Mele Kalikimaka WDW Adventure 2015 - COMPLETED

Login to post comments
257 posts / 0 new
danijrod's picture

I have just caught up on your report and I know you posted it a while ago but what is that delightful looking dessert your wife had in her hands from Disney springs?

I love how your trip takes us on a journey with so much detail Smile

jrice4760's picture

Wow, your photos are great. I've enjoyed following this post.

While this may be a question for the photography forum, but would you mind describing your editing for these pics? It seems that you may use some HDR methods in some cases, but the overall look of your work is interesting.

JPR

juneau biscuits's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
I haven't seen many pictures of Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar. Thanks for posting. I hope to have a chance to check it out on my next trip.

I love the pictures of the carousel at night.

Definitely worth a visit JoAnn C! The menu is pretty interesting too.

danijrod wrote:
I have just caught up on your report and I know you posted it a while ago but what is that delightful looking dessert your wife had in her hands from Disney springs?

I love how your trip takes us on a journey with so much detail Smile

Hey danijrod....don't hold me to it, but I believe it's called a Garbage Pail. It's basically a mix of leftover goodies piled into a cup. They usually have it a tray of it right on top of the counter. We didn't actually try it and took a pic because it was so interesting. Reviews on the internet are positive, so it's probably worth a try!

Thank you for the comment...I wonder sometimes if some of the photos are a little too detailed specific.

jrice4760 wrote:
Wow, your photos are great. I've enjoyed following this post.

While this may be a question for the photography forum, but would you mind describing your editing for these pics? It seems that you may use some HDR methods in some cases, but the overall look of your work is interesting.

JPR

Thank you for the kind words jrice4760!

I'm really just learning post processing, so my methods are very elementary at this point. I do most of my editing in Lightroom. These are basic adjustments such as toning down highlights, bringing out shadows, and working with saturation levels, etc. For more detailed work such as removing unwanted things (like hair, blemishes, etc), blurring backgrounds, masking, etc., I'll go into Photoshop. For plug-ins, I use the Nik Collection for such things as soft focus, skin softener, and detail image extracting. I'm learning luminosity masks, dodge and burn, and other basic techniques, but it's a steep learning curve for me.

I did a lot of bracketing for HDR images last year, but stopped prior to visiting WDW. I was really misusing the technique by over saturating images so I decided to hold off for a while. I do plan to do some HDR shooting at Disneyland in July so I'll see how that goes.

Saturday, December 6th found us splitting the day between AK and HS. We enjoyed exploring more of Harambe Market, catching a live band performance and having coffee at pretty much the most beautiful Starbucks in the universe. We also took in Finding Nemo the Musical which ranks right up there with the Festival of the Lion King in terms of production values, performances, and musical numbers. AK's live shows are an embarrassment of riches for sure.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Africa Entrance 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Animal Kingdom 21 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Animal Kingdom 22 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Tamu Tamu Shop Front @ Disney's Animal Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Musical Performers in Harambe Market @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Musical Performers in Harambe Market @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Musical Performers in Harambe Market @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Musical Performers in Harambe Market @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Animal Totem Pole @ Disney's Animal Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Animal Totem @ Disney's Animal Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Finding Nemo-The Musical @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 08 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Finding Nemo-The Musical @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Finding Nemo-The Musical @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Finding Nemo-The Musical @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Finding Nemo-The Musical @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Finding Nemo-The Musical @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Finding Nemo-The Musical @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 10 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After the show, we grabbed some hot popcorn and made our way to a Meet and Greet with Mickey and Minnie. I thought all the photo ops with the Disney characters were great, but the backdrop for the AK shoot was gorgeous!

Popcorn Cart @ Disney's Animal Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Minnie, Len, Sue, & Mickey @ Animal Kingdom Meet & Greet Christmas 2015 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Minnie, Len, Sue, & Mickey @ Animal Kingdom Meet & Greet Christmas 2015 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Allie's picture

As usual, fantastic pictures! I'm really wishing we would have done the dessert party for Osbourne as it was a mad house when we were there! And I LOVE Finding Nemo the Musical. One of my favs!

JMed's picture

Just so you know, at least once or twice a day I catch myself singing Mele Kalikimaka! Santa

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

JoAnn C's picture

JMed wrote:
Just so you know, at least once or twice a day I catch myself singing Mele Kalikimaka! Santa

laugh you're not alone

Allie wrote:
As usual, fantastic pictures! I'm really wishing we would have done the dessert party for Osbourne as it was a mad house when we were there! And I LOVE Finding Nemo the Musical. One of my favs!

Thanks Allie! Yes, that reserved seating at the dessert party was a real life saver. No way I would have hung out in that area for 2-3 hours without that safe haven.

I can't remember, did Penny see the show too? Wondering if those sharks might be too intense for younger children...

JMed wrote:

Is it the Bing Crosby version you're hearing? laugh

JoAnn C wrote:
JMed wrote:

laugh you're not alone

I don't feel too bad now playing the occasional Christmas tune on my smartphone...

Towards the late afternoon, we made our way over to Hollywood Studios. Tower of Terror was one of our fast passes, but we took a leisurely stroll getting to the ride in order to enjoy and soak in the park atmosphere. There was a trio of performers engaging in a bit of a vaudeville act which really help to sell the studio atmosphere. Sue did her mad hatter thing with Monsters Inc. but she upped the ante by also trying on a tail... laugh! To keep in the spirit, Sue and I wound up doing a Meet and Greet with Sully and Mike near the Streets of America. Funny side note, when I first took Sue to WDW in 2004, we were walking in HS and ran across Sully coming out of a side entrance. I yelled "It's Sully!". My wife looked around and said "What is that blue creature thing over there!"... laugh(I made her sit down and watch the Pixar movie when we got back home)! At this point in the trip, I was getting pretty bold about asking cast members to pose for a photograph. My initial intention was to capture all the different costumes in the parks, but I found myself more interested in the faces. Ten years ago, my top priority would have been shooting dark rides and icons. Now, not so much. The people or cast members are such an integral part of the WDW experience that I enjoy processing those images the most at the end of the day.

Disney's Hollywood Studios Cast Members-Duo Performers by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Hollywood Studios Cast Members-Steven by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Out For A Bite @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Chewbacca Chocolate Coconut Cupcake by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Star Wars Cupcakes...I guess Gingerbread is part of the Empire by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Santa Mickey Cupcakes @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Chewbacca Mug @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Garden Statue @ The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Cast Member Stephanie @ Tower of Terror by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Lobby @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Lobby @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Lobby @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Hollywood Studios Cast Members-Mariana by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Mad SueHatter 16 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Mad SueHatter 17 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Hats or (Sully) Tails 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Monsters Inc Meet & Greet w:Mike, Len, Sue, & Sully by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

I love the inside of the Tower of Terror! I wish there was a chance to look around more at everything, I guess there is all kinds of hidden things in there both Disney and from the Twilight Zone tv show! There is on Disney Wedding Photo Shoot that I have seen of the couple in lobby and stuff, it was beautiful, I couldn't even begin to imagine how much they had to pay for it though! eek

juneau biscuits wrote:
JMed wrote:

I'm with JMed and yes...it's the Bing Crosby version!

Allie's picture

juneau biscuits wrote:
Allie wrote:

Thanks Allie! Yes, that reserved seating at the dessert party was a real life saver. No way I would have hung out in that area for 2-3 hours without that safe haven.

I can't remember, did Penny see the show too? Wondering if those sharks might be too intense for younger children...

She didn't, she was napping when we went to see it, but knowing her temperament I wouldn't expect her to get frightened by the sharks. Every kid is different though, I guess. We're planning on trying to hit Finding Nemo with her when we're there in April.

FutureMrsHurst wrote:
I love the inside of the Tower of Terror! I wish there was a chance to look around more at everything, I guess there is all kinds of hidden things in there both Disney and from the Twilight Zone tv show! There is on Disney Wedding Photo Shoot that I have seen of the couple in lobby and stuff, it was beautiful, I couldn't even begin to imagine how much they had to pay for it though! eek

Agreed, the detailing in the lobby is incredible! I could probably spend hours just examining stuff. I bet to shoot in that lobby for a wedding would cost at least 5 Gs?

TinkASL wrote:
juneau biscuits wrote:
JMed wrote:

LOL...that's what I hear too!

Allie wrote:
juneau biscuits wrote:
Allie wrote:

She didn't, she was napping when we went to see it, but knowing her temperament I wouldn't expect her to get frightened by the sharks. Every kid is different though, I guess. We're planning on trying to hit Finding Nemo with her when we're there in April.

Shoots, those sharks were freaking me out and I don't have any excuses... laugh

Kristen K.'s picture

juneau biscuits wrote:
JMed wrote:

There is no other version in my house. OK, Michael Buble' comes close, but Bing is King.

We did the Fantasmic dining package since it was Jesse's first time seeing the show. We chose the Hollywood Brown Derby as for our eats and the meal was fantastico! This was one of the rare times Sue and I ordered separate entrees (no way we could split the entrance ticket...hah), so I went with the Charred Filet of Beef. I can't remember what my wife ordered and the pic I took does nothing to solve the mystery. We both enjoyed the food and service, so it was another winner for us.

Fantasmic is a solidly produced show with some key cinematic scenes, abundant use of fireworks, and a showcase for some rarely seen characters. That being said, I never had an inclination to see it again after an initial viewing. Not sure why, it has a dramatic narrative, unlike the overrated World of Color and Maleficient still remains as one of Disney's greatest villains. Perhaps I'm too far away to feel connected to the story and events...or I'm just being a goofball.

The Hollywood Brown Derby Exterior @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Brown Derby Gingerbread Display @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

2016-01-30_10-22-51 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

2016-01-30_10-24-03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Fantasmic Sign @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Fantasmic Mickey Mouse @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Fantasmic Beauty and the Beast @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Fantasmic Maleficent Dragon @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Fantasmic Boat Finale @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

I ended the night by hopping over Star Tours and ToT to take a few photos of the area. Got scolded for going on the Jedi Academy stage...LOL..so my night was complete!

Star Tours AT-AT Walker @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Star Tours AT-AT Walker @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Exterior @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Hollywood Scoops Ice Cream Sign @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Kristen K. wrote:
juneau biscuits wrote:
JMed wrote:

There is no other version in my house. OK, Michael Buble' comes close, but Bing is King.

Agreed! A lot of folks say Frank Sinatra was the more versatile singer, but I prefer Bing's crooning seven days a week, and six times on Sunday.

Sunday, December 06th found us spending the day in Epcot with lunch reservations at Italy's Via Napoli Ristorante e Pizzeria (say that three times fast!)! The wood fire pizzas there were delicious and the service top notch. The place was incredibly crowded, so I highly recommend making reservations for this restaurant. And hey, seeing those open mouth faces double as stoves is worth the price of admission alone!

Pizza @ Epcot Italy's Via Napoli 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pizza @ Epcot Italy's Via Napoli 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Via Napoli Ristorante e Pizzeria Kitchen @ EPCOT by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Dining Area @ Via Napoli in Epcot's Italy Pavillion 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Dining Area @ Via Napoli in Epcot's Italy Pavillion 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Beverage Dispensers @ Via Napoli in Epcot's Italy Pavillion by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Decorative Bottles @ Via Napoli in Epcot's Italy Pavillion by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Faces of EPCOT-Valentina of Italy by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

JMed's picture

juneau biscuits wrote:
TinkASL wrote:
juneau biscuits wrote:
JMed wrote:

LOL...that's what I hear too!

Is there another version??? laugh

Sue and I left Epcot in the late afternoon to check into our final resort for our WDW trip...Disney's The Wilderness Lodge! Now, Disney always loves to use that catchphrase..."Welcome home" as part of their advertising slogan. While it's mostly hype, it does apply to the feelings we have when first entering the lobby of this deluxe hotel. The Imagineers pulled out all the stops on this one, leaving no stone unturned. From the magnificent totem poles to the massive stone fireplace, Wilderness Lodge is a stunning tribute to those great rustic lodges of the past. A funny anecdote...I remember watching an episode of Family Matters eons ago where Urkel won a state science competition and was being sent to Florida to compete in the nationals. The family is put up at, yup...the Wilderness Lodge. I still can see Urkel at the entrance staring up at the lobby in disbelief (I'm pretty sure I have that same look on my face) and yammering "Did I do thattttt?"... laugh I actually thought the hotel was a TV prop built for this particular episode (there was no such thing as internet access at the time) and only found out it was real during the end credits.

How much do we love this hotel! Sue and I kept our schedule clear for the evening so we could actually enjoy the room! We picked up dinner at Roaring Fork so we could sit in the room. I eventually did leave the room at 3:30 in the morning to shoot the lobby. I nearly cried when the alarm went off, but once I was downstairs, the weariness dissipated at the sight of an empty hotel ready to be photographed. Other than Coronado Springs, this was the only resort I took time to shoot properly with a tripod.

Two points of interest...we no longer found those cute animal shaped towels in our room...something that was a regular during our last trip in 2004. I read somewhere that it was discontinued at the value hotels, but looks like it's true for the deluxe levels too. Lots of construction going on while we were here and our window view was a loser. But I did score a set of free pins...which I don't really collect.

Okay, I'm posting a lot of pics of the lodge so bear with me or scroll on!

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby Alternate View by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby Fisheye 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby 13 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby 10 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby Bridge by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby 12 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby 09 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby 11 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Wilderness Lodge Mercantile Totem by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Whispering Canyon Cafe Entrance by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Whispering Canyon Cafe Entrance Fisheye by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Whispering Canyon Cafe Dining Area by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Lobby 08 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/47919Karla @ The Wilderness Lodge 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Haley @ the Territory Lounge in Disney's Wilderness Lodge by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge "Under Construction" Pin by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Exterior 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

JMed's picture

awesome pins!!! I love the pics of the CMs I always want to snap pics of them but to shy to ask! How did you bring it up? What were the reactions?

JMed wrote:
awesome pins!!! I love the pics of the CMs I always want to snap pics of them but to shy to ask! How did you bring it up? What were the reactions?

Those pins are cute...but I would have preferred a discounted room rate... laugh At the beginning of the trip, I was just snapping cast members at a distance, but I found the photos are better if they're posing for the camera. I started going up to them and asking them for a picture somewhat hesitantly. But all of them were super nice and more than willing to accommodate me. When you think about it, they're no different than the cast members who dress up as Disney characters. They're playing a part, so saying no to a guest request would be out of character (but I still asked very politely). JMed...I'm going to go hogwild and photograph every cast member I come across in Disneyland this July... silly

Monday, December 07 brought us back to Hollywood Studios in the day. We wanted to scratch Rock 'N Rollercoaster off our list so that was our first ride of the day. I remember thinking back in 1996 that I wouldn't like this ride because Aerosmith and Disney seemed such a mismatch. But the entire ride and concept blew me away...from entering a recording studio session to grabbing a limo in a parking garage. The 0-60 acceleration at the beginning of the ride has yet to be topped by anything else in Disney.

Sue & Len @ Rock N' Rollercoaster Disney Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster @ Disney's Hollywood Studios Exterior 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster @ Disney's Hollywood Studios Exterior 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster @ Disney's Hollywood Studios Exterior 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Aerosmith Rock 'N' Roller Coaster @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Aerosmith Rock 'N' Roller Coaster @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Aerosmith Recording Studio @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Aerosmith Rock 'N' Roller Coaster @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Aerosmith Rock 'N' Roller Coaster @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After having our stomachs abused, we wanted to treat our tummies to something nice so it was off to Sci-Fi Dine In for lunch! Along with 50's Prime Time Cafe, HS has two of the best themed restaurants in all of WDW. There is nothing that disappoints about this restaurant, except for the food. I was unimpressed with our meal in 2004, the burgers were dry, fries stale, and shakes half melted. What a turn around on this trip! Juicy tasty burgers, hot crispy fries, and thick malts made this the perfect experience. And what can you say about the immersive theming? I'll let the pictures do the talking...

Disney's Sci-Fi Dine In 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Sci-Fi Dine In 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Sci-Fi Dine In 08 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Sci-Fi Dine In 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Sci-Fi Dine In 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Milk Shakes @ Disney's 50's Prime Time Cafe by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Sci-Fi Dine In 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Sci-Fi Dine In 07 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

juneau biscuits wrote:
FutureMrsHurst wrote:

Agreed, the detailing in the lobby is incredible! I could probably spend hours just examining stuff. I bet to shoot in that lobby for a wedding would cost at least 5 Gs?

I bet it is right up there!

http://whiterabbitphotoboutique.com/blog/2014/10/tower-of-terror-wedding-photos/
Here is a site I found that had a few bridal parties that did it. Pretty awesome they even rode the ride as a bridal party!

I love your photos of the Wilderness Lodge my favorite resort!

FutureMrsHurst wrote:
juneau biscuits wrote:
FutureMrsHurst wrote:

I bet it is right up there!

http://whiterabbitphotoboutique.com/blog/2014/10/tower-of-terror-wedding-photos/
Here is a site I found that had a few bridal parties that did it. Pretty awesome they even rode the ride as a bridal party!

I love your photos of the Wilderness Lodge my favorite resort!

That wedding party at ToT is unbelievable! If I had the money, I'd do it (although my wife is not a big Disney fan).

How about getting married in the lobby of Wilderness Lodge???