Trip Report from October 2010

Login to post comments
66 posts / 0 new
arbolita's picture
Trip Report from October 2010

Seeing as how I'm relatively new, and started this Trip Report on another site but never finished, I figure reposting what I have/finishing it up over here is a good way for you all to get to know me a bit better!

So! Here's some background:

About us:

Me! aka Arbolita/Theresa
- 25 years old (at the time of the trip)
- 4th trip to Disney
- Obsessions: Dole Whips, Gertie the Dinosaur, taking pictures at Disney

DH aka Mr. Arb/Scott
- 36 years old
- 4th trip to Disney
- Obsessions: Dole Whips, County Bear Jamboree, Getting his picture on the castle (He was very disappointed that this promotion wasn't starting until after our trip. I'm still hearing about it).
- It's also important to note that he injured his knee a few months back, and still gets pain from it.

Trip Details:
- October 9-15, 2010
- POP Century and Port Orleans - Riverside
- All 4 Disney parks, as well as Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
- Special Events: Food & Wine Festival, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, Keys to the Kingdom Tour, Halloween Horror Nights (at Universal)

I think those are the essentials you all need to know. Now strap in, keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times, and please, no flash photography.

arbolita's picture

The night before we left for Disney, both Mr. Arb and myself did not get to sleep as early as we should have. He had been out that evening seeing one of his favorite semi-local singers perform for the first time, and hadn't even started packing until after he got home. I had done most of my packing earlier in the week, but after I had finished tossing in all my last-minute items that I had been using during the week, I came to the conclusion my suitcase was much bigger than I actually needed.

So at around 10:00 PM, I decided that it would be better overall to unpack my ginormous suitcase and re-pack everything into my two smaller ones, taking one as a carry on. Around the time that Mr. Arb was home and we were both packed and ready to go, it was nearing 11:30 PM. We went to bed and I begrudgingly checked the alarm clock make sure it was set for our wake up time...4:35 AM.

Considering that I was waking up for Disney as opposed to going to work, it was surprisingly easy for me to get up in the morning and make sure we had everything together. This was also helped by the Starbucks Double Shot Energy Drink I'd purchased the day before. Our flight was leaving at 7:45 AM, and we were first driving my car to Mr. Arb's mom's house, and she was going to take us to the airport.

We left our apartment at 5:15 AM, and it was around this time that the lack of sleep first started getting to me...when I tried to open the back doors of my car using my car keys.

After I finally realized there was no keyholes back there, I handed my keys over to Mr. Arb and told him that he was going to drive to his mom's house. We made it there around 5:40 AM, and after a quick luggage transfer to her van, we were off to the airport.

We arrived there around 6 AM, and since I had done online check in with AirTran the night before, we went straight over to security, and got through with no problems. As we were walking to our terminal, Mr. Arb was using Foursquare to update his location on Facebook, and it kept trying to tell him that he was already in Orlando. Ahhh, if only it were that simple!

Can you tell who is sleep deprived and who is overly caffeinated?

They began boarding our flight around 7:00. The flight itself was extremely uneventful, and we made it to MCO at 9:35 AM, 25 minutes ahead of schedule. After we got off the plane, we followed the crowd towards the airport train system, and continued to follow about 75% of the people on our flight over the the DME check in.

We were seated towards the back of the bus, and we were able to watch the Welcome video for the first time - last year something was wrong with the GPS on our bus, so the video never knew when to start playing. It was cute and definitely getting me in the Disney mood.

And then, through my window, I saw this:

Look at that glorious sign - you can actually see the joy and excitement radiating from it!

Okay, maybe that's just because there was a smudge on the window. But that's besides the point. We had finally arrived!!

We arrived at POP, our home for the next two nights, around 11:30, and I took a couple lobby pictures while we were waiting to check in.

Not surprisingly, our room wasn't ready just yet. They handed us our folder full of park info and our anniversary pins, and sent us on our way. Considering neither of us had really had anything to eat for breakfast, we were both extremely hungry and went off in search of some food.

It was pretty busy when we first walked in, so Mr. Arb went to grab us a table and watch our stuff while I got in line. Nothing was really jumping out at me, so I just decided to get something that I don't often have at home, shrimp lo mein and carrot cake.

After I got back, Mr. Arb went up to grab his food, a chili dog with mustard, and some unpictured apple slices.

After we were done eating, we sat around for a bit relaxing and trying to decide what we wanted to do. Because it's a liquid, all of my suntan lotion was packed in my checked bag, which we wouldn't see until we got to the room. We're both extremely fair skinned, so heading out into the Florida sun on our first day with no protection wasn't an option. I'd seen some pictures of the decor around the resort, so we decided to check it out for ourselves.

I'm a huge Beatles fan, so I had to get a picture of this:

After we walked through the 50s and 60s sections, I was started to get pretty overheated. I'd packed a pair of capri's in my carry on bag, so we headed back towards the main building so I could change in the bathroom. As soon as I got back to Mr. Arb, I noticed I had a text message - our room was ready!

arbolita's picture

After a quick stop back to Everything POP to get two Vinylmation figures, we went to find our room. We had one of the easiest room numbers ever to remember - 2222. It was in the 50s section, in the building with the jukebox. We gathered our things and went back in that direction.

I also took the time to open up my Vinylmation boxes to see what I got. One I loved, and the other...not so much.

I wasn't too discouraged about getting a Vinylmation that I didn't care for. I'd heard that recently you could go to the resorts and Downtown Disney and engage in some Vinylmation trading, so I was excited to have an opportunity to do so! I'll go into more detail about the trading later.

About 15 minutes after we got to the room, our luggage was delivered to us. I was pretty shocked at how short our wait was, and excited that I could start to get on sunscreen and get ready to visit the parks. Mr. Arb and I both got ready and hopped on a bus to go to Hollywood Studios.

The 3:00 parade was about to get started as we were walking in the park, so we quickly moved to the sidewalk and made our way towards Tower of Terror. I think the wait was around 40 minutes, so we decided to get a Fastpass and come back before we left the park. Once we had our Fastpasses, we decided to go to The Magic of Disney Animation.

I think I did an old version of this as a kid, but Mr. Arb had never gone, and it was something he specifically requested we try to do on our trip. After the short video with Mushu, we got in line for the Animation Academy. We were the last two people let into the room, and sat up in the front row with the drawing pad on our laps. Today we were drawing Daisy Duck. About halfway through the drawing, I decided to sneak a peek at Mr. Arb's artwork. Oh my. I was doing my best to hold my laughter inward and definitely failing.

What was so funny, you ask? Behold:

Let's take a closer look at that, shall we?

rolling I kept hoping that later on in the trip I could get a picture of Mr. Arb and Daisy, but it never worked out.

Here is my much less entertaining drawing:

Once we were finished, we decided to make our way over to Toy Story Midway Mania to see what the wait time was:

110 minutes? I don't think so. I knew since we'd gotten to the park late there wouldn't be a chance of getting Fast Passes, so I figured I would just do it later in the week.

Before I go too much farther, I want to interject a quick note - Going into this vacation there were two rides at Disney that I had never been on and was determined to make it to on this trip: Space Mountain and Toy Story Midway Mania. I really didn't care if I was unable to get anything else on my Must Do list done, I just really wanted to go on these rides.

We continued on to the Backlot Tour, which has always been a favorite of mine.

As our tram was riding around the area near Lights Motors Action! I noticed something very interesting that I had never seen before...

arbolita's picture

As soon as we got off the ride, I went to inspect further...

I've never been to Disney in the winter, so having a chance to see all of the Christmas light decorations being put up was a real treat. I also had no idea they started putting them up this early into the Fall. Mr. Arb and I agreed that when we get to plan our next trip to Disney World, it would definitely be at a time when we can see the lights in action.

Since we were in the area, I got a picture at an old classic:

Mr. Arb's knee was starting to bug him, so we grabbed a bottle of water and sat for a few minutes outside of Pizza Planet. Since we were nearby Muppet Vision 3-D, we decided it would be a nice break out of the heat and were able to walk directly into the theatre.

Since the theme of the afternoon seemed to be things that I had never seen in Disney before, I don't know why I was so surprised by this one. Guess what was actually open:

The show itself wasn't that great, but we did have a lot of fun in Sound Works, the area after you exit the theatre, but before you go outside. They had machines where you could provide your own voiceovers to different Disney films (the two I saw were Snow White and Mickey & the Beanstalk), as well as creating your own sound effects.

When it's open, I believe you can just walk right into the Sound Works portion, so I'd recommend to skip the movie part and spend a little time in there.

After we left, I saw my absolute favorite thing in all of Disney and got my number 1 Must Take picture:

NOW it felt like a Disney vacation!

It was now time to use our Tower of Terror fast passes, so I snapped some pictures along the way.

The Streetsmosphere people were performing, so we stopped to watch them for a few minutes

And then, it was time!

By now, we were both getting incredibly hungry, so we decided to hop on a bus to the Poly and see if they would seat us early for our reservation at Kona. We checked in with the hostess around 7:15 PM, and went to the bar by 'Ohana while we waited. Mr. Arb noticed that has a variety of beer he had never tried before, so he ordered one of them (I do not for the life of me remember what it was). I'm not much of a drinker, and all the stools at the bar were occupied, so I decided to head to the Poly gift shop and have my first adventure in Vinylmation trading.

I definitely prefer Easter Bunnies to teeth!

I went back to Mr. Arb, and around 7:45 our buzzer went off. In addition to their normal selections, people on the dining plan can select their food from a prix fixe menu where in addition to the entree and dessert, you also can get an appetizer. I decided to select from that, and Mr. Arb ordered off the regular menu.

Pot Stickers - wok-seared duck dumplings with creamy ginger soy sauce

They were delicious, and I'm really happy I ordered them, because we wound up waiting about half an hour for our entrees, and I am not exaggerating. The tables on both sides of us received and finished eating their entrees before we even got ours. We never got an explanation for the wait either, but I was definitely annoyed for the rest of the meal.

Teriyaki-style New York Strip - sirloin strip grilled with pineapple teriyaki glaze (on the side) served with rice and stir-fried broccolini

Pan Asian Noodles - Asian egg noodles with sliced chicken, pineapple, seasonal vegetables, and a housemade sweet and sour sauce

Fortunately, our deserts did not take as long:

Kilauea Torte

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

And they brought us out some anniversary cupcakes, which we barely ate because we were stuffed by this point.

After we were finished dinner, we took the monorail to the Magic Kingdom to catch a bus to POP, and were able to see some of Wishes from our window. We arrived back around 9:45 PM, where we had one last surprise waiting for us...

arbolita's picture

I was ready to slip off my shoes and just collapse in bed, but something on the table in our room caught my eye...

My parents had a small gift sent to our room!

Thanks Mom and Dad!!

I gave my Mom a quick call after we opened the gift. She was really relieved to hear that we had gotten it, since apparently they were supposed to give it to us at check in. She was getting nervous when she hadn't heard from us all day, and wanted us to spend it on a couple souvenirs for ourselves. I think we could manage to come up with a few things we wanted. awesome

We both slept great that night, at least until the family next door to us started to get ready. We both woke up somewhere between 6 and 6:30, and we able to hear every single word they were speaking through the walls. Not exactly the Disney magic I was hoping for on my first morning!

About an hour later, we finally got up and started getting ready. As I jumped in the shower, Mr. Arb went to Everything Pop to grab some breakfast. He got a bagel and bacon, and got me a cinnamon bun.

After an uneventful bus ride, we arrived at Epcot around 9:30, and of course had to get some obligatory golf ball pictures.

Our first stop was to the Festival Center to check out some of the Food & Wine Festival Merch. Now, last year Disney made messenger bags out of the Food & Wine Festival banners from the previous year. They were a hot commodity and sold out fairly quickly. I mean, Mr. Arb and I were there opening week and never even saw them. Luckily, we didn't run in to the same thing this year, and I finally able to get one!

Here's the one I wound up getting:

Once we left the festival center, we went over to Test Track to get some Fast Passes, then we decided to head over to Innoventions. On our way, we saw three guys playing percussion music using ovens, pots and pans. Their name escapes me at the moment, but we were very impressed.

When they finished, we entered Innoventions and walked straight into Test Lab.

We had a good time playing around with everything, including trying to break a TV

As we made our way around, we saw something I had heard about and was very excited to try!

For those of you who haven't experienced this yet, Sum of All Thrills is an activity where you create your own virtual roller coaster, then get to ride it. You sit in a little pod attached to a large mechanical arm which moves you all around and gives you the sensation of going down large drops and loops.

At the end of your ride, a number comes up on the screen that tells you what the Sum of Your Thrills is, and we got a 636. Don't ask me what that number means, or how it compares to others, because I have absolutely no idea.

After we left Innoventions, we decided to check out Living with the Land. This is one of the rides that I really remember from my childhood, but hadn't ridden sense then, so I was looking forward to it.

After the ride was over, we both thought it might be interesting to do the Behind the Seeds Tour. We went to the info desk to get the details about it. We didn't have time to do it then, because we had lunch reservations in about 20 minutes, but planned to try and go later during our trip. (As a side note, that never worked out, but we DID go on our trip this past June, and it was GREAT! Highly recommended!)

We left The Land to make our way over to The Living Seas...and get very lost and confused trying to find where exactly the Coral Reef entrance was. After walking in circles a few times, and finally finding some helpful cast members, we arrived!

After a very short wait, we were seated for what I think was my favorite meal of our trip.

Mr. Arb ordered the Grilled New York Strip Steak - served with horseradish smashed potatoes and asparagus.

While I had something new on the menu: Rainbow Seared Trout - with warm salad of white beans, arugula, tomatoes, crispy bacon, aged balsamic vinegar and brown butter

I cannot say enough about how delicious that was. My mouth is watering right now just thinking about it.

We ended things with a classic Baileys and Jack Daniel's Mousse - topped with a ganache and chocolate cigar

Wow, what a great trip report! And your pics are fantastic! I love Mr. Arb's Daisy drawing - that's a hoot!

This concerns me: I kind alike that Vinylmation. That scuba one is cool! The teeth one made me think "WT* is that??" Good idea to trade it for the Easter bunny one! Haha. Like I need another Disney collection to start...but they are growing on me the more I see....

Thanks for sharing!

arbolita's picture

After we finished lunch, we decided it was time to cash in on our Test Track FPs. On our way there, Mr. Arb spotted Chip & Dale, and said he wanted to get in line for a picture. Back when he was a kid on his first trip to Disney, one of his mom's favorite pictures was of him and his brothers with the chipmunks, and he thought she'd really enjoy having an updated picture.

I decided to get in on the action also.

When we got to Test Track, even the Fast Pass line seemed a bit slow going, but it gave me time to get some pictures in the queue area.

When we got on the ride we were seated in the backseat - just like every other time we've ridden. I think I just need to go to the World with a group of 6 so I can make sure I get to be seated in the front!

After we got off Test Track, we made our way to the World Showcase.

We briefly stopped in Karamel Kuche, but it was so crowded we just did a quick walk through, and then went right back out. Hopefully next time it won't be as crazy and we'll actually attempt to order something.

While we were in Germany, I had to stop by and see the trains.

During the Food & Wine Festival, it seems that they add in miniature versions of a few of the booths to the train displays. I loved all the details they included.

We continued walking around the Showcase...

... when I heard something that I absolutely wasn't expecting.

"Hey, UMBC!"

I was wearing a shirt with my alma mater's logo, but was really taken off guard when someone knew who it was! We're a relatively new school in Maryland (started in 1966), and not really well known outside of our local area. I located the person shouting at me, and turns out she was a '77 alum and extremely excited to find someone representing her school. She and her husband moved down to the Florida a couple years ago, and we spent quite a bit of time talking about the school, Disney, and ended the conversation with her suggesting that we have an alumni event at Disney. I told her I thought it was a fantastic idea! awesome

Mr. Arb's knee was starting to bother him by this point, so we made our way back towards the entrance. As we got closer, we noticed the wait for Spaceship Earth was only 5 minutes, and figured it was as good a time as any to hop on.

Without saying anything to each other, we both decided to try and make a goofy face for the camera.

I'd say we were pretty successful, don't you think? Wink

We made our way off the ride and walked outside...when I realized I'd left my camera case on the seat where we had been riding. Mr. Arb, bum knee and all, sprinted back indoors to talk to the cast member at the ride exit to see if she could help. She disappeared, and about two minutes later returned with the camera case! I was so relieved, since I didn't want to spend the rest of my trip worrying about my camera getting damaged in my bag. We thanked her, left the park, and hopped on the bus bound for POP Century.

When we arrived, we went to the concierge desk and spoke to someone about getting our bags transferred from POP to Port Orleans - Riverside the following day. They told us to just take our bags to the luggage people before we leave to go to the parks in the morning, and they'd take care of the rest. Content with that answer, we made our way back to the room and were greeted with another fun surprise:

We spent about an hour resting and relaxing, and around 6:00 we made our way out out of the room to walk around the other areas of the resort, then catch a bus to DHS for our Sci Fi ADR.

We boarded a bus to DHS at 6:30 PM, but that wasn't where we'd end our night...

arbolita's picture

JeffC wrote:
Wow, what a great trip report! And your pics are fantastic! I love Mr. Arb's Daisy drawing - that's a hoot!

This concerns me: I kind alike that Vinylmation. That scuba one is cool! The teeth one made me think "WT* is that??" Good idea to trade it for the Easter bunny one! Haha. Like I need another Disney collection to start...but they are growing on me the more I see....

Thanks for sharing!

Heh, we've managed to limit our Vinylmation buying to one or two a trip. They have SO MANY series out now, I think we decided we're going to limit ourselves to getting ones from the Park sets and the Villians set.

arbolita's picture

So! Back to Hollywood Studios:

We wandered around a bit (including checking the wait time for TSM again - 80 minutes), and checked in for our dinner at Sci Fi around 7:15 PM.

We settled in to the backseat of a car with a very nice family in front of us. As expected, Mr. Arb ordered the chocolate milkshake first.

For our meals, Mr. Arb ordered the Smoked St. Louis-style Ribs - Basted with barbecue sauce served with cole slaw and french fries

And I had the Italian Grilled Chicken Sandwich - With bruschetta topping served on a Kaiser Roll with fries.

We didn't use the dining plan for this meal, so opted not to do dessert. By the time we were finishing up, the loop of movie shorts on the drive in screen was starting to repeat, so we left and went back again to TSM to check on the time. At this point it had gone up to 90 minutes. We decided not to wait, and left the park.

After a brief trip back again to Pop Century so Mr. Arb could put on some jeans and rest his knee again, we went right back onto the buses to enjoy some EMHs at the Magic Kingdom!

We arrived just as Wishes was started, so Main Street was completely packed. We managed to scoot our way through the crowds towards Tomorrowland, and found an open spot near Space Mountain to watch the fireworks.

Seeing as how we were right next to Space Mountain and how NEITHER of us had ever gone on it before, we definitely skipped the end of Wishes so that we could get on the ride while the wait time was pretty low - 20 minutes.

I was jumping up and down the entire time we were in the queue area. I had no idea what to expect, and had the craziest grin on my face the entire ride.

See?

SO AWESOME.

We decided to follow up one awesome thing with another, and walked to Adventureland to get ourselves a Dole Whip.
As we were walking by the castle, we realized that crowds were starting to line up again. It took me about two seconds to find out that people were getting ready for the Mickey's Electrical Parade. This was my very first Disney parade back in 1990, and we both decided it was definitely worth it to find a place to sit and watch. Mr. Arb planted himself on a ledge, while I found a giant opening in what is, in my opinion, the best seat in the house.

I couldn't figure out why more people weren't flocking over here, but hey, I wasn't about to complain.

I was still retaining my Space Mountain Smile, and if you can imagine, it only got bigger when I heard that music start to play. These pictures don't need my commentary, so I'm just going to shut up and post them.

This picture below is by far my favorite of the whole trip, and is currently the background on my computer.

Once the parade ended and the crowds started to clear out, Mr. Arb and I continued on our way to Adventureland and got the first Dole Whip of our trip:

I think the picture is blurry because I just wanted to hurry up and take it so I could start shoving it in my face.

As we ate it, we walked towards Liberty Square. I was gearing myself up to accomplish one of my Magic Kingdom Must Do's: Ride the Haunted Mansion at midnight.

By the time we finished our Dole Whip and got into line, it was...

11:52 PM, with a 10 minute wait. I started getting a little nervous. Was taking time to enjoy that last spoonful of delicious pineapple softserve going to thwart my only chance this trip to be hanging with the ghosts at midnight?

Mase's picture

ROGER RABBIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may have to visit that hotel JUST to take my own picture of Roger!!!!!

Dont know if the trip report is done yet, but this is an awesome trip report! Thank you for sharing and making me aware of Roger!

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

arbolita's picture

Heh, oh it's definitely not done. I'm a bit wordy and I take a LOT of pictures, haha. Who knows, you may be sick of me by the end of this =P

Mase's picture

arbolita wrote:
Heh, oh it's definitely not done. I'm a bit wordy and I take a LOT of pictures, haha. Who knows, you may be sick of me by the end of this =P

Lies! If someone gets tired of it then they dont appreciate Disney enough! clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

JoAnn C's picture

Great trip report so far. I love Pop Century. I can't wait to go back in November.

Bella's picture

I had forgotten how much I loved POP until I saw your pictures!!

And Univ. of Md Baltimore County! Woot! My cousin went there!

Great TR...I can't wait to read more!

mickey Bella

arbolita's picture

I don't have a picture of this, so you'll just have to trust me, but it was 11:59 when we were seated in our DoomBuggy. I RODE THE HAUNTED MANSION AT MIDNIGHT AND LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT!

Anyway.

After we survived that frightful ordeal, we made our way to one of Mr. Arb's favorites, the Country Bear Jamboree.

Once it ended, we were (understandably) exhausted, and made our way to the buses. It was around 1:30 when we got back to the room, and immediately crashed onto the bed. We "slept in" until around 8, and then packed up our belongings since this was the day we were transferring from the Pop Century resort over to Port Orleans - Riverside. Once we were ready, we took our bags to the luggage check, and they said they would make sure they made it over to our resort by that evening.

We got on the bus for DHS, then while I ran to Toy Story Midway Mania (another ride we'd never been on) to get a Fast Pass to use during that evening's Extra Magic Hours, Mr. Arb went to Starring Rolls to get us a breakfast chocolate peanut butter cupcake.

After I secured our Fast Passes and took time to enjoy the AMAZING cupcake, we hopped back on the bus heading to POR so we could get checked in, and have our keys ready to head straight back to our room at the end of the day. That went fairly quickly, and it was back to the bus to head to Epcot. First thing, went and got a FP for Soarin'. We had tickets to one of the Food Demos at 1:00 and then were meeting up with a friend of mine who lives in Central Florida, but we had some time to kill, and decided to spend it in the World Showcase.

We went to Mexico and rode the Gran Fiesta Tour

And then took both mine and Mr. Arb's first trip on Maelstrom.

Ewwww, get your finger out of there!

Our Food Demo was with the guy who owns CakeLove in DC:

And he treated us to a delicious coffee cake:

I had received a text by this time that my friend had arrived and was waiting for us over in Canada, so we made our way back there. I was extremely excited, because this was going to be the first time I had a chance to meet my friend's new daughter!

She was meeting us specifically for the Food and Wine Festival, so it was definitely time to start eating!

From Canada:

Chicken Chipotle Sausage with Sweet Corn Polenta

Nanaimo Bar

From South Africa:

Seared Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potato Puree and Mango Barbecue Sauce

From South Korea:

Lettuce Wraps with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw

The South Korea booth was near the bridge in Epcot that gets raised to let the globe for Illuminations into the World Showcase Lagoon, and this transition happened while we were standing there eating.

We were pretty full from eating by this point, and grabbed a table in the nice, air conditioned, American Pavilion and just sat and talked for quite some time. I spent part of that time bonding with my friends daughter.

It was time for my friend to leave, and time for us to head to Soarin', so we said our goodbyes and went in our separate directions.

arbolita's picture

Bella wrote:
I had forgotten how much I loved POP until I saw your pictures!!

And Univ. of Md Baltimore County! Woot! My cousin went there!

Great TR...I can't wait to read more!

Really?? What year did they graduate? It's a fairly small school, and you get to know the people (especially the ones who live on campus) pretty well.

Bella's picture

Oh I love the booths at Food and Wine Fest..so delicious and I love that you can use your snack credits on them! Yum!

Can I ask what prompted you to switch resorts?

mickey Bella

arbolita's picture

Bella wrote:
Oh I love the booths at Food and Wine Fest..so delicious and I love that you can use your snack credits on them! Yum!

When we had originally planned our trip, we were only going to be there from Monday - Friday at Port Orleans. Then my husband decided about 2 months before the trip that we should add an extra two days. So since we were already going to have to pay to change our flights, we decided to save a little money by booking the additional nights at one of the values. Plus, I was excited to have a chance to check out another resort, and had heard so much about the decor at Pop.

Bella's picture

arbolita wrote:
Bella wrote:

When we had originally planned our trip, we were only going to be there from Monday - Friday at Port Orleans. Then my husband decided about 2 months before the trip that we should add an extra two days. So since we were already going to have to pay to change our flights, we decided to save a little money by booking the additional nights at one of the values. Plus, I was excited to have a chance to check out another resort, and had heard so much about the decor at Pop.

Good reason!!! I was just wondering because I have always wanted to switch resorts but I can't decide if it would be too much trouble or not.

mickey Bella

Jess's picture

Awesome trip report and love the pics Smile Can't wait to read more

This is funny- I did pretty much the same thing! But Joe wouldn't let me pick his nose... laugh

roundbo's picture

arbolita wrote:

Most definitely not sick of this yet. What a great trip report so far. I don't think I have the patience to do what you have done here. Great job! Looking forward to reading more. My wife is a picture maniac and she is already getting plenty of ideas even though this is her very first trip.

Vettelover's picture

Arbo, what a fantastic trip report and photos. Anxiously awaiting more please keep it going, Thanks.

Bella's picture

JeffC wrote:
This is funny- I did pretty much the same thing! But Joe wouldn't let me pick his nose... laugh

Oh that Joe...always ruining a good time with his responsibility laugh laugh

mickey Bella

kormelmer's picture

Thanks for sharing, especially the pics. I had never noticed the miniature food booths in Germany before. That was a great find.

We've stayed at:
Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Beach/Yacht Club, Old Key West Resort, Port Orleans (Riverside & French Quarter), Coronado Springs, Boardwalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Pop Century, All Star (Music & Sports).

kayb's picture

Thanks for posting! This is helping cure my "not at Disney blues!" mickey

MrHub's picture

Great trip report arbolita! I'm having a hard time remembering ours and it's only been a week !

Bella's picture

kormelmer wrote:
Thanks for sharing, especially the pics. I had never noticed the miniature food booths in Germany before. That was a great find.

Me either..those are really cute!

mickey Bella

CarJust's picture

Dont you just love staying at Pop?!
I cant wait to see the rest of your pictures and finish reading your trip report.
54 days until I start writing mine!! yay

arbolita's picture

After my friend left Epcot, we used our FP's to ride Soarin'. We had a ADR for Raglan Road in about an hour, so we did some bus hopping, and were just a couple minutes late. We were seated very quickly after we checked in, and were in the main room, where we were able to hear the live music really well and see the Irish dancers.

Raglan Road has always been a favorite of ours, and once again, it did not disappoint.

Kevin's Heavenly Ham - Irish mist glazed loin of bacon with cabbage and a Clonmel apple potato cake

Sod the Stew - beef stew infused with a hint of Guinness

Market Street - fresh fruit basket with natural yogurt and a honey drizzle

And one of the best things I've ever eaten in my life and makes my mouth drool just thinking about it:

Ger's Bread & Butter Pudding

We had done so much running around today, we decided to head to Port Orleans to check out our room for the rest of the week, and relax a bit. We arrived around 9:00...unfortunately, our luggage, which as you remember was supposed to be sent to Port Orleans from Pop Century, was no where to be found. I'm sure you can imagine what my initial reaction to that was (here's a hint - it looked something like this: whoopdedoo ). While we waited, the Cast Members at POR did some investigating, and our luggage had been sent over to French Quarter instead of Riverside. WHEW! My excitement for the evening didn't end there...

Scott went to check out the room, and I went to go buy a drink from the gift shop to break a $20 so that we would have some change to tip the Cast Member when we finally got our luggage. By this time, my phone was dead, and remember...it had been a very long day. And for the life of me, I could not remember what our new room number was. So there I was, wandering around Port Orleans in the dark, trying my key in rooms that I thought might be ours (8062? 8402? ) and finally was able to find a phone on the wall where I could call the front desk and find out where I was supposed to be (if you're curious, it was 8102. So close!). Even with getting lost, I still managed to beat our luggage to the room, so I got some pictures while we waited:

I loooooooooved this room. Our luggage arrived not much longer, and we unpacked a couple things, I charged my phone, and we turned on the TV to fall asleep to the sweet sounds of Stacey telling us the Disney Must Dos.

In the morning, we figured since we were at Port Orleans, we'd go over to Sassagoula Floatworks and check out the beignets we've heard so much about. As you can probably guess by now, I took pictures while we were on our way:

Now, having been to New Orleans and Cafe du Monde, these beignets were okay, but a little disappointing.

After we ate, we hopped on the bus to Animal Kingdom.

First up was Kilimanjaro Safari

From there, we went over to Asia to get our Fast Passes for Expedition Everest, and once they were in hand, I decided to get myself a delicious treat.

We decided to hang around Asia, and go to the Maharajah Jungle Trek.

While we were walking, I made a new friend, who, after this picture, promptly flew inches above my head, freaking me out a bit.

We also stopped to watch some monkeys, being awesome.

It was time for lunch, so we decided to check out a new restaurant for us, Restaurantosaurus.

I got the Shrimp Po' Boy

Mr. Arb got a hamburger, which he wouldn't let me take a picture of because, well, it's a hamburger. (Doesn't he understand it's a DISNEY hamburger? Sigh.)

When we got to Dinosaur, the Fast Pass time was the same as the wait time, so we just decided to wait it out. I love this ride, even though it scared the life out of me when I first rode it last year.

I had time to be scared again this year, because the ride stopped while we were on it in complete darkness. Woo!

When we got off the ride, it was time to head back to Expedition Everest and use our Fast Passes.

Now, we had tickets for MNSSHP this evening, but also wanted to make a quick stop to Downtown Disney and do some shopping first, so we decided to do one more thing at Animal Kingdom for the day - It's Tough to Be a Bug.

arbolita's picture

After some more bus hopping, we arrived at Downtown Disney around 4:00. They had some cute Halloween decor set out, so, naturally, I had to get more pictures.

As we were walking around, Mr. Arb decided we MUST do Characters in Flight. Now...I have a bit of a fear of heights. Moreso about falling from heights. I'm not entirely sure how, but he did manage to talk me into it.

In this picture, you can see Tower of Terror on the Left, and Swan and Dolphin in the center.

Epcot:

The Contemporary:

Proof that I went up in a balloon!

We did some shopping at World of Disney and D-Street, then took the ferry back to Port Orleans so we could change, drop off our souvenirs and head out to the Magic Kingdom.

It didn't take us long to get ready, and we arrived at MNSSHP around 8:00.

A cast member told us the Headless Horseman was about to come out, so we decided to wait near the front of the park so we could get a picture.

I also got what is one of my absolute favorite pictures from any of our Disney trips:

We decided to skip the parade for now, and went right onto Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, where Mr. Arb promptly kicked my butt. We went around to a couple of the candy stations, then stopped to watch a bit of one of the dance parties:

This was nearby Space Mountain - I have to say, I thought I enjoyed this ride when I went on it the other night. It was EVEN BETTER when the wait time is the same as the ride time. We literally walked right on to the ride, and even got a car to ourselves.

We were both getting hungry and decided to check out Pecos Bill's. On the way, we heard a cowboy zombie barbershop quartet:

We each got the taco salad at Pecos Bill's

And chocolate and carrot cakes for dessert

As we were finishing up, fireworks were getting started. We found an area to watch over in Liberty Square.

Scott's knee was really starting to bug him by this time, so he sat and rested while I did a quick run on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and hit up a few more candy stations. We decided to head out of the park around 10:30, since the next morning we'd be getting up pretty early for a looooong day of walking - we had the Keys to the Kingdom tour!

I decided I had to get one last picture before we left for the evening: