Visiting the Water Parks

Login to post comments
25 posts / 0 new
Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357
Visiting the Water Parks

So I've never been to any of the Water Parks. I was curious what percentage of trips you guys make it to a water park. Is it an every trip occurrence?

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

No way. The water parks are fun...once...in the early morning...and that's it. Those places get packed!

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

bali's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3444

They're fun, but it can get hot and crowded--I'll agree with that. I like the idea of going for the morning, then heading somewhere else for the rest of the day.

__________________


May 2008 CSR mickey

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

Not even close. waiting

MouseTraveler's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2009
Posts: 919

I've been a few times, but only when it was included in a package or I got comped.

I'd probably not make a special trip if I had to pay for it.

__________________

Visit our website (work in progress) http://www.mousetraveler.tv
Visit our blog (will NEVER be finished)
http://www.mousetraveler.tv/blog
On Twitter as 'MouseTraveler' and 'BigBlueMan'

Offline
Joined: 10/28/2008
Posts: 278

agreed mt. if it were included in my annual pass i'd probably go on most trips. but i'm not going to buy an extra ticket for it.

admin's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2010
Posts: 2733

I think folks should try it once--some peope LOVE it and some just can't stand it.

Kelly's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/08/2009
Posts: 66

We go every summer! I love TL.

__________________

Kelly
www.travelwiththemagic.com
[email protected]
1-800-670-4312

Offline
Joined: 10/28/2008
Posts: 278

kelly, do you live in orlando?

MouseTraveler's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2009
Posts: 919

For me (as a rapidly aging baby boomer), the best part of the water park is the lazy river.

One of the best jobs at Disney HAS to be a life guard on that thing. The water is only a couple of feet deep. I asked one of the life guards once if they REALLY needed to be there, and he told me you'd be surprised what people can get in to in two feet of water.

__________________

Visit our website (work in progress) http://www.mousetraveler.tv
Visit our blog (will NEVER be finished)
http://www.mousetraveler.tv/blog
On Twitter as 'MouseTraveler' and 'BigBlueMan'

Brad's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/05/2008
Posts: 4357

MouseTraveler wrote:
For me (as a rapidly aging baby boomer), the best part of the water park is the lazy river.

One of the best jobs at Disney HAS to be a life guard on that thing. The water is only a couple of feet deep. I asked one of the life guards once if they REALLY needed to be there, and he told me you'd be surprised what people can get in to in two feet of water.

Sadly we would probably be surprised at what kind of trouble people can get themselves into all over WDW...especially with that many kids around.

SpaceAce's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2008
Posts: 2532

MouseTraveler wrote:
For me (as a rapidly aging baby boomer), the best part of the water park is the lazy river.

One of the best jobs at Disney HAS to be a life guard on that thing. The water is only a couple of feet deep. I asked one of the life guards once if they REALLY needed to be there, and he told me you'd be surprised what people can get in to in two feet of water.



I believe that! Parents often just send their kids to the lazy river thinking "what trouble can they get into there?" eek

__________________

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

MouseTraveler's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2009
Posts: 919

Brad wrote:
MouseTraveler wrote:
For me (as a rapidly aging baby boomer), the best part of the water park is the lazy river.

One of the best jobs at Disney HAS to be a life guard on that thing. The water is only a couple of feet deep. I asked one of the life guards once if they REALLY needed to be there, and he told me you'd be surprised what people can get in to in two feet of water.

Sadly we would probably be surprised at what kind of trouble people can get themselves into all over WDW...especially with that many kids around.



Best job I ever saw was several years I was at an Atlanta Braves baseball game with a group of TV people. We were guests of CNN, so we watched the game from a private area called "Turner Beach".

Of course it was a 'beach' in name only, but they still had lifeguard chairs AND "lifeguards" sitting in them. Their entire job was to sit there for nine innings, looking "lifeguardish" and watching the baseball game.

I asked one of them about it, and he said there were a LOT of people auditioning for THAT role!

__________________

Visit our website (work in progress) http://www.mousetraveler.tv
Visit our blog (will NEVER be finished)
http://www.mousetraveler.tv/blog
On Twitter as 'MouseTraveler' and 'BigBlueMan'

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

MouseTraveler wrote:
Brad wrote:
MouseTraveler wrote:
For me (as a rapidly aging baby boomer), the best part of the water park is the lazy river.

One of the best jobs at Disney HAS to be a life guard on that thing. The water is only a couple of feet deep. I asked one of the life guards once if they REALLY needed to be there, and he told me you'd be surprised what people can get in to in two feet of water.

Sadly we would probably be surprised at what kind of trouble people can get themselves into all over WDW...especially with that many kids around.



Best job I ever saw was several years I was at an Atlanta Braves baseball game with a group of TV people. We were guests of CNN, so we watched the game from a private area called "Turner Beach".

Of course it was a 'beach' in name only, but they still had lifeguard chairs AND "lifeguards" sitting in them. Their entire job was to sit there for nine innings, looking "lifeguardish" and watching the baseball game.

I asked one of them about it, and he said there were a LOT of people auditioning for THAT role!

And that was probably when the Braves were good (but not quite good enough) every year, so worth watching.

Kelly's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/08/2009
Posts: 66

greebil wrote:
kelly, do you live in orlando?


no I dont

__________________

Kelly
www.travelwiththemagic.com
[email protected]magic.com
1-800-670-4312

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

Maybe I'm a minority, but I enjoy the water parks. I do think they're worth a visit; though maybe not every trip. I've not found them to be unreasonably crowded. Depends on the time of year and time of day, as with any park. One of the things I do like about the water parks is that you still have your late afternoon and evening free on the days you go to one.

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

LifeIsForLiving wrote:
Maybe I'm a minority, but I enjoy the water parks. I do think they're worth a visit; though maybe not every trip. I've not found them to be unreasonably crowded. Depends on the time of year and time of day, as with any park. One of the things I do like about the water parks is that you still have your late afternoon and evening free on the days you go to one.

Heh, we usually have our late afternoon and evenings free on park days too. We usually go early and then check out when the park starts getting full. We'll often come back in the evenings, but often not as well.

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

cdub wrote:
LifeIsForLiving wrote:
Maybe I'm a minority, but I enjoy the water parks. I do think they're worth a visit; though maybe not every trip. I've not found them to be unreasonably crowded. Depends on the time of year and time of day, as with any park. One of the things I do like about the water parks is that you still have your late afternoon and evening free on the days you go to one.

Heh, we usually have our late afternoon and evenings free on park days too. We usually go early and then check out when the park starts getting full. We'll often come back in the evenings, but often not as well.



I normally don't get the park hopper option because we're normally at the main parks from open to close. I'm thinking about getting the ten day MYW this trip though so we can save some on subsequent trips. If I do that, I'll get the no expiration (obviously) and probably the PH option.

Annie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 1610

LifeIsForLiving wrote:
I normally don't get the park hopper option because we're normally at the main parks from open to close. I'm thinking about getting the ten day MYW this trip though so we can save some on subsequent trips. If I do that, I'll get the no expiration (obviously) and probably the PH option.


I think that's what Millie was saying she and her DH do--get the 10-day no expiration and make it last for several trips. It's a great idea, especially as park tickets have been going up in price almost every year.

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

Annie wrote:
LifeIsForLiving wrote:
I normally don't get the park hopper option because we're normally at the main parks from open to close. I'm thinking about getting the ten day MYW this trip though so we can save some on subsequent trips. If I do that, I'll get the no expiration (obviously) and probably the PH option.

I think that's what Millie was saying she and her DH do--get the 10-day no expiration and make it last for several trips. It's a great idea, especially as park tickets have been going up in price almost every year.



Yep, that's where I got the idea. It is a great idea. I figure, if you make that last three trips, the third one is basically free.

MouseTraveler's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2009
Posts: 919

I commented earlier about the best thing for me was the Lazy River. Since I have ZERO desire to hurtle nearly straight down into a pool of water, they should offer a "lazy river" discounted ticket.

I'd pay to go in for a couple of hours, walk around and look at the sights and just float the river for a bit.

Logistically it probably wouldn't work, but it would be a good idea. (for ME, anyway)

__________________

Visit our website (work in progress) http://www.mousetraveler.tv
Visit our blog (will NEVER be finished)
http://www.mousetraveler.tv/blog
On Twitter as 'MouseTraveler' and 'BigBlueMan'

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

MouseTraveler wrote:
I commented earlier about the best thing for me was the Lazy River. Since I have ZERO desire to hurtle nearly straight down into a pool of water, they should offer a "lazy river" discounted ticket.

I'd pay to go in for a couple of hours, walk around and look at the sights and just float the river for a bit.

Logistically it probably wouldn't work, but it would be a good idea. (for ME, anyway)

Maybe you could just stay in the Lazy River all night and get your discount that way. 1 ticket for 2 days on the river.

MouseTraveler's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2009
Posts: 919

dsoup wrote:
Maybe you could just stay in the Lazy River all night and get your discount that way. 1 ticket for 2 days on the river.


And the 'prune skin' comes at no extra charge either! yuck

__________________

Visit our website (work in progress) http://www.mousetraveler.tv
Visit our blog (will NEVER be finished)
http://www.mousetraveler.tv/blog
On Twitter as 'MouseTraveler' and 'BigBlueMan'

LifeIsForLiving's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/06/2009
Posts: 1596

MouseTraveler wrote:
I commented earlier about the best thing for me was the Lazy River. Since I have ZERO desire to hurtle nearly straight down into a pool of water, they should offer a "lazy river" discounted ticket.

I'd pay to go in for a couple of hours, walk around and look at the sights and just float the river for a bit.

Logistically it probably wouldn't work, but it would be a good idea. (for ME, anyway)



The parks where the water park portion is included would be great for you. Two that come to mind are Holiday World in Santa Clause, IN and Hershey Park (one of my favorites) in Hershey, PA.

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

I've always been surprised that they're not included in the WDW ticket honestly, a park hopper anyway. You get all the 4 major parks, but you're supposed to pay extra for a few minor ones. Seems kind of strange to me. I guess they're always crowded though, so they know better than I.