Mrhub & Scrappy's May 2012 Trip to see the mouse!

Login to post comments
93 posts / 0 new
Vettelover's picture

I'm late in responding but hope you enjoyed it.

salejune's picture

I'm going to have to try that dole whip when we go in December!

MrHub's picture

Okay to start out, I was testing some stuff with Brads permission.

I made up some shirts with the WDWForGrownUps Logo on them to wear and advertise the website. The yellow shirt also has a QR code on it that when scanned with a smart phone, will take you to the home page of WDWForGrownUps. Also I made up some stickers that I put on my back pack and on some of my shirts at times. They were for this web site, the Facebook site and the Twitter site. The QR codes are all the rage around our area at home, you can find them on just about everything and for just about anything!

Apparently they don't see them much anywhere else because I only had a few cast members ask me about the shirt and if it was a real QR code. So it was just an experiment, and apparently a failure, but oh well! I had fun doing it anyway.

PreviewAttachmentSize
p5210087.jpg
p5210087.jpg71.38 KB
p5210088.jpg
p5210088.jpg98.99 KB
100_2059.jpg
100_2059.jpg78.25 KB
picture2.jpg
picture2.jpg43.34 KB
Jess's picture

Awesome....love the shirt

MrHub's picture

Well on with the trip report. We arrived Saturday evening and checked into the Hampton Inn, then headed right to the Magic Kingdom. We parked at the Polynesian Resort and took a shuttle boat from the marina.

Jess's picture

Love that picture Smile

Jessi5989's picture

I went to the Poly last night to get a dole whip and I kept thinking I was gonna walk around any corner and see you guys! From being on here so much I feel like you guys must live there. laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Jess's picture

Jessi5989 wrote:
I went to the Poly last night to get a dole whip and I kept thinking I was gonna walk around any corner and see you guys! From being on here so much I feel like you guys must live there. laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

So I take it that mean's you have arrived at Disney?

Jessi5989's picture

Jess wrote:
Jessi5989 wrote:

So I take it that mean's you have arrived at Disney?

yep! I'm here! I'm having some delay on filling out my paperwork due to Fed-ex not delivering my SS card on time, but I have another appointment to fill out my paperwork next Saturday. Everything is going pretty well other than that!

WyckedPhoenix's picture

That so neat! I see QR codes all the time around here. I scanned the code off my computer screen with my QR app and it worked fast, now the site is save in my history, haha. Such a neat advertising idea!

*Jennifer Lynn* NDW #38

Check out my blog at Jennifer's Disney Adventures

Vettelover's picture

Love the shirts, Love the logo and love the QR codes, fantastic idea. Very very creative.

MrHub's picture

We got into the park and went right to the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom booth behind the Chrstmas Shop to get our first set of cards and get started.

We then went to our ADR at the Castle for dinner. We checked in and then got our picture with Cinderella.

This was Christopher, our server. He was a pretty awesome guy!

Our table was a window seat so we had a pretty spectacular view of Fantasy Land.

And with my zoom I got some nice shots!

MrHub's picture

Our dinner was very good. I had the Pork Three Ways and Scrappy had the Roasted Beef Tenderloin.

For dessert we both had the Sugar Free Sorbet with fresh fruit which was excellent!

Molitva's picture

the only thing that looks better than the fantasy land progress is that sorbet! yum!!!

JoAnn C's picture

Awesome shirt!

I read a comment on the Disney Food Blog that someone saw a sign for a soft opening for "Be Our Guest" starting May 15. Was it open while you were there?

MrHub's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
Awesome shirt!

I read a comment on the Disney Food Blog that someone saw a sign for a soft opening for "Be Our Guest" starting May 15. Was it open while you were there?

No, they are still doing major work around there, I doubt very much they are ready for that yet, but ....................

Sammy Bizzle's picture

you know you took a good picture when after I saw the sorbet I walked a few blocks to the grocery store to get some sorbet of my own! The new castle in fantasy land looks awesome! Cant wait to see all of it up and running! Looking forward to more pictures!

That's Mr. Evil Dr. Porkchop To You!

WyckedPhoenix's picture

Great pictures! I have to agree with everyone, that sorbet looks sooo yummy.

*Jennifer Lynn* NDW #38

Check out my blog at Jennifer's Disney Adventures

Kristen K.'s picture

Fantastic pictures! Thanks so much for sharing!

MrHub's picture

After diner we walked around Fantasy Land to check out the construction and got some pics:

PreviewAttachmentSize
p5190157.jpg
p5190157.jpg124.48 KB
p5190158.jpg
p5190158.jpg235.25 KB
p5190161.jpg
p5190161.jpg330.52 KB
p5190163.jpg
p5190163.jpg250.76 KB
MrHub's picture

We walked hopped on the People Mover for a quick ride, then over to do the Haunted Mansion which is always a must do ride. We did some window shopping and then headed back to the Hampton Inn to get a good nights rest.

PreviewAttachmentSize
p5190174.jpg
p5190174.jpg133.2 KB
p5190181.jpg
p5190181.jpg145.48 KB
p5190183.jpg
p5190183.jpg91.19 KB
ChipnDaleFan's picture

Thanks for sharing all of the photos- especially of the refurb. areas! Also, love the shirt idea!

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

MrHub's picture

Ha! Just found this on a Disney Site. The QR codes have struck Disney!

http://wdwnews.com/releases/2012/01/12/wookiees-jedi-and-droids-oh-my-star-wars-weekends-returns-to-the-walt-disney-world-galaxy-in-may-2012/

PreviewAttachmentSize
darth-qr.png
darth-qr.png447.33 KB
MrHub's picture

Okay on to check-in day/Sunday:

We got up and packed and headed to the store for some last minute things, Pepsi, water and beer! The necessities.
Then it was off to the Animal Kingdon Lodge to check into our Savanna View room. Got there and the room was not ready so we checked in the luggage and off to the Magic Kingdom!

We took the Ferry over from the transportation center and it was a beautiful day.

We went to the Sorcers booth and got more cards and played some.

After playing the Sorcerer's for a while we did the Haunted Mansion and some shops and when it got around 1pm decised to head out and maybe the room would be ready by the time we got out of the park, and while walking to the front of the park, got a text that the room was ready do off we went.

Someone was getting married at the Poly as we went by on the Ferry

JustCar's picture

We had Christopher as a server, he is just the best server we have ever had ever. Loved him

Oct 2009 POP
Sept 2011 POP
Oct 2013 Coronado
May 2014 AKL , Magic, AoA Girlie Trip
Oct 2014 CBR Pirate Room Girlie Trip
Nov 2014 DCL Fantasy 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, Girlie Trip, POR Royal Guest Suite, GF Concierge
August 2015 DCL Magic 7 Night Mediterranean
October 2015 DL Grand Californian, DCL Wonder Panama Canal

https://www.facebook.com/MsBubbles
https://www.facebook.com/MVTRavel

MrHub's picture

Got into our room, #5507, in Animal Kingdom Lodge. Very nice room, 1 bedroom villa.

Now although the room is really nice, I would not say the view is great. It was the Arusha savanna view, but being on the 5th floor, all you see is the top of the trees and the top of the other half of the building, unless you go out onto the balcony. The Poly MK view is much more appealing to me. But it was a nice change of pace.

Mase's picture

I just LOVE the DVC rooms in AKL... they make you feel like your home.

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

Kristen K.'s picture

mrhub wrote:
Got into our room, #5507, in Animal Kingdom Lodge. Very nice room, 1 bedroom villa.

Now although the room is really nice, I would not say the view is great. It was the Arusha savanna view, but being on the 5th floor, all you see is the top of the trees and the top of the other half of the building, unless you go out onto the balcony.

I agree with you 100%! I'm not fond AT ALL of the DVC savanna views at Jambo House. It's just NOT worth those extra points to look at the tops of the trees. Plus when you're on the 6th floor, the roof line comes down low on the balcony even further obstructing the view. Very disappointing for the extra points they charge. When I'm staying DVC at Kidani I always ask for the pool view. It's just nicer to me.

At Kidani Village though it's a different story, you can get a villa on the 2/3/4 floor and have a fantastic savanna view with no obstructions at all.

The rooms are beautiful and comfortable and I wish I were there right now!

MrHub's picture

We got settled in then headed over to the California Grill for diner.

Didn't have to wait that long and we were headed up the elevator to our favorite dinner spot!

I started with what else! Sushi! I had the Dragon Roll.

Scrappy had the Florida Peach salad.

And for our main course we both had the Filet. Everything was absolutely delicious! The martini's were pretty darn good also! awesome

I tried getting some shots with my zoom of Fantasy Land, but you can't get any real good ones from up there outside. Just off center enough that you can't see it all.

All you really get is tops of buildings

After dinner we got our self portrait again out side,

and decided to call it a night, so we headed back to the AKL to get a good nights sleep.

Stopped in the lobby to get some shots

MrHub's picture

Monday! Woke up to another beautiful day!

Headed to Boma and had a really good breakfast, I much prefer that over Tusker House just because it is a calmer setting & no tour groups. But Tusker House is still fun now & again.
After breakfast we headed for EPCOT.
All the topiaries were still up from the F & G Festival, so we got to see a lot of them.

We got in to EPCOT at 8:45 and Soarin was already at 50 min wait and fast pass for 1130, so we got our fast passes after some trouble and headed over to Nemo amd afterwards took a small break and we took some pictures.

I really like the Miniature Effect!

And scrappy got a shot of me in my QR shirt!

Oh , I started talking to this guy just because I said I really like his shirt which is over 20 years old and he wears it every time he comes to WDW.

Oh! oh! I have to ask, has anyone ever got a pickle in EPCOT? There is a cart outside of Test Track and the guy sells pickles! Real deli pickles, the big ones. If you want something light & refreshing on a hot summer day, get one of these pickles, they are the bomb!

Of course, Scrappy said she didn't want one!