WDW - July 12-16, 2011

Login to post comments
38 posts / 0 new
WDW - July 12-16, 2011

Single traveler here - going to WDW next week! ...can't wait. Anyone on here going then? Just asking...

Actually, I was there last year as well and had a blast but I tried to do so much within each day it sort-of wore me out. This time, I'm hoping I'll slow down and absorb more.

Another obstervation I found was when I met up with some friends to do a Monorail Bar Crawl, MANY of the bars shut down at 11:00 pm - and that was in August! Wasn't to pleased about that.

Staying at Port Orleans - French Quarter ---> comments, suggestions?

Thanks for reading!

arbolita's picture

Since you're at Port Orleans, definitely take advantage of the boat the goes to and from Downtown Disney. It's a really nice ride/break from the buses, especially around sunset.

JustCar's picture

11 makes me sad

Oct 2009 POP
Sept 2011 POP
Oct 2013 Coronado
May 2014 AKL , Magic, AoA Girlie Trip
Oct 2014 CBR Pirate Room Girlie Trip
Nov 2014 DCL Fantasy 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, Girlie Trip, POR Royal Guest Suite, GF Concierge
August 2015 DCL Magic 7 Night Mediterranean
October 2015 DL Grand Californian, DCL Wonder Panama Canal

https://www.facebook.com/MsBubbles
https://www.facebook.com/MVTRavel

CarJust's picture

this makes me very sad....who shuts a bar down at 11???

RIGHT? During prime-time vacation time. It was at the Polynesian Resort. We were like, "What?" They had a sundry store so we wound up buying little bottles of wine and beer and sat in the lobby...near their closed bar. Wink

katrina1122's picture

Are you in NJ? Guessing from your name. I live near Trenton.

Wishin' I was at WDW!

Yep - Central Jersey...NOT near those crazy "Jersey Shore" kids. wink

Hi and welcome! POFQ is great - we've stayed twice now and will be back again in April.

They just finished refurbing so hopefully you will enjoy.

I spent a few years in Central Jersey myself - Flemington, to be exact. Worked in Edison. I think that's where I picked up the word "warshed" (as in, "I am going to warsh the car") and discovered the difference between going to the beach vs. going to the shore. laugh

lol - I hear ya' on the "waRsh" thing. Many have that here.

I live not too far at all from Edison -- Middlesex County. Changed over the years but I guess I'm just a Jersey kind of guy.. wink

I "was told" the renovations were done for POFQ...time will tell.

Anyone know of a good place to hang out at night...bar/club? I'm traveling solo and still trying to find a fun place. I hear Jellyrolls...but not sure as I've never been there. Oh, and I have no problem whatsoever going to a bar/club by myself. clapping

katrina1122's picture

jerseyleo wrote:
Yep - Central Jersey...NOT near those crazy "Jersey Shore" kids. wink

Thank God, lol!!!

If you do Pin Trading or just want to hang around Disney Fans DH and I have a Family Fun Pin Traders meetup group the first Sunday of every month at 12, though this month it's on the 10th at:
Family Fun Hobbies
731 Highway 33
Hamilton, NJ 08618

We're new, but the group is growing. Talk disney, wdw, listen to music, bring collectibles, pins. Bring friends! mickey

I'll be the one wearing a Sorcerer Mickey headband laugh

PreviewAttachmentSize
pintrading.jpg
pintrading.jpg54.89 KB

Wishin' I was at WDW!

OH HOW COOL IS THAT KATRINA!! Gah, I wish I lived in NJ!!

Bella's picture

JeffC wrote:

That is cool! I never knew you did that!! New Jersey people know how to have fun.

mickey Bella

katrina1122's picture

Bella wrote:
JeffC wrote:

That is cool! I never knew you did that!! New Jersey people know how to have fun.

Yeah, we just started the meetup group 2 or 3 months ago and we have pins in the showcase to sell or trade, but mainly trade. Sure it brings in people to our store, but it's more because DH and I wanted people to trade with, lol.

You guys should all come for a visit yay, we'll really party it up!

Wishin' I was at WDW!

Lizzy_B's picture

jerseyleo wrote:
Single traveler here - going to WDW next week! ...can't wait. Anyone on here going then? Just asking...

Actually, I was there last year as well and had a blast but I tried to do so much within each day it sort-of wore me out. This time, I'm hoping I'll slow down and absorb more.

Another obstervation I found was when I met up with some friends to do a Monorail Bar Crawl, MANY of the bars shut down at 11:00 pm - and that was in August! Wasn't to pleased about that.

Staying at Port Orleans - French Quarter ---> comments, suggestions?

Thanks for reading!

Good grief! 11?? Well, I think the Outer Rim and California Grill Lounge stay open later. I distinctly remember having a drink at the Outer Rim after work Smile And I worked until 11. So hopefully, things will be better this go 'round.

Bella's picture

katrina1122 wrote:
Sure it brings in people to our store, but it's more because DH and I wanted people to trade with, lol.

Can I be nosy and ask what kind of store you have?

mickey Bella

Bella's picture

Bella wrote:
katrina1122 wrote:
Sure it brings in people to our store, but it's more because DH and I wanted people to trade with, lol.

Can I be nosy and ask what kind of store you have?

Oh wait..I just re-read..I am assuming it's a hobby store?? That sounds cool..it must be awesome to go to work everyday.

mickey Bella

Thanks for the invite, Katrina. Your meeting events sound like a lot of fun! Perhaps when I get back I'll try to get over there to say, "Hello." Although, truth be told, I'm not much of a pin collector. I go for the Disney lanyards...lol...I use them for work.

Thanks everyone for responding to my initial thread! I'll post a report when I get back!

Till then..."Have a Magical Day..."

lol - it's amazing how they incorporate the one word, "magic," into almost every sentence they say.

katrina1122's picture

Bella - it's a hobby and game store. I don't actually work there, my dh does, I still have my county job, we haven't been open long enough to pay me what I make...someday. In the meantime most of my spare time is spent there.

Of course you can be loud. That's the point, we have tables in the back and there's always something going on, Family Boardgame Night every Tuesday, Model Rocket Class and Launch, Girl/Boy Scout Badge Stuff, Miniature Painting. There's not many dull momemnts.

Jerseyleo...don't worry if you don't collect pins, we spent an hour discussing the changes to Fantasyland and other speculations yesterday before anyone even swapped a pin, lol. Had disney music in the background, it's just a time to be Disney Geeks amongst friends.

Wishin' I was at WDW!

Mase's picture

katrina1122 wrote:
Bella - it's a hobby and game store. I don't actually work there, my dh does, I still have my county job, we haven't been open long enough to pay me what I make...someday. In the meantime most of my spare time is spent there.

Of course you can be loud. That's the point, we have tables in the back and there's always something going on, Family Boardgame Night every Tuesday, Model Rocket Class and Launch, Girl/Boy Scout Badge Stuff, Miniature Painting. There's not many dull momemnts.

Jerseyleo...don't worry if you don't collect pins, we spent an hour discussing the changes to Fantasyland and other speculations yesterday before anyone even swapped a pin, lol. Had disney music in the background, it's just a time to be Disney Geeks amongst friends.

That sounds like my store. Even more since you have a Disney pin trading night. I would love to find something like that around here!

- 2013 Trip Report!
- My Int3ractiv3 Trip R3port '12 - CLICK HERE!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

ChipnDaleFan's picture

Hmmm Hamilton is only about an hour and 15 from me. I'm going to have to try and get down there for one of these meetings!

Grovesnor offsite '93 ~ Port Orleans '94 ~ Port Orleans '95 ~ Caribbean Beach '97~ Carribbean Beach '99 ~ Caribbean Beach '00 ~ Offsite '02~ Caribbean Beach '08 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter '10 ~ Dolphin/Hilton '12-~All Star Sports '16

katrina1122's picture

That'd be great ChipnDaleFan!

Mase, DH is on a hobby and game store forum. Where do you live, if there's something near you, he can probably find it.

Wishin' I was at WDW!

Mase's picture

katrina1122 wrote:
That'd be great ChipnDaleFan!

Mase, DH is on a hobby and game store forum. Where do you live, if there's something near you, he can probably find it.

I live in Blacklick, Ohio (Dont really care if people publicly know... lol). If thats hard to look up, were close to Reynoldsburg and Pickerington. Thank ya!

- 2013 Trip Report!
[url='http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/pick-mases-dinner-disney']- My Interactive Trip Report '11[/url]

And if you don't mind, can he check and see if there's anything around Charlotte? mickey

katrina1122's picture

I'll email DH for you 2 right now.

Wishin' I was at WDW!

Mase's picture

katrina1122 wrote:
I'll email DH for you 2 right now.

banana

- 2013 Trip Report!

Hello, everyone. Back from WDW/Port Orleans - French Quarter. As promised, here's a quick report...

This time's experience was really fun but again, hectic. As I tried my best to slow things down, that never seemed to go my way. Wink

A few observations...PO-FQ, well, they seemed a bit snottier here than at the value resorts I've stay at in the past. Not that they were rude, but at least, the check-in lady never told me about anything unless I brought it up myself. For example, I had the Quick Service Meal Plan (free dining), when I asked her about it, she showed me the brochure and told me, "It's all in here." Well, that didn't sit so well with me. I asked about if my "Key" had the Hopper Park option which I originally ordered. Her response this time was, "Hmmm...let me check." Maybe it's me, but it just didn't seem professional. Overall, the PO-FQ, was a good deal for me. It was quieter than the Values, less kids, and as like any other Disney property, CLEAN...a nice thing to see.

The weather was tolerable with a few showers throughout the day...expected, of course. The parks were crowded but still do-able. I made it to the Boardwalk and it was D-E-A-D. Disney has to provide more transportation to that place in order for it to survive. It seems the only people that could get there are the Beach and Yacht Club residents as the ferrys shut down by 10 or 11pm. The two clubs there do not open until about 9pm. That didn't make sense to me.

Overall, I had a nice time. The Extra Magic Hours in the parks helped tremendously. However, I now think I should have waited a year or two before I went back to WDW. Not much has changed over the last year since I last went. Some of the time I was thinking to myself, "Hey, it seemed like I was on this just the other day." Perhaps I'll go again in another two or three years from now. At least then the new Fantasyland will be reopened. Also, it will give me some time to pay off all the bills I created during this trip! Wink

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments.

Forgot to add...I don't know how or why...but there were MANY groups of kids...day camps...summer camps...cheerleaders, from EVERY culture and nationality in the parks. We're talking 75 to 100 plus! ...no organization within the groups.

I heard they stayed in the Value Resorts, which is a good thing I didn't book the trip there. All these groups did was CHANT CHANT CHANT and again, CHANT around the parks AND on the rides! After a while enough was enough. We're talking middle to high school students. THAT became annoying, if anything...expecially during, "Fantasmic." Also heard there was tension between the groups at their resorts. One traveler called it, "...the West Side Story of Disney...Sharks vs. Jets."

Lizzy_B's picture

Jerseyleo, I'm glad there were bright spots! We have had a lot of rain lately, but I'm glad it wasn't too much of a nuisance. Wow with the cheerleaders and chanters. I thought they mostly did that kinda stuff during the quieter winter months, but I guess it's all the time now. There was a cheer group at the CBR the last time we stayed there, in February. But I imagine they would be at the values this time of year because of price.

Did you discover any new experiences or awesome treats this time?

jerseyleo wrote:
Forgot to add...I don't know how or why...but there were MANY groups of kids...day camps...summer camps...cheerleaders, from EVERY culture and nationality in the parks. We're talking 75 to 100 plus! ...no organization within the groups.

I heard they stayed in the Value Resorts, which is a good thing I didn't book the trip there. All these groups did was CHANT CHANT CHANT and again, CHANT around the parks AND on the rides! After a while enough was enough. We're talking middle to high school students. THAT became annoying, if anything...expecially during, "Fantasmic." Also heard there was tension between the groups at their resorts. One traveler called it, "...the West Side Story of Disney...Sharks vs. Jets."

The past few times we have been there there have been TONS of groups of TONS of students, like you said from all over the world. We noticed the same thing and it got annoying after a while. When we went to get in line for Toy story at HS at 9:15, (no emh) the line was already over 2 hrs, thanks to several tour groups (you can tell, they all have the same color shirts). There must've been 500 of them and I am not exaggerating! It was frustrating seeing them all in lines and sometimes hard to manuever through the huge groups on the streets/sidewalks. We have noticed this as a growing trend and not a happy one!
Hopefully they are all here in the summer and y'all coming down in the fall won't be as affected. We're going tomorrow for the day so we'll see.

Julie

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

Bella's picture

We've noticed that a lot of groups come in the Spring as well! I remember when POP first opened part of the appeal was that they would not allow big groups to stay there...does that still hold true?

mickey Bella

JustCar's picture

I hope so

Oct 2009 POP
Sept 2011 POP
Oct 2013 Coronado
May 2014 AKL , Magic, AoA Girlie Trip
Oct 2014 CBR Pirate Room Girlie Trip
Nov 2014 DCL Fantasy 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, Girlie Trip, POR Royal Guest Suite, GF Concierge
August 2015 DCL Magic 7 Night Mediterranean
October 2015 DL Grand Californian, DCL Wonder Panama Canal

https://www.facebook.com/MsBubbles
https://www.facebook.com/MVTRavel