Is paying for concierge worth it?

Login to post comments
35 posts / 0 new
SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532
Is paying for concierge worth it?

I've heard lots of different takes on this; just wanted a once and for all. What are your thoughts?

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

Choices

You are not eligible to vote in this poll.

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

I've never actually stayed at concierge level, so I'm just guessing but I'm still willing to vote no. Ultimately, there are so many activities in WDW that how much I'm pampered in my hotel makes fairly small difference to me. On the other hand, it may be something where once I've gone I never go back. But from my current vantage point, having never been, I'm rating it as not worth the money, since I could probably go again for the cost of concierge.

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

I guess "no" for the same reasons, but I doubt I will ever find out if I'm right. Unless I win the lottery.

MouseTraveler's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2009
Posts: 919

I've stayed in Concierge at Disney several times, but NOT because I paid for it. As a meeting planner I was upgraded to Concierge at the Contemporary a couple of times, and at the Grand California at Disneyland once.

I say that it is worth it, but not at MY income level. If I was about 42 pay grades up, I'd pay for it in a heartbeat.

There are a couple of different levels at the Contemporary. There are a couple of floors that are open to the concourse, and then the top floor (just under the California Grill) is the primary concierge floor. When we stayed there, food was available about 18 hours a day, everything from a full breakfast, luncheon buffet and enough stuff in the evening you could make a meal of it. In addition, you had snacks out the wazoo all day, and open bar.

Again, I was lucky enough to take advantage of this because I had over a hundred rooms rented at the hotels. I could NOT have stayed there without that.

BUT... if the lottery numbers came in I'd go Concierge every time!

Also, I try not to be pretentious, but there IS that really cool feeling about getting on the elevator at the Contemporary and inserting your room key to get you to the "special floor" while the peasants (like Mouse Traveler with-OUT a meeting) watch and dream! laugh

__________________

Visit our website (work in progress) http://www.mousetraveler.tv
Visit our blog (will NEVER be finished)
http://www.mousetraveler.tv/blog
On Twitter as 'MouseTraveler' and 'BigBlueMan'

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

The food is the biggest plus I always hear about and to me that just feels like getting robbed from doing one of my favorite Disney activities.

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

Yeah, I always hear about the food too. MT, can you tell us any other big pros of concierge? I guess if the money didn't matter, it wouldn't hurt to have the food around, but personally I'd rather go to Citricos with the extra money!

MouseTraveler's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2009
Posts: 919

Brad wrote:
Yeah, I always hear about the food too. MT, can you tell us any other big pros of concierge? I guess if the money didn't matter, it wouldn't hurt to have the food around, but personally I'd rather go to Citricos with the extra money!

I'm not sure theres one thing you can put your finger on about concierge that makes it worth it. You have someone to wait on you 16 hours a day, so if you like that it is yours. I also found it fun being on the floor with a limited number of people who I got to know over a period of time.

The food was VERY good, as frequently during the day they would bring up a large selection of specialty desserts, chocolates, stuff like that.

As for having all the food and that interfering with Disney dinners, I'd snack on the good stuff up there THEN go to Disney dinner.

Keep in mind, I said I wouldn't pay for it right now, but given unlimited funds I would, as it would be worth the luxury that comes with it.

To be honest, the top floor of the Contemporary was the suite floor, so I can't really compare it to the regular concierge. Had I stayed in a regular room and just had food and drink outside in the hall my opinion might be different.

__________________

Visit our website (work in progress) http://www.mousetraveler.tv
Visit our blog (will NEVER be finished)
http://www.mousetraveler.tv/blog
On Twitter as 'MouseTraveler' and 'BigBlueMan'

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

I think if you're the work-hard, play-hard type the concierge may very well be the way to go. If you're time constrained instead of money constrained when you visit the World you should maximize your experience. Every little bit that improves your trip is worth it if you only get a limited amount of time to play.

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

MouseTraveler wrote:
You have someone to wait on you 16 hours a day, so if you like that it is yours.


What do they DO for you exactly? Do they just book dining and shows, or is there other sorts of "waiting" that happens?

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

MouseTraveler's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2009
Posts: 919

SpaceAce wrote:
MouseTraveler wrote:
You have someone to wait on you 16 hours a day, so if you like that it is yours.


What do they DO for you exactly? Do they just book dining and shows, or is there other sorts of "waiting" that happens?

Anything you want. If you have problems with your room, they fix it. If you want something besides what is being served at concierge level, they get it. If you need copies made, they'll make them. If you want reservations, they take care of that too.

On the flip side, they don't have to do anything for you. It's nice to know they are there though! (along with unlimited food, unlimited desserts, unlimited wine and unlimited booze!!)

__________________

Visit our website (work in progress) http://www.mousetraveler.tv
Visit our blog (will NEVER be finished)
http://www.mousetraveler.tv/blog
On Twitter as 'MouseTraveler' and 'BigBlueMan'

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

MouseTraveler wrote:

Anything you want. If you have problems with your room, they fix it. If you want something besides what is being served at concierge level, they get it. If you need copies made, they'll make them. If you want reservations, they take care of that too.



Sounds like that would come in mighty helpful if you're there on business (or running a convention, as you were)!

That's the kind of service I could get spoiled by. laugh

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

Offline
Joined: 09/21/2008
Posts: 143

SpaceAce wrote:
MouseTraveler wrote:

Anything you want. If you have problems with your room, they fix it. If you want something besides what is being served at concierge level, they get it. If you need copies made, they'll make them. If you want reservations, they take care of that too.



Sounds like that would come in mighty helpful if you're there on business (or running a convention, as you were)!

That's the kind of service I could get spoiled by. laugh

You can most certainly get spoiled that's for sure. I have loved both of our stays in concierge and would gladly do it every time if we could afford it.

__________________

Let's remember it all started with a mouse

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

shelleyg74 wrote:

You can most certainly get spoiled that's for sure. I have loved both of our stays in concierge and would gladly do it every time if we could afford it.

There's an interesting parallel between the concierge guests trying to explain it's appeal to the rest of us and me trying to explain the Disney appeal to my friends and family. "It's just so nice..." Probably just adds to the relaxation, which is the whole point.

admin's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2010
Posts: 2733

I think it sounds great. Anyone have an average breakdown of how much more concierge will cost per night at a given resort?

MouseTraveler's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2009
Posts: 919

I had a thought while looking at this thread this morning.

The average Disney customer is treated better than the average non-Disney hotel customer, so in a way you're GETTING a "mini concierge" type stay when you stay at a Disney resort.

__________________

Visit our website (work in progress) http://www.mousetraveler.tv
Visit our blog (will NEVER be finished)
http://www.mousetraveler.tv/blog
On Twitter as 'MouseTraveler' and 'BigBlueMan'

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

MouseTraveler wrote:
I had a thought while looking at this thread this morning.

The average Disney customer is treated better than the average non-Disney hotel customer, so in a way you're GETTING a "mini concierge" type stay when you stay at a Disney resort.

Yeah that's a lot of the appeal of Disney in the first place. So concierge is like Disney-squared!

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

dsoup wrote:

Yeah that's a lot of the appeal of Disney in the first place. So concierge is like Disney-squared!


Disney to the nth.

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

Annie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 1610

admin wrote:
I think it sounds great. Anyone have an average breakdown of how much more concierge will cost per night at a given resort?


Here are a few to give you a general idea:

Poly: garden view: value season: Club level is $140 more per night

Contemporary Tower: standard room: MK view: value season: Club level is $140 more per night

Wilderness Lodge: standard view: value season: Club level is $160 more per night

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

One thing I will note though:

Everyone who's saying they don't think concierge is worth it, is the people who haven't had it.

Everyone who's had it thinks it's the way to go.

Offline
Joined: 02/16/2009
Posts: 269

Everyone here send me 100 bucks and I'll upgrade my may trip and tell you all about it...

Just send the money to...

Marz Yar's Vacation fund
5508 Sucker drive
Gotyocash, IN 40500

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

marzyar wrote:
Everyone here send me 100 bucks and I'll upgrade my may trip and tell you all about it...

Just send the money to...

Marz Yar's Vacation fund
5508 Sucker drive
Gotyocash, IN 40500

Man I should have volunteered for that experiment first!

Kelly's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/08/2009
Posts: 66

I love staying club level! I have stayed club level at each deluxe and I have only had one stay that I wasnt thrilled with. Each resort offers something different and the food is different at each resort as well. I love the Cms at the GF and the BWI also the AKL is excellent to. I have tons of pics I will have to post. I love being able to hang in the lounge and getting to know the Cms.
I love having the snacks there for my family and I dont use them as a meal.
I love view from the lounge at the Poly and BWI. I love the music from the lobby at the GF and listening to it while I have a glass of wine. If anyone needs any club level advice let me know Smile

__________________

Kelly
www.travelwiththemagic.com
KellyR@travelwiththemagic.com
1-800-670-4312

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

Kelly wrote:
I love staying club level! I have stayed club level at each deluxe and they have only had on stay that I wasnt thrilled with. Each resort offers somethign different and the food is different at each resort as well. I love the Cms at the GF and the BWI also the AKL is excellent to. I have tons of pics I will have to post. I love being able to hang in the lounge and getting to know the Cms.
I love having the snacks there for my family and I dont use them as a meal.
I love view from the lounge at the Poly and BWI. I love the music from the lobby at the GF and listening to it while I have a glass of wine. If anyone needs any club level advice let me know Smile

We are reluctant to try club level because we always have too much food. Eating is a big part of our trip so we're usually trying to pace ourselves. If you don't plan to make use of any of the snacks, what else makes it worth it?

Kelly's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/08/2009
Posts: 66

Brad wrote:
Kelly wrote:
I love staying club level! I have stayed club level at each deluxe and I have only had one stay that I wasnt thrilled with. Each resort offers something different and the food is different at each resort as well. I love the Cms at the GF and the BWI also the AKL is excellent to. I have tons of pics I will have to post. I love being able to hang in the lounge and getting to know the Cms.
I love having the snacks there for my family and I dont use them as a meal.
I love view from the lounge at the Poly and BWI. I love the music from the lobby at the GF and listening to it while I have a glass of wine. If anyone needs any club level advice let me know Smile

We are reluctant to try club level because we always have too much food. Eating is a big part of our trip so we're usually trying to pace ourselves. If you don't plan to make use of any of the snacks, what else makes it worth it?



We usually get the dining plan and the club level. I do the breakfast from the lounge then lunch and dinner out but its nice to have the tea service and champange if staying at the GF. I like having the snacks, sodas, water and juice. I also like having the extra space with the kids to go the lounge. Also several of the lounges have super views. The GF, CR and Poly club level rooms are some of the most stunning on property. I think of it more as an experience than just the food.

__________________

Kelly
www.travelwiththemagic.com
KellyR@travelwiththemagic.com
1-800-670-4312

Annie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 1610

Great info--thanks! How does the food vary from resort to resort?

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

Kelly wrote:
Brad wrote:
Kelly wrote:
I love staying club level! I have stayed club level at each deluxe and I have only had one stay that I wasnt thrilled with. Each resort offers something different and the food is different at each resort as well. I love the Cms at the GF and the BWI also the AKL is excellent to. I have tons of pics I will have to post. I love being able to hang in the lounge and getting to know the Cms.
I love having the snacks there for my family and I dont use them as a meal.
I love view from the lounge at the Poly and BWI. I love the music from the lobby at the GF and listening to it while I have a glass of wine. If anyone needs any club level advice let me know Smile

We are reluctant to try club level because we always have too much food. Eating is a big part of our trip so we're usually trying to pace ourselves. If you don't plan to make use of any of the snacks, what else makes it worth it?



We usually get the dining plan and the club level. I do the breakfast from the lounge then lunch and dinner out but its nice to have the tea service and champange if staying at the GF. I like having the snacks, sodas, water and juice. I also like having the extra space with the kids to go the lounge. Also several of the lounges have super views. The GF, CR and Poly club level rooms are some of the most stunning on property. I think of it more as an experience than just the food.

Getting bottles of water for free might be worth it in and of itself. We always go through a ton while we're there and usually wish we had gotten more.

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

At 2.50 per bottle, that's 'spensive!

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

Kelly's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/08/2009
Posts: 66

The food at resort is from the restaurants at those resorts so. If you are at the Poly there will be food from Ohana and Kona and so on. They dont do the small water bottles anymore but they have larger bottles of water and you can take those back to your room.

__________________

Kelly
www.travelwiththemagic.com
KellyR@travelwiththemagic.com
1-800-670-4312

Offline
Joined: 10/28/2008
Posts: 278

we always grab some our first night there from a store, but it would be really nice to have them on hand. if i visited more frequently i might also be okay with just getting some of my meals at the lounge.

where is the boardwalk lounge located? you make it sound wonderful, but i have no idea where it is. with say poly and animal kingdom i have an idea, but not at boardwalk.

Kelly's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/08/2009
Posts: 66

The Boardwalk Lounge is not huge like some of the others. It is average size and they have a balcony that you can see Illuminations from. I love the deluce rooms views the over look the Boardwalk which is so cool at night.
I have some pics I will grab them and post them in the morning. I have to stay they have an awesome staff! Jackie, Lorenzo and Pete are so nice.

__________________

Kelly
www.travelwiththemagic.com
KellyR@travelwiththemagic.com
1-800-670-4312

Annie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 1610

Kelly wrote:
The Boardwalk Lounge is not huge like some of the others. It is average size and they have a balcony that you can see Illuminations from. I love the deluce rooms views the over look the Boardwalk which is so cool at night.
I have some pics I will grab them and post them in the morning. I have to stay they have an awesome staff! Jackie, Lorenzo and Pete are so nice.


Would love to see pics! It never occurred to me where the BWI lounge might be!

If you could only stay concierge at one hotel, which would you choose?