Trying to plan for 2012 and would love feedback.

Login to post comments
9 posts / 0 new
Kris1971's picture
Trying to plan for 2012 and would love feedback.

OK folks, I need your advice. I've committed to taking my niece and nephew to WDW in 2012. I took them a few years back when my niece was 5 and my nephew was only 18 months, and I promised we'd go back when my nephew was 5. He turns 5 in June. I'm trying to decide between the 3rd week of October or the 1st full week in December. My initial thought was that it would be so neat to see the world decorated for Christmas, but then again, Halloween at the world is pretty cool too. Their parents have agreed to take them out of school to go, so that's not an issue. Since I'm having trouble deciding on the dates, I thought I'd take a poll of the experts. Opinions?

Honestly, you can not go wrong with either. I could see going for Halloween because Disney does it so well and chances are it is much bigger in Disney than what they would see at home. But, the same could be said for going during Christmas. So, if it were me, what would I do????? I honestly do not know lol. I think I would take them for Christmas but I think that is mostly because that would be a first for us.

Lizzy_B's picture

Hi Kris - I stick with my opinion from an earlier thread: give Christmas a try. There are tons of extra things going on, and as lovely as Halloween and fall are at WDW, the Christmas decorations, which cover every part of the resort, from parks to hotels, are incredible. Plus, you have all the Christmas extras - MVMCP, Candlelight Processional at Epcot. AND it gives you an opportunity to see it at a different time of year, and then you can choose your favorite to return to in 2013 Smile. Here's something else: there's something really, really neat about coming to FL during the colder months. Now, we could have a freak cold snap, but normally, it's sunny and beautiful during the day, and sweater-weather-cool at night, which is a nice change from how cold it might already be at home.

Good luck! I can't wait to hear what you decide!

Mase's picture

If you want the christmas decorations, but less of a crowd, and the kids will be pulled out of school. Go either the week before Thanksgiving or after. The crowds are SUPER low during these times. This is how its going to be when were there next week.

Monday is a crowd level 4 out of 10 and Animal Kingdom is the one to avoid that day.
Tuesday is a crowd level 4 out of 10 and Epcot is the one to avoid with Magic Kingdom the preferred
Wednesday is a crowd level 3 out of 10 and Epcot is the one to avoid with Magic Kingdom the preferred
Thursday is a crowd level 1 out of 10 with Magic Kingdom to avoid and Epcot and HS as the preferred
Friday is 4 out of 10 with Epcot the avoid and Magic Kingdom as the preferred

So yeah... with levels like this... the longest you wait in line is maybe 25 minutes... unless its Toy Story Mania... thats always busy... lol. And these are pretty consistent with after Thanksgiving as well. And the Christmas stuff is already up (They actually start the first of November).

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

I'm with Lizzy on this one - I'd go with Christmas because of the extend of the hoiday decorations all over the World!

I'd vote for the first week of December. That's when we went last year, and while it was a little chilly int he morning, it was so gorgeous by late morning/early afternoon.

And I'll throw out my regular reminder that the Regis & Kelly Christmas Parade, whch is televised on Christmas morning, is usually taped at MK the first Saturday in December, and it's reported to be a zoo at that park that day. We just went to another park that day and avoided the mayhem. But if you like that sort of chaos, go crazy!

Mase's picture

JeffC wrote:
I'm with Lizzy on this one - I'd go with Christmas because of the extend of the hoiday decorations all over the World!

I'd vote for the first week of December. That's when we went last year, and while it was a little chilly int he morning, it was so gorgeous by late morning/early afternoon.

And I'll throw out my regular reminder that the Regis & Kelly Christmas Parade, whch is televised on Christmas morning, is usually taped at MK the first Saturday in December, and it's reported to be a zoo at that park that day. We just went to another park that day and avoided the mayhem. But if you like that sort of chaos, go crazy!

And thats the day you go to Epcot, Animal Kingdom, or Hollywood Studios. You can easily go that week... just avoid the Magic Kingdom with all your power that day... lol

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

As has been mentioned already, I would definitely go for the 1st week of December. Not only is the crowd at the parks a bit lighter, but you also get the best deals since that is still one of the cheaper time of the year.

In fact, putting my money where my mouth is, I am going to be there during the 1st week of December this year! Smile

Zz.

No longer an active member.

Kris1971's picture

You folks ROCK! Sounds like the consensus is December which was my initial thought, especially since I have never seen the world decorated for Christmas. We'll be doing Wednesday to Sunday, so I'm thinking December 5 - 9. I've heard a rumor that week might be Pop Warner week. Is that bad from a crowd perspective? Also, I'm thinking about trying the new Cars suites at The Art of Animation. My nephew is a huge cars buff!

Lizzy_B's picture

A quick Google search says you might be right Smile But these types of things are held at "off" times precisely because the crowds are lower. As long as you don't mind the parks teeming with little people Smile You niece and nephew may actually like it. Also - and there's NO way to tell this far in advance - but beware of the Christmas parade taping, which normally takes place in early December, I believe. However, Jeff C was there at that time last year, and he reported that the mayhem was confined to MK for that Saturday only. I think that's more a barrage by locals, and probably doesn't impact other facets of your stay, like crowd levels at resorts, ADRs, etc.

Ooh - can't WAIT to hear about AoA!