December 2008 Holiday Trip Video

Login to post comments
23 posts / 0 new
December 2008 Holiday Trip Video

I've finally finished editing the video for my last trip this past December 2008. You may view it here:

Make sure you have your speakers on... Smile

It was such a fun trip.

Zz.

No longer an active member.

bali's picture

yay Thank you so much, Zz!! It's so cool to see the characters in their holiday garb...and I love that you got the Lights of Winter in there. That's one of my favorite holiday attractions.

Seeing the tree at AKL is amazing, too! But my favorite part is the end when you've got the slo-mo montage of the castle, fireworks, dumbo, etc... so cool! muchlove

May 2008 CSR mickey

Thanks bali.

I had a holiday party about a couple of weeks ago where almost everyone in that video showed up, along with others, and we had the premier of that video shown. It got quite a good reception, and those who didn't go were quite envious. Smile

Since 2003, this is the only way that I will preserve all video shots that we took during our Disney trips. They are a lot more enjoyable in the "music video" form, rather than showing endless footage of scenery, walking here and there, etc. At least other people didn't seem to mind watching it. The only drawback here is that it takes a lot of time cranking out one of these, and to do it well, you have to give it some thought to it, especially in choosing the right music, and choosing the right scenes to go with the music. That's why I think my [url= ]Expedition Pins video[/url] had the best marriage of the two as far as all the Disney trip videos that I've done.

Zz

cdub's picture

I was just going to comment on that very fact. By editing them and making a "highlight" reel, you take something that people would normally not want to watch and make it really interesting. Makes great use of your footage and it actually makes it into a memory, instead of something that will sit on a shelf gathering dust.

cdub wrote:
I was just going to comment on that very fact. By editing them and making a "highlight" reel, you take something that people would normally not want to watch and make it really interesting. Makes great use of your footage and it actually makes it into a memory, instead of something that will sit on a shelf gathering dust.

That's certainly the reason why I edited them. We got hours and hours of video footage, and even we don't have the patience to want to sit through them, no matter how memorable the trip was. So subjecting someone else to it would be a cruel and an unusual punishment.

Editing them this was make them actually fun to watch, or, in some case, [url=]make people cry[/url]! Smile I know many of my friends who do request to see the latest Disney video that I've made whenever they come and visit. And I always make DVDs with lots of edited videos, fireworks, and parades, and distribute them to my friends that appear in the footage. It makes a great gift because it reminds them of pleasant memories, and they know that I spent a lot of time and effort doing this. So it became a highly-appreciated gift.

Zz.

bali's picture

I've always wondered why people took video. So few of them actually sit through "here's us walking onto the monorail," "here's us walking into the hotel," "here's grandpa eating a waffle," "here's little Jimmy swimming."

Doing the video montage is a great way to make it watchable...but it takes TONS of time... Wink

May 2008 CSR mickey

dsoup's picture

Are you plotting out how you're going to use the footage as you take it Z?

bali wrote:
I've always wondered why people took video. So few of them actually sit through "here's us walking onto the monorail," "here's us walking into the hotel," "here's grandpa eating a waffle," "here's little Jimmy swimming."

Doing the video montage is a great way to make it watchable...but it takes TONS of time... Wink

Yup. I call video editing a "time blackhole". You could start, say, at 7:00 in the morning, and the next time you look up, it's 2:00 pm, and you're wondered why you're starving! Smile

And speaking of monorail, have you seen [url=]my monorail video[/url]? Smile

dsoup wrote:
Are you plotting out how you're going to use the footage as you take it Z?

That's a very good question. The answer is, it depends.

There have been times when, before the trip, I kinda know the music that I will be using for the video. So when that happens, I tend to plan out the kind of shots that I would want. Usually, it is based on the "theme" of the music, and often, it matches the theme of the trip. So for example, when for the [url= ]Expedition Pins[/url] trip, I kinda know that I will be using "Needles and Pins" as one of the music. So I know that I want lots of pictures of pins.

This has happened a few times where I already had a tune in mind when I go on a trip. However, more often than not, I do not have a music in mind, and this is when it is difficult for me to even start editing a video when I get back. I have often found myself not doing any editing up to 2 months after a trip, mainly because I'm still looking for an "inspiration", usually a piece of music, that I want to use. It is only when the music is set that I go around looking at the footage and pick out the ones that are suitable. This is also the point where I regret NOT knowing the music in advance so that I can get such-and-such shot, which, of course, is now too late since the trip is over.

So for me, the music always comes first, and then once that is picked, the videos editing to fit with the music comes next.

Zz.

Brad's picture

ZapperZ wrote:

So for example, when for the [url= ]Expedition Pins[/url] trip, I kinda know that I will be using "Needles and Pins" as one of the music. So I know that I want lots of pictures of pins.

As if you needed an excuse to go looking for Disney pins! silly

Brad wrote:
ZapperZ wrote:

So for example, when for the [url= ]Expedition Pins[/url] trip, I kinda know that I will be using "Needles and Pins" as one of the music. So I know that I want lots of pictures of pins.

As if you needed an excuse to go looking for Disney pins! silly

You know me too well! Smile

Zz.

bali's picture

ZapperZ wrote:

---------

So for me, the music always comes first, and then once that is picked, the videos editing to fit with the music comes next.

Zz.

Zz--monorail link isn't working. Would love to see it, though!

Also, music is so critical to those videos. Disney music especially can bring back so many memories. muchlove

May 2008 CSR mickey

bali wrote:
ZapperZ wrote:

---------

Zz.

Zz--monorail link isn't working. Would love to see it, though!

Also, music is so critical to those videos. Disney music especially can bring back so many memories. muchlove

Not sure how I mangled that url. In any case, here is the link:

Zz.

dsoup's picture

What's the song in that video?

dsoup wrote:
What's the song in that video?

"Johnny On The Monorail" by the Buggles.

If you recall, the Buggles has one notoriety, i.e. their "Video Killed The Radio Star" was the very first video played on MTV. Both "Video" and "Monorail" tunes appear on the same album called "Age of Plastic".

And yes, I already had this tune in mind and had wanted to do a "compilation" of all the monoral video that we've taken over the years. This was the result.

Zz.

cdub's picture

Are you a Buggles fan?

cdub wrote:
Are you a Buggles fan?

Not sure if I can call myself a Buggles fan when I only have that one album by them. I also don't know if they produced any more, besides having each of them as member of other groups.

Zz.

cdub's picture

Didn't those guys wind up in Yes?

cdub wrote:
Didn't those guys wind up in Yes?

I think one of them produced a couple of Yes album, and one of them ended up in Asia. ("It was the heat of the moment.... heat of the moment.....")

Zz.

SpaceAce's picture

Just took a look at the Monorail video! Really craving a WDW trip now, Z, thanks a lot!

Funny to see the "old-timey" editing--it made it seem like Disney World existed back in the 1800's!

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

SoloFriendly's picture

I finally got a chance to look at this, Zapper! Great job! I really loved the music you picked to go with it.

Gray
SoloFriendly.com

Mike&Donna's picture

Here I am...behind the times again! I just found this one and I gotta say...ZapperZ...these are amazing!

So when do you hold photo/video editing classes? We would so love to be members of that class!

Life is what you make it...then there's Disney!!!

Mike&Donna wrote:
Here I am...behind the times again! I just found this one and I gotta say...ZapperZ...these are amazing!

Thank you. Glad you like them.

Quote:
So when do you hold photo/video editing classes? We would so love to be members of that class!

You have to pick a number. They already wanted me to do a WDW photography tour first. laugh

Zz.

admin's picture

Mike&Donna wrote:

We're all in line! mickey