A New runDisney Race and Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend is moving

Login to post comments
15 posts / 0 new
Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246
A New runDisney Race and Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend is moving

Looks like Wine and Dine Half Marathon weekend is moving to the END of Epcot F&W next year, to make room for a new runDisney race, the Tower of Terror 10 Miler. Interesting....

What do you think about the move?

__________________

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

Was this the one you ran in this year? I am not a runner but I imagine the cooler weather could be helpful. What is the Tower of Terror 10 miler?? I imagine that running 10 miles is kind of a tower of terror all but itself!

__________________

mickey Bella


Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Yeah, this is the one that I did. I think it makes sense on one hand, because they had SO much crammed into that weekend that it was kind of ridiculous, with the opening of F&W and the race. On the other hand, I think that a lot of people come into town for "Epic October," run in one of the races, and then enjoy all the various meet ups that are going on. I imagine they won't be too happy about this. The other concern that I have is that I was there for the last weekend of F&W this year, and it was INSANE. I kinda wish they'd do the Wine&Dine somewhere in the middle. I think they usually schedule the running events at otherwise low attendance times, so I'm not sure why they're moving this one to a busy weekend, although maybe it was just busy because it fell on Veteran's Day. Or maybe it's busy with locals and they're trying to boost occupancy. Not sure.

The ToT 10 miler is brand new, and is a new race length. It will be fun to see how it shakes out. I'd like to do the Wine&Dine again, but we'll see.

__________________

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 22749

Hrmmm... no more "Epic October"? That's a big bummer to me. However I wasn't going to be able to make it in 2012 anyhow. If I were going and had to choose, I think I would still pick First weekend and just skip the races.

I'm not to sure however that I think the TOT race is really a mid-distance race (like a 10K is), which people were clammoring for. In my opinion 10 Miles doesn't really help step up from a 5K to a half.

dewingedpixie's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/21/2011
Posts: 522

Hmm I may have to consider one of these races provided my body holds this year.

As for 5k to half marathon I reccomend doing a 10k then working up to a half. In all honesty 10 miles and 13.1 miles doesnt feel too different to me. I'm just hungrier at the end, and have one extra snack on the run and run an extra 26 minutes or so before the meal.

__________________

Pi}{ie

Member of the ANRF Running Team. As a warrior of arthritis I encourage you to help us end this disease: http://www.active.com/donate/Racing4ACure/Run4Arthritis

Offline
Joined: 01/25/2012
Posts: 75

I would love to do both of these races sometime....But my first ever was the Princess Half in '10 and I loved it! clapping

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

That's awesome, Athenna! I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do another half, or if I want to scale back this year and really get proficient at the running. I think that's what I'm going to do.

Are you a runner? Was this your first half or have you done others?

__________________

Offline
Joined: 01/25/2012
Posts: 75

Actually, I am more of the walker, I walked the Princess Half...I was in training to half walk/half run the UCF Half Marathon w/friends in 12/10, but tore a tendon sad And I've been to WDW since, but not during a race time...Money si tight so I'm sure when I'll get to do another one....The Princess Half was my first race.

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

athenna wrote:
Actually, I am more of the walker, I walked the Princess Half...I was in training to half walk/half run the UCF Half Marathon w/friends in 12/10, but tore a tendon sad And I've been to WDW since, but not during a race time...Money si tight so I'm sure when I'll get to do another one....The Princess Half was my first race.

I think walking or run-walking is much more reasonable for races of those distance. That's a bummer that you tore a tendon! Is it all healed now?

Offline
Joined: 01/25/2012
Posts: 75

Oh yeah, it's all healed now..I just haven't any races coming up so i haven't been training.

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

It's definitely a fun time! Walking around with your medal and tshirt in the parks. I hope you get to do another one! We have a few other runners/walkers here, so hopefully, they'll chime in!

__________________

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6648

I've never been to Disney during a race weekend. I will be there during the Wine & Dine Half Marathon this year. Do all parks close early for this? I've been going the last weekend of the F&W Festival the last couple of years, and MK has had evening EMH until midnight. I plan on being in MK Saturday night and am curious how the race will impact the schedule.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 22749

JoAnn C wrote:
I've never been to Disney during a race weekend. I will be there during the Wine & Dine Half Marathon this year. Do all parks close early for this? I've been going the last weekend of the F&W Festival the last couple of years, and MK has had evening EMH until midnight. I plan on being in MK Saturday night and am curious how the race will impact the schedule.

The race doesn't start until about 10:00pm, so it shouldn't impact to much. That race doesn't run through the MK at all, it starts at WWoS, goes to AK, DHS and on to Epcot. There's an after party at Epcot that's a hard ticketed event, so I'm sure that Epcot will close right after Illuminations.

Honestly, if you're not part of the race it won't impact you that much. You may notice a bunch of race Tshirts and people wearing their medals. Be sure to congratulate them, they worked hard for those!

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6648

Kristen K. wrote:
JoAnn C wrote:
I've never been to Disney during a race weekend. I will be there during the Wine & Dine Half Marathon this year. Do all parks close early for this? I've been going the last weekend of the F&W Festival the last couple of years, and MK has had evening EMH until midnight. I plan on being in MK Saturday night and am curious how the race will impact the schedule.

The race doesn't start until about 10:00pm, so it shouldn't impact to much. That race doesn't run through the MK at all, it starts at WWoS, goes to AK, DHS and on to Epcot. There's an after party at Epcot that's a hard ticketed event, so I'm sure that Epcot will close right after Illuminations.

Honestly, if you're not part of the race it won't impact you that much. You may notice a bunch of race Tshirts and people wearing their medals. Be sure to congratulate them, they worked hard for those!

Thanks Kristen. I thought it went through all 4 parks and figured they would have needed time to clean the park before the runners came through.

__________________

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

DIStickers.com Ticker

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 22749

JoAnn C wrote:

Thanks Kristen. I thought it went through all 4 parks and figured they would have needed time to clean the park before the runners came through.

Nope, looking at the maps from the past two races this one only goes through 3 Parks. It's always possible that they could change the route, but I doubt it.