December 2009 Trip

Login to post comments
76 posts / 0 new
December 2009 Trip

Hello Everyone,

It's time for another trip to WDW. I leave very early tomorrow morning and will be there till Dec. 9. This promises to be a jam-packed trip full of many things to do. We have tickets for not one, but two Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, we have tickets to a Wishes Dessert party, a ticket to a Yuletide Fantasy tour, a dinner reservation at Boma, and we plan on attending the DVC members Merry Mixer. On top of that, we plan on also coming to the World of Disney Doorbusters to check out all the tremendous deal. If this is like last year, it promises to be a ZOO!

I will try to post my report on each day's activities on here. If you check out my blog, you'll also get not only my "live" blogging report, but Donald will also be reporting periodically from the most Magical Place on Earth. As you can guess, he's very excited to be going back home, and both of us think that we won't be getting much sleep tonight since we are way too pumped up to sleep.

Anyhow, I still have lots of packing to do. Will try to post some more before we leave for the airport tomorrow morning.

Zz.

No longer an active member.

Brad's picture

yay

Sounds like a blast ZZ. Be sure and check in with us! Try to have a little extra fun for me!

Vettelover's picture

Zz have a great trip, and be sure to keep us posted. We will be attending WDW through you! Hope you have great weather and short lines. mickey Enjoy the Christmas decoration's (sorry I am not politically correct, I still say Christmas instead of X-mas or Holidays) laugh Also if you get a chance be sure to attend the Candlelight Processional it is a fantastic experience and well worth the price of admission (free). We went last year and loved it so much that we attended a second performance two nights later.

We are all packed and ready to go! We should get into Orlando by around 11:00 am. Plenty of time to get to our resort and then do lunch before heading out to the Magic Kingdom. We have to stop by Downtown Disney first to pick up the renewal for our annual passes.

My next transmission will be from the Most Magical Place on Earth!

Zz.

MrHub's picture

Have fun Zapperz. Sounds like a great trip already!

SoloFriendly's picture

Have a great trip! I can't wait to read your report (and see photos!) from this trip! yay

Gray
SoloFriendly.com

Annie's picture

Zapperz, I'm so excited for you and Donald! I'm looking forward to reading both your reports and his!

Have a wonderful and safe trip.

Greetings from the Most Magical Place on Earth!

We made it early to WDW and our room was also ready. We are at Congress Park of SSR, and facing the lagoon of Downtown Disney. Can't ask for a better location. It is only a 5 minute walk to Marketplace.

Had lunch at Wolfgang Express Cafe - had the Moo Shu chicken pocket and a side of grilled vegetables.

The weather couldn't be any more perfect. Very low humidity, and in the 70's. We originally thought that we wanted to go to the Magic Kingdom, but it closes at 7 pm tonight due to a MVMCP. So we decided to just hang out at Downtown Disney, take a nap, and wait for the rest of our group to fly in this afternoon before planning on dinner tonight. We might as well turn in early since we've been up since 3:00 am today.

Pictures later...

Zz.

Here are the pictures from today.

This is the lobby of SSR when we checked in.

We got a great room here at Congress Park. This is the view out of our room, overlooking the lagoon across from Downtown Disney

We went to Downtown Disney and had lunch at Wolfgang Puck Express Cafe. I had the Moo Shu chicken pocket, and my partner had the chicken melt. They were delicious!

While we were walking around Marketplace, there was a princess parade consisting of girls who had done all the princess costumes and make up. I didn't know they had this there. They all headed to the carousel and got to ride it as part of the package, I guess.

On our way back to SSR, we saw the hot air balloon up in the air. This is certainly the perfect day for it.

We're resting a bit for now while we wait for the rest of our group to arrive. We might turn in early today since tomorrow's going to be quite busy, especially with the Yuletide Fantasy tour in the afternoon.

Zz.

Vettelover's picture

Zz this is a wonderful in progress trip report. I realize this is cutting into your trip time somewhat, But keep it up, the pictures are great. We are there through you and your photo's. awesome

Imagineer's picture

The envy level is pretty high here as I get ready for work. waiting laugh

Hope you have a Magical trip zz. I'll be following along.

mickey Upcoming Trips mickey

July 2010 - Old Key West

Oct 2010 - Boardwalk Villas

Vettelover wrote:
Zz this is a wonderful in progress trip report. I realize this is cutting into your trip time somewhat, But keep it up, the pictures are great. We are there through you and your photo's. awesome

Thank you. I'm glad you like it, and it is always fun to share good things like this (not so fun to share, say, H1N1 virus) Smile

Here are more reports from our excursion at Downtown Disney last night. We had a leisurely evening after the rest of our group showed up, and had dinner again at Wolfgang Puck Cafe. While the lunch in the afternoon was good, dinner was disappointing. Here's a hint: do not order the pizza! The crust was limp and tasteless! This was odd because Wolfgang Puck made his name with Spago and these gourmet Californian pizza - he gave birth to the concept. So it was strange that the pizza were awful. Stick to the sandwiches and the salads when you go to his cafe.

Here are a couple of nighttime pictures around Downtown Disney.

Merchandise! I thought this collection of Donald baseballs in WoD was cute. Too bad Donald wasn't here to see this.

Window display. Boy, do we have them all over the place. Here are some of them.

Today, we will be heading to Epcot. at 1:30, we have our Yuletide Fantasy tour. I'll try to take pictures of the on-stage area of the tour. They obviously will not allow pictures from the backstage area.

Zz.

SpaceAce's picture

I love seeing the beautiful garlands in the hotels -- they're always stunning. And that food at Wolfgang Puck's looks incredible. It's been a while since I've been there and I'll have to make a trip there soon, I think! Too bad about the pizza -- time for a visit from Wolfgang!

Really looking forward to any photos you're allowed to take on the Yuletide Fantasy tour, also. It's always been something we've wanted to try.

Thank you so much for these great updates. Waking up to snow here this morning means that photos of the Florida sunshine are even more appreciated!

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

admin's picture

yeah

I've been waiting for Zapperz' Disney Holiday photos for a whole year!!! I still remember the amazing ones from last year, Zapperz. Can't wait to see more!

These are fantastic. Going to go look at them again...

...and then go check to see if Donald has stopped in at the blog...

A late report from yesterday, because I was exhausted after I got back to our resort. It was a long, but fun day, and luckily, the worst part of the rain came after we got back.

We started the day at Epcot.

We did Soarin' and Test Track, which didn't have very long lines at all. This allowed us to be on the stand-by lines at Soarin' and Test Track, and did a fast-pass on Soarin'.

I encountered this bin full of Figment on the way out from the Figment attraction.

It was then time for our Yuletide Fantasy Tour. I can only show the on-stage pictures, but we did go backstage several times, including the holiday decoration center.

This is the tour group walking to the bus, which happened to be the cruise line bus.

We had WONDERFUL cast members tour guides. Jeff and Walt (yes, a "Walt" working at Disney) were a lot of fun. They certainly made the tour very enjoyable and we would certainly take this tour again if we can get them.

The next few pictures are our stop at various World Showcase pavilion that were part of the tour highlights.

The tree at the America Pavilion

...and there's a hidden Mickey in the tree!

When we got to the Grand Floridian, there was a couple who just got married in the middle of having their photographs taken. So I took the opportunity to photograph them as well!

The next few photos are from the Grand Floridian, including the Gingerbread house.

More to come...

Zz.

bali's picture

YAY! I'm so excited to see all of these! Just went to see how Donald's enjoying his trip as well. That photo of him on his pin store statue is hilarious!

I love the shot of the wedding couple -- what a fun memory for them!

Thanks for the info about the Yuletide tour. I can only imagine how interesting that would be. I'd love to hear about the World Showcase pavilions.

May 2008 CSR mickey

Brad's picture

It really is fun to see all the Christmas stuff. Wish we could have made it down there for Christmas this year. How are the crowd levels ZapperZ? They look fairly low from the pictures.

Brad wrote:
It really is fun to see all the Christmas stuff. Wish we could have made it down there for Christmas this year. How are the crowd levels ZapperZ? They look fairly low from the pictures.

The crowd so far are quite manageable. It isn't too bad, especially in the morning. So no complains so far.

Zz.

Continuing from yesterday's report, we are still with the Yuletide Fantasy tour...

After visiting the Grand Floridian, we stopped over at the Magic Kingdom where various holiday decorations and traditions there were presented. Strangely enough, the main MK trees both at the Hub and at Town Hall square were not there yet (we will later see them backstage at the Holiday services). I think they will be put up some time this week, so we should get to see them during MVMCP this weekend.

Our cast member Jeff explained that this window on Main Street is dedicated to all Cast Members.

We then went to Holiday services where we get to see where they store and make many of the decorations all over WDW.

After the tour was over, we went to the Magic Kingdom to see SpectroMagic and Wishes. We were rained on a little bit during SpectroMagic towards the end, and had a bit of a drizzle during Wishes.

We always like it when the mountain opens to reveal Chernabog.

On the way out at the end of the evening, I took a couple more pictures.

Zz.

We had a late start yesterday, sleeping in a bit since we knew that it was going to be a long day. After having a light breakfast in our room, we then went over to the Boardwalk to have a light lunch and to look around the decorations.

This is a window display on Screendoor, the gift store on the Boardwalk.

While we were looking around, we saw a blimp over the Beach Club.

The decoration inside the resort was done quite well. The gingerbread house dominates the decor, of course.

I think there are 15 hidden mickeys on the gingerbread house. They weren't that difficult to spot. We found a few. Here's one.

The rest of the holiday decorations at the resort.

We then proceeded to the DVC Members Merry Mixer at the World Gateway. That will be the next report.a

Zz.

SpaceAce's picture

I think that's one of my favorite gingerbread creations I've ever seen! Did Donald see that he's halfway out of the chimney?! Can't wait to read the blog about that one!

These pictures are fantastic. I loved hearing about the Yuletide tour -- definitely something I'd like to do.

I'm glad you're having a great time, Zapperz!

[url=http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/'http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

2010 Beach Club Resort
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2007 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 CBR/Polynesian

Just a quick report because I need to go to bed rather soon. We just got back from a very wet, soggy, and cold MVMCP and the Wishes Dessert party. We still had a lot of fun, and they certainly have improved the seating area for the Wishes Dessert. Now the lighting in that area is dimmer than when we went there the first time, and you get to view the fireworks a lot clearer. The dessert is still as plentiful and as wonderful/decadent as we remembered it from last time.

I need to sleep soon because the World of Disney Doorbuster event for annual passholders is tomorrow morning starting at 6:30 am. The first 500 or 700 guests get a free gift! So we're going to be showing up to get our wristbands by 5:30 just in case. We will then shop till we drop tomorrow, since merchandises are expected to be between 30 to 50% off! This is before one takes off another 10% for passholder or Disney Visa. So it will be quite a deal!

More later!

Zz.

[Yawn!]

I'm back from the World of Disney Doorbuster event. It was a madhouse, but it wasn't that big of a pandemonium as last year. It was more well-organized this time around.

Unfortunately, unlike last year, there wasn't that many sale items. The stuff that were on sale were not something I would want. So I only got a few stuff and spent less than $200 for all of them. So the good part of today is that I didn't spend that much money.

Anyway, we are back at our resort, and will resume our sleep before meeting up with our friends around Noon today to go to Epcot.

Nighty night!

Zz.

Annie's picture

Thanks for the updates and GORGEOUS photos, Zapperz! It's definitely putting me in the holiday spirit.

I'm both sorry that you couldn't find any spectacular items and glad that you didn't spend too much at World of Disney. Shopping is a double edged sword to be sure!

Happy napping -- we're looking forward to more photos.

(Also, sounds like it's been pretty rainy over there for the past few days -- is it just hitting you at night, or is it pretty overcast all the time?)

Have fun!!

Yesterday, it rained the whole day non-stop. It was pure luck that we had our Wishes Dessert party last night, or else we would have been soggy as well. Having the dessert party at least gave us not only a place to sit down, but also to stay dry while viewing the fireworks. We have another MVMCP tomorrow night without the dessert party, but the weather looks to be quite good for that one. So we'll snap pictures and video for that one.

Well, I'm finally up from my morning nap, but I feel as if I need another hour or so. Still, we have plans today at Epcot, so I'm going to drag myself up and out. Today, some of our friends will be doing Candlelight, while we go do our stuff and find a good place for Illuminations. I think my favorite spot will be taken up by those who have the Candlelight package, so I have to find other places. The sky should be clearing up by the evening (crossing fingers).

Zz.

caitiesus's picture

The holiday pictures are great - that tour looked like a lot of fun!

They actually just ran a special on Disney Decorating on HGTV - it was really cool! They showed the warehouses where everything is stored, the gingerbread houses being made, and things getting put up!! It was really interesting.

Vettelover's picture

caitiesus: I watched that same show the other night and likewise thought it was very informative. However in my opinion the host, whatever his name was, was very annoying. Any thoughts on that aspect of it??

caitiesus's picture

I didn't think he was too annoying - but I watch him in other shows all the time (I LOVE HGTV). I completely see how he could be annoying at first though!

admin's picture

Who was the host? Why do I think it was that guy who won The Next Design Star?

Zapperz -- fingers crossed that you have an un-soggy Candlelight tonight and MVMCP tomorrow! I'm looking forward to hearing the updates!

Also, just stopped by to see Donald visit the BOardwalk on your blog -- very fun!

caitiesus's picture

admin wrote:

Yep, it was the guy who own in 2007!

Annie's picture

caitiesus wrote:
admin wrote:

Yep, it was the guy who own in 2007!

Ah! David something. An interesting fellow, to be sure! I'll have to catch that special when I next scan the DVR listings!

Did you guys see the Disneyland Holiday treats Guy Fieri special tonight?

(Sorry to hijack, Zapperz!)