77a4d76

Jess's picture

Today we started out the day with rope drop at Magic Kingdom. It was pretty cool and Brooklin loved seeing it. After the gates opened we went straight to the new Mickey meet and greet and princess meet and greet in the town square theater. We were first in line for Mickey and when we got back there Minnie happened to be in there with him. Brooklin was over the moon seeing them. And I love the new theming of it and how it's inside in airconditioning and you are in your own little room and they actually spend some time with you. After Minnie and Mickey we hit up Sleeping Beauty, Belle, and Cinderella and Snow white as well in another location. They made Brooklin feel like a little princess and even left lipstick kisses on her cheek which she was so proud of. LOL. After that we headed to Fantasy land to ride some rides. We did Snow Whites Scary Adventure since it will be closing down and also hit up the carousel, Philharmagic, and It's a Small World. There were next to no lines for anything. Somethings said 15-20 minutes but for the rides the longest I think we waited was 5 mins. Brooklin loved all the rides we rode today and just wanted to keep riding them over and over again. We were also able to see the construction they were doing in Fantasy Land. Belle's castle is really coming along nicely. I forgot to grab pics but if we are back over there before we leave I will be sure to grab some

We had lunch at Columbia Harbor House. It's located right across from the Haunted Mansion for those who aren't familiar with this restaurant. It's our go to quick serve when we are in Magic Kingdom and it has never let us down. After that we went and rode the haunted mansion and did the new interactive queue. It was cool...but I don't think it was amazing. And was only something we would do once. Also we noticed that in the actual ride they changed somethings which was cool to see....the same goes with Pirates, which we rode next. I don't want to give anything away cause I don't want to spoil it for people but it was good to see them change things up.

After that we rode Aladdin's flying carpets and the jungle cruise. And sense we were in Adventure land of course we got a dole whip. I got a dole whip float and it was awesome as always. I love how the dolewhip counts as a snack credit. Then we left Adventureland and headed over to Futureland. We got our picture taken with Stitch and rode the people mover and buzz lightyear twice and also did the Monster's Inc laugh floor. After that we decided to head out to Hollywood Studios because that was where our ADR was so we hopped the boat and headed that way.

Once we got to Hollywood Studios Evan wanted to ride Star Tours a couple more times so we did that and Muppet's 3D again for Brooklin. Our dinner reservation was for 6:10 at Mama Melrose but we decided to go early and see if they could seat us. And they could...they ended up seating us close to an hour early. I love italian food so this is one of my favorite restaurants so far. And it was very speedy when it came to getting our food. I had the penne alla vodka and it was so delicious. Mase had the steak and enjoyed it and my mother in law got the chicken parmagean and said it was good as well. For dessert some of us got the cheesecake and some of us got the cannoli cake and both were phemonimal. I definately recommend for you guys to try there if you haven't already. Then we finished off the night by buying different mickey ears for the whole family and going to watch the Osbourne family spectacle of dancing lights.

Cheesecake

Cannoli cake

Steak

Penne Alla Vodka

Chicken Parm

Here's my photo album link for today:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2411452738752.2125176.1624270717&type=1&l=9c912a37fb

Really enjoyed your report. That "Alla Vodka" dish looks mouthwateringly out of this world yummy! What do you eat at "Columbia Harbor House"? Did anyone try the new "Lobster Roll"?

Glad you are having a wonderful time!

OH HOW FUN!! (I think I've said that 47 times now - but I can't help it!!!!)

I love that family pic with the ears - that's a keeper and it looks and sounds like the kids are having so much fun! (Yes, I include Mase in the kids count - he's just one big kid! Haha Tongue)

Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!

I'm glad you had a good experience at Mama Melroses - for a few years it was really hit & miss for us. But aeverything looks and sounds great. YAY!!!

Lizzy_B's picture

Great TR, Jess! I love the pics from inside the Mickey meet and greet. We haven't done it yet!

Poppet wrote:
Really enjoyed your report. That "Alla Vodka" dish looks mouthwateringly out of this world yummy! What do you eat at "Columbian Harbor House"? Did anyone try the new "Lobster Roll"?

Poppet, DH actually had the lobster roll last Fri - it was pretty good. He's picky, and he was happy with it.

Thanks Lizzy! Good to know. It looked good from the pics of first being introduced but we all know that looks can be deceiving.....

We will definately have to try Columbia Harbor House on our next trip. Somehow we always end up at Peco Bill's or Village Haus. Keep forgeting it's there in Liberty Square.

JoAnn C's picture

Great trip report. Your Tuesday sounds a lot like my day today. We were at MK today followed by HS. We rode a lot of the same rides at MK as you did.

Jess's picture

Poppet wrote:
Really enjoyed your report. That "Alla Vodka" dish looks mouthwateringly out of this world yummy! What do you eat at "Columbia Harbor House"? Did anyone try the new "Lobster Roll"?

We didn't get the Lobster roll...I don't like Lobster...In the past I have gotten the sandwich that has hummus on it and this year I got the chicken broccoli salad. I like them both.

Jess's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
Great trip report. Your Tuesday sounds a lot like my day today. We were at MK today followed by HS. We rode a lot of the same rides at MK as you did.

Hmmmm wonder if we were on any of the same rides at the same time

Jess's picture

Well i think staying up till 2 in the morning is catching up to me. So I think you guys are going to have to wait until tomorrow for me to continue my trip report. I hate to do that to you cause I know you all are enjoying it so much but please forgive me. LOL.

Get some shut eye! You need to rejuvinate for more fun!!!

Reflections's picture

Thanks for the report. We're going in mid-December and can't wait. I'm living through your reports right now.

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

Jess's picture

Ok so I epically failed ypu guys... It was just to hard staying up till two in the morning every nightTo do it...so you Guys probably won't have anymore until we get home... But I promise I will finish it out. Just have to remember it all

MrHub's picture

Jess are you kidding me? You did an amazing job on your report. I'm surprised you lasted that long and you have kids with you! Believe me no one thinks you failed. Heck I'm still trying to get our trip report done from October. There are just so many hours in a day. This has been the most "live, report as you go" trip report that I have ever seen. "Epic" I might say. You two should be proud of yourselves.

mrhub wrote:
Jess are you kidding me? You did an amazing job on your report. I'm surprised you lasted that long and you have kids with you! Believe me no one thinks you failed. Heck I'm still trying to get our trip report done from October. There are just so many hours in a day. This has been the most "live, report as you go" trip report that I have ever seen. "Epic" I might say. You two should be proud of yourselves.

Yeah, what hubs said! This was SO MUCH FUN! Between your reports and Mase's eating bonanza, I've never had so much Disney fun without actually being there myself!

So have fun and finish it up when you get back! muchlove

Bella's picture

Oh. my. goodness! So much to say..

First of all $700 for a flipping two year old?? Ridiculous..thank goodness you didn't have to pay that!

Second, that skillet..oh my gosh. I counted and it's been over SIX years since I've had that. I want it..and I want it now! Your pictures have me drooling!

Third...your family is so stinkin' cute!!

Fourth...you rest and enjoy yourself! But don't forget to tell us all about it when you get home!

mickey Bella

Jess's picture

Day four-

Today we got up and went to Epcot. We got there later in the morning so we started out by getting fast passes for soarin and getting lunch at the food court that is in the land pavillion. We had never eaten there before but it was really good. Me and hubby both got Chinese dishes and we both really enjoyed them. After lunch we still had some time till it was time for our fast pass so we went and rode figment and then rode Nemo twice cause Brooklin absolutely loved it. We then went and rode Soarin. After soarin we went and did club cool.....Beverly was nasty...LOL...and rode spaceship earth. After that we went and saw the characters in the Epcot character spot and then headed over to world showcase. We rode the ride in the mexican pavillion and then headed back to catch the boat over to the Yacht club because we had an ADR at the Captain's Grille. Out of all the restaurants we ate at this week this was my least favorite. I had the pan roasted chicken with white beans..it was good it's just not my favorite type of food. Hubby had the steak and it was his favorite steak out of all the steaks he had. MIL and FIL and Evan had the crab legs and of course loved them. Dessert was very good as well....other then the fact that it took 45 mins to get to us and the waiter took our dessert order at the beginning of the meal. I think that was our biggest complaint of the whole trip....the majority of our service wasn't the best and it took forever for dessert....you know they don't make it right then and there so why is it so hard to just go in the back and get it....i know they are guaranteed their gratuity because we are a table of 6 but they could at least try and do a good job for it.

After dinner we decided to go back to Epcot and watch fireworks because Brooklin had been requesting to see fireworks all day. So we walked around World showcase for a little bit. Hubby and mother in law went and got some snacks at the bakery in france. I knew I wanted to go to the caramel place in epcot because of all of your guys recommendations so I went there and got and apple pie carmel apple and a chocolate and caramel covered strawberry. The strawberry was very good but I wasn't really a fan of the apple. I think it was the kind I got. I think it was covered in white chocolate, caramel, and cinnamon. I think if i would of just gotten a regular caramel apple I would of liked it better. We then rode Norway to kill some more time.

We watched Reflections but I wasn't very impressed.....the fireworks were pretty good but there wasn't very many of them and i thought all the other stuff was pretty boring. I'm just going to link to my albums for now cause i'm going to go back and post photos in different places around the board anyways later on

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2417644533543.2125245.1624270717&type=1&l=48ec4a8922

Jess's picture

Day 5-

Today we got up and went to Animal Kingdom....it started out as a drizzly cloudy day which was perfect for animal kingdom since it's always so darn hot over there. It was also cool to get up and see that they put the tree up in the lobby of our hotel. It's crazy that you go to bed the night before and it's not up and then you wake up and it's there. We went to flame tree BBQ for lunch. Hubby got the chicken which he said was good. I got a salad and wasn't to thrilled with it. After that we headed to Dino land. Took brooklin on the triceratops ride twice while Hubby went to ride Everest...it was his first time every riding it and he said he really liked it. Then hubby took Brooklin to meet pluto and goofy dressed up as Santa while I took Evan on Primeval whirl. It really was alot of fun but I love rides that spin like that. After that we went and rode Dinosaur and then headed over to do the Safari. On they way there we found Miss Devine and stopped and let Brooklin play the drums in Africa. We really enjoyed the Safari....that was the first time we had done it where we had really saw alot of animals. They were all out....and the giraffe's were literally right up at the side of the vehicle. Brooklin thought it was so cool. After that we headed out cause that's really all there is for us to do there. But here's a secret for all you pin traders out there. If you go over to the stroller rental place they have a pin stoller with tons of pins on it that you can trade from. We got back to our resort just in time to trade with King Pin in the gift shop...We all pulled two pins out of his mystery bag..it was alot of fun...and he remembered Evan from the first day we were there and called him Brave Evan...so evan got a kick out of it that he remembered him. We spent the afternoon swimming in the pool before heading out to our ADR at Ohana. It was very cool being at the Poly knowing that that is where mr.hub and scrappy stay. Ohana was very good and I loved the atomosphere. I would definatley recommend everyone to do it. I think the only thing we didn't care for was the pork. And the bread pudding for dessert was delicious....and I don't usually like bread pudding. After we left the poly we took the monorail to the magic kingdom to catch the bus back to our resort. Just as we were getting off the monorail the fireworks were starting and we could see them overtop the mainstreet USA train station. It was a really cool site to see and we were able to avoid the crowds which was awesome.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2422277489364.2125324.1624270717&type=1&l=14a98f6a88

Jess's picture

Day 6-

We got up and headed to rope drop at Hollywood Studios. We were pretty disappointed that they didn't do anything special for it after hearing you guys talk about how cool it was when you had been to rope drop. We headed straight back to toystory mania so we could ride it as did the rest of the park...it was mass chaos....the line of fast passes instantly got long and i knew if we waited in line to get fast passes they wouldn't be good till the afternoon and we were planning on being out of there before noon so we just went and got in line...it said it was a 50 minute wait but it was really only 25 mins and wasn't bad at all because the line was constantly moving. After that we went over and rode Star tours again and then me and hubby headed to tower of terror....All week the line for tower of terror had not been more then 10 mins long. Well we ended up waiting for about an hour for it but there was no way i wasn't going to ride it after I finally convinced myself to...and you all know how that went from the video. After that we stopped at Starring Roles cafe so I could get the red velvet cheesecake cupcake cause I certaintly earned it. Hubby got the chocolate peanutbutter cupcake and we both enjoyed them very much. After that we headed over to Magic Kingdom to finish some stuff up. Both parks that day were the most crowded we had seen them all week. I had a chili dog from Cosmic Rays and hubby had pizza from Village Haus and they were both good. We waited in line for like an hour to see Rapunzel and then went and rode Winnie the Pooh and it's a small world. After that we went and saw Jessie and Woody by Splash Mountain. Hubby was really wanting to ride Haunted Mansion and Pirates again but at the point he was just so tired from all week that we just decided to take the train back to the entrance and head back to the hotel. We were about an hour and a half early for our ADR but decided to see if they could take us since me and hubby were going out that evening and they said they could. That was the good thing about our ADR's...alot of the places took us early since we were there which was nice. So we had supper at Boma which we all know was good. After that me and hubby went out for a date night...which we had never been kid free at Disney before...so it was alot of fun. We went to Epcot and the boardwalk. Epcot had EMH's that night so it was open till midnight. We went in every shop in the world showcase and did tons of pin trading. The only ride we rode was spaceship earth because at that point it was the end of the week and we were both so tired and sore and it was close to midnight anyways. But we did really enjoy having the time to ourselves and definatly showed us that we could probably do a trip minus kids. we are going to try and hit up the inlaws to give us their points for the trip that they go on in may for our 10 year anniversary so we can go by ourselves....it's still 3 years away though so we have time to work on them Smile

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2436273159247.2125590.1624270717&type=1&l=86fa292eae

Jess's picture

Day 7-

Leaving day Sad This year we actually had a really late flight out in the evening but we didn't have passes to a park that day so we went to downtown disney to finish up some shopping and had lunch at Wolfgang Pucks....it was delicious. After that it was back to the hotel to board the Magical Express back to go to the airport and back home. It was so much fun being a part of this forum for this trip. This was our first time being there since joining here and you guys made the trip all that much more great.

Main bullet points and pros and cons from the trip.....

It was a great trip overall...although looking back on it I feel like there was alot of stuff we didn't get done. We spent alot of time in line to see all the characters, which brooklin loved, and that's what made it worth it....but hopefully she got it out of her system and we won't have to do so much next year. Although she loved the rides and that was another hard part was the fact that there were some rides like roller coasters and stuff that she wanted to ride but she was to little.

Pin trading- we had an absolute blast with this. Last year was the first year we did it but we didn't start doing it till like the day before we left so we didn't get to do much. This year we came prepared and took down close to 200 pins to trade and we ended up running out...so next time I think we are going to look at taking 500 down. It was just so much fun choosing a certain set that is out and trying to complete the set with trading. Evan and Brooklin both completed two different sets and I completed one and hubby was one short of completing his. I think this was both mine and hubbys favorite thing we did while we were down there and I'm sad I have to wait another year to do it again.

This year we decided to put all our spending money on gift cards. We got different looking giftcards so we could tell them apart between me, hubby, and the kids. And hubby got an app on his phone that kept track of the totals and automatically took it off as soon as we bought something. This was a great way to do it and it was nice not having to worry about the cash or about using our bank card or credit card.

Cupcakes- As you all know I was on a cupcake mission....But with being on the dining plan and having dessert with lunch and dinner that was a hard thing to get accomplished. I managed to get three cupcakes in during my stay...the cappucino, the oreo, and the red velvet cupcake. Out of all of those my favorite was the cappucino, with the red velvet coming next and oreo coming in third. The cappucino cupcake was delicious and I recommend everyone trying it. We got it at Pizza planet in Hollywood studios...not sure if there is anywhere else you can get it though.

So there you have it....my brain is kind of fried....so if you guys have any specific questions about the vacation please feel free to ask...I do better with specific questions anyways...LOL